The Racing Line - Performance Motoring Magazine SUB ISSUE ENTRIES CLOSED (Slots open for Potto to review quickly) - RIFT AND TAUGA REVIEW OUT

Well, hypercar owners need some car to go shopping too, so… :smile:

2 Likes

To be brutally honest, I haven’t read the article. I don’t have any interest on those particular cars, so I just went through the images and layout.

First and foremost, I would like to say that it looks really well made, meaning that what I’ll say below might seem like pettiness, but actually considering the high standards here I think that some constructive criticism could be nice, in order to achieve the professional look and feel that you three seemed to go for here. Sometimes it isn’t even worth bothering to suggest alterations, because the work has been so sloppy, which isn’t the case here at all.

As usual, @squidhead’s work looks very realistic, but once again I notice that the wheels are inconsistent, each image of the cars have a different set of wheels. I know that changing the wheels would mean an extra amount of work, however, I think it would really make a difference to the realism transmitted through the images.

As for layout, it seems to have been a case of fitting the article to the template, and not custom making them, meaning it ends up looking repetitive over the pages. Also, the little ad looks very much out of place, and also placing them in the same spot every time made it quite obvious that you were just using it as a space filler, to which I suggest varying image placement between different pages, or the quotations, so it ends up looking slightly different. Next time, maybe you could use smaller text, as the proportion between image and text size would be way off, considering the traditional A4 paper used in paper magazines.

But as I said, great work here, I’m just giving some feedback on what you could do to improve even more.

1 Like

Great magazine! I would love to see some more! :slight_smile:

I loved the magazine, each article felt like you had really driven each car and your writing skill made me want to read all the write-ups, not just the ones that interested me.

I did find a couple of errors in the write-up of my car though. My company name is Bogliq, the car is called Shelob and I never had Strop’s help in any way when I made that car! Your write-up gives the impression that the Shelob wasn’t 100% my effort. It is true that I reached out to Strop for advice on going fast and he was able to coach me on areas I was getting wrong but GG never helped develop the Shelob. :grin:

But these are small matters… I am deeply honored that you chose to test my car and you did an epic write-up. My car was meant for the road as well as the track and your write-up reflected that. I look forward to reading issue #2!!! :heart_eyes:

Thank you for the comments! Yeah in hindsight the ads are really poorly placed and are the biggest complaint but that was because @rk38 only gave me 595x842 size pictures. I wanted to do full page ones but oh well… Still not an excuse for poor layout.

What’s a good font size? I thought this was the absolute smallest I could use and ended up cutting alot of text just to make the space.

@HighOctaneLove Yeah sorry, your company thread made me think GG had some hand in it :smile:

1 Like

I can corroborate on this. As I was proof-reading I can’t remember whether I brought this up or I simply overlooked it.

One reason HOL is so damn proud of the car is precisely because this is the ultra car Boqliq made without GG’s input. Not that we actually ever made any hypercars with Boqliq, rather, we just provided some consultation on aggressive turbo tuning some years back.

1 Like

Considering you’re using an a4 sized background, I guess that using fonts as small as 12 or 14 should be big enough. Looking at the article on my phone shows that it might not have been a problem, while in my 23" monitor, it certainly looked big, probably helped by the fact that the size got locked and I couldn’t zoom out as much as I wanted. (Those issues are from my side)

Font size is 10,5.

Do you think I can get away with smaller fonts?

No, not really. What was the template size?

Edit: actually many you could, as long as you keep the proportions good, so it is readable when zooming out. Or you could make the page itself bigger, give it more pixels, because as I said, the proportions aren’t quite there, considering a paper magazine as a benchmark. However, that might end up being an issue for the photoshops, so I don’t know.

Page size is A4.

Sorry about that I made them A4 but seems like they got compressed and I didn’t realise. Otherwise, I could of resend full page ones or redone them as smaller ads. But I suppose these are lessons for next time.

2 Likes

The thing is that the ad alone looks like what its supposed to, but apart from that, it doesn’t interact with the page they way a real ad does… just looks out of place. I said this before to you, Deskyx, I know.

##Sub ISSUE OPEN

I’m considering doing a sub issue in between the bigger more fleshed out ones. I plan to cover the performance compacts market this time around, as perhaps covering hypercars may not be so interesting anymore.

Rules are pretty lax.

1. Under 50K sale price
  2. Of reasonable performance for the class (that means that 1000 HP thing of yours is out of the question @koolkei)
  3. I will be in it. I think I’ve proven myself rather bias free when reviewing my own cars with the previous issue.
  4. Max 7 entries.
  5. Must be a performance variant of a compact car. No dedicated sports cars even if they share platforms.
4 Likes

Can I reserve a spot for Luna? :slight_smile:

Not sure if my Cadence Sport would be a good fit or not. At 265hp it will probably be well behind the pack, but at $21500 and 31mpg it should be by far the most affordable!

Would you ever consider doing classics (60’s-80’s)? If so I would very much like one of my cars to be entered, if you don’t mind.

Great job with the magazine by the way, to all of you. :thumbsup:

I might already have a car or two that would be good for a comparison like this. Might as well get to work before all the spots fill up I guess.

I could send a sporty version of the Quasar I’ve rolled out recently.

Confirmation of all the cars so far on the list @Deskyx?

How can there be one? No one sent in a car yet.

So far those asking for reservations:

1. @szafirowy01
  2. @Rk38

That’s pretty much it. So 5 spots left.

Do note like the previous issue, I’m not declaring a winner.