The TCS for Automation Exports have gone completely haywire

With the new update there have been a number of crucial changes as seen in the changelog. But one that doesn’t really tell me very much is the item that reads “small change to 5% of the core physics” or something like that.

However it’s made a very noticeable change to the behaviour of Automation exports, particularly high power ones. Take a look at this debug:

As you can see I have multiple modes of TCS in this car (Jormungandr in case you’re wondering). In the most permissive mode I set the threshold to 0.5, which worked perfectly well before. Launch the car hard and as you can see the slip shoots past the threshold before being reined in. That’s fine.

What’s not fine is that the throttle keeps cutting out far beyond my specified limits. Before this I set the proportional factor and the integral factor and the line would dampen out quickly but smoothly. As you can see here it oscillates a fair bit… actually far more than it used to, so I wonder if the way the game interprets these values have changed.

But the biggest problem of all is that for some reason even when I set the minimum throttle to well over 0, the throttle keeps cutting out with very little provocation, or if I even turn the steering wheel which would not produce a lot of slip anyway. In short the problem is that the throttle keeps cutting out well before hitting the slip threshold and it can be quite unpredictable:

This is heading through the Evardsen Esses. I’ve done my level best to keep good throttle control hence the line’s pretty smooth. Straighten up and change gears and the gear engagement caused a bit of a blip but nowhere near the limit of the slip and sudenly the throttle cuts out completely, opens for a fraction of a second before cutting out again completely.

EDIT: what I really need to emphasise here is that not only does the throttle cut out at inappropriate times, especially the moment you turn the steering wheel, but it’s unpredictable. I could be turning and if I mash the throttle the wheels blow right through the slip threshold and just spin.

Note if there’s any behaviour change in the Beam Vanilla cars it doesn’t seem to be noticeable, at least not in this manner. Could somebody please look into what changed?

6 Likes