Thecarlover's mods & WIPs

Seems like awesome giant cruiser incoming here. Keep up the good work!

Oh, I like the look of that! A car like that, it begs to have the best luxury seating and all the goodies, and a massive engine.

Thatā€™ll be quite fun, I think.

Niiice! Those Continentals are fine looking cars.

Nice, keep up the good work.

Thanks guys!

I chose the Lincoln Continental because itā€™s a great looking car (Iā€™d love to own a 1963 convertible one someday), but also because of how simple the bodywork isā€¦ well, I was wrong. So many subtle curves in the bodywork, and Iā€™m too much of a perfectionist to ignore them (except just enough to make the car fairly generic), so itā€™s taking longer than the van. Iā€™m also trying to make it higher quality, so thereā€™s that.

Anyways, hereā€™s a nice view of some progress on that. I figure itā€™ll be pretty smooth sailing once I take care of the quarter panels.

Love me some slab-side Lincons. Canā€™t wait. :stuck_out_tongue:

Progress update:

Thatā€™s the hardtop, but Iā€™ll also get a convertible done. Iā€™m also considering making a coupe version (same wheelbase), though that likely wonā€™t be right away.

Canā€™t wait for release of it (not forcing to do it btw). The weird thing is that it looks like great GT cruiser that would mount huge V12 and can be directed to Europe.

Looking forward to it, actually. Nice big highway cruiser that should be able to swallow up a simply massive V8, or a comfortably big V12. Those older Lincoln Continentals were very beautiful cars. Canā€™t wait to make a wonderful luxury car with one.

Figured itā€™s time for another progress update. I got 3ds Max running on my new laptop now, and unlike my old one, I can model and run Automation at the same time without any lag. :smiley:

Iā€™ve just got to finish the bumpers and make the mirrors and the mesh will be complete (provided I donā€™t see anything I need to change)

Looks nice. Do you have any prior experience with other programs before Max? :slight_smile:

Just Sketchup. If youā€™ve ever used that, you can understand why I had so many issues making the first model. I needed tutorials just to draw in 3ds Max, whereas Sketchup is basically like MS Paint for 3D modelling.

I hope you test it with a maxed out v12, we need something that can take any engine, no matter the size.

Usually the issue is the height of the engine bay, so mid-engine layout (or some kind of gigantic pickup or SUV) are the only ones that could get the height without a huge power bulge of some kind. That being said, Iā€™ll see what I can do while keeping the car realistic.

[quote=ā€œthecarloverā€]

Usually the issue is the height of the engine bay, so mid-engine layout (or some kind of gigantic pickup or SUV) are the only ones that could get the height without a huge power bulge or a hole in the hood. That being said, Iā€™ll see what I can do while keeping the car realistic.[/quote]

Since adding Outliner, 3ds Max on my Windows 10 laptop is very laggy and tends to freeze for 5-10 secs when clicking most things in the UI or after switching back from another program, so does anyone have any idea how I can remove it? I canā€™t find any information anywhere, and uninstalling 3ds Max and deleting all associated folders (at least, I think I got them all) didnā€™t help as itā€™s still there after reinstalling. 3ds Max is barely usable right now, so I canā€™t exactly keep working this way.

Hmmm, think youā€™ll need to track down the plugins folder for 3dsmax on your PC and delete the outliner files from there.

Strange that itā€™s running slowly though

[quote=ā€œDaffyflyerā€]

Hmmm, think youā€™ll need to track down the plugins folder for 3dsmax on your PC and delete the outliner files from there.

Strange that itā€™s running slowly though[/quote]

There are no Outliner files anywhere except the .mzp that I dragged into the viewport, so I donā€™t know. Changing compatibility settings for 3ds Max to Windows 7 didnā€™t solve the issue, but it works when running through the ā€œTest the programā€ function of the compatibility troubleshooter. I can use that for now until a more permanent solution can be found.

Iā€™m trying to export the model, but whenever I do I get an error message immediately after saying ā€œAn error has occurred and the application will now close. Do you want to attemp to save a copy of the current scene?ā€ It does export, but when I try to open the car in-game, the game crashes. This only happens with the skinned model, the unskinned one (with only the mesh exported) exports without any issues. Does anyone know what this error could be?

Iā€™ve had that sometimes, you could try saving out the .env (envelopes) file from the skin modifier. Deleting the skin modifier, reapplying the skin modifier, then loading up the .env file onto the skin again.