Thecarlover's mods & WIPs

@conan, if I may offer some concrit of my own:

[quote]The first couple cars you made had very flat sides, so I looked up some reference photos of the Range Rover which make the curve of the side of the vehicle more clear.
[images]
You can see how massive the curve of the side of the vehicle is. Even with boxy cars like the Hummer H1 and Land Rover, that’s been a part of car design for a long time. Replicating that in your meshes will make your cars a lot better.[/quote]

Do you see the difference between what I just said and what you said? The insults in your original post were completely superfluous to your point.

@conan

This is the only Trans Sport blueprint available, and so this was my main reference for the model. Even reference photos of it have the sides nearly flat aside from the top and bottom, which curve in quite a bit. The fairly flat sides are based on what the real model is like, which is why my Lamborghini models very curved sides. Don’t assume I can’t make curved sides, I’ve just mostly been making cars with fairly flat sides, especially earlier on when I was not as comfortable with 3ds Max. As for how fast I was making them, that’s simply because I had a lot of free time and focussed on modelling, so if I took 3 days to make a body I would easily spend 40 hours making that body and even more depending on how complicated the design was. As Packbat pointed out, there’s a difference between constructive criticism and insulting criticism, and I will not tolerate the latter. You don’t have to like my mods and you don’t have to download them, but you have no reason to be insulting.

Maybe it was unnecessary. I apologize for that then. But if one day you wish to make your mods better. Would this blueprint be better for such job?

Thank you, I accept your apology. I have considered reworking that one slightly to accomodate a larger engine, and if I do end up doing so, I will likely rework the sides a bit to increase the curvature, but no guarantees on that. The Range Rover is my current priority, and followed by versions of the pickup with bed covers. With school and work at the moment, progress will be slower than in December.

No smoothing done yet, and I still need to define the seams of the bumpers and the top of the hood, but the rest of the mesh is finished unless some tweaking needs to be done.

Getting there! I should have the 4-door version done either late today or sometime tomorrow, and I’ll release the coupe (and possible pickup) at a later date.

Edit: I need opinions! For the version with body-coloured pillars, which would be best? Not necessarily better looking, but as a good alternative to all the pillars being black.

Something went wrong…

…I’ve built a car for ants.

Anyone have any idea why this happened? The scaling in 3ds Max is fine (about 500 cm long, about 90 cm wide, and just over 150 cm tall), and I haven’t done anything to the .lua to shrink it.

That’s actually great.

It’s basically a 1/4 scale model. Until I add a chassis and it just looks like the body of a toy sitting in the middle of it.

I actually prefer the one with the door pillars being body colored, but that’s just me.

I’ll mark one vote for that.

Just to be clear, there will be a version will all black pillars like the real Range Rover. This is just for the body coloured version, to either have the B pillar black or body coloured.

I is of agreement. All colour pillars or no pillars.

^ I concur… I think. In actual English: I prefer the all-or-none body color approach.

Then all colour it is. Now to try and figure out why it’s so tiny…

I would suggest a version with the B and C pillars black, but the D pillar in body colour, that way it could look a bit less range rover-ish, while being more modern than having all pillars coloured.

Do you have any pics of your mesh?

1500 polys is not that much, and while I know you can do nice things with that few polies, large polies tend to sometimes cause weird reflections.

In your case, while it’s hard to see with what is probably the cutest car body I have ever seen in game :laughing: , the reflections around the wheel arches seem a tad weird.

[quote=“TrackpadUser”]Do you have any pics of your mesh?

1500 polys is not that much, and while I know you can do nice things with that few polies, large polies tend to sometimes cause weird reflections.

In your case, while it’s hard to see with what is probably the cutest car body I have ever seen in game :laughing: , the reflections around the wheel arches seem a tad weird.[/quote]

The reflections are all skewed due to how small it is. I don’t see why it’s so small, so I’ll have to scale it up over 200% in 3ds Max to make it the proper size in-game. I’ll get that done and see how the reflections look, but you’re right that they’re rather off on the wheel arches. If they look bad at a normal size as well, I’ll double the polys there to smooth it out. You’re right that it’s pretty low, it’s definitely much lower than more “detailed” cars like the Continental, or curvier ones like the pickup. Here’s my mesh:

I think the much boxier defender had around that amount of polys when I made it the first time, and I doubled the poly count in the V2, fixing some of the reflection weirdness on the centerline, so if what is probably the boxiest car in the game can gain from getting more polies, pretty sure it’s going to be the same with your car.

In your case, I’d definitively say the polygons on the side of the car might be a tad large. A higher polygon density near smooth edges can really help with reflection weirdness. In your case, I’d try using MSmooth once, with the “separate by smoothing groups” option on. Just make sure to backup your file first before doing it.

Thanks, I’ll look into that once I finish tweaking this one, and will see what I can do for other models as well. Will I need to redo the UV mapping and skinning after doing that?

Yes, it will probably fudge up any already existing skinning.

Also, quick comment for when you ever decide to redo the Lumina APV, relating to my earlier comment.

On the commercial version, your lack of window outline causes what I like to call a huge featureless wall of nothingness. It is IMHO not very visually appealing. Most commercial vans have some sort of fake windows to prevent this, and those that don’t tend to have a fairly prominent belt-line.