TrackEdit 0.16 (Jan 06, 2021)

Okay, I went back and revamped my old java version of the viewer to be a full blown track editor. I would have used the C verison as the base, but SDL lacks built in font rendering and a GUI toolkit (though I could have used IUP, but I didn’t want to have to bother).

Anyway, just double click the jar or exe file (depending on your OS/Configuration), to run the program, click open, select the folder of the track you want to edit. Hopefully the rest should explain itself.

Requires Java 11

Download v0.16

Source: github.com/Chase-san/Automation-Track-Editor

4 Likes

I decided to grow this into a full blown track editor. However, here is the old C track viewer for those who want it.

AutomationTrackViewer_0.2.zip (397 KB)

Give that man a beer!
That thing is really good - tried it out and was fiddling around with my Hockenheim! Seems lightweight and fast.

This thing is super easy to use! Great job!!

How do I start Making my own track with this, or can you?

Yes, you can use this to make your own tracks. It is essentially the same method as described in How to build Custom Tracks with a graphical interface to show you your track line. This is a stand-alone version similar to the original browser version found here using the methods found here. As my tutorial was written for the original track editor (browser-based), it isn’t exactly the same as this stand-alone editor, but other than graphical layout, they do the same things, in pretty much the same way.

It’s an editor, it edit’s tracks. You need an existing track (if very small) to bring into the editor. I will add a “new” function later (which is somewhat more involved then you may think).

Added the source code to the original post, for those of you who want to hack on it. ZLIB licensing, so do more or less what you want. :slight_smile:

I have a few plans for the next update of this.

[ul]
] Create new tracks from the editor, rather then just edit tracks./:m]
] Fix split box display on curves./:m]
] Be able to alter the scale without altering the layout (it will automatically adjust the segments so it’s the same or close to the same). So you can slowly tweak the size of your track to be accurate./:m]
] Graphical display for both Slope and Camber./:m]
] Overall track elevation chart, plus displaying where the current segment is on the elevation chart./:m]
] Ability to select the segment by clicking on the image./:m][/ul]

I need more information about the curve error to be able to properly simulate it. I’ll probably work on this stuff tomorrow.

I will need someone to double check some of my math when it comes to the distances are correct. Since it is mostly all guess work at this point.

Anyway, I wrote that previous list on new years near the end of the night when I was…somewhat inebriated. However my somber self will try and fulfill my inebriated promises. Because that’s how I roll. :sunglasses:

[size=150]Updated to 0.10[/size]

Anyway, more has changed in the code then you likely care about, therefore.

[size=125]Succinct Change Log[/size]
[ul]
] Ability to rescale the track, not just scale it! This means you can alter the scale so the length changes, but the graphical track doesn’t!/:m]
] Added a track highlight function, now you always know what part of the track you are editing./:m]
] Graphical display of slope and camber right next to where you adjust them./:m]
] The title bar has a * to show if you have saved or not (will not warn you if you fail to save!)/:m]
] Changed the name of the program so that people know which track editor you’re talking about./:m]
] Index names are now on both sides of the track, so you can find the track section you are looking for easier./:m]
] Fixed a bug in the rendering of split times on curves./:m]
] Fixed a bug in the curve rendering./:m]
] Rewrote entire rendering subsystem so I can fix it easier once I get more information about how the game works./:m][/ul]

EDIT: BUG FIXED EDITION 0.10b
[size=125]Change Log[/size]
[ul]
] Fixed rescaling not changing split values./:m]
] Fixed rescaling not updating the segment panel values./:m]
] Fixed where floating point errors and trailing zeros were being saved in the lua./:m]
] Fixed where Track Segments were not being set to reasonable values on creation or type change./:m]
] Fixed a graphical bug with the track highlighting making it hard to guess the angle of turns./:m]
] Fixed the track segment counter./:m][/ul]

Dude, can I kiss your feet xD

Hello everyone. I have a new update here, better known as v0.11. It is something special this one. Here are the lists of new spiffy stuff for you.

[size=150]Change Log[/size]
[ul]
] Added elevation chart! It even has a highlight function./:m]
] You can now click on the track on the picture to select a segment./:m]
] Added a split button to the segments, this will split a segment into two identical sections of track (useful for tweaking your elevations)./:m]
] Moved the track segments to their own scroll pane, so you can keep an eye on the length and elevation stats./:m]
] Speaking of which, added elevation stats below length. The first is the difference between the start and end elevations, and the second is the total elevation change (min to max) in the track./:m]
] Fixed all the track pieces reporting as straight sections in the segment window (maybe that was just in my copy)./:m][/ul]

[size=150]What’s left?[/size]
[ul]
] The “new track” functionality, been putting this off for awhile out of laziness. Not hard, just tedious./:m]
] Able to click on the elevation chart to select segment./:m]
] More closely simulate the path the car takes in the game. If you have any information, please let me know!/:m][/ul]

This is fantastic! Thank you!

Looks good, but unfortunately, couldn’t get it to work on my Win 8 PC, and I have the latest version of Java…(it says Windows can’t find “javaw”, whatever that is) :neutral_face:

You can try double clicking the jar, that sometimes works on windows. If you want you can try the early prototype of the windows launcher I wrote for it.

Just put it in the same folder as the jar, and then double click it (it’s an exe) and it will do some tricky stuff to find your java install and run the jar with it.

See first post for the launcher, it is included in the main download now! ]

The tool is now also available on the Automationhub website!

automationhub.net/downloads/tools

[quote=“BitTwiddler”]You can try double clicking the jar, that sometimes works on windows. If you want you can try the early prototype of the windows launcher I wrote for it.

Just put it in the same folder as the jar, and then double click it (it’s an exe) and it will do some tricky stuff to find your java install and run the jar with it.

[attachment=0]launcher.zip[/attachment][/quote]

I tried all that, but sadly, it didn’t work. I even tried changing the compatibility settings and running as an admin(on the exe!), afterwards, and that didn’t work either.

That’s really weird. That program uses the registry to locate your copy of java.

However! Time for an update everyone. You fearless tool maker has a new update for you. It has a few interesting features.

[size=150]Change Log[/size]
[ul]
]A track layout selector. A simulation view. Using this you can get a preview of where the car will drive IN GAME. This feature is highly experimental, the display track path may not precisely match the in game track. But on the few tests I ran, it was very close./:m]
] Added a Track Double function. You can use it to add a flying lap./:m]
] Added a Round Distances function, this rounds all track segment distances to a tenth. This is useful after you have rescaled the track and you are plan to edit the track more, or if you are a numeric neat freak./:m]
] Fixed a bug with a newly added segment not being displayed in the track view until you adjust a value./:m]
] Replaced the trackview.bat with trackview.exe, which will try it’s best to launch the program./:m]
] Gave the program an icon./:m][/ul]

[quote=“BitTwiddler”]
[ul]]A track layout selector. A simulation view. Using this you can get a preview of where the car will drive IN GAME. This feature is highly experimental, the display track path may not precisely match the in game track. But on the few tests I ran, it was very close./:m]
] Added a Track Double function. You can use it to add a flying lap./:m][/ul][/quote]

So much awesome!

I need help. The track in the editor is exactly on the red line. But the car doesn’t follow it. I did used the simulation view too. If you need the file I will send it to you in a PM if you need it.