Trafikjournalen (Test: 1955 TORSHALLA POESY KOMBI)

REPRINT FROM #10 1975
REVIEW OF ARMOR CRICKET

MODERN TIMES

A traditional american battleship, here an Earl Ponderosa, dwarfs the Armor Cricket. But there is no question about which one that belongs to the future, and which one that belongs to the past.

It has not been good times for the american manufacturers lately. First, insurance premiums more or less killed the muscle car over a night. Then came the ban on leaded fuel, requiring modifications to the often ancient engine technology so the power of the huge 8 cylinder engines all of a sudden was overshadowed by european 4- or 6 cylinders with less than half of the volume. Safety standards made the cars gain weight, fuel economy suffered, and all of a sudden the fuel crisis came, leaving the manufacturers more or less bleeding, and at the same time paving the road for european and asian manufacturers.

It is more or less a fact that the days for the traditional american land yacht are numbered. One attempt to come closer to the philosophy of european manufacturers is the new Armor cricket. In fact, the design could as well belong to an italian supermini while the engineering is said to be heavily influed by the french. And, of course we are curious to see what they have accomplished.

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
Following the european formula with front wheel drive, small dimensions and 4 wheel independent suspension, the Cricket is of course close to an european car in the way it behaves too. Forget the wallowy suspension you are used to - the Cricket is actually rather stiff. Though modern components like gas filled shocks and progressive springs makes the compromise between ride quality and handling a bit better. Like most front wheel drive cars, it is predictable and secure but has a fair amount of understeering. A 0.8 G skidpad rating is fully acceptable numbers. A very low tyre profile is probably adding to the secure handling but at the same time it compromises comfort.

City driving is of course a dream with this little car. And contrary to many of its competitors it has power steering, making it easy to drive and park in crowded areas. Calling it “easy to drive” is absolutely justified.

Braking is generally good, some fading was found when loaded to the max but not otherwise and a 43.2 metre stopping distance from 100 is a fully acceptable number. There is no doubt that Armor has put some energy behind the engineering of this car.

VERDICT: ****

PERFORMANCE
Despite the relatively large volume, the engine puts out a modest 75 hp. It means that it is by no means a rocket, especially considering the automatic transmission eating up some of the power - but it is still adequate. At least 0-100 that is done in 14.6 seconds - but with a 10.4 time 80-120 maybe passing other cars will need some planning. It barely breaks the 20 second limit at the quartermile at 19.99 seconds - and a top speed of 178 km/h is of course more than adequate.

VERDICT: ***

COMFORT
It seems like americans can’t let go of the idea of a comfortable cruiser. That means that the Cricket is equipped with power steering and an automatic transmission. But at the same time - the car is small and primitive, and even if the advanced rear suspension enhances the comfort somewhat, the ride is maybe a little bit stiff and harsh.

Seating comfort is on the level you could expect from a car in this class, far from as bad as in some of the low budget american cars. The sound insulation is adequate and the engine well muffled. When it finally reaches third gear it is not too revvy either. Though, sometimes you will only reach second at highway speeds which may make the drone a bit more annoying.

VERDICT: **

ROOMINESS & PRACTICALITY
It is hard to perform wizardry even if the transverse engine saves some space. The Cricket has seat belts for five, but four is on the limit of being possible, and for longer trips, more than two is probably out of the question. The lack of rear doors hamper practicality a bit but the hatchback makes for easier loading. The loadspace is small, though, and as a family car the Cricket has its limitations.

VERDICT: *

Small - in many areas unfortunately.

EQUIPMENT
For a supermini, the level of equipment in the Cricket is not bad at all. It has a not too shabby cloth/vinyl interior, carpeting on the floor, cigar lighter, clock, lockable glovebox and other things that we have almost learned to take for granted today. It also has a radio, only with mono sound and no tape player, but at least with pushbutton selector. Also, power steering is included in the price, rare for a car in this class, as well as radial tyres of the fuel saving low rolling resistance type.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
75 hp out of a 2.2 litre engine would have been perfectly acceptable 15 years ago, but now time has passed. We would like to believe that an european engine would at least have 100 hp out of that volume, especially since Armor uses an overly complicated valvetrain design with 3 valves per cylinder. The explanation is of course that the engine is hampered by american emissions regulations. It is not overly economical either and overall it feels a bit bland. Not gutless in the small car, but kind of uninspiring. A disappointment since a SOHC 3 valve 2.2 litre four sounds really good on paper.

The automatic transmission consumes even more power, but at least it is a 3 speed and not an ancient 2 speed, thank god! It works well, but we think that european buyers would have preferred a manual in most cases when buying a car of this type. It adds a bit to the uninspiring flair the engine already gives.

QUALITY & RELIABILITY
American cars aren’t really renowned for their high level of build quality. The Cricket does not really do anything to convince us otherwise, but on the other hand, european cars in this class are rarely any handcrafted masterpieces either. On the other hand, this is a completely new concept for Armor, so we are not 100% convinced that they have sorted out all problems before it has been proved to us. A surprise, though, is the galvanized body structure, meaning that it has better than average protection against rust!

ECONOMY
$13500 for a really small car is not exactly cheap, for example, a much larger Ceder 419 can be had for just $300 AMU more. Also, if you are used to american land barges, then maybe 10.7 litres per 100 km is an acceptable figure but we think that it is a little bit high for a modern construction of this size. Servicing at $660 is acceptable but not really dirt cheap. So, an economy car that is not very economical, that is maybe the major drawback of the Cricket.

SAFETY
The Cricket is small. To fulfill the stringent american regulations there is lots of things done to improve its safety. There bodyshell is very well thought out for the class and has things like side impact beams in the doors, well engineered crumple zones and crash resistant bumpers. Then there is of course equipment like headrests, inertia reel seatbelts on all outboard positions, a safe placement of the gas tank and a seatbelt buzzer. A car as tiny as the Cricket will always lose in a head on collision with a large car, but it is probably as safe as a car in this class will get nowadays.

FINAL VERDICT: 24/45
First, it must be said that the Armor Cricket is an important step forward. It is probably the nearest thing to a modern, small european car that the americans have ever cranked out. And it shows that even the american manufacturers can adapt to the ever changing times if they just want to.

But for the european market, we are a little bit sceptical. It does not really have much that speaks in its favour when there are so many good competitors on the market. Also, the somewhat high purchase and ownership costs are almost ruling out a car in this class by themselves, since the buyer is almost always very economy minded.

Another question - is this good enough and coming soon enough to win back customers in the USA that have already gone for foreign cars? We are not really sure about that.

Thanks to @GassTiresandOil for the car, also credit to @patridam for the Earl Ponderosa.

10 Likes

REPRINT FROM #2 2001
FIRST LOOK: HIROCHI SUNBURST S

Do we encourage driving like this? No. But nobody will buy a Sunburst just for going to the church on sundays, so…

The Hirochi Sunburst S is nothing else than the civilian version of what Hirochi will be driving in WRC for 2001. It may look a bit like a boyracers dream or just plain tacky (depending on your taste) - but under the bodyshell, it is pure bussiness. The engine is new for 2001. A 16 valve all alloy unit, with a displacement of 2 litres from its four cylinders, of course with turbocharging and pumping out 228 hp in standard form. Sending that power to all four wheels (though with no form of LSD) it manages sub 7 second times from 0 to 100. It is able to stop even faster, in 36.6 metres, but with a bit of fading when driven hard. The handling is great as well, fairly neutral and managing 1 G on the skidpad.

But all of this is to be expected in this class. The question is only if Hirochi has their WRC winner in the Sunburst. Only the future will tell. Before we know the result of that, I guess that some knees will be shivering at Hirochi, being such a prestigous and important thing to win. And if the Sunburst does that, it will give the model an image boost, as well as the brand itself.

The dream many manufacturers have, but only a few of them will reach.

Thanks to @nicholasrams774 for the car"

8 Likes

Thanks for the review. I really never intended for the Cricket to be exported. I’m sure the manuals would sell far better overseas. It’s interesting to see what different values other countries put on their vehicles. I thought my car might have been too European to be considered an American car, but to others it’s obvious from the start lol.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was really trying to catch the spirit of what automotive journalists was writing back then - so that’s a little bit of explanation why I was maybe a bit overly harsh and critical too.

4 Likes

REPRINT FROM #26 2013
REVIEW OF HANSEUNG SATURN

ANONYMOUS BUT GOOD

Downsizing? Not at Hanseung. The Saturn has a large V6 and weighs almost 1.9 tonnes.

Maybe the glory days of the large luxury sedan are over. A rising popularity of SUVs, along with the tendency to downsize engines, are partly to blame there. But there is some of them left. The Saturn from korean Hanseung for example.

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
Front wheel drive have never been seen as an advantage in this class, it also features a relatively conventional strut suspension up front instead of the more advanced types found on some competitors. At least Hanseung have managed to keep torque steer and wheelspin at rather tolerable levels. The car is absolutely not a bad handler at 0.96 Gs, and as usual for front wheel drive cars, it is predictable understeer, secure but not very exciting. Should it still go very wrong, it has electronic stability control - would be a shame nowadays if that wasn’t included.

Driving this almost 5 metre long and 2 metre wide car in city traffic is of course far from optimal. At least the electric PAS setup works well, and offers more road feel than they did some years ago.

Brakes have short stopping distance with 37.3 metres from 100, and the fading is almost nonexistant.

PERFORMANCE
As with many other modern cars, the speed is limited at 250 km/h - more than enough, though. 0-100 is done in a not too shabby time of 7.7 seconds and the quartermile is done in 15.66 seconds. 80-120 takes 4.92 seconds. Far from the fastest car in its class, but still performance that should be more than adequate for most of us.

COMFORT
The engine whispers on low RPMs at highway speeds and is quite muffled by itself, also, there is pretty good insulation from other noises too. Seating comfort is absolutely good enough - not excellent, some other cars in the class are better. Long wheelbase and a suspension set up for comfort means that the ride quality is good. Though, a car in this class needs to be comfortable. The Hanseung is - but not the best. Some competitors are even better, but maybe not with such a far margin.

ROOMINESS AND PRACTICALITY

A sedan is maybe not the first thing you think of as “practical” and sure, as a such it has its limitations. But the luggage space is large at 620 litres, and the interior has impressive amounts of room. Here, you have all the space in the world to stretch out your legs. Even the width is large. If you find the Saturn cramped, you should maybe look at a tourist bus instead.

So, despite the usual drawbacks with a sedan, we give it a good score here.

EQUIPMENT
It is not exactly loaded with gizmos, but you get the most important things, like climate control, leather upholstery (that feels a bit cheap, but still), electrically adjustable seats with memory, a high end infotainment system with bluetooth connectivity, a limited slip differential, alloy wheels and much more. There is more loaded vehicles in this class but the Saturn still offers most that you will expect. The equipment you need is there while they have saved on some bells and whistles.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN

By todays standards, 260 hp out of a 3.5 litre V6 may sound a bit conservative. But it runs smooth, reasonably quiet and has a good low end grunt. Still, it likes to rev and shouldn’t the limiter cut off at 7000 RPM, it would probably still have some more to give.

Behind it is a 7 speed auto, of the conventional type, but of course with modern electronic management, and it seems to work well together with the engine.

By no means a fantastic drivetrain, but harmonic and well suited to the car.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY

Some cars in this class feels like rolling bank vaults. Not the Hanseung. Sure, it feels decently bolted together, but that’s about it. There is a more “hollow”, “plastic” feeling than some of its competitors have. That does not necessarily mean bad reliability- predicted reliability for the Hanseung is about average, though, and not much more. But extensive use of aluminium means that it keeps the rust away quite well.

ECONOMY
For what you get, the sticker price is not too bad ($47700). But sure, still lots of money and second hand value is questionable. 8.2 litres per 100 km is not bad for a huge V6 in a huge car, but when it comes to servicing it’s still kind of expensive at $1143.20 AMU. A fairly economical choice for its class, but that’s about it too.

Probably as safe as a nuclear shelter.

SAFETY
If there is one single modern day passive safety device you can think of - the Saturn has it. It even has active safety systems like AEB etc.

And inside the large amounts of metal you are well protected, and the fact that extensive amounts of AHS steel is used in the body structure of course makes it even better.

It gets a 5 star Euro-NCAP rating with flying colours, and we think that there would be hard to find a much safer car on the market today.

VERDICT: *****

FINAL VERDICT: 34/45

It is a bit hard to judge the Saturn. It is probably not best at anything in its class. Still, a very good allrounder with no major weak points. But anonymous design, front wheel drive, lack of that feeling of top notch build quality you can get in some other cars, lack of the latest comfort equipment, lack of anything that makes it stand out in this crowd…

We understand that the Saturn may not speak to the heart and soul of luxury sedan buyers, even if the brain says yes. That may be the reason for the somewhat slow sales figures that it has.

But the buyer that still opts for a Saturn will be rewarded in many ways, also with a car for a price that is sane for what it is.

Thanks to @BannedByAndroid for the car!

8 Likes

REPRINT FROM #26 2019
FIRST LOOK: WELLS I6

THE BULBASAUR OF CARS

We ask ourselves - where do Wells intend to find the buyers for the i6? Unfortunately, it seems to miss the mark in most segments.

The headline needs some explanation. Even if you haven’t played Bintendo’s success game Bokemon, you have probably heard of it. And when it first was introduced for the PlayGuy handheld console in the late 90s, one of the original Bokemons was called a Bulbasaur. And it was green, just like the Wells i6. Also the i6 is bulbous. And feels like a dinosaur.

Historically, Wells have been known for building cars that is robust but not always very exciting. Often primitive, and lacking in the handling and comfort department. But also more or less impossible to kill. A success in developing markets, not as much in western Europe.

With the i6, they are aiming more towards the top. The futuristic looks shows that they are at least trying to not look like every other car on the market. Some people may like the looks, other may hate it, and we can’t decide for you there. Let’s just say that the i6 won’t get lost on the parking lot.

Propelling the car forward is a turbocharged inline six that feels dead more or less over 3000 RPM. The power output gives a hint of that. 220 hp was what competitors managed to get out of N/A 3 litre engines 20 years ago. It also shows when it comes to performance. In this class, a top speed of 242 km/h and an 8.23 second time 0-100 is not competitive anymore, yet it has a horrible fuel thirst of 16.8 litres per 100 km and we really wonder what is happening to all the expensive drops. Also, it feels dated to only get a 5 gear automatic in this class nowadays.

However, it drives better than some Wells models have done in the past, a bit tail happy but still relatively easy to control, and there is both a limited slip diff and electronic stability control. Brakes have a good bite, it is fairly comfortable, has good safety rating and you get lots of buttons to play with for a cost of $50 000 AMU.

Still, we wonder, if someone is in the market for a luxurious 4 seater sports sedan, why would he opt for a horribly thirsty, dated and not very fast one?

With an updated driveline, the i6 could maybe be competitive. Maybe.

Depending on what it would cost, of course.

Thanks to @DuceTheTruth100 for the car!

5 Likes

Thanks for the review I really appreciate that!! I will redevelop the engine in the coming days with the new info I have about building them. I will try to revamp the engine while still keeping it at 50K.

OOC:
Well, I am by no means some kind of engineering expert so I am not trying to put your skills down, all I can say is that I clearly see that you are improving both when it comes to engineering and exterior design, so you certainly should be proud of yourself anyway. And maybe tuning for Automation vs. Beam as you mentioned earlier is one key here. As I have said, I can not run beam anymore, unfortunately, because of weak graphics card etc. which is a bit sad (but now it is like it is, so…if that is disturbing to anyone, I haven’t banned anyone from starting a fundraiser :wink: )

From the experiences I have had from Beam in the past, though, it seems like it does not always behave like the automation stats says, for example, it seems like FWD cars will often have crazy amounts of understeer there even if they should work well according to the Automation graphs. That’s a bit disturbing in one way (but on the other hand, it was said that it should be impossible to even drive automationcars at all until just some years ago, so one should not complain).

So, if anyone is upset that they don’t recognize my descriptions from how their car behaves in Beam, well, I can’t do any better now unfortunately.

4 Likes

REPRINT FROM #1 1979
REVIEW OF SCHNELL L4

NICE ATTEMPT, MEDIOCRE EXECUTION

The L4 is interesting as it is the first front wheel drive car from Schnell. But is it any good? Let’s find out!

Schnell have found its place in the automobile universe, as a bit of an oddball brand but with a steady consumer base. Now, Schnell is also one of the manufacturers that have went for the front wheel drive layout. The new L4 is their first front wheel drive car ever, which of course makes it an interesting candidate for a test.

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
As usual for a front wheel drive car, the handling is secure and predictable but also gives a fair amount of understeering. Torque steer and wheelspin are more or less eliminated, and at 0.85 G the skidpad rating is absolutely acceptable.

The size means that it is no city car, but it has standard power steering, which is good.

A 42.3 metre stopping distance from 100 is a good result, and we noticed some fading only with heavy cargo. They pull straight and has no tendency to lock up the rear wheels.

Maybe it does not have the sporty characteristics that was found in the now almost classic 1700 model, but it is a good drivers car nonetheless.

PERFORMANCE
A car this size, 88 hp and a 3 speed automatic - doesn’t sound impressive, right? Well, fact is that the L4 is lighter than one may think, which somewhat saves the situation. A 13 second time 0-100 is acceptable, 10.7 seconds 80-120 maybe a little bit on the slow side. 166 km/h is not a top speed to brag about today - but adequate on our speed limited roads. It manages to do the quartermile in 19.26 seconds.

COMFORT
Automatic transmission and power steering, sure. Other than that, the Schnell is not overly impressive. The ride is a bit on the harsh side, the seating comfort is nothing to write home about even if it’s adequate. Engine is well muffled but runs at quite high revs at highway speeds. In this class, there is competitors offering better comfort than the L4 by margins.

ROOMINESS & PRACTICALITY
Our two door test example of course has a drawback in its lack of rear doors. But when you finally have gotten yourself in place, you can sit well in the backseat as well as up front. Also, it has a very large luggage compartment and the load capacity is good for a passenger car. So, except for the two door body, we could not find any major drawbacks actually.

EQUIPMENT
The L4 is neither a bare bones affair or a luxury cruiser. The standard power steering is, as we said before, very welcome, and among other features there is a decent AM/FM stereo with tape player, carpeting on the floor, cloth upholstery, (manually) remotely controlled mirrors, tinted glass, a rear centre armrest, electric clock, and other things we have grown accustomed to lately. There is nothing important missing, but forget the gizmos.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
88 hp out of an 1.7 litre engine ain’t too shabby, but the unit in itself is not really exciting. A cast iron lump with a single overhead camshaft and a single 2 barrel carb, it does its job and not much more.

The 3 speed auto works well but eats some power and does not really add to an amusing driving experience.

All in all it’s hard to complain too much, but is the driveline worthy of the “Sport” moniker on our test example? Absolutely not.

QUALITY & RELIABILITY
The L4 body is far from well protected against rust. If you’re in the market for one, make sure to give it an undercoating and treatment as soon as you get it. Other than that, we could not find anything that felt remarkably cheap or flimsy, but on the other hand nothing that impressed us either. Our experiences says that predicted reliability will be mediocre. Buying one is maybe not a gamble but there is more reliable cars out there.

Nice and blue, but how fast will it turn brown instead? The truth is not really amusing here.

ECONOMY
At $12800 AMU the L4 is not expensive to buy. At $643.5 it is not expensive to service. But 18.8 litres per 100 km means that it is not cheap to fill up. For some reason the engine can run on fuel with such a low octane rating as 87. Totally pointless here and many people would probably like if Schnell should for example raise the compression a bit to improve fuel economy. Unfortunately the fuel thirst will probably affect seond hand values too. Not acceptable.

VERDICT: *

SAFETY
The L4 is a modern design that passes all american and european tests with flying colours. You are relatively safe, surrounded by large crumple zones inside a strengthened passenger cell. Though we are not sure about the strength from the sides, it is lacking door beams as well as some other of the equipment you find in the very best cars, like rear headrests. Still, it beats many of the other cars on the market that probably barely passes legislations. The low weight might be a disadvantage in a crash aagainst a larger car, though.

FINAL VERDICT: 23/45
The Schnell L4 is not a bad car, and for the money it costs, it gives great value. But we would maybe have expected even a bit more. It really does not excel at anything and all in all it feels a bit bland. The weird engine tune hampering fuel economy only confuses us too, and is a major drawback.

To put it like this, we don’t expect this to be the sales success that will move Schnell to the top of the sales charts. The competition is too strong for that and nothing puts the L4 at an advantage.

Thanks to @interior for the car!

4 Likes

REPRINT FROM #11 2020
FIRST LOOK: AT 722R

NOT A MAGIC NUMBER

The AT 722R surely has potential to be nailed to some teenager’s bedroom wall. Unfortunately, it does not really shine in some of the more important areas.

Is the AT 722R a 9600 bps modem from the 90s, or is it a space ship? Well, it’s closer to the later. Behind the rather anonymous letters and numbers there is a wicked 685 hp sports car, with bad ass looks and lots of interesting technology.

The powerplant is a rather small V10, only 3.3 litres. Of course it is turbocharged, and the turbo gives a horse kick that nobody thought could have survived the 80s. Everything this engine has to offer comes in the range between 5 and 6000 RPM, it seems like, before that it is rather dead. It’s mated to a 6 speed DCT, and an electric diff as well as ESP and AWD is there to make sure that the power gets down to the ground.

And sure, it is fast. 0-100 in 2.9 seconds, 10.39 seconds on the quartermile, 353 km/h top speed. Most of all it is very expensive at $137 000 AMU. And with that kind of performance, for that price, we really start to wonder how AT have been thinking about some things.

The power steering, for example, is of the electric, non-variable type, hardly anything sporty about that. What’s even worse is the brakes. Sure, they have good bite. Once. But since they seem to be more suited for a sporty family sedan from the 90s than for a supercar (290 mm rotors with 2 piston calipers up front, 300 mm with 1 piston calipers in the rear), they fade a lot. On a car capable to reach over 350 km/h, that’s alarming.

In this class there simply is no room for mistakes as big as the ones we find on the AT, so unfortunately, we think that not only the name itself will stay anonymous, there is a big risk that the car will do so too if they don’t sort out some of the flaws.

Thanks to @T0M for the car!

5 Likes

thanks for the review, I’ll keep improving the car further more. but, I have a few questions, what is AMU? if it’s in USD, my car wouldn’t be too expensive , it got the same acceleration as the laferrari, and a similar top speed. I would say it not that expensive in that class

Sure, I can give you that the car is maybe not expensive for what it is (but no car in this class is cheap), and that it is fast. However, in this class, for this money, you could really have given it bigger brakes and a variable ratio steering IMO. It’s not really worth cheapening out on such things.

And it is absolutely a looker, kudos to you for the design!

AMU is basically the Automation Universe equivalent of the US Dollar.

so it’s the same as USD in value?

Yeah

i see, thanks

From what I remember, it is not really comparable to USD?
I have some memories of hearing that it’s loosely based on 2013 AUD, though still a currency on its own that’s only good for comparing cars inside the game, but I can be very wrong there too.

1 Like

I’ve been treating AUM as 2012 USD for benchmarking my cars against irl models, but of course IRL MSRP have Mark up.

Anyway, Knug are you still open for submissions?

I am.

REPRINT FROM #24 2000
REVIEW OF HIROCHI EXATIMA

BETTER LUCK THIS TIME?

The old Exatima impressed us in 1993, but when doing an in depth look, it was far from flawless. Now, after 8 years, we take a look at its successor.

The previous generation Hirochi Exatima was kind of a diamond in the rough. When it came out in 1993, it was a very pleasant car to drive to a very competitive price. The tradeoffs were, among others, disappointing crash test results and a build quality on the early examples that left much to be desired. When all those bugs finally were sorted out, the Exatima was actually a very good car - to a price much higher than it originally was. The buyers were a bit reluctant. Hirochi probably learned a lesson or two, at least we hope so, but to find out we have taken a closer look on the new Exatima, a car you probably haven’t missed. By now we have probably all seen the campaign where Hirochi is celebrating its 75th birthday by giving away 75 new Exatimas. But is it a car worth buying if you’re not lucky enough to get one for free?

DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS
A bit disappointing is that Hirochi now have abandoned their earlier double wishbone setup up front, and gone for McPherson struts. That generally means a bit more bland driving dynamics. A 0.89 G skidpad rating is by no means bad - but the previous generation felt more sharp here, and more well balanced. Also, the brakes are weaker than in the previous generation. 40.6 metres to a complete stop from 100 is still a good result, but the fading problems from the previous generations are still there. ABS is of course standard equipment.

Relatively compact dimensions and an easy to handle electric power steering means that the Exatima feels well suited to city driving. It is not as easy to drive as the most tiny cars on the market, of course, but still by all means pleasant in conditions like that.

PERFORMANCE
107 hp and a 4 speed automatic may not sound impressive, and the car weighs in at almost 1300 kg, but fact is that its performance is adequate. 0-100 takes 12.3 seconds, top speed is 208 km/h, 80-120 takes 8.76 seconds and the quartermile is done in 18.91 seconds. Hardly a rocket, but you will keep pace with traffic without any major troubles.

COMFORT
Comfort is fair. Suspension has a rather soft tuning, the engine is well muffled and sound insulation is adequate, but it is a bit rev happy at highway speeds. Seating comfort is nothing remarkable, they are doing their job, but power steering and automatic transmission of course contributes to a quite relaxed driving experience.

Small, stubby boot means that the space for luggage ain’t overly large. Of course, the upcoming station wagon version may solve that.

ROOMINESS & PRACTICALITY
While the luggage space is a bit small at 380 litres, but like the previous Exatima, the passenger compartment is roomy. Maybe the sedan body hampers some flexibility, but we still think that the Exatima is a decent performer here.

EQUIPMENT
There is nothing special about the standard equipment here. It has most of the things you will take for granted today, but nothing more than that. The sound system has a quite tinny sound but at least features a CD player. ABS and power steering could more or less be considered standard in this class today, and is of course included here, too.

ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
The 1.5 litre inline 4 is maybe not impressive when it comes to pure numbers. However, it features all the latest technology like double overhead camshafts, VVT and VVL. It runs smooth, quiet and is very flexible with an usable powerband. A shame, though, that it could not be mated to anything else than an old fashioned 4 speed automatic, with no electronic management whatsoever. Also, the gearing makes it annoyingly revvy at highway speeds.

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY
Gone is the questionable build quality of the past - the current Exatima appears to be about as well built as most of its competitors. It should not cause any major problems. What is amazing, though, is how well protected it is against rust. Probably among the best cars on the market regardless of class.

ECONOMY
Even if the Exatima by no means is the price fighter it was once upon a time, $21500 is a sane purchase price. $640.95 for servicing is not too bloody and 7.7 litres per 100 km is an acceptable fuel economy figure. Ownership of an Exatima is probably not going to break the bank.

SAFETY
Hirochi probably didn’t want to flop in crash testing this time too. This time, they seem to be almost sure about a 4 star Euro-NCAP rating. We almost dare to say that things like 4 airbags, headrests and 3 point belts all around, well engineered crumple zones etc. makes this one of the safest vehicles in its class.

FINAL VERDICT: 29/45
The previous generation Exatima was generally a good car when it was released in 1993, but not without some major flaws. The flaws got sorted out as the years passed by, but at the same time competitors raised the bar and Hirochi couldn’t keep the pricing down.

Now 8 years later, competition have catched up, the new Exatima is not much of an improvement and it has a risk of being just one compact sedan among others. Absolutely not a bad car, just a bit anonymous, and if it will live for 8 years like the previous Exatima, we wonder how fresh it will feel by then?

Still, the Exatima is a good allrounder, and a bit cheaper than the outgoing model, so - why not?

Thanks to @nicholasrams774 for the car!

4 Likes