Transmission Cost Balances

I’m noticing some weird figures for the different types of transmissions on a modern car. Currently, these are the rankings of the transmission types on a 2016 car with a 150hp generic V6 (so no absurd reinforcements for torque and HP) and six gears.

Production Cost
1/2. Manual (9.80)
1/2. Sequential (9.80)
3. Automatic (13.40)
4/5. Dual Clutch (14.60)
4/5. Adv Automatic (14.60)

Material Cost
1,. Manual (417)
2. Sequential (471)
3. Dual Clutch (524)
4/5. Automatic (542)
4/5. Adv Automatic (542)

Engineering Time
1,. Manual (5.23)
2. Sequential (6.98)
3. Automatic (9.30)
4. Dual Clutch (10.17)
5. Adv Automatic (10.46)

The main outlier in these figures I believe is the advanced automatic. It costs more in every category than a sequential and a dual clutch, when at heart its a sequential with a smarter computer. I believe its costs should be lowered to sit a bit above sequential in everything but engineering time (which should mirror the traction aids in additional costs & effort). In addition, I think sequential should have its production units raised to account for the hydraulics. I have a gut feeling the Dual Clutch should also be brought over the mechanical auto in terms of material and weight, but I have no hard data for or against so I can’t say

Ultimately I believe the advanced auto should be superior to the mechanical auto, unless you have the very extensive engineering time that both RL companies and the player are assumed to have

2 Likes

Definitely something to look into once we have the context of the Lite Campaign V3. I assure you though that every not-sports car would use an advanced automatic unless that is made pretty expensive (time wise, especially). :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Isn’t an Advanced Automatic just a more modern Automatic?
And a Sequencial isn’t one with hydraulic actuation, only the more hi-tech ones use Hydro.
Most real world Seq boxes are standard “yank on a stick” boxes.

1 Like

And the odd one that is a “dumb” flappy-paddle (IE, it won’t change gears on its own, like an automatic would).