Transmission designer

First, let me introduce myself. I am a professional mechanic specializing in drive lines who apparently can’t get enough car stuff. I realize that transmissions are a complicated topic. I understand most people are perfectly fine with the two sliders provided, and don’t know or care what a final drive is. Here are some suggestions for the overly technical minded people who would enjoy this feature. I think it would be wise to maintain a radio button for “simple mode.”

I would like to describe, hopefully in brief, a transmission designer.

Case material (like block/head):
This will apply to both automatics (auto) and manual transmissions (man). You would have four options:
Cast steel - cheapest and lowest manufacturing cost. Strong but heavy.
Milled steel - more expensive to make, but faster to mass produce. A bit lighter, and stronger.
Cast aluminum - relatively cheap to make, light and strong enough for most applications.
Milled aluminum - quiet expensive, but very light and strong.

Cast steel could handle high Torque (TQ), but low RPM. Milled steel can do the same TQ, but higher input speeds. Aluminum would handle less TQ but higher RPM and cools better. Milled aluminum is back to near steel TQ numbers, but still much lighter.

Just some for instance numbers, the cast steel Eaton ES-(series) can hold over 1000 Ft/Lbs, the milled aluminum GM/Ford 6R140 can handle around 800 Ft/Lbs. Do remember these are commercial transmissions selected for being the extremes.

Gear material (like piston/con rod):
Cast steel - cheap but rough. Low(ish) torque, low speed only (4000?).
Machined steel - costs more, but way stronger and higher speeds.
Lightweight steel - TQ between cast and machined, much higher RPM.
Treated steel - Very expensive, very strong.

The higher torque a transmission is built for, the higher percentage of engine power it consumes due to its own weight. Those two selection would be mandatory so to speak, when you went to advanced mode you get the following options:

For all transmissions:
Integral or detachable bell housing. Integrated bell housing means the trans is stronger, but is you assign it to an inline engine it cannot be fitter to a boxer, or either V style, and you must make a new variant. Detachable you can bolt it to whatever by changing the bell housing at a comparably low cost.

For manuals only:
Counter shaft number:
Single - basic compact 2-6 speed transmission. (Like a Aisin-Warner AX15)
Dual - Nearly double the input torque, much larger, heavier and more expensive. 4-10 speeds (Like a Semi/Lorry). The old GM SM420/465 pickup manuals also ran an over-under counter shaft (really tall).

Synchronizes - Increase costs, but hugely improve driveability. Available from the 50’s on.

For automatics only:
Conventional planetary - basic working part of an automatic.
Ravigneaux set - More compact (lighter), but slightly weaker. Available from the 50’s on.

Stall speed - lower is more efficient, higher is more drive-able. Too low, and the engine may lug/stall, to high and you wont move.

Bands or clutches - Bands are cheaper to make, but consume much more engine power to work. Also increases maintenance costs. Clutches cost more to produce, but improve efficiency and reduce maintenance. Clutches available from 90’s up.

PCM/TCM controls. An automatic with a transmission control module can be connected to any engine without additional development costs. The powertrain control module is more fuel efficient and driveable, but needs engineering time to match that transmission to that engine.

Advanced mode also allows manual entry of gear ratios, and naming of gears. For example the SM465 was a four speed, but only three were for on road. The pattern was L-1-2-D (Low-first-second-direct), but the T-56 pattern is 1-2-3-4-5-6 (first-second-third-direct-overdrive1-overdrive2).

I have not touched on DCT, or CVTs. In short a DCT is a dual countershaft manual that must use an integral bellhousing, and TCM. Much better efficiency than a conventional automatic, but much higher maintenance costs. I do not have a working knowledge of CVTs.

I have attempted to make the transmission designer similar on form and function to the engine builder. Transmission specs would include things like:
Max input torque
Max input speed
Weight
Efficiency (the percent of engine horsepower consumed during operation)
Size (being similar in metric to engine bay fullness)

Of note, trans-axle AWD systems would require a different variant than FWD due to casting requirements of the case half (I’m a mechanic, trust me on this). In addition trans-axles cannot use detachable bell housings. Longitudinal builds require a minimum wheel base (more gears or heavier case means longer transmission). Also the addition of a transfer case/transfer box needs even more wheel base. For example, the AX15 only can handle 300TQ, but is under 3 feet long and weighs about 100 Lbs, the 6R140 is closer to 5 feet long, and weighs over 350 Lbs.

Hopefully this has been thorough, but not too long winded. I look forward to additional thought, and suggestions. Happy crafting.

11 Likes

Unfortunately the devs are very unlikely to make any major changes to game mechanics anytime soon, but if there is ever an Automation 2 I hope to see something like that.

1 Like

As cool as that sounds, its probably too complex and doesnt really add much to the game other than more work.

Maybe Automation will one day inspire more “hardcore” games of the same ilk then? I’ve wanted a good car design game forever and now I want another one.

2 Likes

There used to be a transmission designer in a test version of the game running on the old kee engine, but it ended up being cut since it ultimately added too much effort into something that didn’t return much to the overall car. That all got simplified into the transmission tab that currently exists in the game.

Good stuff @mcp928, it is as @thecarlover points out though: not only is the car and engine designer considered feature complete (apart from more forced induction options), but we also had a gearbox / transmission designer in a very old version of Automation… and removed it because it wasn’t fun. We most likely would be able to come up with something more playable and enjoyable today, but that would take a lot of effort and further take away from developer- and player-time spent on the name-giving tycoon part of the game. :slight_smile:
If there ever is something like “Automation 2” we’d revisit the possibility of a transmission designer.
Cheers

5 Likes

I dont think an-all out transmission designer would be a bad feature at all, but I think what a lot of people on the forum really want is tuning individual gears

3 Likes

@Killrob, You have an excellent point, that is why I suggested the “simple mode.” You would select materials just to deepen the simulation (price/feature) since they would affect the manufacturing process without getting too technical. The advanced mode just lets us tinkerers tinker. I base this on the inclusion “presets” menu in forced induction. Not perfect, but good enough. Afterwards you can tweak to your hearts content.

Mostly I just started this thread since the engine designer is extremely robust, and the trans designer is… not. It just bothers me that with the engine being so detailed, then having a 7.35 rear end with a 5:1 first, and 0.75:1 overdrive. I’m just too pedantic I guess. It would seem more balanced to me.

On a foot note, maybe open a market where companies (players) can buy/sell/trade major components?

2 Likes

Having a simple mode and a pro mode is significantly worse than just having just the pro mode. “Mode Options” are terrible for development, and a common argument from players not thinking about the consequences for development :slight_smile: it is all the new features plus all the old features, and making them work together flawlessly. I’d blame no one for suggesting it, but it is a terrible suggestion no matter the topic really hehe.

Edit: you mention the presets, they are quite different in how they work, just setting parameters of the “pro options”. If that is what you mean then yes, that would be required, but that also adds dev time. :slight_smile:

The only components that you will be able to buy and sell are engines, as they are a fully fleshed out “product”.
Cheers!

At least we can do that via the Beam files when exporting, though it doesn’t seem to change the final gear. That’s the only thing you need to pick in Automation and that you cannot change.

2 Likes

You are correct in your edit of my meaning. I understand the dev time argument but I maintain the transmission section is lacking in comparison to the depth and excellence of the rest of the game. Using a set of defaults (basically the current system) for basic mode and allowing the option of tweaking would seem more approachable from a programming standpoint. I know I introduced myself as a mechanic, but my degree is in game design (it didn’t go well), so I understand both sides of this thing. That, and frankly the suspension tuning section exists, so if that can be done gearboxes seem highly plausible.

I am by no means trying to force a point, or say I know better than the devs. After all they are successful game designers. I just understand the importance of transmission design in an automobile.

Where is that option at? I would like to be able to edit gears at least. Thanks.

Not an option, just fiddling around with the camso_engine.jbeam file with notepad plus (it’s within the .rar that forms the exported car. You just copy in out of the .rar, change whatever you want, and then drag it back in.)

Relevant lines are:

"gearbox": {
        //https://wiki.beamng.com/ManualGearbox
        //"gearDamageThreshold":3000, //Multiplier for tolerance to smashing gears (no clutch + mismatched rpm)
		"gearRatios":[-2.70, 0, 2.50, 1.55, 1.25, 0.95, 0.75],
		"friction": 0, //Constant friction torque on input shaft
        "gearboxNode:":["engine0"], //node used to play gear damage sound

First one is the final gear ratio, no idea what the 0 is, and then are the individual gears. This is an example of a 1952 sports car I exported. Yes, that’s right. 5 gears.

Like mentioned, changing the value of the final gear doesn’t change anything for me. Changing/adding/removing the others does.

3 Likes

@Private_Miros
Awesome, thanks. You have solved one of my major issues with the game, wacky gear ratios. I can always trick the game into giving me a good final drive pre-export, then tune to something realistic in the console later.

1 Like

I’ve known about this method for a while, I would just prefer editing this in-game rather than screwing around with car files :slight_smile:

Edit: 0 is probably a placeholder for neutral

3 Likes

Then the first one will be reverse, and then there is either no final gear or it’s somewhere else.

1 Like

Yes. 0 is for N

I just got a terrible idea from this: make a regera-type thing with a super long 1st and reverse gear

I made a handy sheet for converting irl end gearing into the Automation “always ends with 0.75” gearing.

Lemme see if I can find it again…

RedsAutomationWorkbook.zip (8.6 KB)

There, found it.

also included is some power conversion figures for the 60’s american muscle rated at Gross HP to the correct Net HP or automation HP (at least an estimate for it)

4 Likes
["shaft",            "rearDriveshaft",      "gearbox", 1 ],
	["differential", "rearDiff", "rearDriveshaft", 1, {"diffType":"lsd", "gearRatio":3.31, "diffTorqueSplit":0.50}],
    //https://wiki.beamng.com/Differential
    //needed values to tune diff behavior
    //locked specific - nothing needed, auto calc now

Final drive ratio can be found in the differential section , under “gearRatio”. What you were adjusting why you didn’t notice any changes was the reverse gear ratio.

4 Likes