TV & Movie Car Challenge Round 11 (TMCC11): For the Spirited Driver in All of Us [Finished]

1988 Hinode Tempest
Horsepower, horsepower, horsepower. Is that all that these “sports” sedans have to offer? Not always.
Introducing the 1988 Hinode Tempest GT, a real sports sedan. Its 215hp engine may not sound much to the average bloated, “powerful” sports sedan, but one should remember that that power is coming from a 2.0l turbocharged straight-six, and that the Tempest GT weighs only 1153kg (with 5-speed manual transmission, 4-speed automatic available)

Sure it may be light. But that’s because the Tempest GT has basically no amenities, right? Not really.
While it is true that the Tempest LX (Luxury model) has a better stereo system, the Tempest GT retains the premium seats and trim that traditional Tempest buyers know and love to ensure that you, the driver, can drive in comfort, along with three other passengers. The standard Tempest stereo system is the standard for premium stereo systems, anyway.

Pictures: interior of the Tempest GT (yes it is a mirrored RHD car interior)

So how does it handle? Unsurprisingly, very well. Definitely better than any sports yacht out in the market.
The Tempest GT is equipped with the latest of the latest from the land of the rising sun. The GT, as with all Tempests, features independent double wishbones with gas shocks on every axle. In addition, the Tempest also features mechanical LSD and ABS, both of which will significantly improve the driving experience of the Tempest. The GT also comes with 15 inch alloys and Kamurocho Sport 205s for better grip, taking the car from 0-60mph in just 5.8 seconds (5-speed manual model).

As time goes on and manufacturers continue to create bulky, psuedo-sports cars, the true meaning of the word “sports car” will inevitably start to wane away. The Hinode Tempest GT is a testament to a real sports, and it is going to be the beacon of hope for true sports sedans. It’s also gonna stand toe-to-toe with an M5.

The Hinode Tempest GT. Yours for $33700.

Alternative Advert

More pics

4 Likes
It's 1988, and the Kurskian Blizzard will sweep through the nation.

Your eyes do not deceive you. This, is a rear-engine, rear wheel drive, flat 6, sports car. And unlike the competition, Kurskian designed, built, and drove the Blizzard. It is refined, as one would take sweat and blood to make their passion a reality. Kurskian make cars for more than the pavement; we make cars that speed on all roads, come gravel, ice, dirt or asphalt.

And in the two years since the release of the Blizzard, the Kurskian Motorgoup have continued to hone this sports car for the consumer. Now, in 1988, there will be speed, there will be comfort, and the Blizzard will not simply roll over and succumb to the whims of journalists. No man should be unable to drive a car, through rain, shine, and snow, to the office and complain. Take the reigns, and control the Blizzard.

The Kurskian Blizzard Sport. Starting at $29,200, with 209hp and a top speed of 157 mph. Come test drive today!

The Kurskian Motorgroup

3 Likes

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/election?iso=20201101T235959&p0=137&msg=TMCC11+Revised+Deadline&font=sanserif

Less than 3 hours left…

1988 Seikatsu Prince 3.0GT Turbo-F

More Information

New for the 1988 model year, Seikatsu's "PRINCE" midsize sedan debuts a brand new profile that's low-slung, sleeker, wider, and smoother than all generations before it, reflecting its almost bipolar nature that can seamlessly blend sport and luxury into a stable, refined package.

The same twin-cam turbocharged inline 6 found in the GR sports car and Regalia luxury sedan can be equipped in the Prince. With multi port fuel injection and a ball-bearing system, response time and power is massively increased. 280hp to all four wheels rests right under your feet, harnessed through either a four-speed automatic with overdrive or a five-speed manual transmission. The sprint to 100kmh is under six seconds, and with a top speed of 250kmh it'll keep up with even dedicated sports cars. Adaptive magnetic suspension can change handling characteristics on the fly. For a perfect combination of premium and performance, the Prince is the only choice.

The Prince is lavishly equipped with luxury amenities as it is with technological marvels. Oscillating AC vents evenly distribute cooled or heated air around the cabin. A voice-activated system responds to your commands and can send or receive calls, manipulate sound system controls, and lock or unlock the doors, to name a few. Power windows, seats, and sunroof come standard for your convenience.

More Pictures

A Look Inside

9 Likes

SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED
No new entries will be accepted from this point on
However existing entries will be given the opportunity to correct any potential rule violations.

EDIT: Because I was an idiot and did not put my deadline on a Friday, I will do the rules auditing on Friday evening.
Actual judging will be delayed until after 11/20/2020

4 Likes

I see that quite a few of you put TMC or TVMCC instead of TMCC
I will let that slide

2 Likes

I’ll be sticking to stable for this

2 Likes

As promised here is your paper made for tOSU COMPSTD 2341

paper thoughts finally get trolled COMPSTD 2341 technology biography.zip (2.6 MB)

It’s in a bunch of images cause discourse automation staff logic

5 Likes

Wait,
what is this?

1 Like

lol were we supposed to write something for this challenge? I’m not sure that has anything to do with this…

1 Like

That file is an essay Mazda had to write for school about how consumers perceive automobiles, and he’s going to judge our entries based off what he discussed in it. IIRC he was even going to mention some of our entries in it. So it’s tangentially related.

3 Likes

I tried to do that, and failed terribly, as it wouldn’t meet the regulations. But the concepts I used were applied to the paper.

Apologies for the long wait. Myself being busy with work and the wifi I’m using has gone to shite and Mazda dealing with school, but @66mazda and myself have agreed to knock out some competitors starting with those that will be binned for not meeting the criteria set. We have 25 competitors for this round and mazda laid out what he feels should be binned, that being plain steel mono chassis. Which we found only five of those. We will give our honest opinion on them and give a scoring rate based on design and performance. We appreciate the patience.

3 Likes

I’ll say it a kfghjillion times over: Take your time! We’ll still be here when this is all over!

3 Likes

TMCC11 Part 1

Tier 3 bins

velocitytitle

Vincent Lin pulls right next to the recently updated Kaizen SCE19 in the new 1988 Sendo GT

Well hello there, Vincent Lin reporting, and welcome to Velocity. It’s great to have you back!

In America, there was a time when the phrase “Japanese luxury car” sounded outright impossible. Then along came the Kaizen S Series. Offered in sedan, wagon, coupe, and convertible forms, its immense success showed that Japanese functionality, engineering, quality, and reliability could be distilled into a car that could impress upmarket buyers, a market segment that was simply misunderstood by Japanese manufacturers. With the introduction of Honda’s Acura Legend and the latest update of the 8th generation Kaizen S Series comes a new wave of luxury cars from renowned and rumored brands alike, such as Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Seikatsu, and Suisei, that are all gunning for the success both Honda and Kaizen have had.

If you’re a driver who desires even more from your car, you can now add Sendo to your list. A collaboration between Kaizen, Seikatsu, Suisei, and Yuro, this is a car that both the domestic and European automakers will have to watch out for.

[Play the review of the 1988 Sendo GT]

Now, the recalls.

@Fenix4 XE 4.1T (Tier 3, 4)

Chambord Auto is recalling their XE 4.1T performance sedans. The company says that all vehicles manufactured in 1988 have a driver’s airbag that may be improperly mounted in the steering wheel. The airbag module may loosen from its position as a result, increasing the risk of injury in a crash. Chambord will notify all owners of affected vehicles, and inspect and tighten the airbag mounting bolts free of charge.

@Kursk Kurskian Blizzard Sport (TIE Tier 3, 3)

The Kurskian Motorgroup has recalled all 1988 model year Kurskian Blizzard Sport sedans after the automaker discovered a manufacturing error involving tire sizes. Certain 175 series tires from the optional Performance Package might have been wrongly installed in the standard Sport model, which were supposed to come with 170 series Michelin TRX tires. As the cars were not designed for the wider front tires and their increased grip, this leads to an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, especially in emergency maneuvers. Kurskian has notified owners of affected vehicles and will replace the front tires and rims, along with changing the front and rear wheel hubs to prevent mixups between the different rim and tire sizes.

@Mikonp7 Ecamobile Ace GT (TIE Tier 3, 3)

By now, owners of the 1986-1988 model year Ecamobile Ace GTs should have received a recall notice from Ecamobile. The automaker and their importer, Max Hoffman Incorporated, have been fined a combined total of $120 million by the NHTSA due to Ecamobile’s delay in recalling their 5L V12s, which have a piston manufacturing defect that could cause metal shavings to block oil flow to the connecting rod bearings, causing loss of lubrication and increasing the risk of engines stalling or catching fire (as engine oil and fuel spills onto hot exhaust parts). The resulting loss of power increases the risk of an accident through loss of vehicle control. Ecamobile will replace the engine with a similar engine of updated design that does not have the manufacturing issues free of charge.

@GassTiresandOil Armor Valencia H.O. (Tier 3, 2)

The Armor Company is recalling their 1988 model year Valencia HO sport sedans for brake lines which could have been damaged during manufacturing. Over time, the brake lines may leak brake fluid, affecting braking performance, including complete failure, loss of directional stability, and loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash. Armor will notify owners of affected vehicles and will replace the brake lines free of charge.

@alen.alic1983 Alaen Tempa gt5 (Tier 3, 1)

Alaen Motors has issued a technical service bulletin regarding 1988 model year Tempa gt5 sport sedans. It was discovered that on some cars manufactured in 1988 that there were missing bolts that were supposed to keep the front and rear bumper covers attached. During normal driving, the movements of the car may cause the front and rear bumper covers to fall off the car, which could also damage other bumper cover bolts. Alaen will inspect all affected cars during their next scheduled service for any missing bumper cover bolts, and install them if necessary

Now on to Vince’s Garage with Vince Whiteley

[Rest of episode plays]

None of these 5 cars will be considered.

Personal notes
  • The Alaen Tempa gt5 was one of the best cars submitted to the whole competition. It was one of the quickest, with good midrange acceleration to boot and a well-tuned transmission. However, handling was middling, comfort was one of the worst here, the rear suspension was too skittish, the brakes faded too fast, and the engine redline was too low. Although I absolutely loved the tidy, Germanic styling. If only it didn’t come with negative body quality…

• The power of the Armor Valencia HO was a bit underwhelming for what it was and had a redline that was judged to be too low. However, it was very linear and had good midrange torque, the transmission was well tuned. In addition, it was one of the quickest cars here. This car also had one of the best braking performance, although with way too much fade. The numb steering and very nervous suspension did it no favors. An aggressive and menacing fascia that fits right in Talladega makes this car a styling high point. Maybe investing in some better brake(s) (quality) would help.

• I loved Ecamobile’s unique approach of putting a V12 into a smaller car. It had a very linear delivery with yet another premature redline. This was also the only car with an open diff, which hampered performance heavily. It was very drivable for what it was, despite the skittish suspension. The handling was surprisingly good, and the comfort was one of the best. Front styling was nice, but the rear styling was a mess, and everything looked a bit outdated. Seriously Mikon, did you think -10 in internals and -2 in exhaust would get you anywhere?

• The XE 4.1T had the quickest acceleration of this competition, at 4.8 seconds. It has good all-around performance, but was the most compromised, with negative safety, aero, driver aid, and brake quality, and poor comfort. Styling was very bland too.

• The Kurskian Blizzard, with 210 hp, was the second least powerful car here, so it’s one of the slowest here. Despite the RR setup, it is one of the most drivable here, and reasonably comfortable. Handling and brakes were pretty bad though. The styling is much improved from Kursk’s past cars but still didn’t stand out that much. While I did allow tires ending in 0s (Michelin TRX), I’m pretty sure you know that you shouldn’t mix and match tires ending on 0s and tires ending in 5s together.

References

The 1988 Sendo GT is a collaboration between me, @Tzuyu_main, @Falling_Comet, and @variationofvariables.

Cones were made by @Executive, although I did modify them for the braking and slalom/emergency maneuver tests.

16 Likes

Damn… I understand though. It was hard to balance those brakes when nearly ALL of the weight is on the front suspension and almost none is on the rear.

2 Likes

I’m pretty confident that you were the only car to have drum brakes at all.

[Even though its been lengthy, life mishaps and laziness, I am going to start writing my session of the Tier 2 Eliminations based on design. But here goes. Beware, I don’t know how to CSS much so expect cringe. I will probably do a 2 part because we have 12 cars here.]
[Mood Music]

Vince Whiteley pulls in to a beach parking lot in the @alen.alic1983 Alaen Tempa GT5 where a row of vehicles reside, turns and parks by the row.

Greetings and Welcome back to this installment of Vince and Vince from Velocity. I’m Vince Whiteley and we are are here take a look at this year’s affordable premium sedan market to take on the BMW M5 that is taking the motorsports world by storm. While Vince eliminated some of the cars do to manufacturer recalls, the Alean Tempa GT5 that I’m driving being one of those. Here we feature 10 more vehicles that Vince and myself have looked over and reviewed over. Well since I’m taking part in this group, these are the ones that we feel failed design and engineering wise. Some I do like that Vince doesn’t like and then there are the ones that we kind of agree aren’t up to par. So without further ado, let us go over these next 10 vehicles that unfortunately won’t make the cut.

@AMuteCrypt

We start the eliminations with the car that is last on our design list. With the Ginan Eucla E25.

This is a car that we feel doesn’t look the part. It looks more of a standard sedan than a performance luxury sedan. The position of the door handles kind of throws of off and really it just seems rather bland. The rear diffuser doesn’t really match the body and the rear fascia is rather bland itself. Without further ado, we give the Ginan Eucla E25 a hard pass.

@Knugcab

Up next we have the IP Celestia Turbo Sedan

This one is next on our chopping block and while it’s not totally bad, it just doesn’t make our list of lookers. While there are some hints of performance, it still mostly resembles a regular sedan, it could use a little more of that performance look in a slightly better way too. To be honest I’m not a fan of the position of the hood vents and the side mirrors feel off. Also the front fascia, no offense to the IP Celestia kind of throws us off. Vince has a fetish for wrap around headlights while I prefer cleaner lines and shapes. Also with the rear tail lights seem like headlights. But either way though, we give this one a hard pass.

@Fletchyboy100 [Damn Ricers…]

Up next is the rather revolutionary in design AB Monozukuri Watchman 3.

Up next is this rather radical in style AB Monozukuri Watchman 3. Rather too radical, I haven’t seen a style like this before where the body is more rounded and has a radical fascia and wheels that you see at the race track. I am guessing the lads at AB Monozukuri have a certain vision they see is trending in Japan. For us though, we’ll have to pass on this.
[It’s not bad, but I would feel this would fit better in the early to mid 90s IMHO]

@nightwave [yeah… this one broke on us]

Here we have the Ibis Redtail GT8

-Doing this out of character, even though it’s still my name. The rear spoiler did have morph issues and just ruined the car. I’m also not a fan of the front fascia. With some clean up and fine tuning though, this could be a lot better. But I feel that this body in my opinion feels too rounded for something in the 1980s. Although it’s the late 80s and I’m sure it was coming around. This body would pull off in the early 90s.

@Quneitra

Up next on the chopping block is the Munot Helvetia 540S

Now stepping up is the Munot Helvetia 540S. This is a clean sedan, but really mostly that, a clean looking sedan. The mirrors and door handles though are smaller than I would like. The front is sharp while the rear U feel could use more work. I kind of feel for Vince about having somewhat of a wrap around light on this one. It’s okay but unfortunately we will be cutting this one.

@SuperLemonade

Up next is the AAI Dragoon

Honestly not too shabby there AAI. Your lines are pretty clean here although I feel you could use another shade of red and that your door handles could be a little more wider. I don’t think the side mirrors match this one either. But over all a solid design. However we regret we have to cut this one here.

Now we’re halfway through our list here. We will be back after a commercial break with the remaining six contestants. Until then, I’m Vince and I’ll see you again soon.

10 Likes

Must have been something that has gone wrong with the transition from stable to OB. The taillights are headlight fixtures for sure, but I did change the lenses to orange and red so why they show up clear is a mystery. This is no objection to the judging since I agree that it is not much of a looker, just a clarification so nobody thinks that I was drunk when I put the taillights in there.

2 Likes

Can confirm that