TV & Movie Car Challenge (Round 7): 777 [Results!]

You’d be better off PM’ing the file to the host. It might not be AS important for this round, but anyone can download it and see how it’s built.

The 1974 Earl Eagle POS: Big car comfort and style, small car price and usability. Designer vinyl bucket seats, console shift 3 speed automatic transmission, and standard 100 horsepower six cylinder engine.

Not to be confused with any other cars named Eagle or on this body.

4 Likes

yeah, thanks. been a while since ive entered a challenge

The 1976 Corydon Motor Works’ Outlander. Reliable, affordable, and all the new style you want.

Explore this great country of ours with your Outlander.

Your adventure starts now.
94 hp coupled to the 4 speed manual gives an impressive 14.6 mpg. Add in the great 1976 styling and this is a bargain at only $15,200 msrp. (taxes, title, and delivery extra).
The road awaits.

1976 Marvin Vernon 248P

It’s a nice car. It looks like a small Monaco. It’s as fast as a hornet. Has velour seats… I think.

BUY IT

2 Likes

1974 Franklin Dubit Firenze

With groovy styling direct from our European division, the '74 Dubit is sure to make you the coolest person in any situation. With the Firenze Sports package you can tear up the asphalt with 100 horses without smashing your bottom line. This is because the brand new Dubit I4, coupled with the sporty 4-speed manual, gets you a stunning 16* mpg! Now only $3095 at affiliated AMM dealerships.

Here’s what reviewers said:
“Utter rubbish.” Gary Megdano
“The thing looks like it was designed by a gaggle of blind idiots who refused to speak to each other.” Harry Fogle
“Why is all the ad copy in italics?” Sarah Haight

*Actual figure 15.3. Sports package consists of different paint and wheels and slightly increased cam profile.
Franklin Motors, the Red Oval logo and the Dubit Firenze trim name are registered trademarks of Associated Motor Manufacturing Inc., all rights reserved. 1974

4 Likes

1975 Bland Motors Stardust 3.5 Slush-O-Matic
The Stardust is Bland Motors current best-selling sub-compact.

Powered by a trustworthy and reliable 3.5L, pushrod-operated “SD6” series inline-6 capable of over 100hp in the top-of-the-range “twincarb” version, the Stardust 3.5 is the best option for people who want the grunt without wasting anything, also thanks to a fuel consumption of just 16mpg. In this particular version, the engine is paired with a 3-speed Slush-O-Matic transmission, made in house by Bland Motors, giving the car a very relaxed and calm pace. The top speed is a very up-to-date 118mph. The interior can sit 6 passengers with a big cargo space, and features one of the best in-car 8-track stereo systems currently available on the market in that price range. The exterior is available in 5 colors: Prosthetic Beige (the one in the photos), Lumpy White, Sad Grey, Unremarkable Brown and Sunbleached Red, with the interior available in either brown or beige

It might not be fast, luxurious, or even slightly remarkable about anything, but, as Bland Motors founder Aloysius Bland said, “the ones that get forgotten by history are the ones who did the most”, and you’ll be sure that this car will get you around fro hundreds of thousands of miles (boring, unremarkable miles, of course)

Bland Motors. Unremarkable over every expectation
Bland Motors, Boring Cars LTD, the “O” logo and the SD6 codename are part and propriety of the Lumpy Group, all rights reserved. 1976

The 1977 Vernon Adventurer 400cui Edition
Vernon’s Answer to the Rising popularity of The Luxury American Compact.

This Package shown here can be changed, altered or tweaked at any time, All rights Reserved by The Vernon Automotive Corp

Here’s a Neat , New little twist from Vernon, A Stanard T-bar roof, Simply remove two tinted glass rooof panels from your coupe, and then stow them away safely in the boot… And you’ve got the feel of a Convertible. Unbelievable, that the Vernon way. All the style you can Ask for in a Compact, Burly, Rugged Chassis, while Still being Pint Sized Compared to its Competitors. The Adventurer ride should please you, With it’s compact on the outside and Big car feel on the inside. And the Adventurer’s pep should please you as well. Engine choices range from a 400 Series 305cui (5071cc) Ohv 2v V8 with 4bbl carbs standard making a stately 155hp and 225 ft-lbs, While a Optional 400cui 6.6L LO V8 with uprated heads, stronger lifters and a number of other small tweaks to get it to 200hp and 295ft-lbs. (Check your nearby Dealer for insurance rates and other Details) And should you want a more personalized adventurer, you’ll find a full list of optional luxuries-- from power seats and windows to automatic speed control all available in the signature model

More Prestine Body Shots

9 Likes

Nice Can-Am… I mean Adventurer :sunglasses:

12 hours remaining

I have cars from:

@GassTiresandOil
@jameseydude
@KactusPantah
@Knugcab
@nicholasrams774
@rbiemer
@mart1n2005
@patridam
@GetWrekt01
@variationofvariables
@bigDave02
@micz244

If you sent one and are not tagged here please PM me.

5 Likes

1976 Marksman Sabre Utilty Panel - Entrente ‘S pack’

It’s Techically a 3 door Wagon… with enough room to shag in the back
Though does also share the chassis with a One Tonner…

I just did this as a Late Minute Meme… only to be accelarated by this lovely quote

S pack?? Think… Falcon GS rally pack.

Nice Sun visor, Twin 5.5 beams, a decent stripe, and the Hood from the V8.

8 Likes

Submissions are now closed! Results should be out within the next couple days.

6 Likes

The results!

The producers reached out the to prop procurement company’s vehicle division with a short prompt on the type of vehicle they wanted. Here’s what we got:

(in order of submission time, excluding finalists)

1976 Trident Garnet 5.0 V8

@Human89845524

Headshot:

Vehicle type:
subcompact short wagon, 5 passenger

Drivetrain: 305ci V8 3x2 carb with 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
The first thing of note with this car is the engine. With 3 two-barrel carburetors and a pretty hot cam, it makes quite a bit more horsepower than you’d expect from a 305ci engine of this era. The tires have relatively short sidewalls for the era as well, and the brake pads are similarly aggressive. It’s it a bit too upmarket for it’s size, with a very luxurious interior and advanced safety combining to give this small car a big price. In terms of style, things turn around. It’s charmingly ugly, looking reminiscent of the AMC Pacer and AMC Matador coupe. A few minor details like oversized doorhandles keep this car from the top of the crop on the styling front, but unfortunately the technical decisions prevent this car from being a finalist.

1976 Cheval Councour

@nicholasrams774

Headshot

Vehicle type:
compact sedan, 5 passenger.

Drivetrain:
350ci V8 4bbl carb and 3 speed auto

Thoughts:
A tale of two cars. On appearance alone, this car answers this casting call excellently. Just enough trim adorns a green on green-vinyl compact sedan, that’s well proportioned and generally handsome. Unfortunately there are a few major issues in the technical choices though; Corrosion resistant construction is pretty fancy for the class, 2 piston discs are pretty modern for the class as well. On the flip side, it’s use of a solid front axle is far too old tech for a passenger car in the 1970s.

1974 Hillstrom Talledega Speedback GTE

@Knugcab
Headshot:

Vehicle type:
Subcompact-compact coupe, 4 passenger

Drivetrain:
219ci V6 2bbl carb with 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
Speedback is in the name, and it shows in the design. It’s slightly oddly proportioned with a very long tail the gives a much longer rear overhang than front, and making the car actually quite large for its subcompact wheelbase. The nose is angular, angry and aggressive, and quite forward-thinking for a 1974 model. The design suffers from tiny plate syndrome, but it’s otherwise a fine design, if a touch quirky for our purposes. Technical choices are mostly in line; the engine is pretty powerful for it’s size thanks to a more aggressive cam than most entries, but it’s not out of line with it’s sporting attitude. It has wide tires, as you might expect from a sporting model, but on a hard compound.

1974 Direcdon Misla

@KactusPantah
Headshot:

Vehicle type:
subcompact 3 door short wagon, 5 passenger

Drivetrain:
122ci I4 1bbl carb with 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
Hmm. Mechanically there is a lot of weirdness here. Corrosion resistant construction is pretty fancy for a vehicle of this class, especially with this car’s diminutive 122ci 4 cylinder engine. Solid front axle is not a good choice. Despite the least powerful engine in test, fuel economy is unimpressive due to poor gearing. The car has staggered tire widths, with rear widths better suited to a sporting model than this bare bones subcompact. On the styling end, there’s not much happening; It’s very basic, which is not necessarily bad for what it’s trying to be, but the plastic-textured paint all over the car, including on the window trim, create the impression that’s its been painted hastily with spray paint cans in a parking lot.

1975 "The Horseshoe"

@jameseydude
Headshot:

Vehicle type:
subcompact 3 door short wagon, 5 passenger

Drivetrain:
152ci v6 2x1 carb with 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
Mechanically the car is OK but not without fault; the small V6 has an aggressive cam that makes for little low end torque and high specific output. The tires are wide for a hard compound, and has slightly short sidewalls. Styling is minimal but acceptable; hideaway headlights are a nice touch, but two piece glass tailgate with a 3rd brakelight feel way too modern for this car, and the side exit exhaust and horizontally-mounted antenna look strange.

1976 Corydon Motor Works Outlander

@rbiemer
Headshot:

Vehicle type:
subcompact 3 door short wagon, 6 passenger

Drivetrain:
155ci I4 with Fuel Injection and 4 speed manual

Thoughts
This car has room for improvement. Staggered tire widths and short sidewalls for the era. Engine has forged internals, a peaky torque curve, is fuel injected, and has a tubular header. 2 piston calipers on the disc brakes. Two rows of benches are a tough sell on a car this small, but that is a more minor issue. Styling wise, there is room for improvement as well; tiny plate syndrome leads to odd proportional sizes for the entire tail, and the design is very simplistic overall.

1976 Martin Vernon 248P

@GetWrekt01
Headshot

Vehicle type:
subcompact coupe, 5 passenger

Drivetrain:
213ci V6 with 2x2 carb and 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
Overall not a bad looking car at all; a few odd things in the styling proportionally (which will happen when you transplant styling from a much larger car onto a small body) but it’s still a looker. Maybe a touch fancy for it’s class, but that would be nitpicking. Unfortunately there’s some weirdness in the engineering though; it has tiny front discs with two piston calipers, and twin two-barrel carbs a little aggressive for a 213ci engine, but overall, not bad.

1974 Franklin Dubit Hatch

@bigDave02
Headshot:

Vehicle type:
subcompact hatch, 5 passenger

Drivetrain:
146ci I4 2 bbl and 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
A very middle of the road car. There’s nothing wrong here, but other cars outshine it. On an engineering front, the engine is a little peaky and it’s maybe a little basic a spec to have front discs, but these are minor complaints. Styling wise it’s the same story; it’s simple and handsome, and fits the bill well. Overall a good car that is just outshown by the star power of other entrants.

1977 Vernon Adventurer 400

@micz244
Headshot:

Vehicle type:
Compact coupe, 2 passenger

Drivetrain:
400ci V8 2x4 carb and 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
Another tale of two cars. The styling here is really impressive. Incredibly imposing and brutal, and few lines on the body are left without some tweaking. Mean, aggressive, late 70s look; very reminiscent of the Pontiac Can Am. Unique graphics package and T bar roof, lots of very interesting stuff going on here and the end result is brutal. This seems better suited to be the car of cool jock rather than our dorky protagonists, but there’s no denying it’s absolute presence. Unfortunately there are engineering issues holding it back. It’s a 1977 model, outside of the target range; it seats only 2, it has a twin 4 barrel carbs but only cast log exhaust manifolds, it has 2 piston calipers, and independent rear suspension. From the specs, this is more a dedicated GT car or very large sports car than what we’re looking for.

1976 Sabre Utility Panel Entrente S pack

@That-S-cop
Headshot:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/594488776311439365/725985437264379955/HiResPhoto221.png

Vehicle type:
Compact van, 2 passenger

Drivetrain:
244ci I6, 2x1 carb and 4 speed manual

Thoughts:
Looks sweet, lots of cool detailing here and a handsome, well proportioned beach machine. Mechanically everything is fairly sound too; it’s a sporty thing with a big I6, close ratio gearbox, correctly sized sport compound tires. The 2 piston calipers are the only setback… besides the elephant in the room. It’s a van. I love this car, I really do, but this is the wrong movie for it to star in. Anyone making a movie about Aussie surfers anytime soon?

Finalists:

5th Place:

1974 Denver Crusader Quaglia
@HybridTronny

Vehicle type: Compact coupe, 4 passenger
Drivetrain: 181ci V6 2bbl carb with 3 speed auto

I like this application of your Italian lore brand towards a luxury trim on an American car, and with the styling it’s got Mustang II Ghia written all over it, with some 1st gen Chevy Monte Carlo in for good measure. The car is solid, but it’s just outshone by the star power of other options here.

4th Place:

1976 Armor Motors Sunburst “Spirit of America”
@GassTiresandOil

Vehicle type: Subcompact coupe, 5 passenger
Drivetrain: 202ci V6 4bbl carb with 3 speed auto

This is a well thought out entry. Mechanically it makes no big mistakes, although a 4 barrel carb is a touch aggressive for a 202ci engine. The car design is straightforward and well executed, with a very nice red white and blue color scheme to go along with it’s bicentennial trim, including a half vinyl top and a T-bar roof. Overall this is an excellent entry.

3rd Place:

1974 Valiant Efinity V6
@mart1n2005

Vehicle type: Subcompact coupe, 4 passenger
Drivetrain: 182ci V6 2x1 carb and 4 speed manual

Handsome, smart, and sporty, with European flair. Good color choice. Very believable design that is cool and confident without too much macho detailing. I really can’t find fault with this car, but it’s styling is perhaps too sophisticated and handsome for our dorky protagonists.

2nd Place:

1974 Earl Eagle POS
@patridam

Vehicle type: Subcompact sedan, 5 passenger.
Drivetrain: 216ci I6 2x1 carb and 3 speed auto

Nail on the head styling-wise. Stately despite it’s size, proportionately massive bumpers, modeled interior. Not a smidge of modern cool factor outside of malaise irony. The only nitpick is that a sedan of this size says “import” more than “import fighter” but even that that wasn’t the final deciding factor.

1st Place:

1975 Quezon Laguna 327 Super Eagle
@variationofvariables

Vehicle Type: Compact coupe, 4 passenger
Drivetrain: 327ci V8, 2bbl carb and 3 speed auto

Oooh, love this. Period correct pony car. Nice cream two tone and custom cornball eagle badging. All bark and no bite thanks to a the gutless small block V8. It’s both cool and goofy-cute at the same time, with custom-made eagle badging adorning the hood and a rear end that incorporates the impact bumpers in a creative and attractive way.

Congradulations to @variationofvariables for taking home the win with the Quezon Laguna Super Eagle! I really can’t stress how close choosing between these two top cars was. They are both good realistic representations of the cars of the era. The Earl had more of the aesthetic I was expecting (albeit small for a sedan), but the Laguna has a look that feels fitting for a plucky, underdog type, which could work well for the prompt as well. Looking at their tunes and stats, they both filled their expected roles well, although, impressively, the large Laguna was the less expensive offering of the two. In the style of a movie, I decided to bring in a focus group (in the form of a friend who is not a car person and only knows about Automation through me) to ask; which of these feels more fitting for the movie plot? Her answer was similarly difficult, but in the end decided on the Laguna. So with all that in mind, the Laguna is the winner, but man oh man, I do wish I could say you’ve both won.

salamat po!

10 Likes

Congratulations to what seems to be a worthy winner! It will certainly not look out of place cruising around in Vegas in 1977, haha.

cue bill wurtz how did this happen
So uh thanks for hosting, I’ll see if I can host the next one. I think I’ve got an interesting enough theme but we’ll see I guess.
salamat rin po

3 Likes

Oof I think I forgot to properly touch up on the brake sizes. I moved the brake balance up and down but completely forgot to take care of the actual size of the front calipers. My bad. Great round though :smile: Thanks for hosting!

And if I should comment the rating on my car, you suggested crossplies at first, I thought radials was more of a sane choice for a sort-of-pony-car like mine. But I didn’t want to go for something stickier than “hard” even with the wide tyres to simulate some kind of cheapening out on the tyres to not make the car too good. But I understand the objection and respect it, sure.

Mine was basically a pinto clone, so yeh. Failure was deserved.

im fine with not being a finalist, partially cause im not very good, but mostly cause i wasnt trynna build a gopod car, hence the oneoff-ness of it

Praise for effectively a Meme, I’ll take that.