TV & Movie Car Challenge Round 9: Amateur Hour
Celebrated film writer and director Blaine Shack’s newest creation, Amateur Hour, has been greenlit. A black comedy crime film, it takes place over the course of one weekend in Los Angeles in the summer of 1987. All the stops are being pulled out to make the setting more eighties than the actual eighties, including a huge licensed soundtrack, digital recreations of since-demolished buildings, and fleets of period correct vehicles.
Two eighteen year old girls, rich and spoiled, but kind Jennifer Chadwick and her snarky hippie best friend Brenda Kim have to go from the Hollywood Hills into the city to bail out Brenda’s step brother Jason for a minor possession charge. But when Jason disappears, the girls find themselves in the middle of a massive conspiracy between the cartel and the government, with only the help of alcoholic private detective Freddie Dart as they try to piece together the mystery before time runs out. At both the end of the second act and the climax of the film, they come face to face with the kingpin of the entire cartel, Don Domingo Garcia himself.
Angourie Rice as Jennifer Chadwick
Sydney Park as Brenda Kim
Ki Hong Lee as Jason Kim
Russell Crowe as Freddie Dart
Luis Guzman as Don Domingo Garcia
Please nobody ever put me in charge of casting I just did a terrible job
What the studio needs you to do is to produce a car not for the heroes, but instead, the villain. The girls already have Jennifer’s blue-and-white compact convertible cast, but Don Garcia needs a car. It will be used in two pivotal scenes; one, a standoff in the LA River, where the girls return the suitcase of for Jason’s life; and during the climax while Garcia chases after them down the twisting roads of the Hollywood hills with his goons not far behind. Both scenes take place at night, and despite his wealth Garcia always drives himself - no chauffeured limousines here.
Getting You Into The Spirit
That music though: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEB62A95CB8D0705C
Of the utmost importance is that this car is aggressive, intimidating, and has a truly strong presence on screen. Preferably something fairly large and expensive looking - whether a supercar, a GT, luxury sedan, etc.. I am leaving it open to you as to what seems more villainous, more suitable to a crime lord. Stats are less important than the styling, and realism/period correctness will be preferred for engineering choices.
- The mainstream choice would be for a coupe or sedan. Convertibles and Offroaders are admissible but tread carefully with realism.
- While the car can potentially be from anywhere, it must be sold in the US, and not be a domestic market import.
- No sliders above +5, and just avoid quality spam in general.
- The car must accelerate from 0-62 mph in under 10 seconds (the chase requires the car to be notably faster than the girls’ 13 seconds).
- Here is the opposite of a rule: submit multiple vehicles if you want. Keep it to 3 though, and believe me, I will notice if you sacrifice quality.
- No 16 cylinder engines. I also don’t know why you’d want to use 3, 4, or 5 cylinders.
- The engine cannot be made after 1987 but engines going back to 1960 will be accepted. Families can go back even farther if necessary.
- Cars from 1970 or newer should run on some form of unleaded gas.
- Cars from 1975 or newer should have some form of catalytic converter.
- No Race Intakes
- No Warnings
- The trim cannot be made after 1987 but models going back to 1960 will be accepted.
- The car needs to have at least two seats of at least Premium quality and must have at least a Standard quality music system.
- Keep price within reason, certainly under $100,000. This should not be a problem without quality spam.
- Keep mileage within reason, at least 5 mpg.
- The stunt driver can drive manual, so just pick whatever transmission is more realistic for your type of car.
- The car must have all legally mandated equipment (lights, wipers, mirrors, etc.) California requires front license plates, and do not resize them. Use the 80’s California plate mod if you have it.
Submissions are closed. Qualifying rounds are complete and eight vehicles have entered the semifinals.