UE4 Exporter Update Discussion / Bugs

Found a bug: 90 degree V8 has the sound of a V6.

Edit: I did not try the 60 degree V8

Engine sound has bug. Changing engine configuration will not change to its respective sound without reloading the engine.

For example: I am making an Inline 4, then I change the configuration of that engine to Inline 6. It still sounds like Inline 4 unless I close the engine designer and reload the engine.

I think it happens to all configuration. Tested the second time; I made a V8, then change it to V6, it will still sounds like a V8 unless I close the engine designer and load the same engine again.

2 Likes

Weā€™re working on that one right now! Thanks for pointing it out.

When I am taking a photograph I click the take photo button and the game then crashes. My computer isnā€™t great but I have taken photos on a high res before the update no trouble.

Two thoughts on engine balance here:

1. Iā€™m not sure why I6 and V10 engines are smoother than a crosslane V8 - afaik, a crossplane V8 can be balanced out perfectly for 1st and 2nd order vibrations with big counterweights on the crankshaft, so having a greater cylinder count than an I6, it should actually be smoother given identical bore/stroke, albeit heavy for its displacement. A V10 on the other hand has a greater cylinder count, but cannot be balanced out completely, so it should probably be actually less smooth than a crossplane V8 for a given cylinder size.
  2. I think itā€™s kind of weird that engines reach their peak torque and power figures at lower rpm the more oversquare they are - shouldnā€™t it be the other way around? As it is, long-stroke engines are more suitable for high rpm as long as they donā€™t hit the rpm ceiling of the pistons/con rods.

It may be just where Iā€™ve put the timing splits on the track Iā€™m working on, but they sometimes show up in non-sequential order. A La:-
2017-10-17 (2)

EDIT:
I think it was where I put them, split 1 had a higher value than split 2ā€¦ but 3 still shouldnā€™t be at the top.

Iā€™m experiencing a recurring bug in the photo scene; any time I try to take a screenshot with the tool, it crashes to desktop, no matter what car or scene I have loaded in.

Also, a bunch of the textures have gone missing in the fixtures submenus; specifically, the semi-translucent red and amber textures.

One last thing, and itā€™s not a bug so much as itā€™s a requestā€¦would it be possible on the test track page to go back to seeing all the split times and lap times instantaneously, rather than having to wait for the car to go round the track in full? I mean some of the test tracks could conceivably take ten or more minutes to completeā€¦even at 5x acceleration, thatā€™s still two minutes of waitingā€¦not great if youā€™re chasing small, incremental improvements in lap times.

Once the car starts racing you can just hit the stop playback button and it gives you all stats I think.

The sounds for engines are still the same as the V6 for me. I think they all change after testing a V6 engine in the designer I made a V12 and I6 they both had the appropriate sound, but once I tested another V6 I made the sound was that of a V6 engine.

This is a very minor thing, and probably will be fixed by modders, but went ahead and tried to put a v8 badge on the car. Noticed there are no numbers :smiley:

1. A crossplane V8 is basically two I4s working against eachother, they still shake like hell (The Shelby GT350 actually vibrates at idle, and the Ferrari F360 does when you first get on to the gas). I donā€™t think the game is being unfair in that respect. I can understand the game giving I6 and V10 a smoother ratio (Although the only 72-degree V10 Iā€™ve ever been in was a BMW M5, it was quite smooth; The Viper on the other hand felt like a V8 still). While there is inherent inbalance to a V10, it also has more power overlap than a V8, which is likely why it has a higher smoothness rating.
  2. That is odd, but I think people have said that larger bores increase the valve sizes. Bigger valves means more airflow for a given RPM, more airflow means more power. Unfortunately, unless they give us proper control of the valvetrain (Not happening), itā€™ll likely always be an issue.

numbers are here

4 Likes

Reg. 1: The F360 has a flatplane V8, and thatā€™s actually two I4s side by side - a crossplane V8 has a completely different crankshaft with the 2nd/3rd/4th cylinder pair rotated at 90/270/180Ā° in relation to the 1st as opposed to 180/180/0Ā° in a I4 or flatplane V8 - the crank can be balanced with the counterweights I mentioned, while the inertia from the pistons from the opposite bank cancels out the vibration introduced by said counterweights (at least thatā€™s how I understand it - do correct me if Iā€™m wrong). I donā€™t know about the GT350, that one would definitely have a crossplane V8, maybe they fitted smaller counterweights to sacrifice smoothness for rev-happyness or somethingā€¦

EDIT Reg. 2: As I always understood it, the better airflow of oversquare engines basically means that torque should taper off at a slower rate than it would on an undersquare engine, but the combustion on an oversquare one would be less efficient due to the high aspect ratio (very flat), therefore the theoretical gross torque at low rpm would be reduced (but again, I have no technical background or anything, Iā€™ll gladly have things explained to me if Iā€™m wrongā€¦)

Audi, BMW, Dodge, Ford and Lamborghini ALL built 90deg V10ā€™s.
And apart from Dodge, they have the same firing sequence.
(second cyl bank is offset 180 deg on the Dodge)

Only Porsche (68) and Lexus (72) didnā€™t make 90 deg engines.

Which generation? Because the current one has a flatplane V8, which is far less balanced than a crossplane one (and, as Bastormonger says, is like two connected I4s).

@bastormonger AFAIK whatever counterweights would be used itā€™s impossible to perfectly balance an engine which is not already inherently balanced in itā€™s layout - which I6s are, while V8s arenā€™t.

As soon as I load the game, the fixtures spike just like so.

The opaque white, red, yellow and orange light materials have just turned into solid black.

1 Like
  1. Totally read your first reply as being about flatplanes, not crossplanes. Never mind then, completely changes what Iā€™m replying to (And yeah, the new Shelby is flatplane too, which is why I referenced it with the Ferrari - theyā€™re the only flatplanes I have experience with). Sorry! Your point makes a lot more sense then, although Iā€™d still argue that the V10ā€™s perhaps get a bonus to smoothness because the increased power overlap. The I6s make no sense though, I agree with you there.
  2. No, youā€™re not incorrect. A ridiculously oversquare engine will generally make less torque down low compared to an equally sized motor that is closer to square simply due to mechanics of it. But like I said, in Automation specifically, the valving is directly linked up to the bore size. So in the game, the more oversquare the engine becomes, the easier it becomes to breathe for the engine. A consequence of that is that even a mild cam will provide enough air for the motor, which allows good torque down low.

That seems to hold true for engines with odd cylinder counts per bank, because you always have a different number of pistons going up than down, so the bank rocks (not in a positive sense).

Just found a source according to which a crossplane V8 is indeed perfectly balanced (I think it generally describes engine balancing pretty well):
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-physics-of-engine-cylinder-bank-angles-feature

@RomeoReject

1. Ah, ok, that explains a lot. And yes, I agree with you on the smoothness bonus for the V10ā€™s greater power overlap, though the bank rocking due to the odd cylinder count would remain - question is, which one has the greater effect (I imagine crossplane V8 and V10 should be roughly comparable in smoothness in the end).

2. OK, I think I start to vaguely understand whatā€™s going on here, thanks for explaining. (Pity though, I kinda feel that Automation doesnā€™t give you a lot of freedom in ā€œshapingā€ the torque curve/controlling the rev range)

1 Like

The new headlights sink in the body.

I think that in a V10 it might be balanced by the other bank, just as it (AFAIK) is in V6s and V8s.