Ultra Lightweight Competition (RESULTS!)

looking really cool! excellent example

1 Like

epic, working on it rn

1 Like

Great Job dude! Great Competition I will defenetly participate. I wont miss thsi by any chance.

1 Like

Definitely not aiming for win with this one, as it is extremely unoptimised for the challenge, but here we go.
Jelkala LWSC

7 Likes

The Wells A1 Haul-R

4 Likes

Have to switch my attention somewhere else, so here goes. Engineering is pretty :crazy_face: but that’s probably why the laptime should be pretty competitive. However, I have no clue how to put a useful design on this. So, feel free to give me negative score in aesthetics…

3 Likes
9 Likes

Question: is there any policy on what fixture mods are available/unavailable?

I realize my design is very dependent on a couple, wanted to make sure before I continue with it.

there is no policy banning any, if you want to make sure that i have them for when you submit, dm me on discord or pm me on forums

ricer moment

3 Likes

ONE DAY REMAINING FOR SUBMISSIONS
They close at june 10th at 23:59 GMT -3

The 1994 Mikilotov Craic SSR (1970-1982)

A Soviet-bloc hot hatch.

Backstory

The Mikilotov Craic (pronounced “Crack”) had always been aimed at the world. For example, rather than a grandiose name in Russian or the like, it was named after an Irish slang word which meant nothing to Archanans (or, as the propogandists failed to realize, anyone that wasn’t Irish). The whole point of the car was to show the superiority and “coolness” of Soviet design

And how do you make a car seem cool? Not by making it any good, of course. You give it a sport version! The SSR was their most basic hatchback converted into a hardcore track car, with (among other things) reworked suspension, solid-disc brakes, a heavily re-tuned engine and a stripped down interior.

The point of the car was to emphasize that in a communist society, everyone could own a car like this for just $10,000; Though they actually charged a bit more, as it cost a ton to engineer, and was very limited in production.

Now, contrary to many Soviet cars of the time (including the craic), the SSR wasn’t actually half bad a car. They were well built, and loads of fun on a track. But they weren’t very fast; they maxxed out short of 95mph (~150kph) on level road, for example. I mean, this hardcore sports car had the performance figures of a Frunian family hatchback; and way less comfortable too, since it had been stripped down and hardened so much.

It didn’t sell many westerners on the “superiority of communism.” It just made them laugh.

Despite being produced for over a decade (nearly unchanged), not that many were made, and they weren’t exactly the most popular of cars- People generally thought of them as all bark, no bite. But today, they enjoy a strong cult following of people who see value in a car that can’t do anything; except offer a good time, both ironically and not.

(post edited after initial release; I misunderstood the project requirements, and tried to build a 650 pound car (295kg)! Once I realized the error, I was able to redo it and let this car be itself.)

Side note/disclamer

The name “Mikilotov” is a slavic-sounding word that I made up on the spot, and isn’t supposed to mean anything; but I don’t speak a slavic language, and so if it does mean something in some language, then I’m not aware of that, and I’m sorry.

I can’t wait to see where this competition goes. The simple prompt of “car weigh very little” has led to such a broad variety of entries, and I really want to see how such different cars compete against each other.

5 Likes

Zephorus 1-2 KNA

Important stats:
546Kg
194hp
1.44G Cornering

2.0L I4 nearing 100hp/L, with fuel economy of 40mpg (UK)
This is basically a stripped out track car, a full 6 speed sequential gearbox, despite that it’s still reliable but maybe a little expensive when it does break.

8 Likes

RESULTS:
It took me some time to get the full results as I have lots of things to do last week and this week, why did I put the deadline here then? Unexplainable question, but well in the end I had lots of fun hosting this challenge and I hope you find satisfying my feedback, I will accept yours, there is a lot of variety in the entries and I hope you found it interesting all in all. But lets quit the intro and get to the contenders:

Wells A1 Haul-R:
The first contender, and what a submit I may say, I was not expecting anything like this when I created a lightweight championship, and this pick-up really caught me by surprise having a weight of only 604.3kg. It is powered by a 1902cc Inline 3 engine which gives all the power to the rear wheels with a manual 5 speed transmission. This car has an almighty diffuser, and a really long truck bed, which in an unexplainable way gives a sporty look to the car. Unfortunately, the pick-up lacks power which gives it a low top speed and a slow acceleration in comparison with other contenders.
ATT Simulator time: 2:26.78
Quarter Mile time: 15.31
Creativity: 5
Aesthetics: 3

Centurion Ballista:
Now it’s the Ballista’s turn, I personally really like the Caterham style cars, and this was one of the cars I was looking forward to seeing in this competition. This car looks amazing and the weight is 626.3kg, perfectly fitted. The power unit of the Ballista is a 1997cc Inline 4 engine, which makes 209.7hp and it brings it to the all wheel drive system with a manual 6 speed transmission. This open wheel beast counts with a really impressive job with the design and also the highest top speed reaching 346km/h, although it does not have the best cornering of the contenders.
ATT Simulator time: 2:06.83
Quarter Mile time: 11.7
Creativity: 4
Aesthetics: 5

Greenhills Lightning Concept:
Well here we have some strange and relatively poor design of a car, it looks like a started but never finished idea, but pushing that aside, it has some incredible stats and a weight of 637.4kg. 264.5hp is the power made by the 1948cc V6 of this car, this is one of the highest powers in the competition, and this time we have a front wheel drive car, with a 6 speed manual transmission. The Lighting Concept has a really positive performance in a track, as it is really balanced in most aspects, maybe being rear wheel drive would have made it faster, we will never know.
ATT simulator time: 2:05.84
Quarter Mile: 12.19
Creativity: 2
Aesthetics: 1

2012 Joyeux X6:
When I placed the inspiration pictures, I wanted to keep them from being a lot so the ideas were more original, so now I will admit the modern type of open wheeler was also a brilliant choice, in my head this car is related to the LCC Rocket, but a modern version of it. Having a weight of 553.5kg, the X6 produces the highest power of the competition with 272hp, which are provided by a 2000cc V6 engine. The power mentioned reaches the rear wheels with a 4 speed sequential transmission, which gives the car a really fast acceleration, and a really good top speed, which including the great aerodynamics, gives the car the fastest car in the track and the only one to be below 2 minutes
ATT simulator time: 1:57.75
Quarter Mile time: 10.98
Creativity: 5
Aesthetics: 4

Mikilotov Craic SSR:
I really can’t find an explanation for being in love with this car, maybe it’s my love for shitboxes, or maybe it reminds me of My summer car, maybe it was the exciting backstory in the forums, I don’t really know. The Mikilotov is not really competitive as it takes years to make a lap, and it is extremely low budget, but it has some impressive 509.9kg total weight. The 500cc Inline 3 produces some poor 40.1hp, which is by far the less powerful engine in the competition, it has a rear wheel drive system and a 4 speed manual gearbox. The car was made with really little technology and lacks track performance, and even though I really like it I have to be objective.
ATT simulator time: 2:55.55
Quarter Mile time: 21.45
Creativity: 3
Aesthetics: 2

Zephorus 1-2 KNA:
This car was the modern hatchback lightweight that was missing in the challenge, it has nice track looks and the stats talk for themselves, 546.6kg is not something everybody achieves in a road legal track based car. The 2000cc Inline 4 of the Zephorus produces 194.2hp, which are transmitted to the rear wheels with a fast 6 speed sequential gearbox. This track machine has a good overall performance and it is found to be one of the most balanced car within the contenders in almost any category, though maybe this may make the car not be a highlight, in the end most of the times consistency is key, so it achieved good results.
ATT simulator time: 2:07.16
Quarter Mile time: 12.66

Mini God Prototype:
Actually I am still trying to find a supercharged 80’s Mini Cooper fully made of carbon fiber, this is the most out of context model I have seen here. I mean it is not possible someone thought of this sin, well it is but I can understand why. Without taking into account the craziness of this car, it is the lightest of the competition with only 483.5kg, which is indeed no weight at all. Moreover, its power unit is a 2000cc Inline 4 engine which pulls out 221hp, it has a front wheel drive system and a 4 speed manual gearbox. I really found fun this car all in all, the white face tyres finish the madness of this car, although the details are not that much, and it could be better in the track.
ATT simulator time: 2:12.94
Quarter Mile time: 12.9
Aesthetics: 2

Jelkala LWSC:
Finally, the last car, and what better than a european style lightweight to end the championship, this car looks really good, and has lots of style from everywhere you see it, but let’s get the stats. The Jelkala, weighing only 517kg, is powered by a 2000cc boxer 4 engine, which is the only flat engine in the contenders, and it makes 231.5hp. The drivetrain is rear wheel drive and it has a 5 speed manual gearbox, and it has a great top speed in the straights. This car has a really nice style and it is really fast on the track, as it presents good aerodynamics and cornering, which give a final all in all really positive performance. Special comment to the wheels which I liked a lot.
ATT simulator time: 2:03.19
Quarter Mile time: 11.23

Final scores:

Cars ATT QM Creativity Aesthetics Weight Total
Wells A1 Haul-R 2 - 5 3 1 11
Centurion Ballista 5 2 4 5 - 16
Greenhills Lightning C 6 1 2 1 - 10
2012 Joyeux X6 10 5 5 4 2 26
Mikilotov Craic SSR 1 - 3 2 6 12
Zephorus 1-2 KNA 4 - 3 4 3 14
Mini God Prototype 3 - 3 1 8 15
Jelkala LWSC 8 3 3 4 4 22

Congratulations CriticalSet9849!
1st: 2012 Joyeux X6
2nd: Jelkala LWSC
3rd: Centurion Ballista

Note: This was my first challenge host, I had fun doing it and I accept all types of feedback. I look forward to hosting many more!

7 Likes

Scoreboard in order of placing, for ease of reference:

1st: 2012 Joyeux X6 (26)
2nd: Jelkala LWSC (22)
3rd: Centurion Ballista (16)
4th: Mini God Prototype (15)
5th: Zephorus 1-2 KNA (14)
6th: Mikilotov Craic SSR (12)
7th: Wells A1 Haul-R (11)
8th: Greenhills Lightning Concept (10)

Good game ya’ll! A lot of creativity on display from the players, and the host had some nice descriptions about each one! :D

If I had one bit of feedback, you might want to be clearer from the outset regarding how things are graded for more subjective areas like “creativity.” But that’s a minor nitpick for an otherwise fabulous job!

5 Likes

Dayum bro, almost got poduim. Nice cars on podium tho, and also great challenge man

3 Likes

Firstly, thanks to @frantesta for creating the challenge. Very enjoyable!

As for the challenge itself…

Congratulations to Joyeux as the winner…and my favourite looking entry!

Congratulations to the Jelkala for 2nd place.

Thank you to the 4th and 5th place guys for letting me sneak through to 3rd!! :rofl:

3 Likes

This was definitely a cool challenge for sure, to see the different range of entries was nice. The Joyeux is something I wish I could drive in real life!!!

My original design was the K1

http://discourse.automationgame.com/t/wells-automotive-v-2/38608/15

but either my weight conversion was off or I just couldnt get the weight low enough, so I scrapped it and entered what I did.

1 Like

Wow that car looked really cool indeed, it would have been a nice choice if it met the requirements

1 Like

That Joyeux is possibly the coolest thing I have seen being created with Automation, ever!

Who would even have imagined such things in the Kee era? Lol.

4 Likes