Vector City News Network - Automobile Review Division

Yeah, i had someone submit a supermini just a while ago. If it works then it could be an idea.

The batteries are loud because, lore-wise, it’s pretty much just a bunch of early 2000’s laptop batteries glued on-top of each other inside of a giant box with the Jacket logo slapped on. You know how the old laptops were really loud when you turned them on? Imagine the box as a giant, old laptop.

EDIT: Actually, it’s the fans. Lore-wise, Jacket skimped on the fans a little.

No. Lore-wise, not only are the battery fans loud, but the battery itself is slightly unstable. A fuel tank puncture or sliding into a ditch rear first would, should, and can cause what happened in the GIF.

Though, it’s not that common. Easily avoidable if batteries are fully turned off.

1 Like

Pardon, turn the batteries off? As in, the car’s only way of getting electricity around? Might I ask how combustion would occur in the engine?

2 Likes

The hybrid batteries. The engine has it’s own separate supply. Sorry if that makes no sense whatsoever.

Right, so the regular engine/drivetrain and whatnot have their own power supply, but the hybrid drivetrain is completely separate? It’s two completely separate drivetrains, transmissions, etc? It’s basically two complete cars then…

I guess you could say that?

That’s not unusual, if the drivetrains are powering different axles (see: BMW i8, Acura NSX). Also, most hybrids do in fact have separate batteries for the electrical drivetrain, because the voltage requirements are much higher.

1 Like

No, ALL hybrids would have separate batteries for their electric power-train, unless there exists a Toyota Prius that specifically runs off the one car battery that I’m unaware of.

But these cars have interwoven drivetrains, so that the two systems could benefit from one another, that is the point of a hybrid. The gasoline engine can charge the batteries, and the electric motors can assist the gasoline engine. In the NSX’s case, there is an electric motor in between the V6 and the Transmission to perform torque fill to reduce turbo lag.

All of this potential efficiency and speed would be wasted, as well as there would be the added challenge of synchronizing the two completely seperate systems. It would be like trying to get a Nissan Leaf to move exactly the same alongside a Porsche 911.

3 Likes

The noise in question is caused by the CPU cooling fan. It is not related in any way to the batteries.

4 Likes

June 27, 2017

Editor and main reporter: Trevor Hamilton

Secondary reporter: Julia Renolds

Jacket sales going down after recall + Dansworth e-petition signed by 200,000 people

Our first story begins with the temporary recall of certain Model 97 automobiles after it was discovered that the non-convertible edition is prone to fires and electrical discharge going through the body.

The recalled cars in question are the special Jacket Anniversary Edition Model 97’s, released to celebrate Jacket’s 30 year anniversary, and features, among other changes, a non-convertible roof, Semi-Slick tyres, and a special Matte Green paint-over for an extended price of $87,560. Jacket says that the car is designed for competitive and casual track-day racing.

However, a wrench was thrown into their plans when it was revealed that top Japanese racing driver Shiru Takido was injured when a fire was started in the garage of Japanese racing team Utopia86. The culprit? A faulty battery from the team’s Jacket Model 97 Anniversary Edition.

Upon further inspection, it was revealed that Shiru was not alone: 6 other Model 97 AE owners have reported to have been either shocked by the faulty electrical wiring from the hybrid battery or burned by the fires it has started. 2 of the 6 have reported to be dead. Jacket has yet to comment on the issue. In the meantime, the cars have been mostly recalled and replaced by the standard crimson convertible.

In other news, anti-violence politician John Dansworth’s petition to “stop violence in the world of media” has reached over 200,000 signatures online. The petition, entitled “Dansworth’s Violence Roadblock,” aims to reach at least 500,000 signatures, where it will be sent to big media corporations and game developers such as BRTV and The Station’s Network, Dragon-106 FM, and even our very own parent company, Harris Media.

In an interview with Vector City News Network, Dansworth said that “The online petition is the key to stopping our problems with violent media that teaches kids and adults how to do stuff like dangerous driving and drugs. We will not stand idly by while these capitalists ruin society with disorder and chaos influenced by their stupidity.”

When the maximum amount of signatures is reached, Dansworth says that he and his law company will attack with cease and desist letters to big corporations telling them to cease all operations that include violence and chaos alike, and instead host content suitable for a broader audience.

“We want people to learn valuable lessons, like how to not take drugs, or maybe tell them about good stories like, i don’t know, reunited lost pets? Fixed roads? Not these stupid things about people getting shot and stabbed. It’ll just encourage others to do the same.”

Some media companies have complied with the order, hosting more suitable content with less violence. However, The Station’s Network and Dragon-106 FM have fought back, and seemingly with more than just words: Dansworth’s secret life was revealed on social media yesterday, only to be taken down with a threat to anyone else who posts his private info.

Everyone posted his private info.

1 Like

I was just about to edit the other post to say that. Yeah, lore-wise, Jacket basically took 2 or 3 early 2000’s era computer fans and put them inside the hybrid battery to cool them down. Very loud, indeed.

1 Like

I am seeing some flaws in these

At a price of roughly 100k per car, and with a markup of 10% of loss from each sale (not to mention price for the factory floor to build this), this statement means company has sold 30 cars and lost USD 300000

Also the guy who designed the roof mechanism for 97 (all of it) should probably get fired judging by the description of it’s inner workings, and the placement of the switchgear. The fact that you are getting 10L/100km and trading it in for a 7.8 0-60 is weird, considering you are running a v8 turbo. I was expecting 5 seconds, and about 3-4 liters less. I would check your tires, fuel map and gearing. And for 80 grand… a car that’s closest competitor would be a miata, it’s not “cheap little sportscar” :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, now that i look at it, those numbers i put for the Cormond 412 aren’t the most realistic. What if it was instead $24 million dollars in 6 months? Lore-wise, the factory floor would cost about $2.2 million, and 30 cars cost about $3,000,000, i would guess.

Tires are Sports Compound, and i took a picture of the gearing graph. As for the fuel, the 97 is running RON 95 Premium, or RON 94.8 according to the game. Usually when i make a car i don’t really use math or anything: I just go in and try to make a car suitable for the intended task or audience. So why it gets such a high 0-60 time compared to the Cormond is way beyond me.

That is partly to the fact that you’re starting a 40-60 mph climb at 160hp due to your power curve, and partially due to the fact that you have no grip. The tires are not wide enough for 300hp. The power seems adequate enough. I ran a 5 liter twinturbo eco engine at less power and had good acceleration figures due to loads of grip and light weight, so you should be good once you sort out the wheelspin issue.

Before i make another story, i have some IRL news to break.

I have another computer.

If you saw my description, it says something about a broken laptop screen. Before i continue on, the following image is NOT what it currently looks like.

The glass isn’t broken, (technically) however half of the screen is covered up with some weird rainbow pattern that changes color when i press down on it. While i have been able to play stuff on it, (like Automation, obviously) it is still hell to constantly have to move the window around to the right spot to do stuff. So, i decided to change.

What i got was a foreign-looking tablet computer from a company called Proscan, a PLT1090-K with Windows 10 pre-installed. 32-bit, 16 GB of storage. I couldn’t find anything about what was actually under the hood, though, so i’m just going to guess it’s running an Intel Atom.

Apparently, it’s supposed to turn into a tablet and then stuff happens. But it doesn’t work. It was apart when i got it, but i can’t figure out how to turn it into a tablet. In addition to being foreign-looking and having under-capitalized words, (it booted in portrait mode the first time, and apparently it always does that. In the paper that warned that it does so, Windows 10 wasn’t capitalized.) it also really isn’t that strong.

The first time i had it, i put it in my backpack so i could go for a little drive without anything bad happening. I stopped in a cafe and opened it up, and the screen was cracked. Just some lines, though, nothing too concerning, but imagine what it could eventually grow into as the years pass-by. (If it even lasts a month.) Piss-poor performance doesn’t make anything better: i tried to download Chrome, only to realize that the thing itself is extremely slow. And then, it just kind of… reset. Loading circle and a red background when i was downloading Chrome. It became a bit better after it came back, but, nonetheless, still very slow. Now let’s talk about my Acer.

The Acer laptop in question is an Aspire ES1-531, complete with Windows 10 and a less-than-powerful Intel Celeron N3050.

It’s big and bulky, but it’s a good little machine. At least it was, until the LCD screen cracked. It’s powerful, to be honest. Sure, you can’t run Need For Speed or Battlefield 1, but it can do some decent stuff. And, it’s a 64-bit, whereas the Proscan is a 32-bit. Also, the brand name is more popular, so there’s that.

The choices i have are basically the beginning of The Surge, if you think about it: Do i go with the powerful, bulky Rhino, or the nimble, low-health Lynx?

I was going to say something about me not being a paralytic, but i’m not going to risk it.

Enough with the off-topic speech, though. The real question is: what does this mean for the Vector City News Network?

Well, i’ll have to get to grips with my new computer until i can get a new screen for my other one. So, i’m not going to be creating cars anymore for a while. Feel free, however, to PM any creations with pictures and statistics right there in the post. I may not be able to create cars, but at least i can still review them.

EDIT: Well, once everything’s cleared up with the admins for something, we here at VCNN are back in business! And the cars we have are unremarkable: OSCAR has been having a field day with their Zebra Turbo hatchback, and the track monster, the OSCAR GTX-11. Strider has been getting in the groove as well, with their blast-to-the-past sports car, the Stalker. Nothing from Dalimash, Gauntlet, or Grant & Co., but once we add in the 3 more, then we have a party!

EDIT EDIT: Not to be depressing or anything, buuuut…

Broken screen.

(taken from my Proscan, not a bad camera if you ask me)

1 Like

Sorry to hear about all of this. Hope you can get back up and running soon, really want to see what the team at VCNN make of the Erin Visto!

1 Like

Sad we didn’t get to see this thing, tragedy, aint it :frowning:

6 Likes

Go for the Acer but I would seriously consider looking into building a light gaming desktop. Ryzen 3, AM4 A320 itx, tiny case to save $, a generic HDD, and a rx560.

I can make you a list because a $500 desktop will be miles better than any of those shitty laptops.

1 Like

July 3, 2017
Main Editor and Reporter: Rodger Manson
Secondary Editor and Driver: Jason “Lightning” Alonzo
Special Guest(s): Alistair Ventnor & Eleanor Ventnor

Petosky Co-Founder Turns 100

Petosky Motors Co-Founder Alistair Ventnor turned 100 today. How he’s still alive, i have no idea.

If you didn’t know, Petosky was founded somewhere in the late 1930’s, where the Great Depression was still taking place, and Vector City was still getting hammered by the civil war going on there. I actually have a yellow Bambino GT in some godforsaken garage on Faraday Street i drive around once in a while, passed down by my late grandfather, so i guess i’m sort of familiar with the guy. Despite the scandals and lazy adverts in the olden days, it seems that they’ve changed a lot in the past years.

But what’s so special about today, then? I mean, we don’t really cover birthdays at all.

(Unless it’s John Dansworth’s birthdays, which indicate hope that he one day retires so he doesn’t kill us all with his endless blubbering about violence in the media.)

Whuuuuuh?

A hypercar? By Petosky?

We got the inside scoop on the new Ventnor Amindre, designed to compete with the beloved Bugatti Veyron. However, unlike the Bugatti Veyron, it doesn’t cost 1.5 million dollars, in fact it’s about $625,000, tops according to Ventnor’s number-crunchers. But does it go any fast?

Well, the first indicator that this is a fast car is a 0-60 time of 2.5 seconds. That’s faster than the McLaren P1. And the Porsche 918. And OSCAR’s upcoming monster, the GTX-11. (We hope.) While it isn’t the best track day car, this thing has been reported to do about 282 mph, and it will absolutely roast a quarter mile like it’s a WW2 flamethrower, with 8.94s @ 175 mph.

Under the hood, we have a 1,431 hp Magnesium V12, turbo-charged with Direct Injection and more personality than a talking chicken with a bowl full of Coco Puffs and a bunch of cheesy 80’s action movies.

The entire thing seems to be made of Carbon Fibre, and the entire thing is a single shell for maximum power. A 7-speed double clutch gearbox puts the shifters on the steering wheel, precise and good-feeling. Pushrod suspension, and Longitudinal All-Wheel-Drive makes it so that the car doesn’t slide off into the distance and blow up. But just because this is an absolute monster, don’t think it doesn’t have it’s flaws.

For one, the interior in this thing is out-of-place. Yes, it has leather seats and the latest GPS software, but i feel like it just… doesn’t feel right. Though, i won’t take away points for that. Just my opinion, i guess. Although what i WILL take away points for is how loud and bumpy it is. I want to feel the engine, not every single pothole in Vector City! And don’t get me wrong, this thing isn’t a gas guzzler, our number-crunchers say that this will do about 16.22 L to the gallon.

But every time, i feel like it isn’t actually off when you turn it off. Not only is this, apparently, a waste of gas, but i feel like it’s a paparazzi method that works really well. You see, the car has a camera in the front and the back. This wouldn’t be an issue if there wasn’t a picture of me in a leather jacket and Terminator style-glasses all over Facebook, posing with a Nerf minigun painted black and a paper-mache coffin in front of the car.

And apparently, other people are reporting this issue, too. If i’m not mistaken, Ventnor had this in the manual. On page 118, it says that the car takes pictures of it’s surroundings to better understand the terrain and conditions. While it can be useful at sometimes, it seems that Ventnor is a little too concerned about our privacy, and of course they won’t have some kind of update to prevent curious journalists and other shady figures from getting our stuff that we don’t want to see on social media.

There are other problems, but i don’t want to be too nit-picky. In fact, my rant about how both my face and my love for Terminator being exposed took up valuable time we could have used for interviews with the both. Not that it would matter, as Eleanor declined to interview and Alistair stayed home after his track day to celebrate with his daughter and friends.

As for the car, if you can afford it, then go for it. It’s fast, it’s good-looking, (although i think the tail-lights are a tad small) and it’s well-engineered, too. And, if you’re a Dansworth supporter, there’s plenty for you to criticize about the car, like how it encourages speeding with it’s “low price tag” and “accessibility to criminals who want to cause havoc.”

There’s only 100 in existence, though, so you better get cracking before they’re all bought up by all the rich people.

4 Likes

July 6, 2017
Main Editor and Reporter: Macki Georgson

Secondary Editor and Driver: Jason “Lightning” Alonzo

It’s Finally Here: The Erin Visto

If you didn’t know, some recent bombings over here at Vector City caught the eye of government officials and the likes, and because, apparently, the packages were foreign, it was enough for the government to raise import taxes to such ridiculous levels, words don’t even begin to describe it.

Import laws have been brutal ever since: All of a sudden, we have to pay 3x more than we had to just so we could get the Walker 6 and the Grant & Co. Sydney! But no car has been as expensive as the Visto. The new super-mini from Erin costs as much as 1.3 million to import over-seas, and don’t even get us started on adding the fees for the transport itself.

Now, it’s here. And to be honest, it’s nothing like we’ve ever seen.

Not in a bad way, of course.

When we first got behind the wheel, the first thing Jason said while he was checking out the interior, was simply, “Wow.” Nothing more, nothing less.

The interior is so well-organised, everything is right where you need it. And it’s not like anything is un-necessary, either. It’s got just the right amount of buttons and switches you need. Sure, the interior itself isn’t the greatest ever, but it’s just so simplistic, and lovable. And it’s not like it’s very boring, either. The Front-Wheel-Drive actually makes everything really enjoyable, and while it didn’t really earn any top spots on our leader-boards, the drive was absolutely worth it. No fuss, no drama, no under or over-steer, just clean, clean corners. It’s got a top speed of 121, not too much and not too little. The Inline 4 made things even better, due to being nice and light. It’s not too shabby.

But then the car spun out. An instant replay showed a shocking development: At it’s top speed, the front wheel started to spin. And only the front wheel. One of them.

So, while it has an Open differential, you can still get some decent fun out of this… if you don’t push it to it’s limits.

Practicability-wise, the open suburbs of Oaksonn Drive is where this really shines. It’s got enough space for stuff, and it’s high-tech. We called the office with the hands-free calling system to tell them that we were going back to pick-up some willing test subjects. But, we were only driving the Coupe version. And we managed to sneakily lower the prices for two cars to be shipped.

And with that, we switched to the 5 door version.

It’s relatively the same, but it’s got 5 doors. Or, 4 doors and one trunk.

While it does rob some space in the trunk, we still went grocery shopping with no fuss whatsoever. It’s got a slightly reduced top speed of 119 mph, but really, would it matter?

When we got on the Archana Superway, things got even better with fuel consumption. It only takes up 5.75L per 100km, which makes things much better when you’re on the freeway on a long drive. It’s got a good radio, and we kicked it up to high volume on the superway blasting some Dragon FM tunes. It’s also reliable and tough: To be honest, this might be the next Toyota Hilux. Actually, scratch that, it’s really not that tough. But it’s cheap.

I don’t want to spoil the experience by saying more: This is honestly the best car ever. It’s won so much awards, it’s earned Erin so much money, and i honestly cannot say more. Buy it. You have an order for a Lamborghini, an Avantgardo, an OSCAR, cancel it NOW and get this instead. Just amazing.

6 Likes

For buyers on a budget, I think an Erin Visto, and not some jacked-up crossover, should be all the car they need…