Vulcan Motor Company (VMC)

(Background Photo Credit)

https://unsplash.com/photos/CezwSTVvvyk

Some Background

A Foreword

I’ve always been on the fence of making a car company in this game and actually giving it lore. I tend not to do well with executive functioning, so this is something that is quite hard for me. But I still want to create a cohesive and interesting car company that provides style AND function. I’ll learn along the way, and I hope you learn something too! Before I begin, I would like to thank the automation discord and this amazing community for improving my tuning, styling and engineering skills in this game. Without them, I wouldn’t be here.

My plan for this company is to creative an interesting story to go along with each car I make for this company. This will not be in chronological order, since, to be honest, I suck at designing any car before the '80s, and this company has existed since 1954. I will go by the order of which I create cars, so it will not be as tidy as it could be, unfortunately (I may make a second thread after I have a cohesive collection of early cars to make a timeline). I hope you enjoy this as much as I have enjoyed making it. If there is anything you think I can do better, please let me know.

How I will upload cars

As I mentioned before, I will upload my cars irratically. So, I will have them as replies to this topic, and add them in the “Cars” section down below to download and skip to. As of the creation of this post, I am working on lore of the 1st car I’m uploading; the VMC Marsielle.

Story

Chapter 1: Complete Exhaustion

The year is 1950, a booming post-war economy has allowed Gasmia to flourish with many car companies, each competing for a chunk of the new-found wealth of the country. One of these companies is Yorkdale Motors (YM), a long-standing (and rather old-school) company that has been seeing moderate growth. But the this growth was not enough for it’s owner Adam Yorkdale, and he quickly succumbed to greed, firing massive amounts of people and underpaying the rest to “save costs”.

One of these massively under-payed people was head YM engineer Nicholas “Nick” Trent, a somewhat new arrival to the company. He was only 41 years old at the time and had only had the job for 8 years, but he was leaving from the horrific undervalue of his work. He tried to negotiate with Yorkdale, to which he failed and, in frustration, quit. Luckily, he was paid rather handsomely before his wage cut, and in 1954 was able to create a new company; Vulcan Motor Company (VMC). Nick Trent’s goal was simple; make solid cars and don’t fall into greed.

Chapter 2: The Beginning of Vulcan

Shortly after making a few prototypes and hiring friends for design and engineering, VMC was already doing fairly well, considering how young it was. For 30 years it was slowly gaining in popularity and fame, being known as a great middle-ground between luxury and economy. Since VMC cars were known to be a little smaller than the excessive land-yachts from other companies in Gasmea, the oil crisis and start of the Malaise era suited VMC quite well. With the creation of the VMC Marsielle in 1980, a new boom for VMC was found.

But this boom, unfortunately, did not last long, since the Marsielle became outdated by 1987. But that was small compared to the larger crisis that occured; Nick Trent died of a cancer at the age of 78. Luckily, his son Adam Trent was just as skilled as he was, and was able to inherit and continue the VMC tradition. Since Adam was 38 at the time, he understood the current markets better than Nick did, and even went as far as changing the marketing of VMC to simply “Vulcan”, which still exists to this day.

Cars

Car Bookmarks

Use this to skip to cars I’ve uploaded in this topic:

1. Marseille
3 Likes

Car #1: Marseille (1980-1987)

Foreword

I originally made this car (The EL trim, specifically) for Sliphantom’s 80s Fleet Car Challenge, but because the rules were so loose, and because I’ve spent a lot of time on this car relative to others, I would introduce it to my company’s lore. I would like to thank @kmBlaine for an enormous amount of help tuning this and keeping it accurate to the time period.

Also, you may notice that it is the silhouette in the original banner!

Background

The VMC Marsielle was the last car created by the company during the lifespan of Nick Trent, the founder of the company. It was introduced in the 1980 model year and had a refresh in the 1985 model year, which is the current one for download. The Marsielle was made up until 1987, when Nick Trent passed away.

The Marsielle was created to fulfill a niche in between a midsize and full size sedan. Specifically, it was a midsize sedan designed to look and “feel” like a full-size, but have the price and dimensions of a midsize. This was done mainly in part by the design cues that were similar to full-size sedans at the time, and a standard interior of the time, rather than a bare-bones basic one.

Specs

Year: 1985
Manufacturer: VMC
Model Name: Marseille
Trims: EL (Economy luxury, base model), LL (Large Luxury, premium model) and GT (Grand Touring, sport model)
Engines: 3.6L (EL) or 4L (LL, GT) pushrod V8 with single (EL, LL) or twin (GT) multi-point EFI.
Horsepower: 132 (EL), 156 (LL), 220 (GT)
Suspension: Front DW, Rear Solid Axle Coil
0-60 mph: 7.51 seconds (GT)
Weight: 3100-3300 lbs

Gallery

Downloads:
VMC Marseille - EL.car (47.9 KB)
VMC Marseille - LL.car (49.1 KB)
VMC Marseille - GT (M).car (53.3 KB)

9 Likes