Weird, Bad and Ugly Cars

Then tell me please, where I’m wrong in saying that basically any well-built car with a 0.36cd, 1,000hp, and the Veyron’s tires, will go just as fast as a Veyron?

This is isolated to pure speed… because no car will have stability at that speed. The Veyron is aerodynamically stable to a very high speed, and there’s indeed some serious engineering there… but we weren’t talking about that. I’m talking about 0.36cd and 1,000hp.

I just gave you an example :confused:
The ST1 was “only” capable of 233MPH despite having 50 more horsepower than the Veyron SS.

2 Likes

Honestly… don’t know WTF happened to that thing. I also can’t find it’s coefficient of drag anywhere.

Speed = Power - Drag. That’s all there is to it; assuming gearing is proper.

The Veyron isn’t some mythical car that magically goes faster because more money was dumped into it. The same amount of power (to the wheels), with the same amount of drag, with proper gearing, will yield the same amount of speed. The car is irrelevant.

I actually kinda like the Veyron because its just so different in terms of looks from other hyper cars, Most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a Pagani or Koenigsegg, but pretty much everyone will recognize a veyron. And I feel it’s slightly misunderstood, it isn’t a track monster, and the only reason it’s so good in a straight line is so that it could have the highest top speed in a production car. The Veyron is NOT a performance car in my eyes, but rather a prestige bomb which is really the main purpose of a hypercar.

Jumping a bit off topic, but I’ve seen this 1st hand. Was playing FH3 in a Huyra BC online, and some guy said “hey look at that guy’s Koenigsegg” (I wasn’t chatting, so couldn’t correct him)

Yeah, and those were people who actually are into cars and would know the look of hypercars way better than most people, your average car illiterate idiot who might not even know that Lamborghini and Ferrari aren’t the only companies that make super or hypercars would STILL probably know of the Veyron and if not they would at least be able to tell that it is a hypercar, and the Veyron is instantly recognizable. compared to another extremely expensive prestige focused hypercar like the Lycan Hypersport, yeah it has crazy styling and what not but it could easily be mistaken as a Lamborghini lowering the prestige value because of said crazy styling.

2 Likes

…I said pretty much… didn’t say there weren’t still some idiots who can’t recognize it.

And no one needs an overweight overcomputerized Japanese soapbox of a supercar. If bare necessities dictate what we should have in a car, then we would all be driving Nissan Versas.

And if you view shit like that you’re not going to appreciate the engineering behind it. Sure 1000 hp is not a very impressive number, but what other current car has 16 cylinders and 4 turbochargers. If that alone doesn’t interest you and you view it as wasteful how can you call yourself a car enthusiast when you can’t even appreciate the engineering that goes into making it work?

But you get 2 cars with leftover money for decent daily driver, now that GTRs cost 160K new. Or you can buy a C6 Z06/911/Gen 3 Viper for under 40K ,modify it for some money and beat the GTR in every way. Just because a car can perform just as well as more expensive ones for less, doesn’t mean that car is inherently superior. Of course a car enthusiast like you would know that. Currently the C7 Z06 is barely over half the price of a Nismo GTR and is much much quicker almost everywhere, does that make the Nismo a worthless piece of shit?

Brute force being 300 hp down on the 918 and Mclaren? And don’t give me that but muh P1 and 918 are obvious road cars with no aero and no semi slick tires, the 918 came standard with Pilot Sport Cup 2 which has 180 treadwear that is lower than the ACR’s Kumho V720Rs at 200 and the P1’s Trofeo R is at 60. P1 makes 600 kg of downforce at 257 km/h while the ACR makes 800 kg at top speed of 170 mph. 918 makes significantly less with 298 kg at 300 km/h.

The ACR is fastest because of balance everywhere. End of story.

A Mazda RX-7 FD3S has 0.29 drag cd. Go ahead, tune the fuckin 13B to 1000 HP take it to Ehra Leissen and tell me how it goes. And suppose I do make it to 400+ km/h can I declare the RX-7 to be the fastest production car in the world? Can I get legalized and sold everywhere in the world? Can it keep it’s stability at 400 km/h?

In case you haven’t noticed, tire scrub is also a huge component in resistive forces. The Veyron has 245mm and 365mm width tires. That’s alot of contact patch and traction especially at 400 km/h.

This is seriously no different than some dumbass bringing in the AMS Alpha GT-R to a Veyron and Koenigsegg fight. Yeah it’s faster. No shit. Bonneville salt flat cars can whup a Mclaren F1 back in the 90s. Don’t make the F1’s claim any less legitimate or impressive.

The Veyron doesn’t have a stupid amount of power. It’s actually pretty tame all things considered. SS makes 1200 crank hp and there are plenty of Supras/LSX cars that make around that much. And power to weight wise, 540 hp per tonne is not really much considering the Hennesey Venom GT and Koenigsegg One:1 have almost double the ratio and not much more top speed…

Aerodynamic Efficiency is impressive engineering considering the car can lower it’s drag CD from 0.41 to 0.35 on the fly and with all the required air to cool the engine is actually not that bad of a value either.

Do you know the Veyron’s tires are run flats too? Not so easy making a bloody run flat tire meant to also be civilized for daily use and be capable of supporting the Veyron’s top speed and girth for 15 minutes. Sounds like impressive engineering to me.

5 Likes

I was only joking, but I agree.

The Veyron is a very unique and impressive car, and with a little bit more edge I think it could look pretty good (Unlike the EB110 which just looks awkward).

1 Like

I actually like its lack of edge, it seems like a classy refined hypercar that still makes everyone well aware of the fact that it IS a hyper car, its smooth and flowing in a way somewhat similar to the cars of the 40’s.

9 Likes

You know, with your arms and legs, if you were thrown off a 10 meter diving tower you’d be no different than an olympic athlete in the fact that you’d hit the water. Nothing really impressive about olympic athletes there.
That is basically what you’re saying, and to that extent you are correct, technically “any prius with 1000 hp will do 400 kph” And it does not for a second make the fact that the Veyron will do 400kph an engineering feat, something you’re trying to disagree with, even after pointing out that you know full well that the Veyron is one of the most stable high speed cars in the world. And now add to this fact new info that the shape of the car was decided WAY BEFORE the 400kph top speed was decided as a goal. Also the top speed was decided WAY BEFORE the car’s concept was ever near a wind tunnel.

This is, once again, as an analogy “If you were born fat and with your knees bending backwards your parents decided “OUR SON IS AN OLYMPIC SPRINTER!” and started training you while KEEPING YOU FAT and KNEE BACKWARDS, and SUCCEED” then sure, it’s very unimpressive. At this point I’ll come up and say “PFFT, this skinny kid from Africa who’s been given the same muscles as you got runs faster”. WELL FREAKING DUUUUH

What you’re banging on about (As every GTR Fanboy with no real understanding of cars) is “Purely based on speed bla bla, Nissan faster bla”
Once again, you have not the slightest idea on what sort of a challenge the Veyron was, so stop talking like you do.

We’ve checked, GTR can’t compete with actual supercars for less.

4 Likes

It can with a series of unofficial modifications for 82,000 on top of the 150K price for the ricer Nismo variant :laughing:

2 Likes

No, it can’t. And to put this simply, a supercar a level of a say Porsche 911 has a comfortable suspension. It also has a very high quality NOT RATTLING and not plastic interior. The sound system is fantastic in a Porsche. A Porshce 911 can make more than 5 launch controlled starts before needing a gearbox replacement. Nor does it remove your warranty if you decide to drive your fast car you know… fast. A 911 porsche is also quicker than a Nissan GT-R. It also costs just as much as the inferior Nismo GTR model.

Why are there fans of a Nissan?

Because the GTR is seen as some sort of legendary name plate. When it came out it had an $85,000 price tag so it was back then a genuinely great value for money (till it fries it’s transmission that is). It was seen as a Japanese comeback to the top tier supercar world.

Never mind that the GT-Rs of yesteryear despite being viewed as the “kings” of the japanese sports car was very very much threatened by Mitsubishi’s overweight pig, turbocharged econobox and Mazda’s beefed up Miata with almost 50 hp less

What they will never understand is that they’ve bought a slightly beefed up Nissan 370Z with all wheel drive, a significantly uglier body and a transmission prone to killing itself with the interior and build quality of an Altima.

1 Like

It is, no doubt about that. Back in the late 80s and early 90’s that name destroyed on racetracks. Starting 95 (or so) the wins became smaller and the difference to the road going car became bigger (Lots of reasons, mainly FIA), and the GTR name was no longer king. Godzilla ruled, R33 tried to, R34 failed and got Skyline GTR killed off. And then we got the R35 which somehow is Jesus Christ in car world.

Is that a genuinely impressive figure or are you taking a shot at the R35’s reliability? I honestly have no clue if that’s impressive or not.

I also think a lot of people are Skyline fans because of F&F and wouldn’t have even known about it otherwise. As you said, the R34 failed, but yet that’s still most peoples favorite skyline and many people will admit that its because of the F&F series

The JDM craze started a couple of years before F&F.

If you had to pin point it to one piece of media, Gran Turismo probably did a lot more than F&F when it comes to putting those JDM only cars on the map in North America.

1 Like

The R34 in particular however I feel is mainly loved due to F&F and as I’ve said I’ve heard people mention that it is their favorite car because of F&F Gran Turismo put JDM cars on the map, F&F turned them into icons.
edit: and while my introduction to JDM cars was Gran Turismo 3 I never was really a fan of any of them (other than the miata or AE86 as starter cars) because they genuinely didn’t seem impressive.