What's your current gaming setup?

Good point. I’m using the eMachines keyboard that came with the case and just a generic $10 usb mouse.

I apologize in advance if this is an annoying post. I can’t think of a much better place to ask this, and I wouldn’t want to create a new thread.

I’m doing some looking into laptops for myself for various reasons, and want to kinda gauge how well it would run Automation.

• 2.7 ghz - 3.6 ghz QUAD CORE AMD A12-9720P
  • 12 gb DDR4 Ram
  • 1 tb Hard Drive
  • 15.6" 1366x768 Widescreen Touch Display
  • AMD Radeon R7 Graphics w/512 Shader Cores

Looks good, I would probably worry about thermals, I used to play on a laptop and it got well over 90 degrees celsius (but it was a pretty outdated HW)

1 Like

It’s bad for normal use (due to the outdated CPU), let alone gaming. Conclusion: don’t.

CPU is outdated? :thinking: That part I thought was fine. Maybe not?

AMD A-Series APU (AMD’s term for CPU with intergrated graphics) are pretty outdated since Ryzen APUs are released. It’s perfomance is horribly slow, even newer Pentiums could beat them. Get at least an i5 U series + MX 150 or Ryzen 5 2500U for mobile gaming.

Alright, that info definitely helps. Thank you! :smiley:

Here is an almost exact list of my PC components (forgot the exact RAM used, but the same specs; and the keyboard is blue LED backlit instead of white). Ignore the prices on PCPartPicker, as when I bought most of this stuff 2.5 years ago, prices were very different.

Just because it’s been surpassed doesn’t mean it’s not viable. I know from personal experience that a phenom x6 1055t is better for games than an FX-4100

1 Like

But it’s still more powerfull than my e7400 Overclocked to 3,05Ghz (Motherboard limits)

First off, cpuboss.com

Huge database of processors and benchmark results so you can do 1:1 comparisons of CPUs. There is also a gpuboss.com which is the same thing for graphics cards.

The thing to pay attention to with gaming is cache size, particularly L1 and L2 cache. The larger the cache, the better. Cache is mini super fast RAM. Cache is to RAM as a scratchpad is to book; its extra super fast memory that is just the most important things you need to know for the immediate future. Large caches significantly improve performance because while RAM is fast compared to HDDs and even SSDs, its still slow compared to how fast the CPU actually runs.

The other most important thing for gaming CPUs is single thread performance. Games are often not heavily multithreaded because, well, they often can’t be effectively. Intel processors have traditionally focused more heavily in optimizations to improve single thread performance whereas AMD has focused more heavily on raw thread/core count. It’s why gamers have often favored Intel processors while server admins and Bitcoin miners have more often favored AMD. And also why Ryzen has been such a big deal - because it’s single thread performance is so much better than the A Series APUs. The point is that more cores =/= more performance by default.

Don’t. CPUBoss/GPUBoss is really unaccurate, and can be biased at sometimes.
Example 1
Example 2

Better comparisons can be found here, here and here (if you’re want to compare hardware inside a laptop).

1 Like

Wow! I feel so out of date.
I was running this on a HP Pavillion: AMD Athlon II X4 @3.0 GHz 8GB RAM with a Radeon HD 7570 1GB GPU
But driver conflict issues and my son’s love of Roblox, with no regard to scanning mods before he installs them, conspired to kill that setup.
I then ran it on a HP Elite 8100 SFF, with an Intel i5 3470 @3.2 GHz 8GB RAM, and no GPU (because LP GPUs are hard to find, and expensive)
Recently though, I’ve been taking time away, trying to gather the components to build my own rig. I haven’t really decided whether to go for Ryzen or Intel. On one hand, the Ryzen appears to be a better value, but on the other, the Intel seems like it’ll remain relevant for longer.

Don’t feel bad for you current setup, I’m still using an AMD Athlon with 3 odd cores, a 1GB GTX 460 and 4GB of RAM.

You could do well for 1080p gaming with a setup like this:

• i3 8100 (four physical cores)
  • Gigabyte B360M PRO-VH
  • 2x4 GB @2133 MHz DDR4 sticks
  • GTX 1060 (the 6GB model)
  • Corsair CX450M (you can go a little bit cheaper, but this one is semi-modular)
  • Any 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (preferably from WD)

That would set you back around $550.

1 Like

In fact, if you don’t plan to run games on high or ultra settings a GTX 1050 Ti/RX 570 can work as well, while saving more money in the process.

Just recently I have did a RAM upgrade, so I had to update my device specs now.

Currently mine is:

i7 3770k w/ Hyper 212 EVO
8GB RAM
GTX 1080Ti
1x 120GB SSD
1x 256GB SSD
1x 512GB SSD
1x 1TB 7.2k Hard Drive
Win 10 Pro
Thermaltake View 37
Corsair CX750M
Audio Technica AT2020i
3x AOC G2260VWQ6

Next upgrade:

Ryzen 7 2700
16GB RAM
X470 motherboard

1 Like

Actually upgraded GPU to MSI GTX 770 OC Afterburner edition

My upgraded system

3 Likes

Core i5-4440
24GB DDR3-2400, 24 is too much BTW, 16 is plenty for anyone building.
GeForce GTX760 in SLI, I have been running a RX560 4GB recently just to compare/contrast
120GB SSD (boot) + 2 500GB WD platter drives in RAID0 (games)
Win10 home
Custom built on a ASUS Z87-A in a Apex case.

I’m pushing 4K, results are mixed, but generally playable.

Planning a new build by the end of the year.
i5-9400F and RTX2060, still subject to change though.