Home | Wiki | Discord | Dev Stream | YouTube | Archived Forums | Contact

Your guilty car pleasure/confession

Agreed. My dad’s Land Rover has black leather seats and since he always forgets to put a sunshade in the windscreen, every time we go out to it (especially in summer) the dashcam has fallen out and the seats are burning hot. Much prefer the blue cloth in my Fiat.

That is the reason I would never want a convertible with leather. But in my Hyundai Sonata I don’t have that much of a problem with the leather seats. The only problem with those seats is the leather takes a lot more care to stay in a good condition compared to cloth seats. Even despite the previous owners (second owners, from 1998 to 2017) using an overlay, the leather got damaged on the drivers side. While the cloth seats in my Accent definitely have been used more extensively and don’t show any wear.

Oh and while I brought up the topic of convertibles: I would also never want a convertible with A/C. I see so many convertibles on perfect/hot days with the roof up, windows closed and blasting the aircon. Meanwhile I have a convertible without a folding roof and even for short trips on clouded days I take the time to take off the roof. Even though it costs me about 2 minutes to get the roof off and probably 3 minutes to put it back on. I really don’t get why you wouldn’t put the top down on every drive if it’s just pressing a button or folding the thing down.

Well I would definitely want A/C in any car when it’s something like 30°C/85°F outside.

As for the leather, I’ll see if my car will change my opinion on this with its seats :slight_smile:

I have a 2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor that I purchased for work. It’s tinted out and clean, so it looks like it could still be in service. I love watching people fly up behind me only to jump on the brakes and engage in the “is that actually a cop” game.

I also usually have more fun driving that CVPI than my Mustang.

Modern turbocharged engines feel dull, even in many performance models like the Focus ST. I really don’t care for the Focus’s driving dynamics despite it being the closest thing to a 3rd gen Mazdaspeed 3 there is (me of course being the proud owner of a 1st gen). One of the things that makes my 1st gen so fun is the feeling of boost just throwing you back in your seat on hard acceleration. Even in high gears at 80 on the highway, it pulls strong. I just don’t feel that with newer ones shy of maybe the RS (I’ve never driven one, but I’ve driven the ST). Even the Ecoboost Mustang feels anemic stock. Same for the VW GTI, but that car was tuned more for comfort than than the Speed3, which is definitely more on the firm side. I don’t mind, but I can see why others would.

I generally speaking agree with this sentiment. Definitely there is a problem with modern cars being too quick to have fun (Chris Harris once explained something along those lines why he loves his 2CV). For my daily commutes I used to have vastly more fun in my 120HP Mazda MX-5, than I ever had in the city in BMW M2, despite M2 being a much better car in almost every aspect and despite M2 being one of the less powerful modern sports cars. I just could push the car much longer, without having to let go after 3 seconds.

Having said that, I don’t agree that the best cars were in 1990s. For example the modern MX-5 ND, is arguably the best of all of the generations. I guess it’s only weak point is the electric power steering. Also a lot of people argue, that BMW M2 is the best BMW of all times. I would agree that on average, sport cars from 1990s were more enjoyable to drive. Too many cars are too ridiculously over powered/grippy. Most grew larger and fatter over time. But at the same time, the same trend making cars larger and larger created more room for new smaller “baby” sports cars from the same manufacturers (Boxster/M2/Polo GTI/Toyota GT86/…), that are filling the gap. If you look closely, you will find them. It’s hard, they are far between because of things like manual transmissions are dying, but it’s still possible. And the ones you find, will IMO be more enjoyable than even the best of cars from 1990s (% lack of the classic car nostalgia, which is of course a good enough reason on it’s own to love older cars).

A minor thing, but I can’t agree with that - there are such cars as A110, Supra, base 718, (or heck, even base 911 is less powerful than the top M2s) and a bit older Toyobaru and 370Z. And of course loads of less powerful coupes, like the normal 2-series, which might be counted as sports cars too.

Yes, I fully agree, there are even less powerful sports car there :slight_smile: That’s why I wrote “less powerful”. M2 is definitely below average, and it’s I think the least/one of the least powerful from the true 4 seater sport cars (911 is 2+2, base 2 series I wouldn’t call a sports car). But that depends how you would define a sports car etc… :man_shrugging:

I definitely disagree on the new ones being more fun than the old. That simple analog feeling is definitely much rarer now than then. Combine that with typically increasing weight wiping out much of the feeling of tossability for anything under $40k short of a Miata or Toyobaru (in the US at least). Which is a problem if you plan on hauling cargo or people on the regular. I like my Speed3 because it’s fast and fun without sacrificing practicality. I’ve packed the hatch completely multiple times and have even ratchet strapped large items to the roof. I lose so much usable cargo space going to a coupe that it’s not a viable (or preferable) option for me.

I. LOVE. HYUNDAI. ENTOURAGE.

I gotta agree. It’s more comfortable.