Your Perfect 3 car Garage?

If you actually ask me, I much rather have a single car for every use. I just want a car that can do anything I want.
And this is the car I choose for that role.

You may question why, but then the W213 E63 S is the perfect car for (nearly) any case IMO. sure, it’s not a perfect car, some may question it’s looks, and it barely can go anywhere outside your typical asphalt roads, but I don’t care anyway. It’s reasonably quick, luxurious and makes no compromises an every condition. Give me a sedan fully loaded in designo hyacinth red metallic, and AMG black rims, and I’ll be happy forever.

Oh wait, you said 3 cars? Obviously I’ll still keep the red E63S, but as a sucker to big, fast executives, here’s my other cars in list.

The second car in my 3-car list is the fabulous Commodore SS-V Redline, specifically in the VF-generation. The VF is IMO my favourite Commodore generation, and to be honest, as much as I love the HSVs I actually much rather have a SS-V Redline. The N/A LS engine feels all that right, the car drives good, and in this trim, I still have the goodies ranging from better brakes and steering to a DVD player and satnav. If I had to own one a I’ll paint it white, get a manual, and please give me a sedan like my E63S did.

The third car, of course, is another executive sedan. And no, this not another V8.

This, is the third car on my list. The Volvo S90, aka. the best-looking 2010’s executive sedan ever. The car, on it’s top spec, is fully equipped with all the goodies, and it will be a T8 Twin Engine, painted in deep black.
It’s a truth that not all executive cars should be fast, but this is no slouch either. 0-100 for 4.8 seconds, in a 4-pot turbo hybrid? Sign me up! Also, with it’s economical engine, I have no problem driving it without guilt. And yes, Volvo’s interiors are underrated, they have the nicest seats, and the dashboard is just, driver’s heaven.

(Now you ask me, why all of those are just new cars, where are all the classics? Ok, fine, this is just the first part of the 2-part series, I’ll get another list soon, with older vehicles. Stay tuned.)

3 Likes

Another Day, Another Update

Let’s get rolling. I’m going to give the list for my absolute dream garage that I swear I will own at least one of these.

Daily Driver: 2020 Toyota Supra A90

It is honestly one of the best looking and probably best underpinned small sports coupe in the past 10 years, by far. I will own one of these one day.

Weekend Rally: Late 90s Toyota Corsa/Tercel

They’re pretty common and quite cheap, and I reckon would be a pretty solid rally base.

Resto Project/Weekender Car: Late 1960s Fiat 850 Sport Coupe

Casual Dream Classic. I’d give a lot to own one of these.

7 Likes

Lately, I’ve been thinking of a suggestion for an all-JDM 3-car garage. There are so many choices that it’s tough to narrow the list to just three, but the following cars stand out for their individuality and impact on the wider automotive industry, as they always did - so here they are.

Daily Driver: Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior (XF10) - There are few better ways to get a comfortable, reliable long-distance cruiser at modest prices today. When it debuted, the LS400 was less temperamental than contemporary German and British equivalents in many respects, and was also more affordable to boot. A vastly superior dealership experience didn’t hurt, either. Sadly, the LS line got steadily more expensive with each redesign, while rival brands improved their offerings to make them more tempting, gradually eroding Lexus’ customer base over time - which means that my favorite LS is still the original.

1992_lexus_ls_1555248896a17a8cSAM_0911-620x398

Weekend Car: FD-series RX-7 - There were so many cars I could nominate for this spot, but the last and best of the RX-7s made my list by a whisker for its agility and razor-sharp focus. Yes, it’s more high-maintenance than, say, an A80 Supra Turbo or an R32/R33/R34 Skyline GT-R, but I think the extra hassle is worth it, for the FD RX-7 was the most uncompromising of all three generations, especially in run-out Bathurst R and Spirit R guises. And just look at it! There is no doubt that it was, still is, and always will be the best-looking Japanese car ever built - remarkable considering that it debuted in the early 1990s. (Mostly) stock examples are hard to find, though, but they are still worth seeking out.

1994_mazda_rx-7_1555522882986adDSC01258-620x407

Track Car: Any NA1/NA2 Honda/Acura NSX with a manual gearbox - It might be tempting to suggest a turbocharged monster for this slot, but I’m going back to natural aspiration with this one due to the more progressive power delivery it provides. And among Japanese performance cars, there was no greater proponent of NA power than the original NSX. This was an innovative car at launch, and one that forced European rivals to up their game. Of course, a Type-R would be even more focused, but they are much rarer (and were never officially sold outside Japan either) - so I’d take a regular NSX (preferably a pre-facelift manual example) and make some weight reductions, install some adjustable suspension and add a high-flow intake and exhaust - keeping it sensible, nothing too drastic - to make it just as hard-edged on a track (or on the road, for that matter).

We should be forever thankful for these three ground-breaking machines from the Far East; like their contemporaries, they were all born out of a unique set of economic circumstances in the late-80s that may never happen again.

And in today’s more environmentally aware automotive landscape, it might well be impossible for an RX-7 replacement to be as pure as the seminal FD - or be made at all, for that matter. Something similar has already happened with the NSX, which became an AWD turbo hybrid when it was resurrected, and had a long gestation period to boot (10 years?) - but we’re lucky that it got made; otherwise, we would have needed more convincing that Honda hadn’t lost its mojo completely. The originals, however, remain as great as they once were.