1979 Oil Crisis Challenge [Finished]

It is indeed required to have 5 full seats as stated in the rules, so no compact seats

On paper, your car should be superior to mine - but I plan to counter with a more responsive NA engine, devoid of turbo lag. And a turbo aluminum engine in 1979 may not be the most reliable option - although reliability is not graded here.

1979 Bakerfield Acre VS

1,400hp
9 grams
83 gigamiles/millilitre
$53 (australian)

4 Likes

I’ve tested the car and there is basically no turbo lag at all. Anyway, it would probably go kaboom like my 328 mph car after 5 minutes lol

Anyway, Tez should stroll this challange with his 53 AUD megammonster anyways

1 Like

1979 Mara Tovarish SX-1.3tk

After their surprise success with the Irena GTC Special scoring a 3rd place after the timed stages in the Gran Turismo 1979 Rally through all five countries of the world (and the subsequent relative sales success of the regular Irena SX-GTR79 special edition), Mara was keen to try a similar exercise for their stalwart diminutive Tovarish: to take it racing once more, this time in the 1980 round of the International Touring Car Trophy (ITCT).

On the market since the late 1950s, Tovarish sales have been in decline in Archana throughout the 1970s, having already run afoul of increased safety regulations in Fruinia and other countries in the early 1970s. Mara hoped that some racing exposure - and perhaps surprise successes - could help bolster the domestic sales figures.

Mara turned to the famous Fruinian tuner Michele Maggio, one of the pioneers of turbocharging. He was tasked with adding a turbo to the Tovarish’s venerable 1.3 litre engine. This turbo literally breathed new life into the engine whose ancestors had already powered military jeeps back in the 1940s.

The Mara works team painted the resulting Tovarish ITCT race car in the colours of the Archanan flag

To be eligible in the 1300cc class of the Trophy, Mara also needed to produce a homologation special in sufficient numbers. With regular tyres and engine components, a turbo tuned more for fuel economy and basic amenities such as a radio, the Tovarish SX-1.3tk (‘turbokompresor’) nevertheless boasted competent - if somewhat harsh - handling and more than twice the power compared to the regular Tovarish L-1.3. However, the SX-1.3tk also cost over 50% more.

The road-going Tovarish SX-1.3tk followed the 1970s paint scheme of the Irena SX - a bright orange with a black vinyl roof.

Unfortunately, turbocharging was banned in the ITCT after the first year of the Tovarish’s participation to prevent cost escalation. The cost-conscious Archanan car buying public was also less than impressed by the Tovarish’s racing exploits, leading to a negligible overall impact of the short lived SX-1.3tk on Tovarish sales figures.

6 Likes

1979 Armor Highland Turbo

It has around 108 hp, but it’s light. I was trying all week to make a 150 hp V6 car work, but the understeer was just too much to bear. Built this one tonight and right off the bat it’s 2 seconds faster in the Handling course.

7 Likes

Which track is the third track?

That one

3 Likes

'79 Wells Juliet GT-4

5 Likes

1979 Bazard Armada

70’s-80’s American budget sedan with a turbocharger strapped to it (and a few other tweaks) in a publicity stunt.

The one presented for this challenge has been provided with upgraded tires.

4 Likes

1979 Cambridge Mite HS

By 1975, the British company Cambridge found itself quite behind in the supermini category that was selling successfully throughout Europe. Unfortunately, they didn’t have the funds to engineer a whole new car, forcing them to use a shortened variant of their compact Kobold line. Christened the Mite, it was available with 1.0 and 1.3 litre engines and proved to be a least a profitable stop gap.
For 1979, they decided to produce a spicier model by using the world’s biggest shoehorn to stuff the 1.6L under the bonnet. Coupled with a slew of suspension enhancements, the Mite HS was born.
The OHV inline four makes 89 horsepower and 90 pound feet of torque. This allows the featherweight hatchback to reach naught to sixty in 9.1 seconds and a maximum top speed of 129 mph.

7 Likes

1979 BRAVERMAN ES 130

Crank up the Joy Division and listen to it blend in with the tire screeching and turbo noises, let the braverman win ha.

1 Like

5 Likes

Submissions are now closed! We have 25 competitors and only 1 disqualification, which has to be a record of some kind. At least for my competitions, anyway.

In 1 hour from now, I will stream the first race on my youtube channel, and I’ll link the stream here once I go live. The first race will take place at the Industrial Site Curved Race Circuit.

Meet the contenders:

Aikawa Hikari Ecotronic 2.0 by Yewnos100:

Viscacha 1.8 Twin Cam Club Sport by abg7:

Catan TurboBeta by Spazionauti:

Falcon Coupe 2 by Logoris:

WMC Lamia GSi 1300 turbo AeroNose by TallTrini Guy:

1979 Bakerfield Acre VS by Tez:

1979 Bazard Armada Surge by Edsel:

Sinistra Traville XLC 1600 by Madrias:

aZAZ 1220 EcoSport by Random41:

Economo McEconomoface by ImkaeR:

Longley Panama ST6 by Imprezzive 555:

Mara Tovarish SX 1.3tk by AndiD:

MAU Bojon V2 by LennoxV10:

Armor Highland Turbo by Armor Motors:

Cambridge Mite HS by Maverick74:

TMC Cayuga 2.3 Sprint by Luke T Da Bawss:

Wells Juliet GT-4 by DuceTheTruth:

Hennessissy Supahot by ErenWithPizza:

OCC Lardbucket V12 by Costco:

Braverman ES130 by Harmless:

GSI Sanguine TI by oppositelock:

Halpin Star mk1 HRE by AnimatedGaming12:

Sipper Mk1 by GenjeFT:

McCoy Hustler by Sedan57Chevy:

Delta Draco by MkMailler:

Disqualifications:
Serina A124 by Traviq_125:

Reason: over budget
I checked the car right after his submission and pinged him immediately to ask for resubmission, but never got a response.

7 Likes

The first race is about to start and can be watched live here: 1979 Oil Crisis Challenge Race 1 [Automation/BeamNG] - YouTube

The first race has concluded, and if you missed the stream you can rewatch it here: 1979 Oil Crisis Challenge Race 1 [Automation/BeamNG] - YouTube

With fuel economy, styling and the first race done, these are the current overall standings:

ImkaeR looks to be comfortably in the lead, but both the Armor and the Wells Juliet beat it on the first track so there is still potential for lots of movement in the top ranks.

The next race will be held on Saturday, 2nd of October at 6pm CEST.

8 Likes

Really surprised he thought my car looked Mercedes-ish, since that was nowhere near its inspiration material. Still, 5 points for styling is better than I expected for a car that I cobbled together with limited time and didn’t expect to be competitive whatsoever.

I might recommend to you to set direct limit steering at speed filters at 37 kph to 67 kph. it’s help less front brake lock, and improve cornering grip. (and stabilize at high speed.)

After analyze my car why that itsn’t in 10th or highter. I found out is that exit cornering is flaw. That car use open differential is indeed problem but that much worst that i though. Suspension is too high cause roll high and side of wheel ship too much.