1979 Oil Crisis Challenge [Finished]

I was actually struggling with getting the MPG with a lore-car. Sinistra didn’t have turbos until '88, so I had to work with what I had.

1 Like

nice to see my lore brand being used by somebody who is banned from here without permission

5 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. After having a talk with him and him admitting that he didn’t ask you for permission, I decided that rather than simply disqualifying him I should give the car a generic and unoriginal name as a form or punishment. The car will now simply be known as the OCC Costco V12. I re-exported the car to BeamNG already, so it will be called that on video as well, and on the spreadsheet too.

@missionsystem actually, I found a different and more fitting name for it when I thought of this episode of old Top Gear: Old Top Gear 1998 - Coupes - YouTube

7 Likes

Race #2 is about to start! You can watch live here: 1979 Oil Crisis Challenge Race 2 [Automation/BeamNG] - YouTube

1 Like

The second race is over and we had an unexpected winner, I think that’s fair to say! The first little bit had technical issues but I was able to resolve them, the rest should be fine. Although I forgot to place the chat overlay on top of the game after the old Top Gear clip so no more stream chat in the video from that point on :confused: my mistake, I fixed it after the stream so it’ll be back for the next one.

Here’s the VOD for those who missed it: 1979 Oil Crisis Challenge Race 2 [Automation/BeamNG] - YouTube

And these are the current standings before the final race:

With another solid 2nd place, the Armor is now leading overall, just 1 point ahead of the Economo. I think the overall winner is gonna be one of these two, since the Automation Handling Circuit is kind of similar to the Industrial Site track that we had previously with it being very tight and technical, and they have a reasonably big lead over the rest of the field. But it’s not over until it’s over!

7 Likes

It was a lot of fun being there for the live show. I don’t normally watch livestreams (for a reason, seeing as I had to use the bathroom and missed a whole lot of interesting content), but I might have to keep an eye out for more of these challenges in the future.

Watching the races is as much, if not more, fun than building the car itself.

4 Likes

The 3rd and final race is about to begin! You can watch it live here: 1979 Oil Crisis Challenge Race 3 [Automation/BeamNG] - YouTube

1 Like

@GassTiresandOil you won overall, good job!!

The 3rd and final race is over! For those who missed it, you can rewatch it here: 1979 Oil Crisis Challenge Race 3 [Automation/BeamNG] - YouTube

Now we’ve had 3 different winners on the 3 tracks, another car that took 10 points for styling and yet another car that was the most economical. But the most consistent out of all of them was the Armor Highland Turbo, coming 2nd in all 3 races which ended up giving it the overall win! Here are the final standings:

Big kudos also to the Economo, it was by far the most economical car in the competition but still managed to be very competitive in the races, finishing in 2nd overall.

3rd place is a tie between the Bakerfield and the Hennesissy Supahot, with 5th place going to the Wells Juliet.

Well done to the top finishers, especially to @GassTiresandOil for winning. Thanks to everyone who participated, it’s been a blast!

8 Likes

How the heck can my 58 horsepower, 1.6 liter, three-cylinder powered Sinistra not actually finish last on that track? I mean, I understand that handling matters more on the Automation Handling Circuit, but surely I didn’t have it tuned that well. I clicked ‘Normal’ and tweaked the dampers until the game stopped whining that my front/rear dampers are too hard.

1 Like

Again, far from the best, but at least I did better this time around thanks to a good styling score (although my actual track performance left something to be desired). I wonder what the next round will be about?

From what I am starting to understand about this game, when it comes to actually racing/driving in Beam, Automation stats don’t mean SH**.

The only time they matter is for the challenges HERE were the cars aren’t even driven, they only go off of stats.

This is true for the most part. Automation is driven by stats, BeamNG driving is totally different. I liked this challenge a lot, especially since it was judged by both Automation stats (mpg) and driving. Thanks @TheTom!

1 Like