2018 Honda Vario 150 "Road Sofa" scooter

Out with the old, and in with the “new”!

The late 2012 Suzuki Satria F150

I’ve finally sold my Suzuki Satria FU and bought a scooter in its place. But why sell it, though? Wasn’t I madly in love with the bike?

Well yes, but there are several reasons why I can’t keep it around any longer:

• It’s carbureted, which means mediocre gas mileage for 2022 standards (30 km/L / 70 mpg / 3.3L/100km average)
  • Its tiny 4L gas tank means I have to frequently stop for gas when going on long trips
  • A tiny seat with thin cushion means it’s not comfortable for pillion passenger
  • General fatigue due to stiff clutch, stiff throttle and poor riding ergonomics
  • Power at the low-end RPM range is horrid, forcing me to clutch-rev almost constantly in traffic
  • Most Suzuki bike dealerships in my city have closed down due to poor sales, which means no more Suzuki authorized service centers
  • Thanks to that, the average market value for all Suzuki bikes keeps falling deeper by the month :sob:

So here is my new (used) scooter. It’s a one-owner, 28.000 km 2018 Honda Vario 150 (also known as Honda Click 150i), an upsized version of the very successful Vario 125. These bikes are sold primarily in South East Asia (and maybe some other Asian countries I’m not aware of).

For a fraction of the price of upclass scooters like the Honda PCX and Yamaha NMax, this Vario has features such as keyless ignition, digital MID, DRL and fully-LED lights, while also not being as wide as the two. It has an ample storage under the seat that can fit a small helmet too. All it needs now is a charger outlet to make it the perfect city vehicle. And hot damn does it sip. I've ridden it back and forth between home and work for a week now and only today the fuel gauge is down by one bar. No wonder scooters like this rack up so much distance in a short year.

It doesn’t come without its own drawbacks, though. For example:

1. It’s CVT-driven, meaning delayed throttle and gauging how fast I’m going based on engine sound alone is hard.
  2. It’s got a rattly body despite being only 4 years old (Honda bikes are infamous for using thin, crappy plastic on their body panels).
  3. It only comes with one mirror, one key fob, and no barcode tag to duplicate the fob (the original owner lost them).

I have already ordered parts to remedy 2 and 3 so we’re gucci. They’re not cheap but I love this bike too much already.

7 Likes

Yes, the Honda Vario 125 is a very, very good scooter. If you can still ignore the cheap plastic, the rattling of the hull is really quite a significant drawback.
How would you fix it?

My first and cheapest option is applying foam tape under the loose panels, but if that is too much of a hassle then panel removal/replacement is my second option :joy:

Finally managed to reach 200+ km on a single tank, lessgo

2 Likes

Excuse me? 36 Km/L?

2 Likes

No, 52 km/L. The tank capacity is ~4-5 litres.

3 Likes

I found 5.5L, but, that’s even more impressive.

1 Like

Minor update: Bought a bunch of accessories. These include a pair of big, ugly (but infinitely more functional) mirrors…

And also new cover to protect the bike from outside weather.

1 Like

I agree, you can extract endless important information from your scooter’s rear-view mirrors.

2 Likes

I bought and installed a new light switch.

Before:

After:

Unlike the old one, this new switch has a pass beam switch.

And for an added bonus: The rattling’s gone! Apparently it’s all caused by loose screws and bolts vibrating inside the plastic body, so I fastened them all and voila! No more rattling.

The new light switch is better and prettier! That’s exactly what I thought so, you should have revised the corps, I think the screws won’t turn away during the ride because there are no drive shaft parts on them, in general, they is holding the static parts.

Congratulations! You have can able to improved and enhanced your scooter! I am glad.

2 Likes

In monsoon season, where heavy rain leads to reduced visibility, the pass beam switch can be a godsend.

2 Likes

Took the scooter for a morning jog up a mountain yesterday. The view was pretty nice. I might make it a monthly habit.

1 Like

Another trip to the mountain because I found a scenic spot with a much better panoramic view than the last one.

Other photos:

I swear they look better in person
3 Likes

It’s been over 11 months since I bought this scooter, and the one gripe I have of it has stood out prominently: The seat is so hard it’s hurting my tailbone after 30 minutes! For a bit of background, most motorbikes sold in Indonesia are equipped with crappy seat foam that hardens after 5 years of use. This Vario is no exception. So, to celebrate its (early) first anniversary, I took the scooter to a seat upholsterer to replace its seat cushion and reupholster it since the old cushion is nearing 5 years old anyway.

:arrow_up: The last owner might have owned a cat, because look at these claw-sized holes on the old upholstery.

:arrow_up: Originally I was aiming for a “touring-style” or “European-style” seats sold online, but the upholsterer advised against those kinds of seats because they are shaped more for the aesthetics than being actually functional. I decided to trust the guy. At least with him I can custom-shape the seat to fulfill my butt’s specifications.

The new seat is shaped like the stock seat, but layered with soft latex foam. The end result is a seat that is softer, bouncier, and most significantly, thicker by 5 centimeters. What this means is that I now sit taller than before and both my feet have to ballerina tip-toe when it stops. It’s worth the comfort trade-off though.

To field test the comfort of this new seat, I took the scooter on a 6-hour, 210 km round-trip to the paddy terraces up on a mountain to the northeast. The results? The seat is so wide and absorbs vibrations and potholes like a champ. My butt no longer complains too. It passed with flying colors! Yay!

But now that the tailbone problem has been resolved, other ergonomics issues with the scooter rise to prominence: handlebar position being too low and feet position being in an awkwardly uncomfortable position. I already ordered a solution for them though, so expect update in a couple weeks.

6 Likes

PRAISE BE SHE IS FINALLY DONE

I am officially broke for the rest of the year

• Handlebar, its mount, and weights are taken from Honda PCX 160
  • Steering hub is taken from Honda Beat Street, grinded off a few millimeters so I can lock the handlebar
  • The new top cover is custom-made from fiberglass, and houses the MID, a 12V lighter, and holes for the windshield and mirrors
  • 12V lighter that is allegedly “plug and play” but in reality I still need to add cables to properly connect it to the battery
  • Myriads of length adjustments to the cables and hoses because the new handlebar is way taller than the stock handlebar
  • Windshield and its adjustable mount taken from Yamaha Lexi (originally wanted to go with Yamaha Nmax windshield but it was too wide)
  • Highway footstep so I can ride with legs extended forward
  • Rubber mat to cover the ugly metal bit and my shoddy screwholes

Almost everything in this build (aside from the custom top cover) is not plug and play
In total I spent nearly $200 for parts and installation
The throttle is super heavy due to the longer cables and the rear brake is so vague to the point that it’s nearly nonfunctional thanks to the Combi-brake System being disabled, but damn the riding comfort from a combination of the handlebar, front footsteps and softer seat far outweighs the drawbacks
UPDATE: I thought the windshield would block the wind rushing through my helmet, but in reality it only blocks the wind from the shoulder down… I still hear wind noise :joy:

In the meantime, have some nature pictures from my last motorcycling trip. Thanks for visiting my thread.
and come visit Indonesia some time

Next on the list:
  • Steering hub cover for a neater aesthetics
  • Hazard light switch, also from PCX
  • Wheel and body repaint
  • Larger front brake disc
  • Front mudguard that is closer to the front tire
  • Yellow fog lights
  • Side bags
  • Full debadge for that clean sleeper look
  • Wider tyres, both front and rear
  • Longer engine mount so the bike has longer wheelbase than stock
  • Full CVT rebuild so it has an easier time on inclines
  • Smartphone holder
  • Mf’ing genuine Öhlins springs that will set me back another $500
  • Mmmmmmmaybe an anti-theft device?
7 Likes

I must say that seeing some genuine craftmanship done by people taking pride in their work is lovely to see. Such shops are almost gone in western Europe today.

2 Likes

Thanks! Credits to the workshop in my hometown that is willing to do all this custom work and fab. They’re awesome people.

2 Likes

Another week, another trip to nature. This time, however, the road was rocky and gravely for 20 kilometers straight. 0/10 should have brought a dirt bike here instead.

3 Likes

Pranked by mother nature.
Scooter got caught in a flood and it killed the engine and electricity.
There goes this month’s paycheck :smiling_face_with_tear: