2022 Automation Official Design Competition (Category J Results UP!)

Couldn’t the woodgrain texture be implemented similar to how the grille mesh works? Where it’s an underlying tiled image that doesn’t get warped as a fixture is changed shape, but rather it remains as a static image that gets cut off where the fixture edges are?

4 Likes

If you set “World Space Textures” option to be turned on, it shouldn’t deform according to fixture shape or size

4 Likes

Why did my car not go into the finalist?, whas it the pick or how closed it looks to the GTA 5 Regina?

1 Like

Category D Finalist Judging

Roundtable Discussion

Pre-Judging Scores

4 Likes

In this case, I’d say it’s probably mostly the picture; it’s a fun action shot, but it really doesn’t focus on the design of the car all that well. The car itself is fine - a bit plain perhaps - but a better, more singularly focused photograph would have helped you a lot here!

ok, thank you very much for the feedback
I worked very hard on the details, like the cargo on the roof that has a safe with gold bars in it and one of my best interiors, so it may had been better if I would had taken photos that showed that more

4 Likes

I submitted my car for Category D and was wondering what made my car not reach finalists, so I could improve in the future. Thanks!

3 Likes

Maybe the judges thought that the long wheelbase may have not suited the 2 door SUV? Not my opinion, but more of what the judges may have thought of it.

It looks really good in my book, especially the side. It looks pretty 80’s which is cool. Maybe some things about the photo itself feel unbalanced and a little off. That said, I still think this looks pretty darn good.

2 Likes

The photo quality really didn’t help you here, to be honest. Your composure is, as mentioned by Amos, a bit off, especially how the light plays off the car. Also, I don’t particularly care for the headlights and the front grille treatment, they feel a bit too dainty with all the very thin lines. A vehicle like this is generally designed to look tough (and be tough), and the grille should be quite a bit more substantial.

It’s a great start, that with some more work and attention to detail would be really quite excellent!

1 Like

I see what you mean, especially on the photo side of things. Thanks!

2 Likes

Category E Finals

Category E Roundtable

Category E Pre-Judging Scores

5 Likes

Confusing category to say the least, considering the first car even mentioned in the finalist video “doesn’t fit the brief”, the 2nd place car “Doesn’t fit the brief”, and another car had you guys questioning if it is a racecar. What’s the point of the brief if you guys, the judges, also ignore it? Having things slightly out - but still fits, that is fair, but this isn’t slightly out. The example mentioned to me was the offroader video above- except that is in the year range and goes offroad at the very least? So not exactly an equal comparison. Sounds like one could have submitted a 2020 LMP car and as long as it had a good enough photo would have made it into the finals.

8 Likes

The issue with this category was that it was incredibly broad in terms of its scope, which means it invited a lot of entries that might have been further out of the scope than other categories. Despite that, the entries that did make it in, and were perhaps out of the scope were not unbelievably so.

Something to take note of, is that cars that were meticulous replicas of real-life cars - as yours was - got hit very hard in this category especially. It was the case of Shinyodd’s car, basically being a complete replica of a Nissan Silvia Super Silhouette car. It was fantastically done inside and out, with no detail overlooked, and yet it only finished in fifth place, because it got knocked down for being so close to the real thing.

The same thing happened to your car, being - from the pre-judging images - a down-to-the-nuts replica of an Audi Quattro. The submitted image didn’t particularly help either in terms of quality.

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is, we should have had a blatant disregard for the rules rather than be inspired by real life examples. Especially with how you rated a group C car lower for… looking like a group C car. Understood, I’ll make a note of that next time, thanks for the clarification. I also didn’t ask why my car was out but it makes sense.

12 Likes

Hmmm, feels weird. Dunno why, but for me RiftHunter4’s car in race car category reminds me heavily of R390 GT1 and Toyota GT-One cars which are from '97 - '99. Could be pure my thought tho, i would like to hear the author inspiration cars he picked when designing his own car, maybe there are other Road Legal Top cars i forgot or didn’t know existed. After all i dig this design as Road Special car, but feel kinda hard to put into 1982, still, i could be turbo wrong about that :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t say there was a blatant disregard for the rules here by anyone.

I will be the first to admit that this submission and judging format has had its shortcomings - nearly all of which already have been solved for the next design challenge. I also feel that you’re perhaps basing your opinion of what we thought of the finalists without actually having the full picture - watch the Roundtable video and you’ll see a lot more discussion of what went into our scoring.

2 Likes

It does often seem that in many competitions they have a very specific idea in mind of what the car should be, they give broad guidelines when in reality I think they would be better served giving specific ones, as in deciding on one particular decade, and cars from X country, maybe they would consider it overly narrow but it would certainly help give them the kind of entries they desire.

I’m a bit confused on why a road car which it is said on the video that it “doesn’t fit the brief” end up in 2nd position, when I was making mine I asked on the discord if we should make a livery and you said that it was very advised to make one because we were suposed to make race cars. It end up with 2 Road legal/concept but not racecar in the finals.
I know that photos make a lot and these two cars looks nut but, eeeeh this wasn’t the brief was it?

7 Likes

I think that often, as you said, an excellent photo does count for quite a lot in these competitions. Some cars may come with an excellent photo, but fall apart on closer examination of the details, but still make it to finals. So I think it’s important not to over-estimate excellent car design while underestimating the importance of an equally excellent photo shoot. Both are important, and it does no good to put 10 hours into designing a car and then only 10 minutes into a photoshoot, if that makes sense. That’s just my observation listening to roundtable talks :slight_smile:

1 Like