2022 Automation Official Design Competition (Category J Results UP!)

@MrChips Hypothetically, if I was to enter a truck with a seperate trailer (seperate .car files for each so I can get an accurate shot with the trailer turned) for Category H, would the trailer and cab be judged seperately, or as a whole unit?

Likewise, if I was to give it a complimenting car like a Hot Wheels Super Rigs/Truckin’ Transporter?

3 Likes

Unfortunately that would not be possible for Category H. One .car file per entry.

However, a picture of a truck and trailer would be perfectly acceptable in Category X, as all you are doing is submitting a picture!

say, i want to show off the inner workings of a creation i made.

would it be legal to use a trim of the same car to make specific areas invisible (for example, everything that is part of the exterior shell to create just the chassis with the powertrain in it) or are we limited to what the photoscene visibility control provides?

Not really sure what you’re looking for here? Are you talking about using a different trim of your car for a photoscene than the one you’re submitting, or sending in two .car files, one with all the internals and one for exterior judging?

Because if you’re talking about the latter, you can only submit one .car file per entry, so that’s out.

the car sent will contain both internal and externals as one shell

a second .car would have fixture materials changed and the body disabled to allow sight into the inner workings of the vehicle

that second .car would only appear on the picture for the purposes of visualization and not be entered

If you want to, sure, but I don’t see the practical purpose of that for this challenge.

1 Like

Hello, might be a dumb question but i just want to be sure. There should be only one photo per car , right? So basically one photo per entery

2 Likes

That’s correct, yes.

1 Like

Quick question, for the picture submitted, could you say have 2 of the same car in the picture (maybe slightly differing in color but all in all the same car) with one .car file so that you can try to show off both sides of the car?

2 Likes

Yep, that’s absolutely allowed!

Can I just ask, how important will the photo be in the vehicle’s judgement? I only ask as I struggle to get a good photo because I get utterly abysmal performance in almost all the photo scenes. Literally less than 1fps in most. I also can’t use ray-tracing in any scenes other than the mirror scenes as my GPU runs out of memory.

Well, I imagine a nice looking photo would certainly help your entry stand out better and improve your chances of doing well in this challenge. But luckily the rules do state that you are allowed to have someone else take a photo of your car for you. So if you were to ask nicely, I’m certain someone either here on the forums or the official discord server would be more than happy to help out in that regard.

2 Likes

It is extremely important! The quality of your photo will have a direct impact on your car making it out of the pre-judging phase, which is done entirely based on the submitted photos.

And yes, if you don’t have the technical means, or aren’t familiar with photography, there are many community members both here and on the Discord server who would be more than happy to help you!

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve got some decent hardware so if you need help with making photos - dm me, we can figure something out.

@MrChips do I understand correctly that we are allowed to submit cars that were created long before competition was announced? I’ve got at least one that fits perfectly for a certain category and was created around 2 months ago.

3 Likes

You don’t have to make a new car specifically for this challenge; if you have something done already that fits a category and you think is good enough, by all means submit it!

3 Likes

Okay, i have few dumb questions…

• Does category “F” is pure exclusive with coupe and sedans cars or we can also use Beans (kei cars with sporty style like Mazda AZ-1, Suzuki cappuccino or Eunos Roadster) as sporty alternatives (of course with some tuned up hearts by factory)?
  • Does category “A” allows to have 2 seated cars with more room for luggage a pass as “people’s car”? Most examples are seen with 4 seats equipped cars…
  • Does category “H” allows any form of movies inspired vehicle styles or it would be a bit flimsy with copyright bs due to modern world we live in?

I just want to be ultra sure if i’m not gonna waste time doing something that will be thrown away instantly.

Category F is primarily coupes and sedans; an AZ-1 could fit right in with that group, but the other examples you gave less so. The Eunos Roadster is just a Miata/MX-5 by another name; if you were to do a hardtop version of that, it’d fit too.

Basically all people’s cars were four seaters at least, so you’d be taking a bit of a risk sending in a car with a 2-seat interior designed in.

In Category H, if the entry is inspired by a movie, TV show, etc, that’s perfectly alright, but if its a blatant rip-off it will not be.

2 Likes

Is the screenshot size specified a minimum or one that must be strictly adhered to? I’m wondering if 4K screenshots in the same aspect ratio would be allowed.

2 Likes

Would it be an issue if we submitted some of our screen shots on here for other competitors to see? obviously submissions need to be made via the submission page, but just for our and our competitors curiosity

1 Like

Strictly adhered to; we allowed 4K screenshots in the Face of the Update Challenge and it caused the pre-judging app to choke on the image sizes.

By all means, post away in here!