A couple of questions concerning the "Engine Sharing Forum"

I have a couple of questions concerning the “Engine Sharing Forum” which are

1: Could my “Real-Life Engine Recreations” tread replace gt1cooper’s “Engine Recreation Thread” in the announcements box?
and
2: If and when a new update comes and changes the way engines perform or worse, makes now current ones incompatible, could I start a new thread on the subject just for then current build engine recreations (and have it be the one in the announcements box)?

The reason for question 1 is despite my engine recreation thread being less than a third of the age of gt1cooper’s (His was started 9 months and 1 day ago, Mine 2 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ago.), it’s only one post and 600 odd views (Not so much when considering how combined our threads have 5,000+ views.) behind and continuing to catch up in both counts quickly.

As for question 2 I believe it will be important to differentiate recreations in outdated builds from the then up to date ones, especially since some people may get mad if they download an engine only to find it has different stats or worse yet not work at all.

1: Well, if there was already an engine recreation thread in existence, why did you create one in the first place? Unless you agree something with GT1Cooper which results in one of the threads being deleted, then I think GT1Cooper’s thread should stay where it is, as people will know that thread from previously seeing it in the announcements box. Essentially they are the same thread, so I think it’s best to keep things as they are to minimise confusion.

2: Engines pretty much never become incompatible, their stats are just updated with the new balance calculations of certain stats after each update, so I don’t think it’s necessary to keep making new threads for every build. And on the off chance that there’s an update which does render previous engines unusable, then I think it should be up to the posters to remove the download of their engine.

[quote=“Pleb”]1: Well, if there was already an engine recreation thread in existence, why did you create one in the first place? Unless you agree something with GT1Cooper which results in one of the threads being deleted, then I think GT1Cooper’s thread should stay where it is, as people will know that thread from previously seeing it in the announcements box. Essentially they are the same thread, so I think it’s best to keep things as they are to minimise confusion.

2: Engines pretty much never become incompatible, their stats are just updated with the new balance calculations of certain stats after each update, so I don’t think it’s necessary to keep making new threads for every build. And on the off chance that there’s an update which does render previous engines unusable, then I think it should be up to the posters to remove the download of their engine.[/quote]

1: Well it depends on which “me” you ask as two people use this account, the one typing this would say because we wanted a thread for just his engine recreations as he knew he had made over 100 of them while the other who was the one who actually created the thread would say because he wasn’t aware of the other one. And I don’t know why I’d have to work it out with gt1cooper (Which is how his username is actually spelt BTW.) since he’s not an Administrator or a Global Moderator, willing to explain? And I personally think your “to minimise confusion” excuse is a pathetic one considering how my thread is the more active popular one which will surpass gt1cooper’s in both posts and views before year’s end if things keep going the way they are.

2: I have personally experienced at least two updates that have made then previous build engines incompatible in the less than I year I’ve been playing the game, and I wasn’t suggesting for every build, just the major ones that make previous build engines incompatible/recreations outdated. However I suppose your post deletion idea could work despite how much of a pain the in the rear that would be.

I’m just going to have to stop you right there :smiley:

Personally I’ve never had an engine become incompatible, but after every major update my platforms became unusable, so I assumed engines were compatible in every update.

Well, I guess it would also be viable to make a new thread only when engines become incompatible, what you do with your posts is up to you.

As for the “which me” thing. If one of you was unaware of gt1cooper’s (super sorry for the wrong capitalisation!) thread, then why did you just ask for your recreation thread to replace his thread? And, if his thread is stickied, then yeah you would have to see if he is okay with allowing his thread to be replaced by yours. Although he is not a moderator, you can’t ask a moderator to replace his thread with yours without first getting gt1cooper’s permission.

[quote=“Corvette6317”]I have a couple of questions concerning the “Engine Sharing Forum” which are

1: Could my “Real-Life Engine Recreations” tread replace gt1cooper’s “Engine Recreation Thread” in the announcements box?
and
2: If and when a new update comes and changes the way engines perform or worse, makes now current ones incompatible, could I start a new thread on the subject just for then current build engine recreations (and have it be the one in the announcements box)?

The reason for question 1 is despite my engine recreation thread being less than a third of the age of gt1cooper’s (His was started 9 months and 1 day ago, Mine 2 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ago.), it’s only one post and 600 odd views (Not so much when considering how combined our threads have 5,000+ views.) behind and continuing to catch up in both counts quickly.

As for question 2 I believe it will be important to differentiate recreations in outdated builds from the then up to date ones, especially since some people may get mad if they download an engine only to find it has different stats or worse yet not work at all.[/quote]

TIme for a Moderator here.

1: Why should your thread replace the thread in the announcement box? The one up there is a general one - for everyone here. Just post your recreations there. It does not matter how old his or how you one yours is. Its a sticky post. Anyone can post there.

2: With every updates there are some changes - its totally normal that engines get incompatible. But for the love of god - just update your old posts with a simple word “OUTDATED” instead of opening a new thread for every single build. The next builds will not change huge things for the engines anymore - just small things.

I’m going to agree with Pleb that changing the thread makes little sense. It’s not a popularity contest, everything Engine sharing wise is under this forum anyway. gt1cooper’s thread was put there because it was first, and the idea was to make it easier to get to. 29 of the posts in your thread are from you, the other is a general thread. That’s all.

Also, Pleb’s “excuse” is not a pathetic one, if anything it would make more sense to merge the threads. gt1cooper did point out early on in your thread that this one already existed, so really stuff could have been kept in the one thread and then this wouldn’t be happening. He also meant that as gt1cooper was the owner of the current thread if you like, that it would be worth speaking to him before anyone decides to unpin it from the top. That way, everyone ends happy.

As an aside, engine incompatibility is fairly rare, but shouldn’t be unexpected. It’s usually to avoid the exact problem you mention of people suddenly seeing all their engines doing different things after a balance update, a warning you also see in-game when trying to use an old engine anyway.

Hope this helps.

[size=85]EDIT: A wild set of posts explaining the same point appeared![/size]

[quote=“Pleb”]Personally I’ve never had an engine become incompatible, but after every major update my platforms became unusable, so I assumed engines were compatible in every update.

Well, I guess it would also be viable to make a new thread only when engines become incompatible, what you do with your posts is up to you.

As for the “which me” thing. If one of you was unaware of gt1cooper’s (super sorry for the wrong capitalisation!) thread, then why did you just ask for your recreation thread to replace his thread? And, if his thread is stickied, then yeah you would have to see if he is okay with allowing his thread to be replaced by yours. Although he is not a moderator, you can’t ask a moderator to replace his thread with yours without first getting gt1cooper’s permission.[/quote]

What does it matter if the other person was unaware of gt1cooper’s thread?! I was, it was seeing gt1cooper’s thread that made me want to start my own! Back then the other person was the boss who called all the shots on this profile, so I asked him if he could start a thread so I could post my recreations on it and he do so. Also, are you suggesting gt1cooper put his thread up in the announcement’s box himself? How do you know he didn’t simply asked a moderator and the moderator agreed? Or that a moderator saw his thread and put it up there thinking it would become a popular thread in the future? For goodness sake, unless if you actually know if gt1cooper’s permission is required I believe you should stop bringing it up. :unamused:

Also I don’t think it’s all that fair on people to have to delete their posts for no fault of their own, just saying.

What I meant was it would be good if you talked to him to at least let him know that you want to run a recreation thread to replace his. At least then he will know why his thread would be unpinned by a moderator.

Also, maybe you could have made a profile of your own so that you didn’t have some other guy calling the shots? Might be a good idea :stuck_out_tongue:

gt1cooper just started a engine recreation thread. Other people posted in it too - then we (the moderators) decided to put it up as an Announcement so other people can use it too, instead of cluttering the subforum up with a bazillion recreation threads.
I don’t see why YOU need his permission to post stuff there… just post it and be happy about it. Its not like gt1cooper owns the thread, if you would have looked in the last two pages you can see that other people posted in there too as that is the general Engine Recreation Thread :wink:
We can just unsticky his and stick on yours - but I really don’t see the point in it. I also can just go and merge both threads into one - which will be the easiest way to go and will probably done as BOTH threads basically do the same thing.

[quote]TIme for a Moderator here.

1: Why should your thread replace the thread in the announcement box? The one up there is a general one - for everyone here. Just post your recreations there. It does not matter how old his or how you one yours is. Its a sticky post. Anyone can post there.

2: With every updates there are some changes - its totally normal that engines get incompatible. But for the love of god - just update your old posts with a simple word “OUTDATED” instead of opening a new thread for every single build. The next builds will not change huge things for the engines anymore - just small things.
[/quote]

1: Well both me and the other user of this account thought it was only fair that mine should replace gt1cooper’s if mine surpasses his in both posts and views, if you disagree then that’s fine! I was only asking a question and it appears you’ve answered it. Honestly, I never expected my thread to get so many views or for other people to post their recreations on it, but they did anyway and thought I’d ask the question since my thread was much more active and reeling in the other so quickly.

2: I guess that would be the best course of action, nuff said.

[quote]I’m going to agree with Pleb that changing the thread makes little sense. It’s not a popularity contest, everything Engine sharing wise is under this forum anyway. gt1cooper’s thread was put there because it was first, and the idea was to make it easier to get to. 29 of the posts in your thread are from you, the other is a general thread. That’s all.

Also, Pleb’s “excuse” is not a pathetic one, if anything it would make more sense to merge the threads. gt1cooper did point out early on in your thread that this one already existed, so really stuff could have been kept in the one thread and then this wouldn’t be happening. He also meant that as gt1cooper was the owner of the current thread if you like, that it would be worth speaking to him before anyone decides to unpin it from the top. That way, everyone ends happy.

As an aside, engine incompatibility is fairly rare, but shouldn’t be unexpected. It’s usually to avoid the exact problem you mention of people suddenly seeing all their engines doing different things after a balance update, a warning you also see in-game when trying to use an old engine anyway.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

My thread is also a general thread, I intended it to just be mine but I never said other people couldn’t upload to mine and sure enough other people did. It may not be a popularity contest but as you just said his was put there to make it easier to get to, well, mine is currently the more active and popular one so why shouldn’t it be put up there to make it easier to get to? Got an answer for that?

While I certainly still believe Pleb’s excuse was a pathetic one I must admit merging the two threads would make a lot of sense, even though perhaps selfishly I’m personally proud of my thread and would prefer it keep it’s individuality. And while Pleb probably meant what you said it’s certainly not what he actually said.

I see a serious flaw in that last part, do you seriously believe your own words? The admittedly fairly rare updates that change engine performance or make previous ones incompatible are to make the engines more realistic and as you said, more balanced. The developers have already said they plan on adding a “performance index” stat for engines to stop people exploiting the game by having engines which make peek power at the redline by penalising them for it and they also said the efficiency ratings are currently too optimistic, and you think updates to the engine designer are just to reduce compatibility issues? You’d be foolish to think that.

[quote=“Pleb”]What I meant was it would be good if you talked to him to at least let him know that you want to run a recreation thread to replace his. At least then he will know why his thread would be unpinned by a moderator.

Also, maybe you could have made a profile of your own so that you didn’t have some other guy calling the shots? Might be a good idea :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

Well the other guy doesn’t really call the shots anymore, he rarely posts on the forum himself and told me I could basically post whenever I want! And it’s good that you came clean.

[quote=“pyrlix”]gt1cooper just started a engine recreation thread. Other people posted in it too - then we (the moderators) decided to put it up as an Announcement so other people can use it too, instead of cluttering the subforum up with a bazillion recreation threads.
I don’t see why YOU need his permission to post stuff there… just post it and be happy about it. Its not like gt1cooper owns the thread, if you would have looked in the last two pages you can see that other people posted in there too as that is the general Engine Recreation Thread :wink:
We can just unsticky his and stick on yours - but I really don’t see the point in it. I also can just go and merge both threads into one - which will be the easiest way to go and will probably done as BOTH threads basically do the same thing.[/quote]

Oh here we go, we have a selective reader here folks! Of course I knew I didn’t need gt1cooper’s permission to post my recreations on his thread, however I wanted to post my recreations in a thread of my thread and therefore did so once my friend started it for me. And if you don’t see the point in replacing his with mine despite mine being the more active, popular thread more people are viewing and posting in currently, then I guess you see no point in it and that’s that!

Note from Pyrlix: Please dont do a double post.

Boy, you are making a huge noise about something so little. Couldn’t you just keep things as is? Is it that valuable that your thread is the pinned one? If you already have your views, isn’t that good enough?

Also, could you please try to be more polite with those guys? After all, you are asking them a favour and they are here for longer.

From the moment you posted your thread I was completely confused as to why you made it in the first place, and I even posted in there saying that there is a thread pinned for what you were doing. You completely ignored it.

You can come out with the excuse that yours is more popular, but the vast majority of the posts are yours. I go into it frequently, simply to have a look to see if my comment has been noticed. Every time I go in I get perilously close to asking you the same question.

It makes absolutely no sense for your thread to exist and it makes even less sense to have yours pinned to the top. All I can say is, if I was a moderator right now, I would have closed your thread, moved the posts from yours to the other thread and closed this one too. I don’t know everything that can be done here, so I don’t know what might be done, but I don’t reckon that both threads will remain open for long

[quote=“Leonardo9613”]Boy, you are making a huge noise about something so little. Couldn’t you just keep things as is? Is it that valuable that your thread is the pinned one? If you already have your views, isn’t that good enough?

Also, could you please try to be more polite with those guys? After all, you are asking them a favour and they are here for longer.[/quote]

Boy, you certainly like posting irrelevant comments that don’t further the conversation at all don’t you? I asked two simple questions and wanted two simple answers, instead I got a bunch of people contradicting each other. And sorry for being willing to refute what I see as stupidity instead of just letting people make stupid claims and accept them as fact.

Seriously, if you have no interest in the topic at hand, why bother get involved?

You seem to have misunderstood what I said about engine compatibility. I know what the updates are for and what they do, I’m part of the testing team. The fact it’s there is to stop the older engines from doing stupid things in the new balance setup, same as the warning that you get when loading an older engine. As you say, due to the big updates in the next patch this will probably happen again. It is a restriction/warning that is added based on the version number the engine was created in, not a “feature” that is the reason behind each update. This can be seen if you go back a couple of updates, where people discovered you could load older engines by changing the version number in the engine file. Sure, they loaded, but they didn’t work brilliantly, having to be refined to re-match the desired specs or causing crashes.

With regards to also pinning your thread, it would seem daft to have two threads for the same purpose in the same place, surely? Being proud of your thread is fine, I would assume gt1cooper feels the same way about his own.

As Pyrlix already said, sure, we could switch thread positions, but then we face the same issue. We could pin both, but I mentioned that already. We could merge them, but that doesn’t sound perfect either. Or we could just leave things as they are.

[quote=“Cheeseman”]From the moment you posted your thread I was completely confused as to why you made it in the first place, and I even posted in there saying that there is a thread pinned for what you were doing. You completely ignored it.

You can come out with the excuse that yours is more popular, but the vast majority of the posts are yours. I go into it frequently, simply to have a look to see if my comment has been noticed. Every time I go in I get perilously close to asking you the same question.

It makes absolutely no sense for your thread to exist and it makes even less sense to have yours pinned to the top. All I can say is, if I was a moderator right now, I would have closed your thread, moved the posts from yours to the other thread and closed this one too. I don’t know everything that can be done here, so I don’t know what might be done, but I don’t reckon that both threads will remain open for long[/quote]

Well it’s a fact that mine’s the more popular one, it gets more views daily and it’s been getting just as much if not more posts from other people than the other one since it was created. And if what you say is true about you posting in my recreation thread, well, I know for a fact that my friend replied to another person who brought up the same point as what you claimed to have made.

So, congrats for posting something without any point behind it. I guess I’ll add that I recon you’d make a bad moderator who’d abuse his power if you were a moderator, but that’s just an opinion based on viewing one of your posts.

[quote=“adamd”]You seem to have misunderstood what I said about engine compatibility. I know what the updates are for and what they do, I’m part of the testing team. The fact it’s there is to stop the older engines from doing stupid things in the new balance setup, same as the warning that you get when loading an older engine. As you say, due to the big updates in the next patch this will probably happen again. It is a restriction/warning that is added based on the version number the engine was created in, not a “feature” that is the reason behind each update. This can be seen if you go back a couple of updates, where people discovered you could load older engines by changing the version number in the engine file. Sure, they loaded, but they didn’t work brilliantly, having to be refined to re-match the desired specs or causing crashes.

With regards to also pinning your thread, it would seem daft to have two threads for the same purpose in the same place, surely? Being proud of your thread is fine, I would assume gt1cooper feels the same way about his own.

As Pyrlix already said, sure, we could switch thread positions, but then we face the same issue. We could pin both, but I mentioned that already. We could merge them, but that doesn’t sound perfect either. Or we could just leave things as they are.[/quote]

Well, okay, perhaps I did misunderstand you, and I never knew about being able to change the version number of engines. Also I’m well aware why older engines become incompatible after big updates, same for platforms/models in case if you thought I didn’t.

I agree that it would seem daft to have two threads about the same thing pinned, that’s why I asked for mine to replace not just be added and since mine is more popular I thought it would only be fair for it to be the pinned one.

Again, while you may run into the same problem by doing the switch, as mine is currently more popular I believe it’s only fair that it should be the pinned one if you guys don’t merge them.

:confused:

Indeed it is a fact that your thread is more popular and gets more daily views. I am not denying that in the slightest. In fact, I think your engine recreations are marvellous. The fact that the majority of the posts are your own (or your mate that uses the account, if he posts there too) is the point I am making. And besides, like many, many people have said already, this is not a popularity contest. Who cares whether yours is more popular? It was made after the thread by gt1cooper had been pinned, let alone made, and there is no need for duplicates. We don’t need to be told twice about the same suggestion that probably won’t be incorporated into the game, so we don’t need a duplicate thread doing exactly the same thing. It has been made and done. It may be less popular, but that isn’t important. In fact, the popularity may have been robbed simply because you forgot to read the rules and posted yours.

Rules are rules. That’s that.

Moving on to the comment I made. I wasn’t the only one who said this. Pleb said it on your thread. So did gt1cooper. Then I said it. Then a few posts later after a discussion about why it had been made you said you made the thread without releasing the existence of the other, but you kept on posting anyway. So I apologise, my comment had been noticed. I was wrong there.

I have no idea what you think a “point” is, but so far it seems to be anything that is the same as what you think. Anything that isn’t what you believe automatically becomes something without a point behind it. This has the same point everybody else has been trying to get across, but when it comes to such self-righteous people it can be pretty difficult for them to even consider what other people say. Beta testers, moderators and trusted and well-known forum members are trying to help you here, but that doesn’t seem to be enough.

As for your “bad moderator” comment, I know I will never be the best moderator in the world, but assuming that I would be dreadful from simply saying what I would do WITHOUT knowing what can be done is a bit preposterous. I have seen far, far worse moderators that abuse their powers severely in my time (trust me, you only have to look at the Rigs of Rods forum and what a shithole that has become).

Assuming with no knowledge is absurd. Not respecting other people’s opinion is impolite. Not reading the forum rules is ridiculous. Anything else you want to do to try and “convince” us to pin your thread?

EDIT:

Just would like to emphasise the DISOBEYING THE RULES and the NOT POPULARITY CONTEST parts here. Give me strength.

[quote=“Cheeseman”]

Indeed it is a fact that your thread is more popular and gets more daily views. I am not denying that in the slightest. In fact, I think your engine recreations are marvellous. The fact that the majority of the posts are your own (or your mate that uses the account, if he posts there too) is the point I am making. And besides, like many, many people have sound already, this is not a popularity contest. Who cares whether yours is more popular? It was made after the thread by gt1cooper had been pinned, let alone made and there is no need for duplicates. We don’t need to be told twice about the same suggestion that probably won’t be incorporated into the game, so we don’t need a duplicate thread doing exactly the same thing. It has been made and done. It may be less popular, but that isn’t important. In fact, the popularity may have been robbed simply because you forgot to read the rules and posted yours.

Rules are rules. That’s that.

Moving on to the comment I made. I wasn’t the only one who said this. Pleb said it on your thread. So did gt1cooper. Then I said it. Then a few posts later after a discussion about why it had been made you said you made the thread without releasing the existence of the other, but you kept on posting anyway. So I apologise, my comment had gone noticed. I was wrong there.

I have no idea what you think a “point” is, but so far it seems to be anything that is the same as what you think. Anything that isn’t and it automatically becomes something without a point behind it. It has the same point everybody else has been trying to get across, but when it comes to such self-righteous people it can be pretty difficult for them to even consider what other people say. Beta testers, moderators and trusted and well-known forum members are trying to help you here, but that doesn’t seem to be enough.

As for your “bad moderator” comment, I know I will never be the best moderator in the world, but assuming that I would be dreadful from simply saying what I would do WITHOUT knowing what can be done is a bit preposterous. I have seen far, far worse moderators that abuse their powers severely in my time (trust me, you only have to look at the Rigs of Rods Forum and what a shithole that has become).

Assuming with no knowledge is absurd. Not respecting other people’s opinion is impolite. Not reading the forum rules is ridiculous. Anything else you want to do to try and “convince” us to pin your thread?[/quote]

Oh for goodness sake, what is with you selective readers? As I’ve already said numerous times that since my thread’s creation it’s been getting more posts from other people than the other thread, so what does it matter if most of the post are by me? It doesn’t! Stop bring up that point because it’s irrelevant, and stop bring up the “it’s not a popularity contest” one as well! Again as I’ve already said before, another person said gt1cooper’s thread was pinned to make that thread more accessible since they believed it would be a popular thread so why shouldn’t mine be put up there to make it more accessible? And if my thread did break the rules by existing then just get someone to delete it already gosh.

And so what if we kept posting? We had already made the thread, the damage had already been done so why shouldn’t we have continued posting to our thread?

You failed to say anything that furthered the conversation, that’s why your post was pointless. All you did was recycle other people’s points which I had already refuted, that’s why it was pointless not that it wasn’t the same as what I thought.

I already said how it was wrong to assume something based on one post within that same sentence! Gosh darn, you selective readers are something else.

And once again mister selective reader, I asked if my thread could be pinned, it’s not like I started this thread demanding my recreation thread to be pinned. I really hate selective readers like you, you’re so annoying to me.