Admiral Motor Corporation of Canada (1990 AMCC Cadet Turbo)

Besides serving as a cruiser, this vehicle will most likely also be commonly used as a taxi. The 5000GT also has its niche as the civilian equivalent of the police version.

Hmm? Why would a taxi need over 320hp?

That’s kind of what the 5000GT is, no?

2 Likes

Taxis usually opt for the most economical version in terms of overall running cost (fuel economy, maintenance, insurance etc.), which in case of my Comet would probably be the basic 3800 V6, even though the HO V6 gets the best mileage.

3 Likes

Hmm as the vehicle is a non-crown victoria and they had the 4.6 4valve mod motor with 280HP, a power figure of 320HP in Automation is probably more accurate to the game. But as a taxi yeah it would be the most economical engine to fuel and repair hence why Taxi’s in Aus are usually either LPG powered Ford Falcons or Toyota Camry or in the cities Toyota Prius.

1 Like

Next.

5 Likes

I am committed now to complete the 1990-1991 AMCC lineup before moving on to a comprehensive history.

The Cadet Mk.2 was launched at the 1984 Geneva Motor Show as a 1985 model. Whereas the Mk.1 was a Canada-only economy car the Mk.2 was designed with international markets in mind. Buyers had the option between two bodystyles, a four-door sedan and an Estate car. A practical innovation was the use of corrosion resistant steel for the bodyshell (important stuff). Because AMCC didn’t have a fully developed international maintenance network the engines and gearboxes were of Volkswagen design. Originally the EA827 based engine had 1781cc with either a carburetor or K-Jetronic fuel injection and 80/95hp respectively. In 1988 we added a more powerful version with forced induction, 160hp and 225Nm but unlike VWs unusual and unreliable G60 engine it had a simple Garrett turbocharger with intercooling. With a factory LSD it reached 0-100km/h in 7.1 seconds and a top speed of 228km/h and most importantly red go-faster pinstriping and a wing. In 1989 the carburated engine was dropped and a 115hp 1984cc engine added.
Naturally they sold very well in Canada and North America, but also in many other countries with cold and wet climates where their resilience to rust and excellent handling in difficult conditions because of FWD and optional locking differential on all models was a key selling point.

5 Likes

Lovely design. Definition of 80s. And these red stripes! :smiley:

:kiss:

That rear is very… R30 sky. I like

I guess if you’re trying to make something look international you end up with this which is sorta everything but not.

It could only have been a car of the (mid-late) 80s, yet the overall body shape and red pinstriping on the body reminds me of an early-to-mid-90s Falcon XR6 or XR8 (EB to EL, particularly the ED Sprint) considering that the Cadet Turbo is a four-door sedan, even though it’s a front-driver. That styling feature was par for the course back then, and in fact 90s SS Commodores (except for the VT) also had the red pinstripe. And I must admit that your other inspiration was the MG Montego Turbo, which quite frankly, apart from its performance, wasn’t MG’s finest hour.

4 Likes

You are thinking xr6 xr8. The sprint was only available in ed and recently the fgx ( i am lucky enough to be the proud owner of a fgx)