[ALR] Automation Live Racing - New Video!

Sorry about the trim ET, you’re going to have to accept that you can’t have double wishbones all around if you also want MR or AWD at normal chassis quality. :wink: The cappucino is allowed… as long as your engine isn’t poking through the chassis/hood (that thing really does have a weirdly large engine bay size).

Nope, trying to keep people under 200hp still (more would be a lot for the era and make driving this course difficult) and it’s WAY too easy to build an enormously powerful turbo car with any displacement.

Anyway, main thing in this post:
Pretty much immediately after announcing this, I had someone ask me to help them move on Friday and I can’t really turn them down over an internet video game thing. So, this is going to have to be on a pretty different schedule. So, what works for you guys? I’ve got a multiple-choice poll here, I want to pick the time that works for the most people.

Schedule Change

• Thursday, 13:00 US-CST
  • Thursday, 16:00 US-CST
  • Thursday, 22:00 US-CST
  • Saturday, 13:00 US-CST
  • Saturday, 22:00 US-CST
0 voters

why not change the displacement from 1.8cc to 1.0cc or 0.8cc for turbochargers? just throwing around ideas

In case anyone forgot why turbos are banned, here it is:

And regarding the trim and engine ET limits:

For reference, I made an FR test mule using the coupe version of the S2000 body (with a galvanized steel chassis with treated steel bodywork) and surprisingly managed to fit in a DW front/multilink rear suspension while staying under the price cap and keeping all quality sliders at 0.

As for the engine powering it, I found out that I could get a DOHC I4 with all the “goodies” (heavy-duty forged internals, VVT on all cams (but not VVL), individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, long-tube headers and high-flow cat) as long as I left all the quality sliders at 0 and set the block and head materials to cast iron. Even then, I could not set the rev limit too high - 7700 rpm was as high as I could get without the engine exceeding the ET limit and/or suffering from internal stress. Speaking of engine ET, I tried using an all-iron OHV V8, seeing as it could still fit under the ET limit, but I quickly found out that in order for it to be competitive in terms of power, it would need far too much displacement per kilogram (for the trim) to be eligible.

And just to be sure, I made a second test mule (with the same material combination as the first one, and 0 positive or negative quality) using the same engine, but with an FF drivetrain, built on the second-smallest version of the '88 E36/306 body, and with a 3-door hatchback body style, struts up front, and a torsion beam rear. However, although it was lighter and cheaper than the first test mule, it was slower (but not by much) around the Airfield test track when I tested it in Automation - although Beam could well turn out to be a different story. If any drivers are interested in trying out either of these builds for the next round, please let me know.

2 Likes

Looks like we have a strong response in favor of Saturday afternoon. I’ll leave the submission deadline where it is, you get a little more time to practice, and we’ll start at approximately 13:00 US-CST (maybe a little later depending on lunch).

is VVL/VVT allowed? especially VVL

ayup

what about lips/ spoilers? they dont generate any downforce so are they alright to use?

ayup

Event #4 video is up!

4 Likes

Submissions close 24 hours from this post!

I take it cars from any era before '95 are ok? I have a few cars in mind but want to be certain of my choices

I’ll allow it but something from within the last 10 years would be sensible.

oh yeah no, base engine is from '84 cause lore thoo so

Internet at my place is down, so there will be a little delay for the poll.

1 Like

Here is my entry for this round; the Pimp RS1. I definitely didn’t choose that name just because i found the badge and thought it was funny.

Pictures

1 Like

Time for the poll!
Remember, the Discord, Dropbox, and installation guides are linked in the OP. Stay tuned to the end of this post for a special announcement!

@Ken_Shiro in the Flow: 995kg, 190hp, and fake carbon fiber hood stickers (almost every car here is using Partial Aluminum body panels). 6MT and ABS, front engine RWD.

@TCup in the Seishin Choshinsei: 1035kg, 212hp, Mid-engine AWD with some extreme tire stagger.

@pcmoreno in the WInthorpe 95: 999kg, 205hp (from a V6!), FWD. No ABS in this one. Also, light truck monocoque for some reason… why not?

@th3maldonado in the Bramhall Spada Gr. A Custom: 1276kg, 204hp, front-engine AWD. Has an “offroad” skid tray to get over the speed bumps- one of a few cars with interesting design decisions to aid the Offroad score requirement while being as low to the ground as possible.

@Sealboi in the SMC Vimm: 1250kg, 208hp, front RWD. Room for a second seat row, but no rear seats to save weight.

@bilobilo in the “H?gai” J900RR AWD: 1422kg, 256hp, making it especially heavy and powerful in this field of cars. Front engine AWD, as the name implies. What character turned into a question mark? We may never know.

@LoSboccacc in the Torita RX: 1141kg, 226hp, front AWD. On soft brake pads for comfort- fortunately these aren’t long races.

@nev in the custom car he calls the Deep Fried Mars Bar: 851kg, 200hp makes for an impressive power to weight. Front AWD. Engine revs over 9000. This car has a manual locking diff, not for racing grip but for the offroad requirement (speed bump, time to lock in the diff!). Maximum brake airflow- it occurs to me I’m not 100% sure that has an effect in Beam. Also he forgot to name it ALR5 so I had to look around for the exported file- Boo! Hiss!

@missionsystem in the Valeo Starlad: Ah yes, Valeo, the IRL manufacturer that makes the bad windshield wiper motors that have to be replaced. 1068kg, 208hp, front transverse AWD. 5MT, geared LSD.

@Sigg610 in the FPV Karla S20: 1130kg, 221hp, front AWD. 2+2 seats. Active wing(!) which I don’t think does anything in BeamNG unfortunately.

@Deltaz in the Pimp RS1: This car costs $25000! I assume he misread the budget of 24000. To make the rent this month, he had to sell back his Sport seats and put the Standard ones back. He put the rear +2 seats back in the car so he could take his cousins to school. (Allowing the car to meet the comfort requirement). When all is done, it’s 1076kg, with 214hp, notably using DCOE carburetors at -4 quality, presumably the cheapest brand of aftermarket carbs. (also I didn’t change the fixtures but ignore that lol)

@ImKaeR in the Moonliner: 952kg, 190hp, mid-engine AWD. This slick-looking affordable supercar has an embarassing secret: it’s been electronically limited to 87mph. This has allowed Imkaer to use +4 quality Sports Compound tires which are much cheaper because they have a low speed rating, having been originally intended for use on go-karts or something. Right on the nose for service cost limit at $1999.9.

@Ken_Shiro in the Kekw: image 820kg, 166hp from a 3-cylinder. Front AWD.

@mart1n2005 in the Knightwick Typhoon Coupe: 1055kg, 181hp makes this one of the less impressive cars in terms of power to weight. Tranverse FWD.

Altogether that makes 14 signups!

Survey Link!

And here’s the route!

Dropbox is uploading now so it may be a few minutes before all the cars are ready. Make sure there’s 14 in there!

5 Likes

the magic disappeared character is the Japanese ō. the car brand is thus named Hōgai. Yes i know im spoiling the fun by telling what it is, but i like to see the world burn >:)

Wait… why am I in the Knightwick… I wasn’t able to submit a car…

Oops… wrong martin! I’ve fixed that.

2 Likes

My car is a copy of the '93 Group A Factor rally car by a bad-boy street racer (Hence the offensive purple and faux offroady bits), Budget of course cause no turbo stuffs.