[ALR] Automation Live Racing - New Video!

Jesus mission got his brand roasted lmao

1 Like

Damn, late to the party i see… I thought of (and made) a car for this but totally missed the deadline :frowning: Anyways, good luck to you all and have a fun race

Here’s how my car is meant to look, when its exported properly.

The server is now up! Remember we are using KissMP. If you haven’t tried KissMP yet, now is the time to make sure it is working. The race is in 2 hours from this post, and instructions are in the OP.

The weather forecast is locked in: it will be a sunny day!

Next, here’s the tournament layout. With 13 participants, fully 3 people started in the second bracket, so I decided to seed the tournament based roughly on previous ALR performance instead of randomly.

Lastly, here’s the survey results.

Not a lot of respondents for this one, maybe I should have advertised it more. Once again Missionsystem finds himself at the top. I also realized that I put two cars from Kenshiro in. He’s racing in the AWD Kekw, not the Flow, which was a build he decided against using.

Anyway, during the race, the competitor with the better-looking car in each match-up will choose whether to lead or follow, and whether to race uphill or downhill.

4 Likes
Automation Live Racing #6: Modern Muscle slow car lol

Welcome to the the place for live multiplayer racing in BeamNG! This will be a competition to determine the best combination of car and driver.

To play, you will need BeamNG, The BeamMP Multiplayer Mod as well as Automation.
Details on how to install mods, and links to our discord and dropbox, are in the ORIGINAL POST. Note that we are using BeamMP again rather than KissMP.

EVENT RULES

Theme

It is 2010, and muscle cars are back! Modern engine technology means that great power no longer comes with great emissions. Neither still do modern muscle cars need to be low-tech: besides having massive engines, they are modern full-sized luxury performance cars. Unibody contruction, fully independent suspension, and electronic assistance are all on the table.
Once again, your manufacturer has been invited to one of Automagazine’s famous manufacturer competitions. The event is only open to widely produced cars which have been reviewed by the magazine and meet the standards of luxury and practicality expected for cars in this class. As usual, cars will be raced in a configuration as close to dealership spec as possible, the purpose of this event is to compare cars which are available to buyers.
There is one exception to this theme: The event is sponsored by Fujisaki Tires, and all vehicles will run standardized semi-slicks. This track would be a poor fit for street tires.

The Race

Track: The race is on Boomerang Speedway, a mod track for BeamMP, and each heat will be four laps long. I’ve uploaded a slightly modified version to the drop box, with additional barriers placed for our route.
Heats: Maximum 6 cars per heat. Number of heats depends on number of participants. Most drivers should race in two heats; one qualifying heat and one heat to determine final position.
Appearance Poll: Qualifying will be based on appearance poll! Top qualifiers will place into new heats first- EG the 2nd best voted car will be 1st on the grid in Heat 2, then 3rd would be either 1st in Heat 3 or 2nd in Heat 1 depending on the number of heats.
Schedule: Race is tentatively scheduled for 1:00PM US-CST on Friday, March 26th. Cars must be submitted by noon the prior Thursday!

Submissions

Teams: One driver per team, and one or more car designers. You may be a one-person team. No driver or designer may participate in multiple teams. When submitting your car, include your Driver’s name (BeamMP allows any name for “guests” now) and control type (EG Steering Wheel, Gamepad, Keyboard).
Naming: Name your Model and Engine Family “ALR6-Username” and submit the .car file to me on the forums (not discord).
Schedule: To be included in the poll, and to give time for pre-downloads, cars must be submitted by Noon US-CST on Thursday, March 25th. The race will be in the afternoon the following Friday!
Pre-Download: When the poll goes up, all the car files will be in the dropbox, linked in the OP. It is strongly recommended that you download them ahead of time instead of when trying to join the server. Mods go in your BeamMP\Resources folder. This will save a ton of time when joining the server, which could otherwise take up to 30 minutes!

CAR RULES

Inspiration

These last two might be controversial…

Note that you have a choice of a sporty and lightly customized look, or outrageous (if mostly non-functional) body mods and vinyls.

Car Requirements

Year: Trim year 2010
Total Estimated Cost: $40,000 or less
Service cost: $2400 or less
Maximum Engineering Time: 125
Maximum Production Units: 120
MInimum Market Score: 125 in Muscle in Any Country
Front engine, RWD ONLY
Seats: Minimum 2 Full front seats
Minimum Quality: -4 on any part
NO “Significantly Reduces Production Efficiency” Items: EG Aluminum panels/chassis, Space Frame, Hand-Built Interior. No, you can’t get aluminum presses.
NO Semi-Space Frame
NO Manual Locker
Minimum Safety: 48
Minimum comfort: 2 seats: 35, 4 seats: 30, 5 seats or Pickup Bed: 28
MInimum practicality OR Utility: 20
Minimum Gas Mileage: 12MPG (US)
Tires: ONLY SEMI-SLICK +0 Quality. Max width 285mm, may average 285mm if staggered.
Max 1 Wing Fixture: Must be outside the car, preferably 2D placement, and not far/detached from the car. Maximum width is the car’s body (not including wheel wells/3D objects). Maximum length is 2x size large 3D cube. No bizarre rotation/negative scaling shenanigans. Must be in front of the car or above the trunk, or right up against the rear hatch on hatchbacks. Note that for BeamNG purposes, support bars which are part of a wing fixture are part of the wing’s length.

Engine Requirements

Year: Family and Variant 2010 or Earlier
Maximum Engineering TIme: 120
Maximum PU: 65
Max Displacement: 4cc/kg (this is a lot!)
NO Turbo
NO VVT/VVL
NO Race Parts
Catalytic Converter Required
Fuel: Regular or Premium Unleaded
Maximum Loudness: 50
Maximum Stress: 0% in any category. That’s NO stress!

Tips

-Take advantage of ABS!
-On this track you will NEED to practice your BRAKING POINTS! Know when you need to slow down!
-Fine-tune your wing! In BeamNG ONLY THE WING’S SIZE affect’s downforce. The aero sliders in beamNG do nothing, leave them low for better gas mileage.
-Cars may originate from any country, so use your own judgement on visible safety features like blinkers, crash bumpers etc.
-It is NOT RECOMMENDED to model the interior of cars for BeamNG racing as this tends to add weight in beam and makes the model more complicated.

Last of all, I’m uploading these rules at 1AM and I’m tired so they might still need a few tweaks!

The maximum approximate cost is a typo - it should be $40,000 at most.

And just because we cannot use aluminum bodies, does that also mean we cannot use partial aluminum as a panel material either?

As for tire sizes, even considering the type (semi-slick with 0 quality), an average width of 185mm seems incredibly tiny for the amount of power this kind of car is known for.

And on top of that, I think a three-way catalytic converter should also be a mandatory fitment - by 2010, unleaded fuel had been mandatory for decades.

2 Likes

Partial aluminum is allowed.

As for the rest, that’s all correct: wider tires (285mm), $40,000, cats required.

I’ve tried building a car complying with those rules and was a bit surprised that the fuel economy was the hardest requirement for me. For pickup I had to use smallest, sleekest body, taaalll gearing downsize the engine quite a bit, 15.0 lean fuel mixture and I’m still under power compared to the contemporary cars. Am I doing something wrong?

Another question, what do you mean by max wing length at most 2 large 3D cubes?

Alright, this should be the last rule update:

First, Only 12mpg is required.

Second the course has been updated to eliminate the twisty outfield section. Now instead of being highly concerned with the tight corners, you’ve got to figure out how to avoid flying off the big corner at 160mph. I’ve uploaded a new track file to the dropbox.

Edit to add: Clarification on Wing Size
The Large 3D Cube refers to the largest cube object available in the vanilla 3D fixtures. When its length (blue axis) is scaled to 2, the total length of the vehicle’s wing fixture should not exceed this length.

The wing fixture in this image is using about 90-95% of its maximum length. The supporting struts in front of the actual wing surface count towards this total length, because in BeamNG, this is how the wing’s area is assessed.

3 Likes

no limits on other appendages like those from the lips tab?

Lips dont create any downforce in beam so they should be fine.

Video from ALR #5 is here!

2 hours until submission deadline!

Remember to vote on the best-looking cars! Link on the bottom.

The cars and track are all in the dropbox, which is linked in the OP: [ALR] Automation Live Racing: #11 Classic Sports Track Weekend (Survey Time!)

@B4nditOo in the Hussar Big Boy GT460R: 1342kg, 4.6L V8 making 439hp.Glued aluminum chassis construction and pushrod rear suspension makes this a budget supercar in the shape of a pickup truck. 6 speed DCT.

@ImKaeR in the Husar (not to be confused with B4ndit’s brand, Hussar) Kieretta. Despite weighing 1333kg, this corvette-like car sells best to Light Sport buyers. 5.3L V8 makes 519 horsepower, with a manual transmission. Interior is engineered for weight, with a +8 quality Premium/Basic CD setup, and Basic safety.

@bilobilo in the Marshall Cerberus. 1534 kg, 6L V8 making 488hp. 6MT. 4 seats.

@LoSboccacc in the Marameo Fulmine. 1608kg, 6.4L I6 (booo) making 566hp (whoooo!) on titanium internals. 4 seats, 6DCT and traction control.

@stigx24536 in the Chupacabra. 1155kg makes this the lightest car here, and it has a 4.6L I6 making 430hp with SOHC4 and an AlSi block, as well as titanium internals. This might be the only car which is light enough that the power is primarily limited by displacement rather than gas mileage. 5DCT, 2 seats and no traction aids at all. It’s got active suspension bits for comfort. It also has an insane 7.3 degrees roll angle and very soft suspension.

@Deltaz in the 'Murican Steel. This (custom?) truck is set up for racing with intakes in the headlights and no blinkers. It also has an American flag and Hetvesian license plates, which makes my head hurt. 1437kg, 5.7L V8 making 451hp. 5DCT, no traction aids, and a flashing red wheelspin warning in the designer (Whooo! :cowboy_hat_face: )

@pcmoreno in the Winthorpe Visage, which brings back the hood window from the Winthorpe Lemon, although looking a bit less out of place this time. It’s also got door windows, so everybody knows you’re getting road head. 1857kg (BIG METAL) making 538hp from a 7.4L V8 (Yeahhh! :us:) Somehow it’s as heavy as it is despite using partial aluminum body panels and an AHS steel monocoque chassis. It does contain 5 seats, but only a standard interior and basic safety (plus some active suspension bits).

@Ken_Shiro in the Centaur. 1566kg, 534hp from a 6.2L flatplane V8. That’s after losing 6hp from reducing the size of the exhaust a tick, the -4 quality exhaust was a little too loud. 6MT, 2 seats with a Luxury interior.

@jameseydude in the Trim 32. As the name might imply, this one was a bit rushed for the deadline. 1833kg, and has a 5.7L flatplane V8 making 427hp. 6 speed DCT, luxury interior and fully active suspension. Standard Safety puts it well above minimum safety requirements.

Survey Link

4 Likes

Race is over, congrats to @Sigg610 for winning! Stay tuned for an announcement of the next event!

Automation Live Racing #7: Folk Racing slow car lol

Welcome to the the place for live multiplayer racing in BeamNG! This will be a competition to determine the best combination of car and driver.

To play, you will need BeamNG, The KissMP Multiplayer Mod as well as Automation.
Details on how to install mods, and links to our discord and dropbox, are in the ORIGINAL POST. Note that we are using KissMP again, and you will have to re-download it with the latest update.

EVENT RULES

Theme

It is some time in the 2000’s, and you and your friends have decided to have a few beers and race some old cars. In this case, that means finding whatever you can get for less than 1600 euros, common family cars that were cheap new and are at least 10 years old, now rapidly approaching worthlessness. The site is RSWatt’s Rallycross Track, a short circuit with mixed surfaces and and a joker:a junction into a slower section of the course which all drivers are required use once during the race. While it’s not a demolition derby, folk racing definitely involves banging together some old cars for a good laugh, and that’s just what you’ll do.

The Race

Track: The race is on RSWats Rallycross, and each heat will be 6 laps long. During each heat, drivers must complete the JOKER once, or be disqualified. This is a mixed-surface track, with both dirt and pavement.
Contact: No deliberately pitting, brake checking, or ramming drivers off the road. However, you will be rubbing often on this course and that is allowed.
Heats: Maximum 6 cars per heat. Number of heats depends on number of participants. Most drivers should race in two heats; one qualifying heat and one heat to determine final position.
Appearance Poll: Qualifying will be based on appearance poll! Top qualifiers will place into new heats first- EG the 2nd best voted car will be 1st on the grid in Heat 2, then 3rd would be either 1st in Heat 3 or 2nd in Heat 1 depending on the number of heats.
Schedule: Race is tentatively scheduled for 1:00PM US-CST on Friday, April 9th. Cars must be submitted by noon the prior Thursday!

Submissions

Teams: One driver per team, and one or more car designers. You may be a one-person team. No driver or designer may participate in multiple teams. When submitting your car, include your Driver’s name and control type (EG Steering Wheel, Gamepad, Keyboard).
Naming: Name your Model and Engine Family “ALR7-Username” and submit the .car file to me on the forums (not discord).
Schedule: To be included in the poll, and to give time for pre-downloads, cars must be submitted by Noon US-CST on Thursday, April 8th. The race will be in the afternoon the following Friday!
Pre-Download: When the poll goes up, all the car files will be in the dropbox, linked in the OP. It is strongly recommended that you download them ahead of time instead of when trying to join the server. See the OP link for mod installation instructions in order to make them work with BeamMP or KissMP.

CAR RULES

Inspiration

For visual design, cars may be stock, or they may have livery and be stripped of features like bumpers and lights.

Car Requirements

Year: Trim year 1990 or Earlier
Total Estimated Cost: $19,000 or less
Service cost: $1200 or less
Maximum Engineering Time: 95
Maximum Production Units: 95
MInimum Market Score: MANUAL TRANSMISSION: In Hetvesia only: 110 in Family or Family Utility
MInimum Market Score: AUTO TRANSMISSION: In Hetvesia only: 150 in Family or Family Utility
2WD ONLY (front or rear)
Seats: Minimum 2 Full front seats
NO “Significantly Reduces Production Efficiency” Items: EG Aluminum panels/chassis, Space Frame, Hand-Built Interior. No, you can’t get aluminum presses.
NO Semi-Space Frame
NO Manual Locker/Auto Locker
Minimum Safety: 40
Minimum Gas Mileage: 20MPG (US)
Tires: Max width 225mm, Staggered tires may not be wider. Max 16 inch wheel size. No Semi-Slick.
NO Wing Fixtures

Engine Requirements

Year: Family and Variant 1990 or Earlier
Maximum Engineering TIme: 90
Maximum PU: 30
Max Displacement: 1.5cc/kg
NO Turbo
NO Race Parts
Fuel: Regular or Premium Unleaded
Maximum Loudness: 50
Maximum Stress: 0% in any category. That’s NO stress!

Tips

-Take advantage of ABS!
-VVT is allowed, and it’s a really cheap way to get more gas mileage!
-Hard Long-Life tires get the best grip on dirt, while Medium get better grip on pavement. The track is mixed-surface. Sport tires are technically allowed but almost certainly not worth it.
-The track is not totally even, so be careful of making your suspension too hard.
-It is NOT RECOMMENDED to model the interior of cars for BeamNG racing as this tends to add weight in beam and makes the model more complicated.

COUNTDOWN TO SUBMISSION DEADLINE: DON’T BE LATE

For this round, you seem to have forgotten about fuel type requirements - I would suggest 95 RON premium unleaded as the absolute maximum.

Edit: It seems like you were aware of fuel type requirements after all.

Nah, it’s already in there- regular or premium unleaded.

What about lip fixtures? Are there any limits on how many of those a car can have? And can we use partial aluminum as a chassis material, even though full aluminum panels are not permitted?

On top of that, the minimum market score requirements (for Hetvesia) are a bit over-optimistic - do they deserve to be lowered? Or should the requirements be for the Family Utility Budget and Family Budget markets instead?

Lip fixtures have no aero effect in BeamNG, so use as many as you want. It’s the same answer every time, so stop asking. :wink:

It’s generally not recommended to use them because lip/spoiler fixtures can reduce your gas mileage and add engineering time, while providing no downforce in beam. If you have more than 23 lip fixtures on your car I will disqualify it for being a shitpost.

Yup.

I built a car on these rules with 190 Family Utility market score (manual transmission). It’s easy to do this… but the hard part will be making it fast. Keep in mind it might be almost impossible to make a sub-compact which qualifies, they prefer mid to large vehicles.