[ARM] Automation RestoMod Chapter 22: Setting a personal Rekord (REVIEWS pt. 2 + RESULTS!)

How much extra cost would a transmission swap (either replacing the stock 4-speed manual with one that has a different number of gears, or an automatic/advanced auto/dual-clutch/auto-manual transmission with any number of gears) incur? Especially since the rules don’t yet mention such a change.

I have decided to not put a penalty on transmission swaps this time for some reasons.

1. Without doing any in-depth research, my guess is that a 4 speed manual is a rather “cheap” option and that anything you would want to swap it for in 2023 is going to be more expensive.

2. It is a rear wheel drive car, which makes transmission swaps a relatively simple affair.

3. The CIH series of engines lasted for almost forever, and was exclusively used in rear wheel drive cars. That means that there are 1990s advanced auto transmissions, for example, that are more or less bolt on affairs.

But if anyone does not agree with me, I am still open for objections until sunday.

Are we allowed to use the engine position options in advanced trim settings? Looking at photos of the real Rekord’s engine bay, the valve cover and the top of the carburettor’s intake are typically much higher than Automation’s default, so it’s not particularly unrealistic.

Yes, this is a relevant change for me.

2 Likes

I’m really confused about the B Pillar thing I don’t know about attaching stuff to it? And what is mean in offroad section ‘asphalt carver’ I don’t see an option for that

Probably…I guess it won’t affect anything stats wise anyway. If nobody has an objection I might change that.

Most cars, as you know, has a pillar behind the doors (or in the case of a 4 door car, a pillar between the front and rear doors).

This generation of Rekord Coupé is a so called “pillarless hardtop” though. If you crank down the windows, it will only be a huge, gaping hole on the sides, with no pillar in the way. Think of it a little bit of a car with a regular steel roof, but with the side windows arranged like on a convertible. So, the chrome pieces you see around the windows, will follow the windows down when you crank them down, there is no pillar attached to the body.

So, if you are making an interior, putting any interior trim pieces or seatbelts between the front and rear window will reduce your score on the interior, because it would not be possible to do it IRL. As I have said, a really shitty interior will not give a lower score than no interior at all, but it would be rather stupid to not follow this guideline now when you have it.

By “asphalt carver” I mean a car that barely can manage driving on a smooth, straight asphalt road without scraping (zero offroad)… Just keep offroad stats in mind before you lower it to the ground all that you can. And as they are a one-star priority…keep in mind that sacrificing everything else for offroad stats is probably a very bad idea. If I need to go to places where there are no roads at all, I have a 4 wheel drive Nissan King Cab, so 4x4 and manual lockers in the Rekord is probably a doubtful choice unless you really want to gamble by building a true offroad machine…that’s about how much I can say without giving you too much hints.

2 Likes

Here’s a picture showing what I mean.

1 Like

OK, this is now open for submissions and rules are set.

I decided to allow for engine position adjustments (in moderation) like @AMuteCrypt asked for.

Also, I got input from 4 people regarding ET limits. Two wanted more liberal ones, two thought they were good as they were. As I was leaning towards the latter myself, I will NOT change them.

4 Likes

Spyshots :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OK, I NEED TO MAKE ONE IMPORTANT THING VERY CLEAR!

To start with, you are supposed to keep the answers you get on the three personal questions for yourself. This is to keep the whole thing more of a challenge. Now, it is probably not a disaster if you leak something, but it is worth keeping in mind in itself.

Now, lately, a participant has spread out FAKE answers on the questions said participant has asked, probably as a way to trick the other participants into making the wrong kind of car. This is NOT what I call good sportsmanship, and is by no means acceptable.

I only say it once, if I see this happen ever again, in this ARM or any of the rounds I may host in the future, the participant doing that will automatically get binned for bad sportsmanship, no matter how good the car is. I guess I am clear enough.

Public shaming this time is just unnecessary, because this is a rule applying to everyone.
Now let’s focus on building the best car instead of trying to win via sabotage.

14 Likes

Opel Rekord GSE 3.0 - Lightning Garage

The old Rekord has been given a complete body restauration and some somewhat discrete changes to teh front and rear of the car. The old engine is replaced with a restored and modernised 3 litre straight six from a 1985 Opel Monza, giving just above 200 hp. Even the rear axel is replaced with a double wishbone suspension.

Gallery

13 Likes

Opel Rekord GSE 5.3 - Wells Motorsports

@Knugcab We took your car and spruced it up a bit, gave it a new lease on life. We gave it a new paintjob, new black vynyl top, new interior, new chrome trim, all new suspension components that have been re-tuned, A brand new set of staggered 18in Forgiato rims and last but not least a heart transplant, a 5.3 LS SWIZZAP!!! More power but nothing too crazy, 255hp and all day driveable.

5 Likes

FIRST REMINDER

A little less than two weeks left now. This far, I have subs from:
@Ch_Flash
@DuceTheTruth100

Probably going to crash and burn (both figuratively and literaly), but if I can just find an extra $1000 I will be able to enter something “interesting” :stuck_out_tongue:

So how strict is this when it comes to some of these stats? (like Fuel Economy, practicality, etc?) :slight_smile:

How long is a rope?

Practicality is not a priority, so I won’t care too much there, fuel economy 2 star, but I would say it depends there. Worse economy with 100 hp or with 400 hp? First one feels more like a drawback than the later one.

2 Likes

Closer to the latter HP, but inget your point. I’ll see what I can achieve :grin:

A beam of light shot through the dark streets.
Faster than an instant, it traveled through the night.
And now, it can land at your front door.
Specifications
Sunset "Fiery Six" twin turbocharged 2.7 inline six l 310hp
6sp dual clutch transmission l 5.3s 0-60
Adaptive 5 mode sport suspension l 1.16 cornering g's
Semi-aniline tri-tone blue leather, sustainably sourced tweed fabric
Hand-milled aluminum dash with ambient lighting capped by glass
HUD featuring voice/gesture activation
21-speaker Bermeister surround sound
7 Likes

Rope is usually sold in 100 foot lengths, however 50 seems to be equally common. The ‘Rope’ is also simply a deprecated measure of length, defined as exactly 20 feet or approximately 6.1 meters.

(am i being pedantic enough? lmao)

3 Likes

SECOND REMINDER
A little less than a week left.
Full submissions from
@DuceTheTruth100
@Ch_Flash
@HelloHi

3 Likes

Something happened and my entry for this got all its fixtures wiped :sob:

I’ll try to rebuild in time…

3 Likes