[ARM] Automation RestoMod Chapter 22: Setting a personal Rekord (REVIEWS pt. 2 + RESULTS!)

REVIEWS PART 2 + RESULTS

Full of excitement, the much better me took some time to think things over. Then, the much better me started up my much better computer and loaded the files into the much better than Beam simulation…

LIGHTNING GARAGE OPEL REKORD 3.0 GSE @Ch_Flash
A familiar sound appeared when I started up the Lightning Garage entry - this was an Opel 6 cylinder, no question about it. As such one, it behaved like expected too. Throttle response was fair, as well as low end torque, and it was smooth as a turbine - as inline sixes tend to be. The Torsen differential in the new double wishbone type rear axle meant that it took away without any alarming amount of wheelspin, and the traction control further added to that. Not much could be said about the six speed manual - it felt nice and so did the gearing. Maybe the non variable steering rack felt a little bit outdated compared to more modern, variable types, but it was still an upgrade nonetheless compared to the manual ball type steering of the original.

The sports tyres were hugging the road - it was said to have a cornering ability of 1.09 G at the large skidpad. The all around vented discs with ABS was perfectly balanced and gave secure and short stops, with no fading whatsoever. There was a little bit of body roll in the corners, but nothing that was disturbing. Like front engined, rear wheel drive cars tend to be, it was a bit tail happy at slow speeds, gradually turning towards understeering, rather good balance there. Suspension felt nice on smooth roads, but it seemed to be a bit bouncy tested on a worse stretch of the road. However, it could probably cope with the rough roads of northern Sweden rather well. The premium interior and premium infotainment system also contributed to giving it a decent comfort rating.

OPEL REKORD WINDOWMAKER @AMuteCrypt
Being another Opel six cylinder, the behaviour of this engine was pretty similar to the Lightning Garage entry - albeit a bit weaker performance wise. That, of course, also meant that there were no wheelspin even with an open differential. The gearbox was only a 5 speed this time, maybe a R28 out of an Omega? Not much to say about that one either, it felt a bit dated compared to the gearbox in the Lightning Garage entry, but good enough.

It had a more modern multilink rear suspension compared to the double wishbone used by Lightning Garage (still, a step forward compared to the stock solid axle). The medium compound tyres, however, meant that it could not corner nearly as good - 0.8 G compared to 1.09, and also, there was even more body roll in the corners. Instead, it was way more comfort oriented, with an active suspension tuned towards comfort and a semi active damping. A luxury interior and luxury HUD infotainment system further enhanced the feeling of how comfort oriented this car was. Variable EPS and ESC was modern stuff the Lightning Garage entry did not have. Braking capacity, however, was worse, but despite having only solid discs in the rear, there was no obvious amounts of fade.

When it came to handling bad roads, it had an advantage over the Lightning Garage entry, though, despite the open diff.

KACKSTUHL K1 @Happyhungryhippo
Kackstuhl? I hate Germany! Oh, wait, Germany makes Opel? Forget it, I love Germany! So, where were we?

It was obvious that the Primus four cylinder was a much more modern unit than the Opel six cylinders, a twin cam unit with VVT, 16 valves and direct injection. Fact is, torque and horsepower graphs looked quite similar to the Windowmaker’s 6 cylinder, and it was noticeable. What was lacking was of course the sound and smoothness of a six, but the throttle response was in a completely different division.

Despite the torsen differential that was put into the original rear axle, there was some wheelspin when taking off. Then, it went like a horny snake all over the road, as expected with crossplies. The non variable EPS didn’t do much to make the driving experience more exciting either. Six speed manual gearbox worked nice, though.

Cornering was a bit worse than the Windowmaker, 0.78 G, but the car had less bodyroll and was always predictable. Stopping was also a bit worse, and despite vented discs all around, I could feel some brake fade when driven hard. ABS? Yes. In fact, even ESC. Weird combo with tyre technology that was outdated over 50 years ago, but OK.

Premium interior with standard infotainment was an upgrade compared to the original, meaning that the comfort would probably be decent, but not much more, with the solid rear axle still in place. Where it did shine, though, was on the worser parts of the road.

OPEL REKORD SVETSON @happyfireballman
The V8 in the Svetson could wake up the dead, no question about it. Hairy, but maybe tiresome in the long run. At least it had a premium, though a bit dated, sound system. With all this power under the hood, the one wheel peelers were a bit disappointing indeed. Even this car had a six speed manual, relatively sane in its gearing but not feeling as great as the Lightning Garage unit. ESC and launch control made taking off a bit easier at least, but the non variable EPS was a bit lacking in its feel and feedback. Cornering was almost a bit too much on the safe side. It can manage 0.98 G on its medium compound tyres - true. But it understeers heavily, despite the weight distribution being a very good 51/49%.

A relatively stiff suspension, low profile tyres, twin tube dampers and the stock solid axle still in place meant that this was probably not going to be a very comfortable car, though - especially not paired with the engine drone. Brakes were kind of a mess too, too much rear biased, and only solid discs even up front felt a bit cheap. Though stopping distances were good - but longer than for the Lightning Garage entry.

Neither was this car something to count with on the bad roads, partly because of its lack of ground clearance.

SUNSET GARAGE OPEL REKORD MOONRAY @HelloHi
Being a more modern unit than the Opel six cylinders, with twin turbos, 24 valves and direct injection, it was maybe a bit disappointing that the throttle of the 2.7 litre inline six in the moonray was as responsive as a bear in the early spring. However, the tuning felt rather good. No horse kick a la 80s, closer to how my brother’s Volvo 940 LPT behaved, despite circa 2.5 times the power.

DCT transmissions are kind of a Sunset Garage thing, and why not? They are a bit like eating the cake and still having it. Maybe it has kind of long gears for Swedish speed limits, though. That also shows in the almost non-existant wheelspin when taking off.

Driving it was really a pleasure though. It is almost stupidly neutral, and seems to never lose grip on its sports compound tyres. 1.16 Gs - wow. Yet, it can be as stupidly comfortable when needed - active suspension and adaptive dampers, as well as a multilink rear axle, contributes to this, I guess. There is also an electric variable power steering and ESC - well, I have felt better variable EPSes and the ESC feels a bit overpowering like in a 90s Mercedes E-class - but hey, cramming all this, as well as a luxury interior and luxury HUD infotainment into this budget requires some tradeoffs, right?

Unfortunately, just like the Svetson, the tradeoffs are obvious on the worser parts of the road. This is better suited for the Autobahn than for northern Sweden, I guess.

WELLS MOTORSPORTS OPEL REKORD GSE @DuceTheTruth100
A V8 much more suited for daily use than the Svetson one, that’s for sure. Smoother, quieter. Not much more powerful than the 4- and 6-cylinder N/A entries, but what it has is a much flatter torque curve.

Thanks to a torsen diff, there is not much wheelspin when taking off. It is also another car with a rather unremarkable 6 speed manual. Cornering is impressive for only having medium compound tyres, 0.97 G - and like the Sunset Garage entry, it is almost stupidly neutral. Unfortunately, the tradeoff of a solid rear axle shows here - you can have comfort or handling, but it will be hard to have both. Premium interior and a slightly outdated premium satnav system is of course good compared to the original - but there is also cars offering more.

Brake balance is good and the 4 wheel vented discs stops the car short and securely. ABS is of course a good addition - this car even has ESC. Like Lightning Garage, it has a non variable hydraulic rack, maybe a bit dated but still works well.

Despite being rather low to the ground, it also seemed to cope well with the bad stretches of the road.

After thinking things over even a bit more, the better version of me made his decision…

RESULTS!

#6 - Opel Rekord Svetson @happyfireballman
A good looking car, albeit relatively close to stock, a remarkable safety package update, and mentally fast. Unfortunately, too many tradeoffs were done for the sake of performance. Mainly the comfort puts it down, not much better than the original despite being a 4 star prio. This car is simply too much for being a nice weather daily. Terrible fuel economy would make me think twice before driving, too.

#5 - Kackstuhl K1 @Happyhungryhippo
Reluctantly, I put this a place higher than the Svetson. Despite the meme-ish nature of this build, it is simply a bit more sane overall. It has the highest score in all the economy related categories, and reliability is fair. Driveability is poor on the crossplies, though, and the looks, well, I am not going to bash them anymore now, I start to feel sorry for you.

#4 - Opel Rekord Windowmaker @AMuteCrypt
A prime example of a entry that actually has no major weak spots at all - it is only being overshadowed by entries that are a bit stronger overall. Best in round safety deserves a mention, though.

#3 - Sunset Garage Opel Rekord Moonray @HelloHi
This is kind of the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of this round. Some things are amazing - how many Automation challenges are there where the same car scores the highest in comfort, driveability AND sportiness? That shows that you have managed to tune it exactly right! Also, the interior is by far the best one. Great fuel economy despite the performance. Why isn’t this a winner?

Simply because it has many weak spots as well. The lowest reliability to the highest price, astronomical service costs and an offroad score almost as weak as the Svetson. As I said, the change of the roofline and trunk made authenticity take a hit, as for the rest of the styling, I like most of it, not all, I can appreciate the work put into it. But maybe the soul of the Opel is starting to fade away at this point, being replaced by the soul of Sunset Garage? Not necessarily bad, but this time authenticity played a rather big part, too.

#2 - Wells Motorsports Opel Rekord 5.3 GSE @DuceTheTruth100
VW had dieselgate, Wells has displacementgate? OK, except for that, a good looking and well balanced entry, to a surprisingly competitive purchase price. There is not much bad to say about this entry, albeit the comfort rating was a bit disappointing in a challenge where it had this high of a priority, fuel economy could have been better, and generally the winner was a bit better overall. The winner? Well, probably you know it by now…

#1- Lightning Garage Opel Rekord 3.0 GSE @Ch_Flash
A swede knows what a swede needs? Best in round reliability, and best exterior styling, but overall, this entry shows that it is more important with balanced overall stats than to be the best at one or two things. It is more or less lacking weak spots, seems to have nailed the brief, spot on, and even is sensible in its purchase price. Because of that, there is no question which car that wins this round of ARM.

CONGRATULATIONS TO @Ch_Flash !

8 Likes

When I saw my car as the first image, I thought I won :skull:

1 Like

It’s quite common to do a countdown like this to build up some excitement.

Thanks for hosting, i definitely learned along the way, and im gonna mark this 2nd place finish on the calendar lol, this is my highest finish yet.

I actually drove it for a while in Beam too. I noticed that it was pretty tame with the ESC on, almost too tame. But when i switched the ESC off it got tail happy, but it was predictable.

I never knew of the Opel Rekord before this, ill say thats a pretty cool car!

3 Likes

Oh, Thank you :slight_smile: I’m at work right now, I get back to this later today.

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see what you can come up with, and in case you’re unsure about something as a first time (I think) host, you know where I am, I’ll gladly help.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ll give it a go, give me the weekend to come up with something.:wink:

5 Likes