ARM25: Silver Jubilee Showoff!

Mons Customs

Introducing the

AMM Sarek "Max Capone"

Dear Ms. Holbrook,

Please accept this letter as our formal offer to restomod your beloved '79 AMM Sarek. We understand the significance of this car and what it means to you. We have made every attempt to address your needs and desires with this restomod rebuild.

As you immediately see from the first image, we took the liberty to strip down the AMM Sarek to the last screw and bolt, and rebuilt a completely new car on the bare chassis. As per your instructions, the new panels are also constructed out of aluminium, making for a strong yet lightweight car.

CONCEPT

We asked ourselves: what if Al Capone lived in the world of Mad Max? Or perhaps, what if Al Capone was Mad Max? What would his car look like?

Well, of course it would be elegant and stylish. But also a bit brutal and imposing. Perhaps it would have some body modifications and protections disguised as artistic elements. That is what we strived to achieve with this build. Based on a '30s luxury convertible coupe, we gave it a black-out brushed aluminium finish, textured metal plate accents, aggressive side-pipes, and many more quirky elements that bring the whole together into a unique yet coherent package that is guaranteed to attract attention.

ENGINEERING

The engineering of the car started with a blank slate. We only retained the original chassis of the Sarek; everything else you see on the car is brand new. First we fitted our replica Chevy LS5 engine in the chassis - you can’t go wrong with the rumble of a naturally aspirated big-block V8. We mated it to a modern 8-speed gearbox and AWD drivetrain. Combined with air suspension this car is comfortable, stable, and just a dream to drive.

CREATURE COMFORTS

Not only did we make sure that the car is mechanically as good as it can be, we also prioritized drivability, but most of all we made sure that the car provides extreme levels of comfort and has the best fit and finish inside and out. The interior is completely hand-made and features a modern luxury HUD system; its design is retro-modern, reflecting the car’s exterior aesthetic. Given the car’s use in Australia, we thought an open-top would add enhanced enjoyment, so we built the car with a fully hidden automatically retractable soft-top.

In summary, we aimed to build a truly unique car with a quirky concept design, but one that is practical enough for daily use if you choose.

Ms. Holbrook, I hope you find our proposal intriguing, and we at Mons Customs look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Mons Customs

15 Likes

Now that’s a good looking interior!

2 Likes

RHANIA
From Portugal, To The Heart
:portugal:

Lisbon, Portugal :portugal: - 2020

3 Likes
Sparky T's Customs Super Sarek

Hello Gia, those of us here at Sparky T's Customs have come up with a proposal for your old AMM Sarek. You see, we thought it be best if you truly set yourself apart from the crowd, to stand out in the most outrageous way. To perhaps be a little...bozo. That is why we have gone for a rather bosozoku inspired build.

To start off, we dropped the truck, a lot, and replaced the old off-road oriented solid axles for a more modern double wishbone/multilink setup. We also swapped in a set of big vented disc brakes all around, a six speed manual transmission, air bags with adaptive shocks and sway bars, and sport spec 15 inch wheels and tires.

As you can see, the body has been heavily modified to fit the aesthetic. The AMM has been turned into a convertible for some top down fun. A rad wide body kit, shrouded grill and lights, massive chin spoiler, custom rear deck, retro decals, and a star shaped exhaust to finish it off.

Inside you will find a hand made interior, trimmed in violet, white, and gray cloth and leather. Modern touch sensitive infotainment screens provide access to satellite radio, Apple Car Play or Android Auto, navigation, dual zone climate control, as well as lane assist and lunch control. We even threw in some fuzzy dice for good measure!

But the Super Sarek isn’t all show. Under the bonnet you will find that the original inline six has been replaced by a three and a half 24 valve DOHC unit fitted with a turbocharger. This fuel injected mill puts out 537 horsepower and 614 foot pounds of torque. This propels this SUV to a 4.4 second 0-60, low 12 second quarter mile, and goes on to a top speed of a limited 186 mph.

If you choose our shop to go through with this build, our estimates bring the total to $61,500 AMU. We look forward to hearing what it is you decide!

3 Likes

Entries are now closed! Bunch of you haven’t posted here in the thread, feel free to make a post or not, I’ll still judge your cars. I’ll make a full list of entries later, gotta head to work now.

THE FIREY PITS OF BIN HELL!

Bins, bins, gotta love bins! The rules are there at the start of the post, set out to follow, and now we just see who followed them, so…

I have received entries from:

(Got you with the ping there, didn’t I?)

Of these, five are theoretically binnable for some reason or another. Riley submitted a little late. Hi just named his engine family “CHONKY”. happyfireballman just used HFBM in his family and model. Flash and Mikon both put negative values into both suspension fields in advanced trim, despite being able to lower the car more in engineering.

I’m going to review all of them. No, really.

I don’t particularly care to punish a late entry, I was at work anyway and stuff happens. The two mis-named entries are still clear enough on who entered them. Both entries with the suspension offsets do need that, so maybe they just misread the rule (and they’re pretty low anyway). I’m in a good mood, and I wanna judge.

10 Likes

But Why?

All the cars in this section make a compromise that, well, does not really need to be made. Two of them are about 40-45k, but have about 36 comfort. That’s around double the base Sarek, but it’s still not quite the territory the brief wanted. It’s premium, but not what the buyer wants with this budget - and some other entries actually delivered. The thing is, there wasn’t anything stopping you from bumping up the quality slider or parts selections in your interiors. No PU or ET limit, and you all have plenty of spare budget. So… Why?

The third is more expensive, but has less comfort. Oof.

The parties inevitably died down a little. Gia ended up buying a nice big penthouse apartment with some of the cash, investing the some of rest of it in mind-numbing but safe government bonds. Day by day, the modding firms she had contacted submitted their ideas for the car…

AMM Sarek Rhania Hunter by @happyfireballman

Gia started by opening up the entry from Rhania. Apparently the car brand had its own modding house? Who would have guessed! They wanted to swap out the engine… And make it a little smaller? Sure, the new engine was made of magnesium but… Was it really worth moving the mounts for? Didn’t seem like it, really, couldn’t they just upgrade what was there?

Looking over the spec sheet, Gia sees some elements she is cautious of. Those coil springs are still there on both ends. Those absolutely massive tyres use a similar offroad compound to before. The ride quality promises to be, uh… Not that much better than the original. Sure, a padded, luxury interior does make it a bit more comfortable than the original but, well… When Gia sees the price tag, she is a little let down. Sure, they spent on improving the interior but they didn’t go above and beyond. At only 41,100, they left a lot on the table.

Three words came from her lips when she saw the renders. Three words with a mixture of contempt and befuddlement that sunk the entry. “Is that it?” The entry had new side skirts and fender flares… And that was about it. The renders didn’t even look good, the skirt not quite lining up with the flares. Looking to the interior, she was a little impressed on the front - it looked like a luxury sedan, for sure… but it fell apart as she went towards the rear, able to see under the door cards in the render. Is that it?

Suffice to say, she tosses the entry away. Boring and compromised comfort? That’s the opposite of what she asked for.

AMM Sarek by LMJ Design by @Knugcab

Okay then, next entry… But a cup of coffee first, right? After that disappointment, she needs it to wake herself back up. Of course, any drowsiness is wiped away when she sees the renders of what LMJ Design can do. The car looks like it was pieced together with whatever loose scrap they had laying around the shop. The front end looks like it was pulled from a completely different car, or three. The door cards look like they are made of licence plates. It’s rusted, it’s shot to pieces, it’s scrappy, it’s amazing…

It has an outdated entertainment system, the seats aren’t as padded as they could be to save weight, the interior just doesn’t fit. It looks like it’d be as comfortable as, uh, a premium-ish sedan? Maybe as many issues as the Rhania when you add them all up, things just don’t look like they’ll be as nice to use, as compatible and advanced. The priorities are all weird, it doesn’t quite fit for her, it doesn’t work. They have replaced the engine here too, sticking with an inline six too… But at least it’s bigger, so there is a reason. Like the Rhania, they just haven’t spent enough time and money here. It’s just 44200, she is fine to spend more.

Ultimately… Gia moves on. There’s plenty of other striking submissions, plenty of others she likes. The aesthetics might be one of the best she has seen, but it just… it’s just not there. She wants to spend her money, she wants to have something nice. This isn’t enough.

AMM Sarek by TreadKillers UnShackled 01 by @Mikonp7

After two disappointingly-engineered cars, Gia needs a break. Gia decides to start with the renders, to start it off well. The next entry is unquestionably a Sarek, that’s for sure… And she can’t quite place it. It has the ornamentation and street appeal of a car from Underground, but it looks more authentic in its race appeal… and it looks more modern too. A mixture of the early aughts, the present day and some timeless elements? Looks nice, looks nice. And she has those lines stuck in her head as she goes out to a local track to try out some of the latest and greatest in track toys. Cars she had only ever seen in games. Fast cars, cars that sit at the top of the tree.

And when she gets back, she realises why she has never seen them in real life, being driven around. Why they live on tracks and in garages and not on the road. Because those stiff suspensions and spartan interiors aren’t really particularly comfortable. Well, maybe her new Sarek will be more… Nope, never mind, not if she goes with Treadkillers. Sporty, race-style suspension? A light-weight, optimised interior? After the experience with the track toys… It’s just not there. She honestly finds herself wondering if it will even be more comfortable than the car currently is. And in the 51,200 dollar budget, well, she can’t see if they have done enough to make it better. The longer she looks, the more certain she is that it’s less comfortable than the car already is. She asked for more comfort though. What happened?

10 Likes
FEATURES
Completely custom designed/fabricated buggy body and rollcage
820hp naturally aspirated 10L V8
4.8s 0-60
Active suspension
Handbuilt cabin with chocolate Connolie leather and forged carbon inserts
2 Likes

Further Evaluation

(OOC: In this round, I’ll look at the other six entries. Some will be binned, some will be brought forward… Let’s go!)

DHP Mephistopheles by @Danicoptero

After rejecting the TreadKillers entry, Gia opened the next one and… “Did they send me the correct render? THis looks like something a stupid kid would make in GTA, jeez…” The Mephistopheles is many things, but tasteful is, uh… Maybe not one of them… Neither is legal. When I was checking for legality, I missed that it costs 68700 (thanks to an engine swap, all 5 body change penalties and a double suspension swap.)

It’s a caricature of itself though. It’s too far. The rims were never going to work. 15 degrees of camber were guaranteed to get you in trouble, those wheels would be immediately damaged. The interior is only barely there and the 3-seat rear row doesn’t match the engineering, which shows 2 seats in that row.

[OOC: Rip, missed a bin. Needless to say, it does not make it any further and wouldn’t if it was legal. It’s a shame, there was some legitimately good engineering besides the camber.]

AMM Sarek by Mons Customs by @cake_ape

The next one gets opened up… “Was some factory having a sale on these panels or something?” The Sarek by Mons bears more than a passing similarity to the DHP, for sure. It certainly looks like they both share a common supplier, that much is clear on a simple glance… But Mons has done a decent amount more with those common parts, adding more ornamentation atop it. The proposal says that they mixed elements of Mad Max but, well… The brutal and imposing elements don’t quite land for Gia. It looks like a fancy, artistic 30s convertible but the apocalyptic elements are largely down to the side exhausts and the fine details that need to be studied. Gia has some potential issues with the design, but they’re not enough to sink it just yet. What it does have is an impeccable attention to the interior. It’s designed to coddle its occupants, with a massive portion of the budget used on its interior, plus soft, advanced suspension… It only just squeezes into the budget, but it’d be worth it. It makes it through to the next round, where it will be scrutinised further.

Sunset Garage Sarek “Sandblaster” by @HelloHi

A third entry that completely replaces everything in the car, not even recognisable as a Sarek. Gia looks it over, rather interested at the open top, exposed engine, the beautiful hand-made interior… The car doesn’t seem as cohesive as the other two, but it does look a lot more unique. The rear looks like a modern sports car, the front looks like… Hang on… Where are the indicators? Where are the headlights? Where’s the license plate? This is a car that can only be driven on private roads. Maybe some remote beach or similar would work for it but… It’s such a shame to be unable to drive this places.

[OOC: Oops. Missed another bin. Rip! It’s a real shame, the engineering is sweet here. Luxury HUD, Hand-Made Interior, all manner of goodies… Steel wheels, I guess for off-road?]

Zephorus Racing Design by @Riley

Of all the entries, this is certainly one of the most eyecatching… And one of the more legally questionable. Is the license plate visible enough to be legal? Are the lights and indicators legal, is it even legal so have the headlights and taillights behind the front wheels? The more she looks at it, however, the more concerned she is by the level of attention to detail - and the more she starts to think that it may well not be legal. The driveshaft goes through the bumper and the license plate. The front suspension is mounted to nothing. She would either have to step on the exhaust pipes or right in front of the exhaust outflow to get in and out. The front and rear have mismatched plates… And then there’s the engineering. It looks less comfortable than the Rhania and the LMJ, thanks to racecar suspension. That’s not good. Why is it so expensive? It just fails on plenty ot different levels, runs into too many issues. It will not continue forward.

(OOC - I’m not sure that +8 body quality was really good value for money here tbh… But really, your styling probably would have caused issues already. It’d be a maintenance nightmare, and I did mention that I didn’t want to see tons of Auto jank - which this has.)

Sparky T’s Customs Super Sarek by @Maverick74

“Fuck. Yeah.” Here it is. Bold, brash, colourful and expressive. It’s a fun, bright car that is guaranteed to get attention, what’s not to love? It’s impractical, but that’s the point. It absolutely looks like her Sarek, that’s for sure… But what about the engineering then? They’ve swapped in a bored-out version of the engine and stapped a monster turbo onto it. The car somewhat falls down in the interior department, with a last-gen entertainment system. It includes a roof, allegedly, but you apparently need to put it up yourself. In fact, there’s a decent amount of potential issues but Gia doesn’t noticed them. She has already put it in the shortlist of potential cars to buy because it’s cool. Having four seats is a nice touch too, it makes for a fun car to drive in along with plenty of friends.

LG Sarek “Lowroader” by @Ch_Flash

Last one in the list… And certainly not least. As the sun starts to go down and Gia nears the end of her ability to look through cars, she opens a car that just oozes effortless cool and charisma. Can a van be cool? Yes, and this is how… “Wait a minute, they got their numbers wrong. The renders show five seats, but they only budgeted for two! What the heck? And these massive speakers don’t have a properly sophisticated system behind them, hm…” Despite everything that seems wrong… Gia just can’t tear her eyes away from it. It joins the entries from Mons and Sparky T’s in the shortlist. It looks like it belongs in a classic west coast music video. Still A.M.M?

I have a lot more comments on the Lowroader, the Mons and the Super Sarek… But that’s what the next round is for. There’s, uh… Interesting stuff going on.

4 Likes

Did you try using the Automation lighting system? Headlights and indicators (both front and side) are there. They’re in the light bar to the sides of the grille. Only thing missing should be a front plate.

2 Likes

I completely missed them, apologies there… But the front license plate was specified as required, and I’m not sure if those lights are visible enough to be legal, but that’s neither here nor there as it’s already illegal imo.

:man_shrugging: ok then

Didn’t even mention the service costs smh.

But yeah I agree this might be the worst car I’ve ever made. I had an idea to make something cool, but it was above my skill level so I ended up sending this shitpost of a car. Also, it seems I misunderstood how the penalties work.

1 Like

The whole reason I have a step there is to get in and out :sob:

Anyway, fair bin, I put very little effort into this, true. I’m surprised you were so caring about the realism side considering what you’re asking for. Good luck to the rest of the competitors!

FINALS, OR: A MINOR INTERRUPTION

Let’s take a moment to step back, out of character, and look at the stats of the remaining three entries, shall we? Specifically, comfort and drivability…

Left: Lowrdoader by @Ch_Flash. Middle: Mons by @cake_ape. Right: Super Sarek by @Maverick74

The Mons has 81 Drivability and 78 Comfort. The Lowroader has 67 Drivability and 51 Comfort. The Super Sarek has 72 Drivability and 40 Comfort. The order in pure stats is clear here, right? Mons, then Lowroader, then Super Sarek? Well… Not quite.

According to the game, the Mons has over 2000L of passenger volume. Nope. The game bases that on the outline of the original Sarek, but the cabin fits entirely inside the original Sarek. That is responsible for like 5 points of the comfort advantage over the Super Sarek. It’s similar for the Lowroader - that “phantom” second row keeps interior volume calculations favourable. (More on that later) The Super Sarek, meanwhile, with its 2 actual rows gets a penalty for not being spacious enough. Where else does the Super Sarek lose out? Well, by having too much torque and by using a manual rather than an Automatic. The torque costs about another 10 comfort to both others, and the gearbox (shared with the Lowroader) costs an eye-watering 15 points. Using infotainment instead of a HUD (despite having spare budget) is the final bit that gets you, it’s only small though.

So, the Super Sarek is uncomfortable because it kicks too much ass, because it has 4 seats and because it uses a stick shift. There’s been a lot of discussion about the torque penalty kinda sucking, and manuals are just like that at the moment… I am at a crossroads. Do I change the rules in the final part of judging to rebalance stats, or do I take the game as it stands? The Super Sarek is probably equal to the Lowroader once I bonk those spaciousness bonuses, but the Mons is still on top unless I rewrite stuff and pull the rug out from under Cake - he did make engineering decisions to maximise the requested stats, after all. It’s hard, but I think I have to keep that advantage for fairness. Such is life.

Okay, what about styling? Let’s go with the Mons and, as I implied before, this one doesn’t exactly rank highly. Something about it just, well, bugged me… And I think it really comes down to two things. First, there is the elephant in the room: It’s not a Sarek. This is a replica of some old car built atop a Sarek chassis. How do I judge it? How does it fit into the challenge? The core concept of the challenge isn’t, well… this but I did allow it by the rules. Far more substantially, however, is the fact that, well… The other two entries (and plenty of the binned ones) honestly hit the aesthetic brief better. Plenty of people missed the engineering brief with their premium infotainment and sports interiors… But how does this car look from, say, 10 meters out? It looks classic, dignified, refined… Normal. The Mad Max stuff is in the textures, the small details like having that plate in front of the grille. That impression from a distance a massive priority, and uh… This one just looks normal. It’s great quality, it’s amaaingly executed, with perfect attention to detail, but it’s just not the brief. Compare it to the inspirations if you’d like. Why am I keeping it out of character? Well…

[Other Two]

To: Mons Sales, [REDACTED FOR SUSPENSE]
Subject: Sarek Restomod

Hey all! Just wanted to check in, see how y’all feel about an idea I have. The Mons and the ████████ both caught my eye for different reasons. I really like the engineering work you did over at Mons, the car looks super comfortable but… I dunno, it just doesn’t look like a Sarek, you know? It doesn’t have, uh, “it” if that makes sense? The ████████, meanwhile, has great design but the folks over at Mons really set the bar high with the engineering, you know? So I was wondering if you two would wanna collaborate on it, work together and make the car together, Mons engineering and ████████ design, what do you say? I get that it might up the price a bit but I reckon it’s worth it and I have the spare change…

That’s the, uh… That’s the in character result. Gia asks the two companies to work togeth, picking the best of both. I mean, why not? She can easily pay it. I know that this isn’t how the challenge works, there needs to be a winner - that’ll be picked OOC, because I feel that this is an interesting conclusion. Of course, I did redact out some bits of the email so…

Some hours earlier.

“Well, the Mons is impressive under the hood but… I need to pick a design. Not going something off the shelf like that Mons, what about these other two I set aside? Lowrider or Super Sarek? Japan or the West Coast? Hm…” Gia opens up her phone, intending to look at other cars to really get the culture of the two. Then a message comes in and distracts her, but she gets back to the task at hand. Then someone sends her a cute animal gif but… “Okay, Gia, back on track. Let’s make a nice list of the pros and cons of each design.”

LowroaderSuper Sarek
Pros:
  • Wings are cool
  • Big speaker is fun
  • Modern headlights are pretty sweet, are they sequential?
Neither:
  • Classy and understated, not as attention grabbing
  • Fender flares and wing feels more racy than cruisy, but wheels and speaker say low and slow
Cons:
  • No side windows for the rear seat, only small window for the speaker.
  • Roof Scoop
Pros:
  • Stands out in a crowd, no doubt about that - bright colours help
  • A convertible is super super cool, especially with no hard panels above the seats.
  • Mixes in wingadinga elements, making it stand out even among among bosozoku (I hope?)
  • Decals are punk af
Neither:Cons:
  • Stock Front/Rear lights

"Well, when I write it down like that… There’s a lot more I like about the Super Sarek than I dislike, and it just… It just feels better, y’know?

But who wins? Who gets priority in hosting the next round? We aren’t done yet, no. I’ll be posting a final breakdown and ranking, detailing the final podium order and why I feel it plays out that way, plus the lower positions too.

6 Likes
  1. @Danicoptero, DHP Mephistopheles - Bottom of the bins. It's crazy, because this *could* have competed with the Mons. But that camber and those rims, well... You had it coming. Completely removing every panel and not keeping the shape gave you every one of the penalties, that's probably where you got hit.
  2. @Mikonp7, AMM Sarek by Treadkillers - I count sub-stock comfort as a big enough offence to go here, with the rest of the bins. A clear middle between the other two.
  3. @HelloHi, Sunset Garage Sarek "Sandblaster" - Great but binned, it just had too many elements of dubious legality.
  4. @happyfireballman, AMM SAREK RHANIA HUNTER - YOU SENT IT IN ALL CAPS SO YOUR REVIEW IS ALL CAPS HERE, IT'S BORING AS ALL HELL! YOU WANT TO STAND OUT HERE, THAT'S A SIX STAR PRIORITY! Amusingly, this entry actually lets down the Rhania reputation - only two other entries have less power, although Knug does only squeeze an RTX 4090 worth of power on it. You lose on the drag strip a bunch too, and the skidpad, and...
  5. @Riley, Zephorus Racing Design - You didn't name it, but this is waaaaay beyond realism, not particularly comfortable and it has a bit too much jank. Not a bin bin, but plenty of issues... It still has enough style to put it ahead of the Rhania. Just.
  6. @Knugcab, AMM Sarek by LMJ Design - Not comfortable enough for a podium position. It absolutely *nailed( the brief, ten out of ten on that and I would have loved to see it with better engineering. Perhaps in-character, Gia would have gone for LMJ rather than Sparky T's... But it isn't quite right to have that for a non-podium car.
  7. @Ch_Flash, LG Sarek "Lowroader" - Am I running into a cognitive bias here? Maybe. The thing is, it's not quite as stylish as the Super Sarek, and it doesn't quite have the stats of the Mons... But it's not really better-statted enough to beat the Super Sarek, and still looking like a Sarek doesn't put it in front of the Mons. So, here it is, in third. Good job, and it does ooze charisma like I said... But being loud and brash is worth more than being slick, I think? It's still a great entry.
And the winner is...

Well, now for the hard bit. I dodged the question before, didn’t I? I said you both win, but that isn’t a real answer, is it? Someone neeeds to host next, and that’s just how ARM works. Ultimately, the question is a matter of perspective, I think. How important is authenticity, if it’s not actually written down? Does the Mons deserve to get punished for its trying something radical, punished so hard that it drops down despite leading the field in comfort and drivability?

No, I don’t think it does. No, I don’t think that these issues are bigger than perfectly engineering the car for the priorities. I don’t think they’re bigger than knowing how to work all the levers, especially given that the car is impeccably made - just not what was in the inspirations is all. Is leaving the inspirations behind such a crime? Is missing a priority not in the brief such a crime? I don’t want it to be.

The winner is @cake_ape, the runner-up is @Maverick74.

8 Likes

walter-white-breaking-bad

3 Likes

Yee haw! Thanks for hosting another fun round @AMuteCrypt! The final verdict was pretty unexpected and I get why it was such a hard decision for you. You handled the OOC/IC portions neatly and in an original way and made it a fun read.

Stay tuned for the next round to be up very shortly!

3 Likes

Oh, a new cake round? Nice to see you back at hosting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes