Assembling and testing the machine

Of course this little car was a '79 Blah era car. Let’s see what Ring Killer can do. I’ll send the file when I’m on my PC tomorrow

1 Like

I experienced the thunderous Kill Ring, but was greatly dissatisfied with it.
On BeamNG it showed extremely poor handling, and I had to spend more than one attempt to pass a short GP.
The only merit of the FMC Kill Ring car is the high-performance, track-optimized engine. But I suspect the engine revs could have been raised a bit from their 7000 rpm. This was the decision made by our committee.
Of course, FMC would not refuse a higher rpm engine, but the physical limitations of Automaton Unreal Engine 4.27 do not allow to build super-powered motors in such competence.
Let’s move on to the disadvantages.
On its own, the drivetrain and bodywork are extremely improperly tuned, despite FMC’s best efforts.

It can be compared to the Ferrari 328 GTO, which we recently copied. Now, the Ring Killer justify its name. Only it is not the race track itself, which is ready to melting under the whp and wheel lb-ft, but the driver himself who decides to drive the whole distance. I myself would get out of the cockpit of this racecar after three turns.
Despite for aproximated to life-like simulation, Ring Killer is became not only better, but rather the worst.
It does not create death traps like Ferrari 328 GTO, but driving it is a real torment.
Nevertheless, this was a good attempt, and in time FMC will start to be able to make a better adaptation of Automation ► BeamNG.
For my part, I will say that there was taken an extremely risky bodywork, and to be able to build a high-class race car based on it body - is to prove yourself as a genius designer.

Oh yes, I forgot to specify the record NB GP Strecke - it was 01:53:609.
Full lap FMC Ring Killer hypothetically could pass in 06.49.00, which is faster than the time I announced 07:30:00, but it is unlikely that the player will have the patience to overcome this time. Or at best, he would claim 07:35:00.

(Translated as I was could)

She handles good for me, could be the method of controlling / gamepad, etc and what you’ve elected to do with speed/steering angle sensitivity in Beam. One has to keep in mind that the 1100+ HP is moments away because the turbines are relatively small, which benefits the response rate but does nothing for available traction if the boost comes on mid-corner. The only way to keep it under control is to modulate the throttle carefully at every corner. I will say that its predecessor (naturally aspirated) was much more tractable, and could drift better, while this one just relies on brute force. That’s not my preference, but is IS the faster way around the 'Ring.

Re: the engine, it is tapped out without resorting to cranking “Quality” sliders or losing reliability. 8 liters can’t spin up too fast without tossing a rod, even Titanium ones.

If its a bad car, I’ll gladly take the file of a “good” car for direct comparison. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, I’ve already maded a test build based on your build and it turned out better.
Indeed, the Ring Killer belongs to those race cars that like twitchy handling.
That is, you have to constantly flick buttons/gamepad to keep the lane.
For my 270 degree steering wheel and level driving style this car can’t get many points.

Sending you an example of an improved build. It’s not perfect, but I disliked your car so much that I immediately decided to find out what’s wrong with it.
Oh yes, I forgot to tell you that it racecar has extremely long braking distance in BeamNG.
I can describe the car itself as passive, long and dangerous.

Once again, be warned that this type of body is for establishmently and confidently designers.

These points make sense to me, Kalan. Use of a wheel will completely change the behavior on a track. Use of filters (even with a wheel) will totally change the experience. I am not getting the twitchy feel when I drive it, but I know it could be better for Beam. I’m working on a project with a different body style that hopefully runs in Beam better. Also, what ESC level do you drive with? I leave it on Comfort or Sport, but never off with this car.
Take care,

1 Like

What type of inputs are the both of you using?

I’d say one can only judge only if identical material is being used by both?

Idk, just a suggestion.

@kalan send that .car file to @Lanson to see if he/she can turn out a better time like you did…and to see said “improvements”…

Post the the .car file here and let’s all chime in…

I’m definitely happy to do that, also based on Kalan’s suggestions (I think…there’s some Google Translation tough sections) this body style…I think it’s the 2010ish Ultima type, he said it’s not for beginners. I’m not sure what that means but I’ve been working on a newer supercar that maybe will work better. The Nurburgring is a treacherous course no matter what I drive through there. I wreck often. I use a ps4 controller running through ds4windows to beamng.

I had a chance to download and run Kalan’s modified version of my “Ring Killer” car. I must say, it got around very nicely, even on a gamepad. It pushed some more in the corners but that also kept its butt planted on some of the more treacherous sections of a few tracks I tried, which is great. So, GREAT job Kalan, well done. What is clear to me is that what Automation says makes a good car is not what Beam turns into a good car. I think we all know that, but exactly what the differences are could be a study in its own right. Here’s some things I noticed when comparing the tunes:

Kalan added a lot of spring and damper, compared with where I stopped, which was the theoretical 100% for Sports driving in Automation. He added a lot more spring and damper to the front, even though the car is rear-biased in weight… He took the camber to 0.0 front and rear (which is weird, right?), and also cut the front tire size down to 280mm which I had way over that, while the rear remained 395mm. That probably is where the push is coming from, and maybe its worth trying a few bits of extra contact patch up front to try and get more neutrality. The brakes were also brought up way off the charts compared with reported grip, which makes Automation “mad” but Beam reports as “better brakes”, and it works well.

So, its all very interesting. In the meantime, I’ve been working on an updated track car, this one probably could use some love but it handles MUCH better right out the box, and IMO looks nicer too. I have it in N/A V10, N/A V8, and TT I6 builds and all of them push over 1000HP, but my favorite is the V8. FMC_Supercar_4_-_TrackReady_V8.car (25.5 KB)

Side-comment, anybody’s Ray Tracing mode in photo mode not working so good after the latest update? Seems I can’t turn it on, can’t drop my frame rate to like 1FPS (with a 2070 Super), but also can’t get those sweet reflections.

Anyway, Kalan you’ll probably drop the front tire some to drop the rotation from the front for your wheel, but I was hoping for something that carved better than the RK did, and this one definitely does. Max top speed is higher, and I guess if we wanted to, we could get even more power by turbocharging the 8 or 10. I also tried a massive V12 but it sounds atrocious in Automation, like an air drill grinding a bearing.

Oh and the old RK Kalan tuned is here.
FMC_Ring_Killer_tuning_-_FMC_Ring_Killer_tuning.car (23.6 KB)

Lots of fun to work with everyone on this.

3 Likes

Yes I agree, the handling of this racecar is many times better than the Ring Killer. Making race cars is an extremely serious and complex mission, so I can’t say that Supercar 4 Track Ready is a flawless model.
It, like many Italian models, pulls you in very well due to its beautiful design, but on the track it turns out that not everything in the car is perfect and there are too many uncounted defects. I like this particular model a lot just like the Ferrari 360 Modena, which is very good as a sports car, but definitely not capable of being a Ring Killer. It, too, has many compromises, including outdated RWD. It is good for entertainment and status, but I’m sure that Ferrari is a very far to the German cars. Except in the F1 discipline.
FMC Supercar 4 Track Ready flaws revealed:

• The car has a tendency to turn around at speed. This is not fiction, it can happen in real life.
  • Insufficiently correct brake balance. This leads to the fact that the car when braking begins to sway from side to side.
  • Overall poor traction.
  • It has the effects of a floating boat.

I have checked under normal and improved conditions in Beam. With Traction Control off and on. I am could not be beat the Ring Killer record, and there is no desire to do that.

Verdict: better in some ways, worse in others, but it is the same level of Ring Killer.
A very good car for a beginner.

I forgot to say that with buttons and a gamepad it controls very well, even perfectly.
Of course, I can try to build my own car based on this body, but it will be a completely different car.

Kalan,

I think the tendency for the new model to want to swap ends in specific situations is due to front end lift. How can this be prevented without stuffing in an invisible wing, or is that the only option?

Regarding brake balance, are you biasing towards the rear or front to compensate? What I did was raise the brake pressure equally beyond Automation’s grip marker front and rear, and then added a couple % up in the front just as a precaution to prevent locking the rear, but maybe it should go the other way?

Regarding the “boatlike” handling (which i do not sense when I drive it), are you attributing that to a relatively soft suspension? Not soft in Automation terms of course.

Perhaps it is because Automation is targeting a normal audience vs. a racer setup. And even the “checkered flag” optimization is still too soft for Beam and how it models cars.

Worth mentioning I have to turn on simple physics for the cars when I race, with many cars. Otherwise, parts of the car tend to crash into other parts and make god-awful noises and movements, screwing up the handling at speed. Do you turn that setting on or off with your tests? I had one car that the suspension arm contacted something on braking and would lock up the front end, causing crashes, until I found that setting.

1. I think the wobbling car is proceeds due to too powerful engine and the huge half-slick tyres, creating too much grip and the car wanting to roll up over at speed. The default setting in BeamNG seems to threaten be a usual drift. Yes, maybe this is due to the very soft suspension.
  2. I have tested your car with the steering wheel and comfort ESC so that there is the maximum level of safety.
  3. Yes, brake tuning is a real art. If you put too much forward, the car will skid, if backwards - imbalance in the corner, if you put the brakes too much forward, it will flip, it will do a somersault. It isn’t seem to me that Into Beam Braking balance adjustable for cars from Automation, but I believe the brakes should be set correctly from the factory.
    I roughly add +8% to the front weight of the weight distribution, tried it out in practice - no skidding when braking from high speed. So when the game added percentages for each pair of brakes, it complicated my calculations.
  4. the floating boat effect occurs if you install soft suspension. But the balance is also important here. I have learned to adjust the suspension for about 20 of my car, so there is a lot to learn here. If you make it too stiff, the ride becomes like a stool, if you make it too soft, it becomes a floating boat. Combined with a low tyre profile, it also feels like drums. As they say, lower suspension and bigger wheels are not always better! Sometimes it turns out, that some charged fastback goes better, than initially developed race car with GT1 body form from the beginning to the end.
    Yes, Beam has a good sensitivity to tyre type. I don’t know why, but the wheels from Automation have slightly less grip than the manually assembled programmer - like mod.
  5. I turn on full physics and I almost never have problems with the levers hitting the road. It’s definitely a very important setting, seems to affect performance, but I haven’t found it to be of much useful.
    In particular, on a slowish NB I set the resolution to HD and lower the anisotropic filtering. I have to do this for cars with over 1400 horsepower - this unoptimized map slows down a lot when the wheels slip.

Now, if anyone has new records, I can put them on the leaderboard.
The terms of confirmation are the same:

1. Start the race through the passaging of the manually assignated checkpoint.
  2. Race selection via BeamNG interface.
  3. Presence of a screenshot of the interface or a short passages record.

Remember, this map has a route for the bots, so they can see where they are going.