COMPANY HISTORY

W.I.P.

CURRENT LINEUP

W.I.P.

DISCONTINUED VEHICLES

W.I.P.

NEWS

W.I.P.

OOC INFORMATION - not much is written about the company history yet, but I felt that I needed a thread to dump the Saarland vehicles in to get some structure. It is, of course, supposed to be a German company, headquarters located in Neunkirche in the region of Saarland, Germany. Expect more to come in the future, I don’t want to rush this, though.

4 Likes

MODEL OVERVIEW: SAARLAND VITAL
The Vital is the smallest model in the Saarland lineup, and was introduced in 1983 as a smaller alternative to the Saarland Adjunkt. It has stayed true to the same formula since that, a front wheel drive, subcompact hatchback, even if some generations also had sedan bodies available.

Generation 1 1983-92
bild

Generation 2 1993-00

Generation 3 2001-06
bild

Generation 4 2007-14
bild

Generation 5 2015-19
bild

Generation 6 2020->
bild

5 Likes

For customers on very tight budgets, the Vital clearly lives up to its name - it’s basic transportation, nothing more, but it’s quite good at what it does, which is being small, cheap and economical to run.

1 Like

Thanks. It should be stated that the gen 2 shown is the 1998 facelift since it was created for the current CSR set in 1998, so that’s why it looks a little bit too modern for 1993. (Still have to design the prefacelift though, but backdating it should not be too much of a struggle I think)

1 Like

MODEL OVERVIEW: SAARLAND AMBROSIA
The Ambrosia was a large rear wheel drive executive car that replaced the long running Saarland Bischof in 1987. When the second generation arrived in 1994, it took over after the Saarland Kardinal (that had been in production since 1939, and that for its two last generations had been based on the Bischof/Ambrosia platform) as Saarland’s flagship.

In 2003, the Ambrosia was discontinued, since the smaller Saarland Polygon now had grown into the territory of the Ambrosia size-wise. That meant the end of rear wheel drive in the Saarland lineup, at least among regular passenger cars.

Generation 1 1987-94

Generation 2 1994½-03
bild

4 Likes

That story has some strong Opel vibes (and I like it) :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I admit drawing some (or lots of) inspiration from Opel, but in a parallell universe, staying as an independent manufacturer, hence being more “european”, also placing it in the Saarland region (which has a quite interesting story as being both french, german and sort of independent until becoming part of Germany in 1959) might have given it some gallic influences too, also might make for an interesting backstory (and complex, I should admit that I didn’t know the complicated history behind the Saarland region when I decided to create the company).

So, we’ll see where this ends up. Not as an Opel ripoff, I hope at least.

3 Likes