Automation Legacy Challenge (SEE NEW THREAD)

How about advanced trim settings for the rear wheel wells? Feels unnecessary to have them intruding far into the back seat on an economy car with narrow 12" wheels which is likely to be my next entry.

If you can’t do it via engineering options, be my guest.

Biggest problem there isn’t so much the wheels as some bodies have huge wheel arches built into the underbody

1 Like

As I said, wheel wells, not wheels.

Some of them have a tubbed pro street look to them more or less.

Exactly, you can’t really hide them. Take the e type body for example, the take up almost 50% of the interior rear section

1 Like

Can we lobby for different styles of taxation (class vs individual calculation), or lobby for certain tax exemptions (light trucks, etc.)?

BMA, short for Belite Manufacture Automobile, was founded in 1950, going along with the 30 glorious, in Grenoble. The company focused on bringing innovation to the market. They did so by developing some engines first: with a range starting from a 1.0L I4 to a 2.4L I6, those engines were very reliable, and had quite a decent amount of power and torque produced: 54 hp and 72 Nm for the 1.0L, those figures climbed to 139 hp and 181 Nm for the 2.4L I6. Those engines were going like hot cakes, so the head of the company proposed in 1952 a design of a car they would produce using this range of engines, and that’s how the Compaq was born. The Compaq, a rear-wheel-drive compact car mounted on a monocoque chassis and wearing a sweet aluminum dress was proposed with five body variations: la commerciale (ute), la commerciale tôlée(van), la Familiale (station-wagon), la Orléans (sedan), and la Dauphiné (Hatchback). With prices starting at 495 000 Francs (1 130 USD) and going up to 870 000 Francs (1 992 USD), the range of customer of this car was quite broad. BMA’s racing team, l’Ecurie Grand Prix, or EGP, took the two inline 6 on the racetrack, and after some modifications, the 2.0L and the 2.4L were producing respectively 152 hp – 164 Nm and 175 hp – 222 Nm. So, you could ask for your newly acquired inline-6 Compaq to be sent to the EGP division, and it returned with some sweet power, a reworked chassis, and you had yourself a boiling machine!

So, the car entering the competition is the Compaq 246 Dauphiné: featuring the 2.4L I6 DOHC-24V, it’s a capable compact car: with a trunk volume of 928L it can hold a lot of goods. Considering this version is aimed towards the premium market, it is equipped with an AM radio and cabin ventilation. On top of these, the car is stuffed with contemporary safety measures, so you can ride with confidence. With a weight of less than 1100 kg, the mighty engine can propel the Compaq from 0 to 100kph in 8.2 seconds and can hold up a top speed of 190kph. This version costs 722 425 Francs, or 1 659 USD.

9 Likes

Seems like it wasn’t possible, mixed it up with the body morphs of some pickups…

Presenting the Courage Conquest MKI!

In an attempt to compete with cars like the Jaguar XK120 and the Aston Martin DB2 Vantage, British car manufacturer Courage has released the 1951 Conquest MKI. This aluminum-paneled beast boasts a 2.8 Liter I-6 that produces 155 horsepower. Mated with a 3-speed Manal, it can reach 60 mph/100 kph in just above 10 seconds and tops out at speeds higher than 125 mph/200 kph! Also containing amenities such as Side Mirrors and Advanced Safety, riders don’t have to worry (as much) when going higher speeds.

The car is released with 5 basic colors, but will be expanded if they get good reception from consumers and critics.
Here at Courage we believe we’ve developed a sports car that’s fun to drive while also being safe enough to drive at those fun speeds. And though it’s somewhat expensive, we think the car’s performance will compensate.

(this is my first ever submission to one of these, but i’m open to critiques and suggestions)

2 Likes

A very high specific output for the time - how did you achieve that?

1 Like

Well, only one way to do it in 1951. Revs and more revs. That thing’s probably running DOHC 4-valve.

1 Like

and it’s probably running something like 8% efficiency

1 Like

You can get like 10.

Now introducing the Chief Motors TYPE 50 Coupe

“Truly a southern delicacy” - Auto Critic 1952

Built in one of the ONLY small retired aircraft factories in the North Georgia (USA) Mountains, The Chief Motors TYPE 50 Coupe is the automobile of your dreams. With an aircraft inspired 3 liter inline 6 engine, this little motor boasts a rocketing 115 Horsepower and 166 ft of torque, scooting you and your lady from zero to 62 in 11.6 seconds! Finding success in the booming post war economy, this prestigious little two seater coupe is making its first limited production run on the world stage with the first 100 units arriving in Araga December of 1951, and when you carry price tag of $12600, only a select few will get to enjoy this little piece of southern charm.

4 Likes

Not a very realistic setup for 1951, although it would be less out of place in 1991. For reference, I am running a 2.5L SOHC 12v I6 developing 100 bhp.

1 Like

“Most of the engine layouts and tech that stood the test of time were available since very early on (Inline 6, DOHC-4… in 1922? No problem!).” - Killrob, Automation FAQ.

I’m sorry guys it’s supposed to be 2.8 not 1.75. IDK if this helps with any confusion but I don’t want confusion to get worse by leaving it.

And to clarify it’s running an SOHC 18v

Ohhh, so 175 cubic inches? Gotcha! 3-valve SOHC is a liiiiitle steep on 1950sroad cars, but they used it in WW2 planes so it’s totally possible.

And, well, to satisfy your request for feedback, you made this car look pretty good. There aren’t any glaring errors; maybe it rides just a bit too high. I like the chrome strip on the hood; you understand the importance of detail and trim on a car.

1 Like

Somboy Mender

Based on the Parapet sedan, with the strut-style front suspension swapped for more utilitarian leafs. Also produced in wagon and van bodystyles. The Parapet shared the engine, transmission, rear axle, most of the bodywork (the Parapet was only available as a fastback sedan or a 4 door wagon), and a lot of the interior. The Mender became one of Somboy’s most iconic models, and as of 2022 is yet to discontinued.

Gallery

8 Likes

Can I ask what this is? Is this another car of the company that I’m unaware of?