BRC 1976 - Under Pressure [E8-Q]

Schack is happpy about reaching finally the podium, a wonderfull 2nd place at the track of all the tracks, the Nordschleife. Gratulating @HowlerAutomotive for the win today and for winning the BRC1976 season.

Karma is a bi***. Even in BRC. Been there, done that.

The more complicated the software, the higher the probability of bugs. We can be all happy, that Martin and the commentators are creating a wonderfull opportunity to get together on sunday evenings with the community. Let’s not destroy that.

4 Likes

What a season! Going from shitty mid-pack car in 66 to top contender… what a blast! Congrats to Howler and mer_at! I have a bit of a long face because I was going to win this race (and than 2 extra stops happened) but fu*k it, worse stuff have happened to people. My top 5 goal was accomplished :grin:

Massive kudos to you @Der_Bayer! Thanks a lot for making this thing possible, I have been looking forward to (especially) building, every testing, qually and race. If I meet you some day, bier is on me.

I feel sorry for mer_at, that is no way to loose a championship. But to react in such manner seems a bit over the top. Yes there are bugs that are screwing around but that is not professional-paid-for software so in my book no one is obliged to solve anything. If you like it you play it if you don’t your loss.

Thanks to grup of commentators for making races feel more real and especially more entertaining. If there will be an option, I might join you some day to try it out, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Well I hope the talks for 80something will begin soon, I promise I’ll do everything to be there :wink: Maybe sprint cars? WRC? dtm? oh the possibilities…

4 Likes

This looks very intersting, how exactly does one join?
@FrankNSTein Thanks, looks like ive got to do some designing then.

Team FSR wants to thank the organizers of BRC for this interesting season and is excited for '86.

We had ups and downs through our first full season of BRC, but over all went very consistent for a 5th place, which is much better than we expected. The 3rd place finish on the Nordschleife today was a huge success for our new racing team.

@Der_Bayer, I have huge respect for what you created there with BROBOT. I have some programming background myself so I can imagine how hard it is to track down those bugs. Like it was mentioned earlier, if you were taking donations I’d definitely contribute something, even though I don’t have much money myself.

By waiting for the next season or event to be announced and submitting a car :wink:

4 Likes

First and most importantly, a big thank you to @Der_Bayer for building BROBOT and hosting these challenges. Even running a regular community challenge takes up a shocking amount of time, I can only imagine what it is like when you have to develop a real time simulation program, scrutineer and manage strategies for 50+ cars and so on.

The frustration of those who had their race(s) ruined by bugs is understandable, but is no justification to start throwing toys out of the pram and yelling at people. This is not a paid service. Everybody saw that it went wrong. Der_Bayer has said he will try to find and fix it. If you compare the first race of the season and the last one you can see how much the program moved forward - the top 10 view outside of autoscroll, the visual distance indicator under the track window, contact notes instead of crashes. It has clearly been in constant development. I’m sure if the pit bug can be found, it will be fixed. If not, you can imagine one of your pit crew screwed something up. That happens in real life, too.

(Now that I’ve said that I’m sure that’ll happen to me next season. So be it I suppose.)

Big thanks also to the commentators. It is immensely entertaining to have you guys chat over the goings on, especially since my own attention is mostly locked on my car (and I imagine it’s the same for most of us), so it’s good to get a heads up when other interesting stuff is happening elsewhere.

I had been looking forward to BRC 1976 ever since the Hockenheim endurance race (that made me sign up in the first place, but I was too late to join). I was hoping for a good finish here and put a fair bit of work into a NA car before the season, before scrapping it for reasons and stuffing the driver in a turbocharged rocketship at the last minute. It worked out better than I could have hoped for.

I had quite good luck over the season. I had two collisions in the first race and extra pit stops (which were due to my strategy not lining up with the race weather pattern) in the first and second race if I remember correctly. I probably lost some points to mer_at in the race where the sim crashed, as there had been a late safety car and three turbonauts including mine were left running away before it all went blue. I also despaired openly whenever qualifications took place in the rain because my car was consistently in qually point range in the dry, but turned out to be an absolute murderous beast in the damp and the driver was clearly feathering it around. (Just look at the dry practice vs wet qualification standings for Nordschleife) Overall, nothing like some of you had to deal with.

Thank you for the congratulations!

My hat’s off to AirJordan, who built a car similar in principle to what I had tried to do (NA with sport tires) and showed an absolutely blistering pace with it throughout the season. Probably deserved to win the last race by the looks of it. His NA is better than mine would have been, so it’s a good thing I went for the monster.

I think TheBobWiley deserved to end up higher than he did if not for the problems over the season, that was a seriously fast car. Obviously there were lots of other very fast ones around, too.

Condolences to mer_at for the bug. That is no way to lose the championship and should not have happened. It would have been interesting to see the race play out, doubly so when you got unlucky with the crash early on. I suppose we will never know what would have been, but it was a very tense season and a very fast car, so well done on the build.

You had me worried when fortuna kept smiling on you through the season with the coinflip for an engine explosion, you getting no points in one race would have made my position much more secure. Your car was very fast, possibly the fastest on the grid, but it was also the least reliable one by a long margin. As I said, winning because of the bug did not feel good or fair. I would have felt much better with a justified, honest engine blowout. That is not intended as schadenfreude, just that the gamble of a blowout was clearly an inherent part of the design (because had it been possible to make it that fast with higher reliability I’m sure you would have).

Great season, all things considered. On to the eighties! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

BAM, out of commission on the first lap.

Note to self: Make car with very high safety, and tell driver to hit other cars next season.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I visit this page for the first time in what must be six months to find the series has just finished. What an endeavour!

also condolences to mer_at, that is a very inopportune time for such a bug to occur, like a fire breaking out in the pit lane or something. Terrible luck

I feel that the strategy in this competition has taken on an entirely new dimension, above and beyond anything else in Automation. It’s going to be really difficult to get back into it without spending like a hundred hours relearning the simulation. Suppose down the track, i did try… Where does one start???

damn i forget to watch last night stream because im too tired. also i dont expect get 20th position and beat some consitent top 30 contender. i cant comment really much about this year BRC but i hope next year would be a lot better

I was really happy with the result of the final race, 15th is a seasons best!

The irony is that I only had two points finishes this season, one in the first race to hook me in and get me involved and one in the final race so that I’ll definitely come back for the next one!

Last thing to say is a huge thank you, to @Der_Bayer for giving us the tool that makes the BRC so much more than just a forum competition, and to all of the other incredibly hard working commentators who have given up their free time to make the BRC the amazing thing that it is!

I’ll see you guys for the next one!

1 Like

Oh strop… very easy. Just make a car thats as fast as possible :stuck_out_tongue: You can do that, can’t you.
Enter your cars in the pre-tests so see where they land roughly and retune your cars. Then you can also start to think what kind of strategy you want to do/try.

Last I checked (a long time ago), as fast as possible on the normal simulation was still quite different from as fast as possible on this BROBOT system! Figuring out whether that difference still applies would be my first job.

IIRC the current ingame simulation pretty much uses the BROBOT code, except for stuff like driver-errors, fuel and tyre consumption.

Last time I checked you maybe got a bit sloppy with your tuning. Boooooom I’ll see myself out
Just kidding :wink: come back to the dark side where spending countless hours upon what you already spent just seem like a brilliant idea and sort of worth it when you watch them dots cra…khm…race. You know you want that feeling back :grin:

6 Likes

Well that´s certainly not a way to end the championship. :cry:
Don´t get me wrong, @Der_Bayer is making a fantastic job and it is the best thing that could happen to Automation, before I participated this season I watched all the 60s races as well. :smile:

While there will always be some bugs, some of which we could see in the season like running out of petrol in the pits, this pit bug just made the simulation somewhat unplayable. Since this bug was already discovered the race before it would have been better to wait a few more weeks in an attempt to fix this problem.

Also I want to point out that the level of outburst after loosing the championship to this bug is different from culture to culture. The commentators (which did a fantastic job during the season :smile:) pointed out that swearing can get pretty severe in Austria. Being Austrian myself I can understand @mer_at and assure you it wasn´t even overly harsh. He was just venting the obvious frustration.

My personal goal in this season was to get points in every race and finish at least 26th overall so I would still show up on the leaderboard. Up until the second to last race it looked very good, but the pit bug denied me any points in the last two races. That hurt big time since it seemed I would finish top 20 in Mainz-Finthen, at Nordschleife additionaly a strategy bug prevented me from submiting any strategy but that did cost me a 25ish finish as well.

Still it was a thrilling season and I hope I can participate in the next one as well. :grin:
Congratulation to everyone who met their goals and to all the top runners.

For me personally it´s kind of hard congratulating @HowlerAutomotive as the winner of the season because someone could really argue if that kind of situation was within the rules, or if it is morally acceptable to fully count this race and not repeat it considering how much time everyone spends on building their cars. Being stuck in the pits for 4 minutes, which ultimatly decides the championship isn´t a minor bug and sounds kind of overly harsh.

At the end I would like to ask @Der_Bayer two questions:

1. Where can we look for the announcement for next season since I don´t want to miss the pre-season tests like this season
  2. Is it possible to get a final leaderboard for the season which doesn´t stop at 26th but shows all the cars, since I have no idea which place I finally landed on.

Thanks all for a great season, special thanks to @Der_Bayer for making this all possible and hopefully see you all next time :grin:

2 Likes

Before I say anything else, I should repeat that this was not how I wanted to bring the trophy home. A win through an unfortunate event is nowhere near as sweet as one where everything works perfectly behind the scenes.

However, since your post hits a bit close to home on whether it was morally acceptable to count these results at all or for me to win the championship, I feel I should defend the honor of my car.

So I will point out another unfortunate event, which will obviously not make this one any better, but also controlled the placement of many points in the championship standings.

In the original Mainz-Finthen race, just before the client crashed, my car was in second place having just run the fastest last lap of the leading pack and mer_at in fifth, slowly falling behind the turbonauts. All these cars still had to come in for fuel. Considering the stops would have been similar in length due to tire changes and with many laps still to go, the turbo cars had a strong advantage. Obviously there is no way to tell how exactly it would have played out with weather or other events, but assuming it had ended in the same order, those four places ahead would have increased my championship lead from two points to ten points.

Instead, the client crashed, the race was restarted and played out very differently. At lap 64, my car was 11 seconds behind instead of three seconds ahead and eventually finished in third, mer_at in second. Instead of plus eight, I got minus three points. An 11 point difference.

Now, that’s all old news and water under the bridge. Obviously I was frustrated at the time, but the BRC is much too great of an event to let misfortune (simulated or accidental) ruin the spirit. Things happen outside the simulation. Shit happens in racing, pardon my french. I’m not trying to dispute that the pit bug robbed everybody of an excellent battle for the championship and I’ll be the first to admit that looking at the season as a whole mer_at had good chances to take it. But so did others.

8 Likes

I’d like to point out that most of the things that occur in the races are based on chance. If mer_at hadn’t got stuck in the pits, who knows what might’ve happened? He could’ve crashed, blown his engine etc.
Sure, glitches suck, but no programs are bug free.
In my eyes, HowlerAutomotive fully deserves his win.

4 Likes

Tl;dr: Anything is possible in racing.

I thought about this and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nope.

Not yet. I have too much (no) life going on right now.