Cool Wall 4: "I'm Rich!" (All Scoring Areas Out!)

Quick question, how can you tell off the brakes lock up by looking at the graph?

If the brake force line is above the corresponding tire grip line, they can lock. That’s why if you build a car with no ABS and with very strong brakes your drivability goes down.

It’s not necessarily the best thing to use for actual braking performance though as it’s dependant on tyre performance too.

If you had out on narrow hard long life tyres then the brakes would have been able to lock up as the grip isn’t as good as if you go for wider medium tyres. However the actual braking distance would be longer and you’d have worse braking power

This says (open) at the header, but it isn’t, is it?

2 Likes

Well it’s an offroad minivan, duh, the drivetrain is the offroad part, the body itself is the minivan part.

I’m curious, what real-world vehicles are built this way?

I don’t know I looked at minivan and then I look at an SUV and then combined both of the best worlds, so we end up with RWD offroad plastic cladding thing

More than the car sells for, when they go bald you can sell the wheels to…Donk enthusiasts/i3 owners and get new normie wheels & tyres for free /s
The plates, yeah this body resets more morphs every time I load the car, it probably grew like 10" from what it’s supposed to be.
@GassTiresandOil
The OG BMW X1 sDrive [sic] and 90s Toyota Previa are probably the closest…if they mated.

Ford Aerostar and Chevy Astro/GMC Safari both featured RWD chassis with truck parts (though the Aerostar itself was a unibody and the Astro also might have been idk) and offered AWD as an option.

1 Like

As far as I know, by 2000 the only SUV’s/vans still using RWD were truck-based cars like the Tahoe/Suburban, or the Astro above like @Texaslav mentioned; Crossovers and car-based vans had already committed to FWD or AWD/4x4, and to me the car most resembled something car-based, like a Chevrolet Uplander/Venture or Pontiac Aztek.

Yes, the Atro was an unibody design. In fact, all of Chevy’s vans have been unibody dating back to the 60’s.

I believe the first generation Mercedes ML is RWD, however, that is BOF. The Ford Explorer was offered as RWD, and one could argue that the thirds generation was not a “truck.”

2 Likes

I actually thought it was unibody, Didmt know it was BOF

Actually, most CUVs in the premium senator are still RWD/longitudinal and have been the whole time (Mercedes, BMW etc) - and some more mainstream manufacturers are likewise returning to RWD now (Ford with the Exploder and Lincoln Aviator). But yeah, mainstream CUVs and especially minivans were switched over to FWD by the 2000s.

2 Likes

There’s one van that’s like Hilbert’s: Mitsubishi Delica - Wikipedia

1 Like

Yes. Though, IIRC, the Astro used a subframe similar to the Camaro/Nova?

So it looks like Hilbert’s Everest is in a sort of gray area, where one could justify it being RWD, but it’d be a bit of a stretch; there were several SUVs and vans in the US at the time which were RWD, but all of them either higher-end or more truck-like than the Everest. And then there is the Delica, which is alot more like the Everest, but wasn’t sold in the US. Still, it does seem like the car’s more plausible than I first thought, and while it’s too late to go back and change anything (and I think I can still justify the penalty anyway), it’s always nice to learn something new! :D

3 Likes

I would have thought the nearest thing would have been the scenic rx4 as that was a fwd mini mpv converted to awd and plastic stuck all over it. That was definitely fwd focussed and not a proper full 4wd setup

If we are going to fight about what the closest equivalent to Hilbert’s car is, I’d say Toyota Previa Alltrac, since it actually was an AWD version of a RWD MPV, and it was produced until 2000 in its first iteration IIRC. Delica was more of a “real” van than a MPV.

1 Like

What about the Mercedes-Benz R-Class? It too, was a van pretending to be an SUV. It was RWD, but it came out in 2005.

However, I do have a slightly different argument. What if the Mount Everest was a based off of a unibody sedan from Allen? Sedans would have had a RWD powertrain. Basing a minivan or SUV off of a car, while uncommon, isn’t unprecedented. The first generation Honda Odyssey was based off of the Accord, and countless SUVs have been based of of their sedan counterparts.