CSC 59 - Capable Performance (CLOSED, Results Posted)

CSC 59 - Capable Performance - Results

Valliore Headquarters, Trollhattan, Sweden, April 2023

Valliore Outrider
@Rise_Comics

The first proposal is the Outrider, from Studio Bizzaro Collective. Valliore executives opened the file, but were displeased with what they saw. They were greeted with a dated and seemingly rushed proposal, and not indicative of what the next Valliore should be. One executive remarked that the A-pillars have flecks of the main body color strewn through the black paint and a poor implementation of the Valliore grille, and another took issue with the very small wheels and lazily done lighting features, making it clear to everyone that the Outrider wasn’t moving forward.

End Result - Eliminated.
(The Outrider is a definite no. It fails to integrate the Valliore design cues in a way that makes sense (or even do them correctly, for that matter), the body choice heavily dates the design, as do the very small wheels. More effort and more time could’ve made this a competitor, but as it stands it’s a very lazy and poor effort.)

Valliore Arancia PHEV

@azkaalfafa

Next up in the stack of proposals was the Arancia, from the Kotatsu Design Team. Greeted by a bright yellow SUV, the Valliore executives were pleased with what they saw. One executive complemented the creative re-interpretation of the Valliore front fascia, and the 3D effect of the head and taillights. Another executive however felt that the entire body felt rather narrow, and the tall greenhouse made it seem more like an MPV, rather than an SUV. Despite that, the team of executives agreed that it was solid enough to be considered for production.

End Result- Finalist.
(The Arancia is a solid design, with a smart re-interpretation of the Valliore front fascia. The 3D effect of the lights and some great surfacing help make it a strong contender, though I feel that the body you chose is too narrow, which in conjunction with the tall roof make it seem more MPV like. Despite that, it has a lot of good design choices that make it an easy shoe-in for the finals.)

Valliore Hades GT PHEV

@HybridTronny

The executives flip to the next proposal, and they are greeted with the Hades GT from Pikemen Design Studios. The Valliore executives were split on the design, with one saying that it’s a nice and simple design, though not exciting enough for Valliore. Another executive pointed out that some of the surfacing is too large, which detracts from the overall design. The other executives unanimously agreed, stating that it’s a nice design, just not exciting or aggressive enough for a performance brand, and went to the next proposal.

End Result- Eliminated.
(While the Hades is a nice design, I feel that it isn’t exciting enough, or “performance-y”, for the lack of a better term. I also feel that some of the surfacing that you did is too large, which takes away from the rest of the design. If you had tweaked the surfacing some and made the entire design more aggressive, I think it could’ve had a better shot.)

Valliore Stjarna PH8

@the-chowi

Flipping to the next proposal, the executives were greeted with the Stjarna PH8. While the executives weren’t sure who sent the proposal, they liked the sharp lines and aggression the design carried. However, one executive pointed out that the Stjarna had a rather high ride height, and that the rear was rather flat and abrupt. Despite that, the executives all agreed that the Stjarna was a very solid proposal, and definitely worth further consideration.

Final Result- Finalist.
(The Stjarna is a great design, with very sharp surfacing and a very aggressive front fascia. The trick you did with using the Lancer roof mod to lower the roof was very smart too, which helps to give the Stjarna a handsome greenhouse shape. That said, I feel that the entire car is riding too high, and that the rear is rather flat and ends abruptly. Despite that, it’s a good design that warrants further consideration.)

Valliore Hermes

@Mikonp7

Next up for consideration was the Hermes, a proposal sent by Propeller. Upon first glance, the executives were decidedly not fans of this design. One executive remarked that the front shaping was almost squished downwards, and the very raked A-pillar only made the design look stranger. Another remarked that the entire thing was rather boring, and isn’t a good representation of what Valliore was looking for. With that, they moved to the next proposal, quickly forgetting about the Hermes.

End Result - Eliminated.
(The Hermes just looks strange, there’s not really a nice way to put it. The front morphing in conjunction with the very raked A-pillar make the front look strange, and give it a bad side profile. The tall and narrow body make it look more like an MPV, rather than an SUV. In short, it’s simply not what I’m looking for.)

Valliore Alyx

@Lazar

Clicking to the next proposal, the executives are greeted by a handsome blue SUV, the Alyx. Submitted by 111 Design, the executives are easily enamored. One states how much they appreciate the almost Nordic sense of simplicity in the design, though also admits they don’t love the roughness of the window shaping. Another executive also compliments the simplicity, but worries that it might be too simple. However, they all agree that it’s a very handsome design worth further consideration.

Final Result - Finalist.
(The Alyx is a generally handsome design, and I appreciate the simple and stripped back design. However, I feel that the window shaping is a little rough and that while simplicity is good, the Alyx borders on being bare in spots. Despite that, I like the design, and it’s an easy shoe in for the finals.)

Valliore Aphrodite GT8T

@DrDoomD1scord

Next up is the Aphrodite, sent over by TIO Design Studio. Greeted by a handsome looking green SUV, the executives notice the immediate similarities to Valliore’s GTSe. One executive appreciated that they took such a literal approach, but concedes that the Aphrodite could use more of its own identity from a design standpoint. Another executive pointed out that not all of the GTSe-inspired design cues work well, like the taillights and the shaping between them, which simply doesn’t work here. Other exectutives also pointed out the duplicate third brake lights, and that the design feels more like a large hatchback, rather than an SUV. Despite that, they generally liked the design, and agreed it was worth further consideration.

End Result - Finalist
(The Aphrodite is a good design, but I definitely feel that it’s very similar to my own design, and it could stand to have more of its own design identity. I also feel that it’s more of a big hatchback than it is an SUV, and some of my design choices that you used here simply didn’t work very well. Despite that, it’s still a good design, and worth further consideration.)

Valliore Hadès

@ACoolCrab

Opening the next proposal, the executives are greeted by the second Hadès of the day. This proposal however, was sent by Chevalier. Looking it over, the executives were impressed. One executive loved the front lower fascia, but said that they found the side rather plain and lacking depth. Another executive found the design’s simplicity refreshing and loved the small intricate details in the design. After some further deliberation, a unanimous agreement was reached, and the Hadès was put aside for further consideration.

End Result - Finalist.
(The Hadès is generally a good design, and I like some of the smaller intricate touches in the lower fascia, but I also feel that the side in particular is rather bare and lacking depth. I also feel that the space where you have the front badge perched bare, and could use something there to make the space feel less large and flat. Despite that, I think it’s generally handsome, and worth moving into the finals.)

Valliore Asteria

@CorsicaUnknown

The next proposal is the Asteria, sent over by Kadett. The executives were instantly taken with the aggressive and angular design, particularly from the side profile. One executive also pointed out the holes cut into the front of the car as a grille, but remarked that the front overhang felt too small proportionally speaking. Another executive praised the bold shaping done to the entire car, but felt that the rear was bordering on too tall. Despite that, the executives all loved the Asteria’s boldness, and agreed that it was worth further consideration.

End Result - Finalist.
(It’s hard to find anything too terribly wrong with the Asteria. I love the surfacing, I love the way you did the front grille, I think it’s expertly detailed. That said, I find the front overhang too short, and when combined with the curving panels around the main grille the front looks slightly odd from certain angles. I also find the rear just a hair tall, but the rest of the design is so expertly done it invalidates any negatives in my eyes, definitely making it worthy of the finals.)

Zephorus Stallion

@Riley

Clicking to the next proposal, the executives are greeted with a striking silver SUV, sent over by Zephorus. The executives felt that the Stallion lacked something compared to the other submitted proposals, with one executive remarking that some of the surfacing around the rear quarter panels and the tailgate a bit rough and poorly integrated. Another executive didn’t love the front, stating that it felt a hair on the boring side, and that the lower fascia didn’t mesh well with the upper fascia. After some further deliberation, the executives felt that this wasn’t the proposal for them.

End Result - Eliminated.
(A good design, but I find the surfacing around the back of the car a little rough and sort of just stuck on, and I find the front design a little boring, incongruent and lacking something to make it more exciting. With some more workshopping it could be good, but as it stands it’s just not what I’m looking for.)

Valliore Xerxes

@ChilPollins

The executives go to open the next proposal, the Xerxes from Stu-Stu Studios, but they see that it was made in an older version of design software, forcing them to rely on the attached pictures. The executives generally like the design, finding the side and rear attractive, and the use of contrast creative. However, one executive pointed out that it was missing one of the most important Valliore design cues- the blacked out A-pillars and rounded off upper windshield. As much as they enjoy the design, they find that missing an important design cue is a choice too big to overlook.

End Result - Binned/Eliminated.
(The Xerxes is a great design, I love some of the surfacing and the way you used the contrasting colors, but you broke the year rule outlined in the brief’s rules. The rules stated that all years (model, trim, family, variant) must be set to 2020; you had some set to 2012. A sad oversignt, as the design was promising despite missing one of the most important Valliore design cues- the aformentioned blacked out A-pillar and rounded upper windshield.)

Valliore Taureau

@BarthoNavarro

The next proposal was the Taureau, from Siltrön Automobile. The executives were greeted with an interesting looking green SUV. Upon further examination, one executive remarked that the design was very busy, especially around the rear, and lacking cohesion. Another executive liked the different looking body choice, but pointed out that the Taureau was dimensionally too small than the segment Valliore was looking to enter. With that, they decided to move to the next proposal.

End Result - Binned/Eliminated.
(An interesting take on the Valliore formula, but I find the design very busy, especially around the rear. I also question the choice to use the old C-HR body when the new one is much better in terms of shape and to design on. However, all of that is overshadowed by the fact that you broke the wheelbase rules, the rules state that your car’s wheelbase must be between 2.8 and 3.0m, the Taureau is on a 2.7m (2.65m rounded) wheelbase, thus disqualifying it.)

Valliore Ourst

@OT_motive

The final proposal is the Ourst, with no design firm attached. The executives like the bold front and sharp surfacing, but feel that some of the lines, particularly on the side are a little too exaggerated. One executive likes the shapes and the interpretation of the Valliore design cues, but feels that the headlights are bordering on too large. Another executive generally likes the design, but states that they find the rear a little square relative to the rest of the design, and some of the front surfacing a little rough. Despite this, the executives generally agree that it’s worth a further look.

End Result - Finalist.
(A good design worthy of some further consideration, but I find that the side shaping in particular is too exaggerated and almost cartoon-like, and that the headlights are bordering on too large. I also feel that the shaping on the front is a little rough and could stand to be integrated more smoothly, and the back is a little square relative to the rest of the design. Despite this, there are some good choices here that make up for the design’s shortcomings, putting it into consideration.)

Final Results

After a much needed break and some lunch, the executives sit back down for one last discussion over what proposal will form the basis of Valliore’s first PHEV SUV. After a heated discussion, they all seemed to agree that one proposal was head and shoulders above the others…

Top 7-

1st- @CorsicaUnknown - Overall an expertly done design, very different than the references I gave but in the best way possible, hard to put this anywhere other than the top spot.

2nd- @azkaalfafa - Also a great design that’s maybe closer to the references I gave, but the body choice leaves something to be desired with its relative narrowness and tall roof, giving it more MPV-like proportions unbecoming of a performance SUV, keeping it out of the top spot.

3rd- @Lazar - A solid, simple design that’s neatly stripped back, but I find the window reshaping on the rough side, and the simplicity bordering on bareness at points.

4th- @the-chowi - Solid design with sharp surfacing and a neat trick with the roof, but I find that the rear ends rather abruptly, and the entire car rides too high from a visual standpoint.

5th- @DrDoomD1scord - A nice design, but I think it lacks some originality and is too close to the references I gave, and I also feel that the body choice makes it seem like more of a large hatchback, rather than a true SUV.

6th- @ACoolCrab - A good, though simplistic design with smaller details that make the car feel more complete, but I feel that the side and the area on the front where you have the badging are too bare and lack panache compared to the other finalists.

7th- @OT_motive - A decent enough design, but I feel that the side surfacing is too exaggerated, the headlights are bordering on too large and some of the front shaping is poorly integrated, but between the two designs submitted on this body, it’s clearly the better of the two.

15 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful round, i’ll pass on hosting :heart:

7 Likes

Great round! GG’s everyone!

4 Likes

I’m gonna have to pass on the next round as well, unfortunately. Thanks for this round!

3 Likes

I have an idea thought out. If the 2 in front of me don’t take it first.

6 Likes

i’m not able to host either

3 Likes

me neither

3 Likes

Alright, I’ll take this one then. Give me a few days to get a post up

8 Likes

CSC 60 - A New Generation It’s up! And quicker than I thought.