CSC66 - No Roads Needed (FINISHED)

CSC66 - No Roads needed.

Homada Motor Co. 2024

Co-hosted with @kookie

The Conference Room.
What we are looking for.

Welcome to Homada.

A Japanese motor company which has been building & selling cars from the early 1960’s.

Fast forward to today, where we are a middle class powerhouse, making everthing from small hot hatches to big pickup trucks.

BUT

One type of vehicle is missing from the fleet, a dedicated off-roader.

We want YOU do give us your best vision of how this vehicle can look.

Some aspects we want:

• 2024/2025 Model Year.

• A wheelbase between 2.5m & 3m. (not a requirement, but it should’nt be too big to go offroad)

• A decent ground clearance.

• 2 or 4 doors.

• BOXY SUV Bodystyle ONLY, NOT PICKUPS or anything else.

• If possible, try to add some accerories that would aid in offroad situations. (Winch, Ladder, etc)

• Modern & sharp lines, a Homada language.

• Can incorporate retro styling. (Generic retro in this case, no older Homada to use)

• Interiors are not required but you are welcome to add one.

• Road LEGAL! (lighting requirements etc.)

• Advanced Trim Settings are completely free.

• Just to clarify, you can use any body you like, manipulate it an any way you see fit, as long as the end product is an SUV its fine.

Submissions
  • Model and Family names: CSC66 - Forum Username

• Trim and Variant Names: Up to you

• An AD is required (Will allow a post 24h after closing time).

• All submissions must be sent in via DM to @iivansmith.

• Submissions OPEN on 21 June, 2024.

• Submissions CLOSE on 21 July, 2024 - 23:59 on Sunday your local time.

• No re-submissions!

Changelog

Added 4 new images for Company Inspo.
Added Advanced Trim Settings usage.
Added clarification on ingame body options.

INSPO!!
IRL Inspirations

Company Inspirations

24 Likes

im in

6 Likes

Now this is epic

6 Likes

Im assuming this will be 2020 design year right?

1 Like

Yes, 2024/25

One thing - we aren’t shown the rear of a single Homada, you might wanna include some rear ends in the company inspirations

4 Likes

Won’t be very helpful in this case unfortunately

only the pickup and the sedan has a rear end atm

But i will add it momentarily

(Edit: added 4 new images for company inpso)

2 Likes

Will exterior color choice(s) be factored into the scoring criteria? After all, a good color combo will improve a great exterior design even further.

I’ve also noticed that the last car in the list of company inspirations is most likely based on one of the '89 Ice Cream body sets, but looks far more modern due to incorporating quite a few post-2020 exterior design trends.

1 Like

Colour is free of choice, as long as details are not hidden because of said choice.

aka using black paint

And yes the ice cream body was used in almost all the cars in that list, only one not using it is the rally hatch & pickup of course.

2 Likes

So is this going to be a pure design challenge or are some stats going to be of any importance in the judging process?

1 Like

Might want to clarify Advanced Trim Settings rules btw.

Also, regarding this:

So is this going to be a pure design challenge or are some stats going to be of any importance in the judging process?

The CSC challenge series have always been about design only - you’re proposing a new design for the company in question (Homada). Decision is up to hosts but CSC has always been design-only.

3 Likes

Yes only design, CSC has no engineering at all.

(also updated rules to specify Advanced trim settings, surprise, no limits lol)

Thanks for the clarification, didn’t know that since I’m rather new here.

3 Likes

I’m still unhappy with the inspirations lol.
To be overly blunt, I don’t really see what Homada’s current design identity is, apart from the taillights… While you being transparent with not having built that many cars for this company is good, I nevertheless think this challenge would be better if there was more to go off.
One thing that would help I think would be showing the years the cars in the pictures are supposed to be from (to understand what direction the brand is going), perhaps even giving a little written context to some of them (is that green sedan with very few fixtures a concept of some sort?). Apart from that, giving us maybe a more specific old 4x4 to draw inspiration from for the retro part would imo also be really nice.

But this is all just my dumb opinion, and the freedom we currently have could also just lead to more diverse entries, so who knows…

1 Like

The main design language things I’m reading from the very nice and modern Homada inspirations:

• Angles in the fascia, front features straight-line DRLs, line is mirrored with a rear lightbar in the taillights
  • Usually a pair of smaller lights beneath said DRLs
  • Angled shape to vents at lower corners of front. Size of grille in center varies but consistently has some sort of bar between it and the de-facto “bumper” region
  • Some sort of sweeping curve to accent the lower region of the doors
  • A dark contrast in cladding/ground effects towards the bottom, possibly plastic

I’m also getting hints of Audi-ness from the overall shapes of said lights, though the trucks remind me of GMC light setups. (I hope this doesn’t come off as “is this X brand?”-ing! lol)

With these traits in mind, there’s a lot of additional possible inspirations beyond similar models in the segment — the inspiration tab as of now almost feels more like a “possible competitor” tab to me.

This is just my interpretation, though. Feel free to use it if you wish.

2 Likes

Well i mean, all the inspo cars are 2023+

Thing is with the style of car we want is that is doesn’t necessarily need to follow a certain language, it’s a box
They usually have circular headlights & square taillights
Look at the g-wagon - doesn’t really follow the regular merc language, ford bronco, suzuki jimny, etc.

(You don’t need to make the lights circular & square, just using an example)

And I’ll add on to what saturn said,

I guess i thing ive been doing recently is having bodylines above the wheels, see the grey sedan, green sedan & the yellow hatch.
But genuinely it’s not a requirement.

Free reign because it’s a brand new type of vehicle for the company.

3 Likes

Also just to clarify, you can use any body you like, manipulate it an any way you see fit, as long as the end product is an SUV its fine

Will add this to the rules.

Does Homada cars have some theme when it comes to naming?

2 Likes

Mostly geographical names

The hatch is called Kochi (a place in Japan)
Pickup is Atacama (like the desert)

But

There are ones called Saijo & Versus

My method is basically: try to find a name from Japan,
If I can’t find one that will fit the car i try to just look elsewhere lol

what font do you use for the Homada script?