CSR154 - Midsize Mania [DONE]

1980 SVM Savant

It’s a land barge, but not as you know it.

This downsized unibody FWD mid-sizer runs a smooth, reliable and economical (21 mpg combined) 115-bhp 3.0L V6 with multi-point EFI mated to a 3-speed automatic gearbox, with a premium interior and cassette tape deck for a more comfortable drive. Fully independent suspension (struts up front, semi-trailing arms in the back) at all four wheels gives it ride and handling that’s better than you’d expect from a car of its class.

And at $16,500 AMU, the Savant 3.0 is surprisingly good value for money. So what are you waiting for? Take one for a test drive and enjoy an easier, more comfortable experience you won’t regret!

4 Likes

SUBMISSIONS OPEN

as of 20 minutes ago or whatever

@xsneakyxsimx
@EnCR
@crwpitman1
@abg7

All of you have sent in files before I opened the submissions. You must all either clarify that the files you sent earlier are your final submissions, or to resubmit; If you do neither of those things, it will not be counted as an entry.

I remind all contestants that they are welcome to ask me about techpools and headlights to check for legality.

You have 20 days to submit.

3 Likes

1979 Hamfa Nautus 2800

This is the last generation of the Nautus with some extra chromebits and the mandated headlights for the US market.

Gallery

Stats

18 Likes

Yerevani Avtogortsaran

1980 YAG Akumb

Through Sand, Snow, Streets, and Slumps, the YAG Akumb will never let you down. For the people deserve nothing less than the best.

New for 1980
  • Full time All Wheel Drive
  • Hydraulic Rack and Pinion Power Steering
  • Viscous LSD
  • Electronic Fuel Injection as standard
  • Antilock Braking System as standard
  • Improved Air Conditioning, Heating, and Defrosting system
  • Aluminum panels as standard
  • Crescendoll Inline making 337.8 hp with 26 mpg combined
  • Turbocharger with boost control system
  • Optional Daytime Running Lights

Gallery

6 Likes

THE NEW FOR 1980 WRAITH NEAPOLITAN

The 1980 Neapolitan not only has everything that made the old Neapolitan the great car it was. It also has new features like secure front wheel drive handling and a new all aluminium V8.

Wraith Neapolitan. Because, be completely honest now. When you did everything you did to get to where you are now, was it with the aspirations to buy a little 4 cylinder car with a name you can hardly even pronounce?

15 Likes

1980 Mara Hussar 2.5 SKE

While the party trick of ‘bargain price V8’ had - sort-of - worked for Mara’s US importer Maxsym Bricklov during the mid-70s**, the advent of the second oil crisis meant that only the 2.5 litre inline-4 versions of Mara’s large family car - called Hussar in the US and other export markets - were feasible to sell.

Here we have the 2.5 Sedan in Komfort Extra trim - which was identical to the V8 SKEs except for the omission of power steering since the I4 put about 150kg less on the front wheels. The reduced sales numbers also meant that the incoming Kavalers Hussars could receive an additional round of quality check before they were sold.

The interior was offered in the same tasteful 1970s colours as for all the other versions.

** Ignore any visual and other discrepancies between the old 4.1 era thread and newer info from here and the also the LHC / LAC posts - I have changed my mind on a number of things since then...
11 Likes

1980 AAAA Knightsgrove 400 GL

The GT’s little brother has arrived!

In early 1980, the Australian American Automotive Alliance (AAAA) is releasing a brand new addition to the Knightsgrove lineup with the 400 GL. Featuring our economical but tried and true 4.0L v8 engine, the Knightsgrove 400 GL combines both modern efficiency and our signature auditory rumble. We’re also proud to announce that the new 400 GL is our safest and cleanest car yet, and potentially the cleanest v8 on the market!

Yours from only AM$16,000.

“Just because the world is changing, it doesn’t mean you have to!”

9 Likes

I submitted after 12pm on April 1 - I thought that’s when it opened. It will be my final - do I have to send it again?

Thank you… although only one of the v8s in the picture is actually fast and fun :rofl:

The opening was 11:59pm - which is a minute to midnight. Since you are acknowledging it as your final submission, you don’t need to resubmit.

I also submitted before this round was opened to submissions, but have since clarified that my submission was indeed final.

1980 Markley Galivanter Quadratrac Estate

For the fourth generation Galivanter launched in the late 70’s, the team at Markley decided to introduce a new model: the Quadratrac.
Utilising components from their heavy duty truck and suv lines, they were able to develop a viscous coupling all wheel drive system to the standard Galivanter chassis for improved utility and driveability. Power comes from the standard 3.5 litre OHV straight six making 118hp and 191ft-lbs torque routed through a three speed automatic.
The Galivanter Quadratrac comes standard with vented front discs, 205/70R14 utility tires, offroad skid-tray, chrome luggage rack, rear window wiper, pleather seating for five, a fm radio stereo cassette, and a host of power features such as windows, locks, and power assisted rack and pinion steering. Finished in buckskin tan on maroon with simulated wood siding, it can be yours for $15,000 AMU.

21 Likes

May the AMC Eagle vibes be with you and serve you well!

Ias

New for 1980
Griffin SE
The IAS Griffin has long set standards in the automotive industry for comfort and safety. Many have considered all of our models to be overpriced and catered to customers with bottomless pits of money.

The Griffin SE is not like those descriptions; it is affordable, comfortable, stylish and safe. It doesn’t sacrifice driving dynamics for these either; maneuvering is easy and handling is predictable, due to our new front-wheel-drive design. This means, even in a slide, the vehicle is easily recovered.

Not only that, but the Griffin is economical too. With an all-new V6 design, it cuts two fuel-sapping cylinders out. Unlike most V6’s offered on the market today, this V6 is at an optimal 60 degree angle; leaving no trace of previous V8 heritage, because it is a clean-sheet design, offering optimal efficiency.

Combined fuel economy sits at 19.2 miles per gallon; a significant improvement over last-generation vehicle designs, most of which struggled to get double-digit numbers. This is achieved by using a new ‘electronic carburetor’, where digital computer systems control the workings of the carburetor to achieve maximum efficiency and performance, without the reliability issues of fuel-injected systems. This means the Griffin will be a reliable vehicle for many more years to come, all while being as light on your wallet as possible.

Not only the engine helps with fuel economy, but the car’s size and weight does too. It weighs in at only 2855lbs (1295kg), which significantly lessens the load on the engine to get it moving and keep it moving, improving fuel economy, while giving significant handling advantages too.

All this, and more, for a mere 16,000 AMU*.

*Dependent on trim level. 4.0 SE 16,000 AMU. 4.0 SEL 17,500 AMU. 5.5 SEL V8 19,000 AMU. 5.5 GSL V8 21,000 AMU. Contact dealer for more pricing and financing information.

Want to learn more? Order the brochure below.

Interior
The Interior of the Griffin SE
The IAS Griffin SE offers many features as standard in the interior.

The Griffin SE comes with a fully-digital clock illuminated by a liquid crystal display. Synchronised by quartz, it is guarranteed to tell you the right time at all times, as long as it receives power.

Along with that, the Griffin SE comes standard with a premium cassette deck. The ACR Trackmatic cassette deck has an advanced LCD display telling you the current radio frequency, the number of the track it’s playing, and comes with a switch to change the quartz clock in to the track length played.
As with almost all modern cassette players, it comes with AM/FM capability and can auto-reverse.

The backseats are equally as roomy and comfortable as the front seats, with all seats being covered in leather and coming with pockets to hold books, magazines and more. Armrests are provided to all occupants. Along with that, every seat is provided with a seatbelt*.

*Seatbelts are removed on show models to make photographing the seats easier.

Additional photographs
Additional photographs of the Griffin SE
Of course, many customers would want to see more pictures of the vehicle they might be purchasing. Fortunately, we provide such pictures for free.

This is a rear-view picture of the Griffin SE. Visible are the damage-resistant bumpers and trim, along with the twin-tip exhaust, allowing for optimal flow efficiency, and reducing emissions.

The vehicle is equally as stylish on the road as it is in the showroom. The attention to detail by our engineers and designers does not stop with the external looks only: to comply with federal regulations, the Griffin hood ornament has been designed to easily separate and leave no injuries if a pedestrian were to hit it, ensuring that not only you are safe in an accident, but others around you are too.

As mentioned previously, the Griffin remains stable and controllable, even during a slide. This photograph was taken in icy conditions to demonstrate the stability, vehicle being able to remain in this position without driver input for many more seconds, and being recovered by adding more power.

(C) 1980 Idene Aerospace Systems O.T.C. All rights reserved. More legalese to follow.
23 Likes

INTRODUCING: THE MK4 HAMMAN MALLET

The all-new Hamman Mallet is the absolute proof that you don’t need a big, thirsty V8 to make a true american car! Built in cooperation with Matsumoto Motor Corporation of Japan, the new Mallet has learnt tricks from it’s japanese peers, and it’s ready to take the US by storm.

With quality leaps and bounds better than it’s predecessor, and built up to the impressive japanese quality standards, the Mk4 is a supremely reliable thing, and it’s built as good and sturdy as it looks. The 134 cu boxer-4 motor is an advanced 16 valve marvel of engineering, with a top-of-the line EFI system, for an impressive 120 HP/155 lb-ft output, while sipping fuel like one of those japanese subcompacts we all have come to know

And yet, this is not your run of the mill commuter. It’s an high end premium car, with a design rooted in american tradition, but curated by italian design house Avanti! for a classy, elegant look proper for a midsize, premium vehicle. It’s servoassisted steering, all-around disk brakes, and brand new IRS assist the supremely smooth Hollis 4-speed advanced automatic transmission in building the best daily drive ever offered on an Hamman car.

Built and made by americans for americans, engineered by the finest japanese techinicians, the Mallet sets the new standard for USDM cars. Buy yours for 16000 AMU now!

Front and rear quarter photos

21 Likes

1980 Pegaso C2700i

Pegaso presents the brand new 1980 C2700i. With an electronically fuel-injected I6 and an advanced automatic transmission, this midsized liftback provides power, space and comfort for those who need it most, without breaking the wallet.

Gallery

Specs
  • 2.7 twin-cam EFI I6
  • 173 bhp
  • 233 Nm
  • 1263 kg
  • 0-100 in 8.5 seconds
  • 217 km/h top speed
  • Corrosion resistant steel architecture
  • 4 speed advanced automatic gearbox
  • RWD
  • Premium leather interior
  • Premium sound system with tape deck and AM/FM radio
  • Dual-zone climate control
  • Four-wheel disc brakes
  • Hydraulically assisted power steering
22 Likes

For anyone struggling with inspiration or the desires of american buyers of the early '80s, here’s the pilot episode of Motorweek, which aired in 1980. It goes over both the 1980 Ford fairmont and Chevrolet Citation, which while they’re a bit less premium than what our client is looking for, they’re still in a similar demographic and size range.

2 Likes

how you do that panel, and low brown two tone? does the body have those separated for different paints?

For the maroon on the bottom, yes, that is a paint slot on this body. Though I think the bit under the front bumper is patchwork/decal fixtures. The fender lares are also separate fitxures. The wood paneling is all decal work.

The 1975 N Motors Proton Classic

The Proton Classic is just that… an instant classic! A car cursed by being introduced in the Energy Crisis of US, but a car refusing to change. Up front, a bald eagle 5L V8 making a whopping 160HP and 209lb-ft of torque.

9 Likes