Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 FINAL RESULTS]

It makes about 210hp, on the lagonda body

heheheh… Shidley

1 Like

1980 STAG MTMWV Beserker

STAG is a 1960 sister company founded by Deer And Hunt. The Company mainly focuses at Commerical, Heavy Duty and vehicles for public services.

The MTMWV ( Multi Terrain Multi Wheeled Vehicle) is the main patrol car for off-base operation. The MTMWV Comes standard with armorplating and can withstand minutes against maschine gun fire. A fast variations of weaponry and configartions can be build on this for example a Van version for medical work, or a turret for Land-to-Air Missiles. The MTMWV can also be bought as a Private Security version, coming with a nicer interior

The Beserker Spec is the civillian spec. It comes with a nice interior, a Turbo version of the 5L Inline 6 and other luxuries like an automatic gearbox, roadtyres and the feel of safety by driving a roadworthy tank. For people with some extra cash there is the convertable version, giving you and 4 of your ex-comrades the ride of your life

14 Likes

Hey I remember this!

2 Likes

Did I submit my entry for this round? I can’t remember.

1985 Mara Kanyon

In the early 1980s, Mara had gone back to its roots in order to develop a compact and (almost) uncompromising off-roader, the Mara Kanyon.

While Mara had started out originally as a mere engine manufacturer in the 1920s, a couple of years later during the final stages of the war, they were assigned to produce the small Pchla (‘flea’) jeep in quantities, and they were quite successful selling a civilian variant afterwards. Their big change in fortunes, however, had been the Tovarish in the 1950s which replaced the Pchla entirely on the then-limited production lines. No off-road vehicles - apart from Tovarish and Irena utes who could not deny their passenger car roots despite their off-road capable tyres - had been part of their product range since then.

The Mara Kanyon in its favourite environment

While the rugged 4x4 Kanyon - along with its even simpler RWD-only brother, the Reyndzher* - had been quite successful in the emerging ‘sport utility’ market in their home country (albeit with a small ‘s’ and a capital ‘U’), Maxsim Bricklov’s attempts to import the Kanyon in the early 1980s had hit quite a bit of a snag due to changed NA safety regulations.

In order to achieve market compliance, he eventually had to have extra strengthening added to the Kanyon’s ladder frame chassis and bodywork, and also have some parts of the interior reworked in order to achieve sufficient passenger safety in the event of crashes and rollovers. He also had to make the Kanyon a legal 4 seater. Were these modifications effective? Noone knows for sure, but at least they were sufficient to finally pass the certification process in 1985 when Standard 80s safety finally becomes available.

The asymmetric rear layout takes into account the space for the externally mounted covered spare wheel

The main difference to the Kanyon’s off-road counterparts on the NA market was its low weight of about 1.2 tons. This allowed the Kanyon’s 2.5L inline-4 engine with about 80 hp and - more importantly, about 160 Nm of torque across almost the entire rev range - solid, if unspectacular, on-road, off-road and towing performance, along with ample loading capacity. The independent front suspension even gave a hint of comfort for on-road driving while only marginally compromising off-road performance.

Due to the challenges involved with crash safety certification and the necessary re-work of each imported car, only the 4x4 Kanyon - and not its Reyndzher counterpart - was offered on the NA market.

Car thread: Mara Motors Company Thread (now up to date till 2000) - #11 by AndiD

** Just try to pronounce it normally. And yes, it’s actually a word!

OOC: Looks like the SUV/offroader craze is on…

5 Likes

You should be able to check your DMs to see if you have.

Cabrera Fulgor Turbo

Lore/More pics(↓↓)

While the Trubia was regarded as a leader of it´s class, that didn´t translate into really good sales. Seeing this, Cabrera would design the Trubia successor with the intention of fixing all of the issues that caused it.

First, the base Fulgor price was 13.000 USD, which was two thousand lower than the previous model. Second, a more striking design. The Trubia was too conservative on it´s exterior design, which was also considered a cause for the low interest on the model.

And finally, the release of a hot version. Cars like the Simca 1100 Ti and the Golf GTI had showed the potential of that market a Cabrera had ignored for years.

The Fulgor was released in 1978 and arrived to the US the next year. The chassis and suspension would remain the same as it´s predecessor, but the engine was a new design, featuring an overhead cam and aluminum head. Cabrera´s cars would no longer be known for their sluggishness.

And then, the Turbo. It arrived in 1982, with a rather terrible non-intercooled carburetted engine. While the turbo increased the performance by a fair margin, the installation was crude at best, and so, in 1984, a revision was made, a much better turbo (and finally an intercooler) were installed. These cars with both a carburettor and an intercooler would be the rarest of all, because a year later the much superior fuel injection would be installed.

16 Likes

You meant 1982 and 1984?

1 Like

btw how to I pm the host so I can send them the .CAR file?

Just click on the host’s username in the thread, click on the “Message” button, and include your .car file in the PM.

BTW, that FWD V10 turbo racing van is utter madness, and will almost certainly be considered a “meme car”, so is outside the scope of this challenge - if you really want to submit something for this round, go for something more sensible instead.

1 Like

Ok sorry for the car. I guess I was trying to be a bit… too wild I guess. Anyway thanks for the tip

As you all probably guessed, this is complete meme and was not accepted. If the creator wishes to participate with an actual realistic vehicle, that’s fine.

5 Likes

Sorry. Can I start work on the Wangaro Chapman successor? It’s a small, light sports coupe with a wing so it can stick to the corners and can pull serious G’s?

Take inspiration from cars of the era. VERY few had small spoilers or even lip spoilers. Full-on wings weren’t a thing until the early 2000’s. This round is the early 80’s.

2 Likes

If you want to do something with spoilers, many of the most high-end supercars of the era did in fact have them. These are all very exclusive cars, though, and not exactly “small” or “light.” And also, even the most exclusive production cars of this era never made anything much more than 350 horsepower (and usually a fair bit less-the Porsche made do with 282hp I believe.)

Here are some examples, in case you want to try this.

The most famous example was the Lamborghini Countach, though it’s important to note: that spoiler is only there to look cool. It doesn’t create any downforce whatsoever, it just adds drag. Still a very fun and iconic style to emulate.

The Porsche 911 is also a great example, though, for its comically large “ducktail” spoiler. It dates back to the 70’s, and I believe it does actually produce a bit of downforce, though not as much as you’re probably expecting.

This De Tomaso Pantera also seems to have had a large spoiler, although I don’t know how effective this one was. be careful if you use this one for inspiration though, as the car was made from 1971-1992; make sure you copy styling cues from the right year.

Ford_RS200
And finally, the Ford RS200 (only sold in Europe). It’s technically a Group B Rally racecar, but the rules of Group B Rally say every car that competes must be based on a road-legal production car, so Ford did actually make and sell couple of them as road-going supercars. A similar story might fit this challenge?

And as a last note, let me point out again that not all supercars of the day had this. The Lotus Esprit pictured here, which is just as fancy and high-end as the above cars, only had a small lip designed to reduce drag. So even though you can probably get away with a downforce-making wing on very high production models, a small, drag-reducing lip might still make more sense.

All that aside, I do want to say that even if the StallionF1 van was a bit too ridiculous for this competition, the storytelling you gave behind it was actually really interesting. So if that storytelling could be applied to something a bit more tame and era-appropriate, I bet you could have a really awesome entry! (:

5 Likes

As I have pointed out earlier, such a car is too crazy for this challenge, which is instead focused mainly on realism, and deserves its own thread.

The car seems quite vague and weird with modern rims on a 80s car

I feel it is necessary to re-post this, since we have had more than one violation this round. These are the overall rules (in the very first top post) that apply to ALL rounds:

9 Likes

Shoot, I forgot about most of those!

Thanks for putting that up again. (: