CW7: Golden Age Memories (Round 2: Sportiness)

So the basar would place higher on the coolness scale than the busan?

1 Like

Creating an entirely different car using 3d with no trace of the original throws up more problems than it solves really. You can use a large body to get a comfort bonus but then make it smaller since you are completely making it from scratch

1 Like

I humbly submit my example of a 100% 3D car that looks ok, albeit of the same era as what its based on…

…as well as my opinion that this should never be required, and using an older body as a base for a much newer vehicle should count as retromodernism, not a restomod. This entry to QFC36, for example, in no way should ever be reviewed as a 1956 car:

I sure hope the Mara comment was flavor text and not the actual reason it was considered uncool.

It’s a good time to point out, coolness is a subjective value. “That looks like a restomod to me, I don’t like retro styling” is a pretty petty reason, but pettiness is what we should expect in a challenge about personal preferences; as long as its consistent, it’s fine and part of the fun.

There is one review, though, that I am a bit concerned about looking back at it:

So, did Chris not like this car because it was bad, and you used it being a Mara as flavor text? Or did Chris not like it because Mara made it?

If the latter, using a brand’s IRL reputation is one thing you cannot do in Cool Wall, where all our models are made up (often arbitrarily). There are very few brands on the forums that have earned established reputations; to use these in judging is unfair to the players of those brands, who’s success is now being decided by unrelated past builds they’ve done, and to the vast majority of other players that don’t have such reputations. Hence, each car must be reviewed in isolation of any supposed history.

7 Likes

It’s not that Chris didn’t like it simply for being a Mara, it’s that it isn’t as good as he thought it would be. To be fair, its stats are decent, but the proportions (at least from the side) seem… off, at least in his view (and mine).

Which not everyone can do, or wants to bother doing, as it adds a whole layer of complexity and, unless you’ve developed those skills heavily, it’ll inevitably end up looking janky.

No such penalties are mentioned anywhere in the rules.

Firstly, it’s a 2020 car. Secondly, why then is the sub zero column filled with 80s cars?

3 Likes

As an apology, I’m taking back my comments on the use of the Moore as the basis for your build - in fact, it’s not a bad car, just… overshadowed. More to the point, I misunderstood what it was supposed to represent. I thought that using such an old body would be a hindrance, but it wasn’t, since it suits its mission statement of being a homage to the brand’s past to a T.

Honestly, I’m just glad that a challenge from August is finally getting some results…I submitted to almost all of the challenges since the end of July, 2 of them were cancelled after the deadline closed and aside from this one, the rest are all in limbo with next to no comms…

Thanks, that’s much more useful feedback, so please put stuff like that into the actual post in the future.

(Background: I thought for this round, why not give the Mk1 Paragon a new body, so that they are not going straight to the Aston body. Looks like I will take another look at alternatives then in the future, based on the feedback.)

You gotta join the ones that constantly reoccur, not the one offs. And even then sometimes you have to exercise patience.

CSR
QFC
TMCC
AG??
ARM
JOC
CW
24hr Clunkers

Just to name a few, otherwise youll just be pissin in the wind.

1 Like

Round 2: Sportiness

I’ve just updated the post showing the coolness score with a revised finishing order (for that specific criterion) and more detailed writeups for each car submitted.

Now we move on to the next criterion - sportiness. This is what a performance car is made for, right?

Highest sportiness: Nordwagen Loki S-8x4 (62.1)

No surprises here. A small and light body, a high-revving atmo flat-8 (represented by a V8 in-game), and an AWD system tuned for sportiness with some extra grip on the side… It will punch far above its weight in the performance stakes, no question. That 208 mph V-max, combined with a 2.99s 0-60 time, and a 1.2g 200m skidpad figure are still awe-inspiring figures today - enough for a 10-point bonus.

Lowest sportiness: Quix Discopop 1.7 AWD (5.0)

This one is also AWD, but with a CVT, overly soft suspension, and numb (non-variable) electric power steering, it completely fails the task of being a performance car - again, no surprise either. It would’ve been an offbeat choice for a daily, though, in its day, but is that still true in the here-and-now? That will be decided later.

Sportiness rankings

• 1st: Nordwagen Loki S-8x4 (62.1/10pts) - Hypercar figures from a supercar, thanks to skillful tuning of the engine, gearbox, and suspension. Need I say more?
  • 2nd: Aero Flow (59.1/9.5pts) - A slippery body and immense grip helps make the most of its modest power, despite its weight (made heavier by its targa top).
  • 3rd: Lepus GT (57.9/9pts) - Combining advanced AWD with ample power for its size results in an understated giant-killer, especially considering its light alloy chassis.
  • 4th: DAW Corsica Mojarra (53.9/8.5pts) - Its sub-1-ton weight, small footprint, and feelsome unassisted steering make its RR configuration highly exploitable all the time.
  • 5th: Zephorus Grimsel (49.6/8pts) - It may be big and heavy, but it’s as sure-footed as it is rapid, ensuring that it can dispatch corners just as easily as the straights.
  • 6th: Busan Pegasus Coupe (48.5/7.5pts) - This is no paper tiger, unlike some retro-futuristic designs. Its flat floor makes it slipperier than it should be, and the oily bits are all fit for purpose.
  • 7th: Ayatsuji Myosotis GSR Spec-V (48.1/7pts) - Its turbo I6 turning all four wheels make it a supremely fast and entertaining grand tourer, despite its divisive looks.
  • 8th: Gipfe CS 40DTi (47.1/6.5pts) - Another great turbo AWD rocket ship, although it needs some more involvement (probably by switching to a manual transmission) to trouble the leaders.
  • 9th: Kato Celeritas (45.2/5.75pts) - Runs the Myosotis very close, although it isn’t quite as resolved. Better gearing could vault it up the order, though.
  • 10th: Mara Paragon 4.0 (41.7/5pts) - Despite the extra weight of its convertible top, it’s still light enough to perform well, but would be even better with a helical LSD in place of its viscous unit.
  • 11th: Norrsken Esox R (41.1/4.5pts) - Unassisted steering and a gutsy straight-five in a lightweight body. A helical LSD instead of a clutched one would improve its showing, though.
  • 12th: Yajirushi 290 CTC (40.3/4pts) - Another car that has a clutched LSD instead of a helical or viscous one. Its gearing also needs some work, but otherwise, it’s a solid performer.
  • 13th: Rocket Venus (38.9/3.5pts) - A punchy engine ruined by suspension that’s needlessly soft. It could also use some front-to-rear tire stagger for more rear-end grip, but you could do worse.
  • 14th: Strenus Sylphide HT4 (38.6/3pts) - It needs better gearing and a stiffer structure, as well as more toe-in at both axles for extra stability, but it’s not a complete disaster.
  • 15th: Primus Legacy SV500 (38/2.5pts) - A true Q-car in a straight line, but needs more grip and slightly longer gearing overall, as well as less brake fade and body roll.
  • 16th: Winchester Warrior (37.6/2pts) - Another car that deserves a helical (rather than clutched) LSD, and less overdrive in top gear. More grip wouldn’t hurt, either - it’s not bad for a C4 replica, though.
  • 17th: Oryu Destriero GTS (36.9/1.5pts) - The definition of a big engine in a small car, but lacks rear-end grip and needs closer gearing. Some sharper suspension tuning would also be welcome.
  • 18th: Knightwick GoodWood Coupe (34.7/1pts) - Great dynamics for a front-driver, but that layout also holds it back in that regard compared to the best RWD and AWD entries here.
  • 19th: Wells SideWinder SS (27.5/0.5pts) - Non-variable hydraulic steering, softly sprung suspension and narrow tires turn a promising contender into an also-ran in the performance stakes.
  • 20th: Quix Discopop 1.7 AWD (5pts/0pts) - This is no performance car, especially with its numb electric steering, narrow mid-compound tires, and soft suspension. Enthusiasts need not apply.

Standings after Round 2

• 1st: Zephorus Grimsel (28)
  • 2nd: Nordwagen Loki S-8x4 (26)
  • 3rd: Rocket Venus (21.5)
  • 4th: Gipfe CS40DTi (20.5)
  • 5th: Primus Legacy SV500 (14.5)
  • 6th: Strenus Sylphide HT4 (13)
  • 7th: Busan Pegasus Coupe (10.5)
  • 8th: Aero Flow (9.5)
  • 9th: Wells SideWinder SS (8.5)
  • 10th: Winchester Warrior (8)
  • 11th: DAW Corsica Mojarra (2.5)
  • 12th: Yajirushi 290 CTC (2)
  • 13th (tie): Lepus GT (-3)
  • 13th (tie): Ayatsuji Myosotis GSR Spec-V (-3)
  • 13th (tie): Knightwick GoodWood Coupe (-3)
  • 16th: Oryu Destriero GTS (-6.5)
  • 17th: Kato Celeritas (-8.25)
  • 18th: Norrsken Esox R (-11.5)
  • 19th: Mara Paragon 4.0 KSE (-13)
  • 20th: Quix Discopop 1.7 AWD (-20)

Continued in part 3!

4 Likes

Are you working out the scores correctly? This looks like how i did it at first before i found the calculator that does the scores relative to the highest and lowest values

Edit. This is the page

Yeah, normally scores are relative to the car’s stats, not just a regular ranking. I don’t really have a problem with doing it this way though, I like changing things up periodically, so if this is your intention that’s fine. (but also, the original post does claim it would be done the old way, so…)

On the positive side, individual reviews for each car in the points round is way above and beyond, and a welcome read! and with already an exciting shakeup in the lineup, this is already just as engaging a round as any other Cool Wall. :D

I originally based the sportiness scores only on the in-game values, which i shouldn’t have done - I’ve corrected that, though.

Minor correction: flat-8, not V8. This was modeled for a reason, eh?

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out - I’ve updated my sportiness ranking post accordingly.

Round 3: Prestige

Prestige is a key component of a performance car’s appeal. These things were meant to get the driver noticed, after all - and for the right reasons.

Highest prestige: Zephorus Grimsel (71.4)

No surprises here - this bright-red wedge, with its V10 engine, is the most super of the actual supercars, and with its lightweight sports interior, it exudes a no-nonsense performance-car vibe rarely seen in its class.

Lowest prestige: Quix Discopop 1.7 AWD

This one’s no surprise either. Even with a premium interior, its lack of performance and minivan body style hold it back in the want-one stakes - unless you really need to have a rolling fishbowl in your life.

Prestige rankings

• 1st: Zephorus Grimsel (71.4/10pts) - Its immense top speed (made possible by its near-500bhp engine, sent to all four wheels), combined with a well-built interior and sound system concealed with an over-engineered body make it a crown jewel in anyone’s collection.
  • 2nd: Rocket Venus (68.1/9.5pts) - Second only to the Zephorus in the prestige stakes, its twin-turbo engine makes it a top-tier supercar contender, and it’s even better built inside and out. Only the absence of a pair (or quartet) of extra cylinders keeps it from the top spot.
  • 3rd: Gipfe CS40Dti (66/9pts) - Another car with a lot of quality points sunk into its body and interior/infotainment, with great performance from its turbo I6 turning all four wheels. That straight-six doesn’t quite have the pull of a good engine with at least two more cylinders, though.
  • 4th: Nordwagen Loki S-8x4 (63.3/8.5pts) - Much like the top three in these rankings, this is why sinking quality points into interior/entertainment and body quality, combined with a high top speed and AWD, does wonders for prestige. Its small size is enough to deny it a podium finish, though.
  • 5th: Primus Legacy SV500 (62.1/8pts) - A show-stopping sedan that happens to be engineered to the highest standard, inside and out, with commensurate performance - enough to trouble many actual contemporary supercars. Only its 5-seat interior holds it back from a top-3 finish.
  • 6th: Norrsken Esox R (61.9/7.5pts) - For something so old, it still holds its own in this category - it’s built to class-leading standards throughout, just not to the same extent as the leaders. Its corrosion-resistant chassis gives it an advantage here compared to a cheaper galvanized one.
  • 7th: Winchester Warrior (60.3/7pts) - Despite having fiberglass bodywork over a galvanized steel chassis (one of the least prestigious combinations available), its robust construction, ample power, and good top speed make it a head-turner on the road.
  • 8th: Aero Flow (59.4/6.5pts) - While not quite as well-built as the top 33% of this field, its high top speed gives it plenty of curb appeal, despite its relatively modest power output. If only it had more grunt under its engine cover… That could go some way to solving its problems.
  • 9th: Mara Paragon 4.0 KSE (59.1/5.75pts) - Mara tried to punch well above its weight with this trim level of the Paragon, and they pulled it off. Being better-built than past Maras helps, but its small size seems to handicap it compared to a full-size grand tourer.
  • 10th: Yajirushi 290 CTC (58.5/5pts) - Outshined by actual supercars in the prestige rankings, it’s still capable of drawing a crowd in isolation, although not having a V8 (or, in the case of the Zephorus, a V10) still drags its overall score down.
  • 11th: Wells Sidewinder SS (57.2/4.5pts) - A big engine makes it tempting on paper, although the galvanized chassis isn’t quite as prestigious as a corrosion-resistant one. Build quality isn’t quite up to par with the class leaders, either.
  • 12th: Ayatsuji Myosotis GSR Spec-V (55.6/4pts) - As a five-seater (an oddity in this segment), it won’t be anywhere near as desirable as a two- (or four-) seater, but its immense performance (courtesy of being a turbo AWD rocket) saves it from placing lower.
  • 13th: Oryu Destriero GTS (54/3.5pts) - Another case of a big engine in a small car, and it shows. The result is plenty of speed, but its lack of size limits it to mid-pack status here, although good build quality is a worthwhile bonus.
  • 14th: Knightwick Goodwood Coupe (53.5/3pts) - A small engine in a small car, on the other hand, is a more logical option. However, as a four-cylinder front-driver, the Goodwood Coupe could find itself being passed over in favor of bigger-engined RWD and AWD rivals, despite its high build quality.
  • 15th: Kato Celeritas (52.6/2.5pts) - Another five-seater, and hence not quite as likely to draw a crowd as a dedicated sports car, but it still has that AWD/turbo combo - a boon for prestige, and also for performance.
  • 16th: Lepus GT (50.1/2pts) - It’s a hatchback (albeit one with four seats instead of the usual five), so it won’t quite raise your pulse on the outside, but it’s well-built and well-engineered on the inside, so if you want something family-friendly to show off to your mates, this one is worth considering.
  • 17th: Busan Pegasus Coupe (48/1.5pts) - Most of its wow factor comes from its performance. Build quality is only average, though, and the 2+2 layout won’t be quite as pure or desirable as a strict 2-seater configuration will be. It still looks retro-cool, though.
  • 18th: Strenus Sylphide HT4 (45.6/1pts) - Although its prestige score is let down by its small size and 5-seat interior, its turbo AWD drivetrain will have performance car geeks salivating. Put that in a dedicated 2-seater, though, and you might get better results here.
  • 19th: DAW Corsica Mojarra (40.7/0.5pts) - Undersized compared to its rivals, and relatively underbuilt, it nevertheless avoids the wooden spoon for having great performance for its size (and price). It could be worse, though.
  • 20th: Quix Discopop 1.7 AWD (38.4/0pts) - Minivans such as this are not meant to stand out from the crowd, so this could be a great under-the-radar choice. But this is rarely the point of a performance car, and not being quite as well-built as others doesn’t help.

Standings after Round 3

• 1st: Zephorus Grimsel (38)
  • 2nd: Nordwagen Loki S-8x4 (34.5)
  • 3rd: Rocket Venus (31)
  • 4th: Gipfe CS40DTI (29.5)
  • 5th: Primus Legacy SV500 (22.5)
  • 6th: Aero Flow (16)
  • 7th: Winchester Warrior (15)
  • 8th: Strenus Sylphide HT4 (14)
  • 9th: Wells Sidewinder SS (13)
  • 10th: Busan Pegasus Coupe (12)
  • 11th: Yajirushi 290 CTC (7)
  • 12th: DAW Corsica Mojarra (3)
  • 13th: Ayatsuji Myosotis GSR Spec-V (1)
  • 14th: Knightwick Goodwood Coupe (0)
  • 15th: Lepus GT (-1)
  • 16th: Oryu Destriero GTS (-3)
  • 17th: Norrsken Esox R (-4)
  • 18th: Kato Celeritas (-5.75)
  • 19th: Mara Paragon 4.0 KSE (-7.25)
  • 20th: Quix Discopop 1.7 AWD (-20)

Part 3 coming up!

3 Likes

Is it possible to get pictures of each car with the name? It’s kind of difficult to look at a ranking and try to find the corresponding ad from the thread

4 Likes

I know it was brought up before but I’m curios to why the scoring is being done differently to what the main post said? As in the main challenge post you said scoring would be done relatively to each other like the other CW but here you just go with a .5 point difference between cars.

4 Likes