Door handles

Whenever someone mentions “Merc” I instantly thought of Mercedes instead of Mercury…

Well, great job on the work you did, @Arn38fr!

5 Likes

I honestly thought this was a Door handle appreciation thread until i read the category

1 Like

One good thing about the Mercury door handles is that at least for cars up to the 70s, they will make good inside door handles too.

4 Likes

Lol thats whats up, i did the same when i went back and re-read it.

As I said, I will probably put a door handle guide in the crowd sourced detailing guide thread in a not too distant future.

bild
I feel that we need a more squared off pushbutton handle since the ones available have quite rounded shapes. For example this one from a Cadillac DeVille.

70s Plymouth Barracuda/Dodge Challenger had a quite interesting design.

2 Likes

Genius! The fridge handle plus push button is ideal solution, although not very beatiful.
As for the Hemi Cuda, I’m a little bit not understand its construction.

Something like that ?

5 Likes

Nice!

I just hope that you take my suggestions just as tips on what you CAN make, not things that I am BEGGING you to make.

1 Like

I think you’re right when you say “we need a more squared off pushbutton handle”.

3 Likes

One other thing I wanted to set the record straight on was these. These are from a Pontiac Grand Prix (Sixth and seventh Gen, and a handful of GM products from the 00s). I understand that these are already in-game, though it is true that they look pretty similar to GM V-body door handles (Opel Omega, Holden Commodore, etc.)

2 Likes

Since I already have GM on the brain, here are some I found interesting when researching the topic:

As far as I can tell, all of these are from the Opel Corsa

This last one is from a '68 Grand Prix, and couldn’t help but feel that a more squared-off one of these guys would be nice. (Was reminded of the '55 De Soto when I saw this)

Not GM related, but thought these had a distinctive shape to them to put them up here:

Ford Mondeo Mk1 Door handle 2
Ford Mondeo Mk1 Door handle 3

Side profile of the car to better represent size/placement.

2 Likes

Et hop!

DH_16

7 Likes

Here are those interesting door handles I found, with brief history and many images.

Most 1950s cars used the push-button door handles, although Dodge, Chrysler and Imperial has introduced the first car with pull-up (recessed/flush) door handles in 1957.

1957_dodge_door_handle

1957_imperial_(brand)_door_handle

By the 1960s, the pull-up (recessed/flush) door handles became more popular, when safety regulations started to play role in an automotive design.
Early non-American cars with pull-up (recessed/flush) door handles are: Toyota Crown (S40), Alfa Romeo 105/115 Coupés, Honda L700, Nissan Cedric (130)/Datsun 2000/2300/2400 and Leyland Australia YDO9 (Nomad)/YDO15 (1300/1500)

1963_toyota_crown_door_handles

Although the pull-up (recessed/flush) door handles are very common from 1970s to early 2000s, the trigger-type or pull-out door handles existed from 1970s to early 2000s.
Some cars from 1970s to early 2000s with non-pull-up door handles are: Mercedes-Benz W123 (no image), Porsche 924/944, Mercedes-Benz W126, Renault 5 5-door (1st generation), Fiat Regata (post-1986/1987 facelift, no image), Isuzu Bighorn/Trooper and Hyundai Tiburon/Coupé.

1977_porsche_924_door_handle

1992_isuzu_bighorn_trooper_door_handle

1997_hyundai_coupe_tiburon_door_handle

From 2000s onwards, the pull-out door handles are back in fashion and it is currently the most common type of car door handles. However, the pull-up door handles are remained in use today, mainly in city (A-Segment) and subcompact (B-Segment) cars.
Examples of 21st-century cars with pull-up door handles: Renault Symbol/Thalia (2nd generation), Hyundai Eon, Mitsubishi Mirage (6th generation)/Space Star (2nd Generation), Chevrolet Spin, Hyundai Santro/Atos (AH2) and Maruti Suzuki Wagon R (3rd generation, these door handles are also found in both Japanese and Indian-built Altos, 3rd generation Celerio and S-Presso).

2009_renault_symbol_thalia_door_handles

2013_mitsubishi_mirage_space_star_door_handles

2014_chevrolet_spin_door_handles

2015_renault_twingo_door_handles

2019_hyundai_santro_atos_ah2_door_handles

6 Likes

Figure I’d put these up here since they’re from a New car: The BMW G26 chassis (4-series Gran Coupe, i4, various other upcoming models)

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Audi also used pull-up handles in the early-mid 2000s

OT:

Probably just a thought but I’m interested in how it would look like if sphere door handles (like the ones in houses) fitted into a car. I know its not realistic at all, but I’d like to see one.

And a more serious note, Volvo S90 handles.

2020-Volvo-S90-door-handle_14302_045_640x480

3 Likes

Actually, the Volvo Venus Bilo concept from the 30s had door knobs, I think that there is a pic in my door handle post in “crowd sourced detailing guides”

1 Like

Ah yes, that is an interesting looking car indeed.

gFxDT1Y7_4x

1 Like