Home | Wiki | Discord | Dev Stream | YouTube | Archived Forums | Contact

EABL Elenir's Automation/Beamng challenge series/ 2# Troubles in Japan (AESTHETICS VOTE STARTED!)

Welcome to the Elenir’s Automation/Beamng challenge series. I’ll be trying to host some more out there challenges, some that will test your skills besides racing and engineering, others that will turn the way you drive upside down (Maybe even literally). Just a bit of variety for those who enjoy beamng racing and timetrials.
Without anything else to add, let’s go to the first event, a barnfind time trial

Barnfind racing

Story
The 1980s gave rise to tuner and street racing legends. An era where nimble sports cars were on the rise. Within this context the Susayata Actoma was born. A joint german-japanese enterprise. “German engine, japanese cars” was the motto of the short lived Susayata company. Horrible handling, horrible suspension tuning, horrible engine, horrible everything meant that within 2 years this model was killed, and whatever stock was left was dumped in a desert in north africa.
Years later, you find this supposed golden land of Susayatas, one objective is in your mind, to race this piece of junk.

Rules
Engine family and car model cannot be edited
Family and model year 1985
Engine variant rules
year 2001
Must use a three way catalytic converter
Maximum engineering time 85
Fuel type premium 95
Max piston, conrod and crank stress 5%
No quality sliders over 1

Trim rules
year 2001
No quality slider over 0
Approximate cost max 11500
1 wing fixture allowed, must be visible (No transparent material or placement inside car body)

Styling rules

Indicators, front grill, light assemblies and door handles cannot be removed or made invisible, though their materials can be changed. Front headlights may be “smoked” though their shape must remain if doing so.
Modifying anything else is fair game, go wild (Do remember to remove the rust.)

Scoring
Scoring will have 2 categories
Styling will be done by a community poll
Racing will be scored by the lowest recorded time in the Gull coast Main road circuit, 2 laps, no rolling start (In case it isn’t obvious, you must use the same car as the one you’ll send)
Positioning in the previous 2 categories will be averaged, whoever ends with the higher average position wins. In case a tie in the average position scoring, the lowest time in the racing category will win

Submissions
Please remember to clone the Susayata car before editing it.
Car model name must be Susayata+participant name
Engine family name must be old 1984+participant name

Send me your .car file, a picture or two of your car to be used for the design ranking(you may also post said picture in the forum post) and the lap video link. Use the forum messages.

Lap must be recorded in beamng and sent to me through a google drive link. Video must start during the initial countdown and end after time is shown on screen. Race conditions must be normal (No fastforward, lowered gravity). It is encouraged, but not required, that at some point in the video the entire car can be seen.

DEADLINE WILL BE THE 11TH OF JULY (don’t worry about timezone, just make sure you’ve sent it by around that date)

Dowloads
The map
The car
Susayata_-_Actoma.car (42.5 KB)

Thanks for reading and good luck to you racers.

2 Likes

I feel like morphs should be allowed, arent they cosmetic?

1 Like

Oh whoops, I missed that one. Yeah no I just meant the wheel arch (as far as I’m aware it modifies the max width of your wheels.)

Edit: Nope they don’t, uhh apologies for the mistake, morphing is back to allowed.

We are on the last week before the evaluation, so far I’ve seen some cool entries so keep it up guys!

Small little update, recently Beamng end time screens are broken.
As long as the regular time is shown
Example above, I’ll accept it.

If anyone has more serious issues such as the race not starting, report them here.

ENTRIES CLOSED!

I can say, I’m quite amazed with the results, everyone made a super unique modification to the old Susayata, and the racing was impressive for what basically was racing a bucket of rust. We had 6 entries in total, although 2 participants never provided their laps. As such we are left with 4 people @Sigg610 @Deltaz @AlbertMwugabi @ImKaeR

Presenting the 4 Susayatas

-Deltaz Entry

A lovely blue colour makes this raced up Susayata stand out. The car looks sporty and mean, but at the same time these elements don’t clash with the overall cheap and old look of the base Susayata. The backside is killer too

-ImKaeR

What if, the Susayata, instead of being a piece of crap, became one of the legends that raced in the Tōge. ImK brings us that vision made reality with this awesome modification of the original Susayata. Though instead of tofu delivery, this one seems to deliver Burgerz

-AlbertMwugabi

This Susayata is special in every sense of the world. With a silly front facia, a loud pink colour and its exagerated features, Albert’s Susayata manages to bring a piece of bosozoku culture into this otherwise bland car

-Sigg610

And last is Sigg, bringing this amazing looking, budget gt Susayata. I’m pretty sure the livery is made out of electrical tape and not actual paint, but that adds to the charm. The colour choices are perfect, if someone in the past 40 years had the awful idea of bringing a Susayata to a GT event, it would prolly look like this beauty.

AND SO, VOTING BEGINS, WE HAVE 24 HOURS AND A FEW MORE. INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED IN THE LINK

6 Likes

ROUND 1 IS OVER!

And with that, round number 1 concludes. All participants showed a lot of skill in design and car making, and I dare say I couldn’t be any happier with the entries, I wish I could give them all a medal. Sadly for me, this is a competition, so winners need to be announced.

Da resultz

Even though the eurobeat boy managed to nail an excellent time, no doubt thanks to its skilled driver and its super impressive 301 hp, while the visual poll leaned towards Sigg, with an impressive 8.2. With that, I’m happy to declare that Sigg is the overall winner, though the other 3 entries didn’t lag any bit behind.
Congratulations ImKaeR on winning the racing, and to Sigg610 for winning the looks and overall challenge

INFO ON THE NEXT ROUND

Stay tuned for tomorrow I’ll give the full details of the upcoming round of the challenge. Competitors will be challenged to find a new style of driving on a downhill course. In regards to the scoring system, I’m happy to anounce a complete makeover of it, now landslide victories in both the looks and racing departments will be rewarded, on a scoring system focused on the differential between positions than the positions themselves.
In any case, any feedback is appreciated, and thanks all for reading and participating.

ROUND 2!

Troubles in japan

Story
You are in the 1990s, the japanese tuner scene roars around the mountains of japan, and you, a foreigner on a speedy vacation in japan decided to enjoy this exotic racing sphere. You managed to acquire a car fairly easily, and you signed the papers, ignoring all the japanese gibberish, that doesn’t matter to you, who cares if it said “ブレーキが効かない” in loud bold letters, you are gonna race and no one is gonna stop you.

As you line up, you press the pedal, rolling downhill quickly, the first corner comes and then you press down on your brakes…. and nothing happens

Introduction
Welcome to EABL 2# In this competition, you’ll be racing downhill in a japanese inspired city track, the special challenge here is going to involve no braking. Engine braking and hand braking is fine, but your discs are off limits.

-Rules
Family and model year 1999 or before

-Engine variant rules
year 1999
Must use a three way catalytic converter
Maximum engineering time 90
Fuel type premium 95
Max piston, conrod and crank stress 5%
Quality sliders must be between -5 and 3
Max amount of cylinders = 6
No engine bigger than 2.5 L

-Trim rules
year 1999
Quality sliders must be between -3 and 3
Approximate cost max 20500
1 wing fixture allowed, must be visible (No transparent material or placement inside car body)

Scoring
Scoring will have 2 categories and will be point based
All participants start with 50 points
Styling will be done by a community poll, ranked from one to ten. The votes your car gets will be averaged, approximated(down), and this average will be added to your points.
Racing will be scored using a time based system, for each second slower than the fastest competitor, you will lose 1 point.
Person with the most points at the end of it WINS
No brakes are to be used in the time trial, engine braking and hand brake is fine, just nothing involving pressing down the brake pedal

The track is Hakone Nanamagari and the time trial is made by yours truly

Link for the track: Beta - Hakone Nanamagari | BeamNG
Link for the time trial: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YmtRkP0ztXAlRNY_Cvj9_rdoROOxpOED/view?usp=sharing
(Just put the time trial zip in your mod folder)

Submissions
Car model name must be participant name+EABL2 / trim can be whatever
Engine family name must be participant name+EABL2 / can be whatever
Send me your .car file, a picture or two of your car to be used for the design ranking(you may also post said picture in the forum post) and the lap video
Lap must be recorded in beamng and sent to me through a google drive link. Video must start during the initial countdown and end after time is shown on screen. Race conditions must be normal (No fastforward, lowered gravity). If possible, include the “Pedals and Axis” or a brake temperature in game app in the replay (to confirm you have not used the brakes)

DEADLINE WILL BE THE 25TH OF JULY (don’t worry about timezone, just make sure you’ve sent it by around that date)

Good luck to everyone!

5 Likes

That seems a bit too strict for the era and type of car we are most likely to see - shouldn’t it be raised to around 120-130 ET? And should there also be trim ET limits as well, and if so, how much?

trust me, you can get quite a bit of power from 90 ET

yeah, and what’s more, this challenge really isn’t about who can get the most power out of their engine. The track is way too tight for a horsepower race, and remember you can’t use the brakes. Plus it’s downhill

Like tom said engine is not the focus in this race really, 90 should get you enough horsepower for what you need, and do remember, there’s no realism clause, minmax as much as you want. And yeah no trim the only limit is cost, I don’t really wanna limit that there since the main focus of this is the driving challenge.

3 Likes

Aight, last 3 days before submissions close, make sure you’ve sent yours!

ROUND 2 IS OVER!

And with that, round 2 is over. Now its time for the aspect pool. If you feel I missed your entry or had any other issues, don’t be afraid to contact me!

-TheTom
TheTom brings a rather loud and yellow Tanto Touge edition to this challenge. The engine sports a 1.8l engine making 140hp. More than enough according to its creator.

-HelloHi
Hellohi is sporting this rather tiny and cute looking car. Relatively tiny engine aswell, but handles like a tiny car, that is to say, very well.

749a9ee6f79d22ea88ecb76b40b95741ae094096_1_690x388

-ImKaeR
ImKaeR entry differs a tad from the rest. Opting for a powerful and mean looking coupe

-AlbertMwugabi
Albert’s car sports a tuned up looking coupe. Wearing a nicely matching coat of blue with golden rims.

POOL BELOW
https://forms.gle/KHPwopHyfdABXQkr6

5 Likes

ROUND 2 IS OVER!

And here go the results, let’s just say I was surprised with the results. It was an interesting round and experimenting with the scoring system was interesting. Stay tuned for next round as we’ll be trying more experimental and wacky racing. Thank you to all participants!

Rezults 2.0

4 Likes

Congrats to ImKaeR and Albert for their wins! It was certainly an interesting challenge, cool idea Elenir! Can’t wait to see what’s next! Anyways, if anyone wants to see how my run went, here’s the clip- it was certainly fun hustling this tiny car down the circuit with no brakes, didn’t even touch the handbrake for this one!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oB3I8CDkiTCukJCOH0791c-axz9qBBj4/view?usp=sharing

(Keep in mind: this one had the lap time bug that was recently patched with the latest small Beam update, so if the timing seems funky, that’s why!)

3 Likes