Engine/Transmission mounting & affects of handling

How much customization will we have in this area?

I would suggest being able to move the engine around on the chassis and the choices affecting the weight balance & handling. Also Inline engines could be mounted in a slant which would take more width, but it would allow the front body of the car to be lower and more aerodynamic.

The transmission could also be moved around, albeit in a much more limited space.(depending on the size of the car but it would either be in the normal place or infront of the rear axel)

The type of engine should also be a factor. For example using a Flat engine would mean a lower centre of gravity, and also if mounted in the front would allow a more aerodynamic car.

For example the early porsche 911’s had problems with too much oversteer because of the rear mounted engine. However the position allowed more cargo/passenger space than in a mid engined car. While most companies stopped using the RR congifuration, they stuck with it and they improved the suspension and eventually switched to AWD which fixed alot of the handling issues…

Other things like cramming an engine into a small space should make for higher maintenance costs. For example the 300ZX’s V6 is crammed soo tight under the hood its a pain todo even alot of basic maintenance. Another example is one of the 90’s Ford Taurus SHO with its transverse mounted V8 it was very hard to change the sparkplugs closest to the firewall.

These kind of little choices can make a big difference in the design of a car. There are soo many advantages and disadvantages to each engine type and where its mounted and the more of these types of things can be simulated in the game it will make for a very deep and fun game.

bump

37 views and no replies? :open_mouth:

What you have written there is what we are aiming to achieve, and should be possible with our system to some extent. The only thing we had not thought of yet was the increased maintenance for small engines bays, which is perfectly doable and suits what we are trying to achieve in this game.

Have you guys hacked our internal wiki or possibly our brains? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“zeussy”]What you have written there is what we are aiming to achieve, and should be possible with our system to some extent. The only thing we had not thought of yet was the increased maintenance for small engines bays, which is perfectly doable and suits what we are trying to achieve in this game.

Have you guys hacked our internal wiki or possibly our brains? :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

Awesome :smiley:

Its funny… when I first came across this game I thought the same thing, That you guys had hacked my brain :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this kind of game has, atleast to some extent, already been imagined by most of us… We have just been waiting for someone to create it. :sunglasses:

I thought up an idea for a game just like this years ago… But I don’t have much in the way of programming skills… I know how to mod stuff, and can decipher code fairly easy, but when it comes to making something from scratch I wouldn’t know where to begin…

Anyways, keep up the good work :smiley:

if the engine bay is a tight fit, sounds like a problem you made your self. thats just the impression that i get with the way this game is going.

Im not sure what you mean?

If by that you mean “The engine bay will be a tight fit because you designed too larger engine and too smaller engine bay” then, Yes, thats pretty much how it will be :wink:

BAD GRAMMAR BOY. You mean “too large an engine and too small an engine bay”. BAD GRAMMAR BOY I AM JUDGING YOU AND WILL NOT MAKE YOU DINNER.

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]

Im not sure what you mean?

If by that you mean “The engine bay will be a tight fit because you designed too larger engine and too smaller engine bay” then, Yes, thats pretty much how it will be :wink:[/quote]

That was pretty much what I was saying :slight_smile: