Fast for four (Part 3.2 - finals!)

PART 3.1 - THE ONES THAT DIDN’T REALLY MAKE IT

OK, since this is not a CSR style challenge my original plan was to dump all of the rankings at once. But eh. I could as well leave top 5 for later, to build up some tension. So, meanwhile. Here is the ranking of the cars that didn’t really make it to top 5.

Also, this might upset some people, but I haven’t been purely looking into scores here. Sometimes, I have still felt that a car either had something that pure Automation numbers could not reflect, that made it deserve a somewhat higher rank. In other cases, the cars have felt a bit more flawed than their numbers suggests. However, this is not adjustments that have affected the ranking at the top, where the winners have been quite clear…

#24 - Arnoc Nexum GT - @PhirmEggplant

Sorry, I try to not be rude but this car is generally a mess. We can start with the design. You are using techpool to unlock the Honda Civic body (unlock year 1984) in 1980. Since 1980 still is mostly left in the 70s design wise, using a too modern body requires lots of skill to pull off without looking too modern in a challenge where design realism has priority. There IS a good example, we will see it later on, but this generally looks more like 1990 than 1980. For the most part. But the headlights you are using is modern stuff with projectors and LED (which generally doesn’t even look good as Automation vanilla fixtures), that didn’t even exist in science fiction in 1980, they are like at least 25 years too new, if not 30. Also, the stubby proportions makes it look like a clown car (sorry, but it does), and the tail looks like a very bad ripoff of a late 80s Opel Kadett convertible, except for the taillights, that looks really messy because you have shrunken down the fixture that has a square pattern, so now they look like miniature mosaic or something. No interior worth mentioning in this case.

As for the engineering. Well. 60 degree V8 is an odd choice if you don’t have to, but I decided to not care too much about that. The performance is generally nothing you can complain about (highest top speed, rest of the figures except one decent), it has the best cornering ability, brakes are decent, all that in the lower price range. Well. That was the positive stuff. For the negative…it is not very prestigeous, mediocre sportiness despite the performance and cornering abilities, acceleration 0-100 actually among the slower cars, it has by far the worst comfort, the worst safety, low reliability, the worst fuel economy, and the highest service costs of all cars.

One question. Is this car mainly tuned to be fun in Beam NG? I somehow get that impression and that doesn’t always equal good Automation stats, unfortunately.

#23 - Ting Luchtaine GT Turbocharged - @supersaturn77

This car is the proof why you can’t go only by Automation stats. Because it actually didn’t do that bad, and yet it has a really bad engineering flaw. A flaw so bad that it either was a realism bin or ending up here that was the alternatives, and I decided that giving it a proper review was at least somewhat nicer…

You see the dotted line here? Well, it is the power the engine would make as naturally aspirated. The line below it is the power it makes with a turbo…

…below it. I think it’s pretty obvious that a turbo that lowers the power output for most of the register isn’t the way to go. Now, don’t consult me for turbo tuning because there is better people at that on this board, but this turbo basically acts like a jake brake for most of the register and only starts to spool just before redline.

Other than that, I am not a huge fan of the upside-down bathtub styling, and somewhat messy decor. I do like that you tried out something original, though, and I like some details like the two piece rear window. I think even the body shape could have worked with some more work put into it, but it is what it is now. The interior styling is much better than the exterior, I like it very much actually.

Performance is mediocre (well, blame the turbo tuning), comfort and safety not very good. But it scores high on sportiness and driveability, as well as fuel economy, but it eats up the whole budget. Just building the engine naturally aspirated would probably have made the car better in every way and it could have ended up somewhat high, though not in the top, then.

Sorry.

#22 - Lightstar Deimos 400SP - @Elouda

Another car where I don’t agree with the Automation stats. It has the best sportiness, very good performance and very high levels of safety. The service costs aren’t bloody either. But a car should also work as a concept on the whole. Its driveability is low (and deserves to be downgraded even more with its terminal oversteer), so is the comfort and the whole car feels just slapped together. Its styling is basically just a bunch of fixtures on a body not very sporty to start with, and that is morphed to almost front wheel drive 2 door sedan proportions. Again, I start to wonder if this is a car mainly tuned for Beam, since it usually shows up as messy Automation stats.

That would not be an excuse for the exercise in origami that is the tail on this car though…

#21 - Hammardiin Farvarg V8 3.3 - @xsneakyxsimx

OK, you managed to do the overall worst car that actually could be taken seriously. Is that a merit or not? I don’t know.

Nah, but seriously, I can appreciate the bold move of doing a front wheel drive grand tourer, even if it didn’t reach all the way forward. But I think you aimed a bit low. The prestige is low, so is the sportiness and comfort, while front wheel drive didn’t really get driveability to any high levels. It’s a bit like if you have gotten the bad parts of FWD without getting the good ones.

It has the lowest service costs, gets among the best mileage and sells for a low price. Frankly put, not what a buyer in this class would care all that much about. It should also be said that safety and performance aren’t bad at all for this price point.

The styling, well, it is not very exciting or sporty. A bit forward thinking maybe, but not enough to look totally out of place, I get some E30 and Biturbo vibes (but more boring, sorry) so around 1983 it would at least not have been out of place. But both the exterior and interior styling suggests that this is not really a car with the class a buyer like this would be looking for. Which is honestly what the Automation stats says too.

#20 - Pheonix Claymore LX - @bang6111

Argh, the Corolla E90 body again.

No, the thing is that I hold a grudge against this body since you can unlock it without techpool in 1980, with techpool even by the late 70s and that is just…wrong. In some cases it starts to work around 1982, but still circa 1985-86 is in many cases the earliest I would go.

Still, I must say that this isn’t the worst work I have seen being done on it. It’s even interesting with some of the retro touches like hidden headlamps, but it doesn’t backdate it enough unfortunately.

With that said, I like the interior, since it is futurism from this era like it should look like, unlike the body.

Prestige and performance is low, sportiness, comfort and driveability “low mid”, safety, reliability and fuel economy mid, while it has low service costs and sells for the lowest price of all the cars.

And if one should be harsh this is more or less the problem with this car. The less important a stat is, the more competitive it gets.

#19 - Valdez Coraje 1.8 Turbo - by a Discord user

Maybe another car aiming a bit low. With a “Porsche from Wish” styling, but made out of fiberglass with a flat 4 instead of a six, I get a bit more “Porsche kit car for Beetle floor pan” vibes than would be acceptable for this class.

Maybe it shows a bit of the problem with designing on Porsche bodies, keep the Porsche proportions and it will look like a Porsche, here it seems like you have taken some advantage of the morphs, and I actually don’t like the end result very much, the shape reminds me of a speed bump. Other than that, it’s mostly trying to be a 911 with 928 front end, so not very original, but with worse proportions.

The interior design? I like that much more, that should be said, even if it is not flawless.

The prestige is low, the top speed the slowest of all the cars, the comfort and safety is low. But it has the best brakes, gets the best mileage, has low service costs, low purchase price. Sportiness is decent as well as the reliability. All in all, it has the advantages of a small and light car, as well as the drawbacks.

Could have gotten further in another challenge, but appearantly not the winning formula this time.

#18 - Tempo SS @arthur_mp

Argh. This body again. And IMO, the fastback coupé is even worse than the notchback, it requires skills to not look way too modern in the early 80s. Also, I don’t like the styling otherwise either. It lacks detail and mainly looks like “fixtures slapped on”, especially bad from the back with the almost 2D looking taillights and giganormous badging.

The interior? Well, there is one there, and it works, I guess. Not flawless, not very inspiring, but does its job.

The sportiness is high. Comfort, driveability and safety low, it gulps quite a lot of fuel and eats up the whole budget. It is decently cheap to service and rather average in the rest of its stats.

Another car where some good points can’t compensate for the unfortunate flaws it has.

#17 - Zephorus Espion - @Riley

Here we have a car that the stats overall weren’t too keen of, but since I think it captured the vibe rather good, I decided to give it a little bit higher ranking.

But if we start with the styling, it gives the right vibes overall. It does not feel very original, though, because to me it feels like an Aston Martin V8 Vantage with some Jaguar XJS looking headlight pods. Which leads me to the question - why those ill fitting headlights? Round or oval ones would have followed the shape so much better. Maybe a grille with a little bit more flowing shape on top of that.

That’s my main gripe with the styling though - apart from not being very original, but it is not an ugly car otherwise and the interior looks really nice.

The second highest top speed (almost a tie with the Arnoc) and generally good performance otherwise. But sportiness, comfort, driveability all falls behind the competition. Other stats generally average, nothing really stands out.

#16 - Axxus Enigma - @DuceTheTruth100

A car with looks that stands out from the crowd. Maybe it won’t win any beauty contests, but it still has personality in a way that I like, not everything has to be about flowing shapes, and this is actually what some exotic, individualistic design from the early 80s could have looked like. About the interior, I repeat one thing here - it is there, and it works. But a little more inviting floor mat material could have helped it a bit.

Not very prestigeous, not very sporty and performance is lagging a bit behind, important stats that were maybe sacrificed a bit too much. On the other hand, it was the car with the best driveability and the second highest comfort. Also, cheap to service and relatively cheap to buy, but more questionable safety and reliability.

In some ways a shining star - in some way it lags behind. Not a bad car at all but maybe not the right one for the priorities in this exact challenge.

#15 - Cavaliere Nobile Zenturio biturbo - @Happyhungryhippo

To start with the good things - I love the interior with its futuristic styling, marble inserts and other interesting touches.

The exterior, I am not so sure, it manages to look anonymous and messy at the same time, how that is possible, and the chrome unibrow up front is too weird for my taste.

A bit sluggish performance wise for a turbocharged car, mediocre sportiness and comfort, low driveability. Also, expensive to service. But it is safe, weirdly economical on fuel and not as unreliable as one could believe.

All in all I think this is a car that somewhat sacrifices itself on the altar of realism. A weird italian turbo coupé from 1980 would not be better than this at anything. But since many people have managed to squeeze out better things from Automation as usual…well…

To be continued, post will exceed maximum length otherwise…

11 Likes

#14 - AMS Hornet GT-8 - @bdub1

I am a bit ambivalent to the styling of this. It looks tough, but somehow it also goes a bit over the limit and looks more like something trying to showcase everything out of an 80s option catalogue than a car that oozes class. Also, the problem is that if you would take away all those parts from it, it would end up looking rather bland instead. No interior to judge this time.

It stands out when it comes to prestige and service costs, it’s a bit thirsty on fuel and other than that, the stats are rather average all over the line.

#13 - Angus Villeray 307 R/T - @karhgath

My first thought when I started this challenge was “now some idiot that didn’t read the brief will probably send in a muscle car”. Well, I got a muscle car, but karhgath is far from an idiot and probably read the brief quite well so…OK. It was an interesting attempt that probably got as far as it could.

The looks are a bit too vulgar and “in your face” for my OWN taste, but on the other hand, it’s not that unrealistic for an america that tried its best to dress up its muscle cars in tacky way when the performance was waning. Nah, maybe more unrealistic that you won’t get a malaise choked to death powerplant in this case, since we’re still in Europe, so maybe if there had been tailored models for markets without cats and unleaded…? Food for thought.

Interior? Same thing there, well done but on the vulgo side for my taste.

It is prestigeous, has generally good performance, and can both handle and brake. But doing that with a solid axle means that comfort have been sacrificed, and probably also in combination with the large size explains why driveability is abysmal. Safety? Decent, would probably have been in the top, had the car been on an unibody platform. Reliability also beats all the other cars. So, once again, a mixed bag between top and flop, that didn’t reach further than this.

#12 - Novalina 626 GT4 @mart1n2005

What should I say other than gorgeous on both the inside and outside? I wouldn’t change a thing there. It is also very prestigeous and comfortable. But performance is somewhat lacking behind many other cars, and it also has the worst driveability out of all cars, as well as high service costs and low sportiness. Fuel economy, reliability and safety all decent - not class leading.

#11 - Eltrè Allavita 3.2 Turbo

An interesting entry indeed. Not much to comment on the styling, the car is nicely done and so, but it is still more or less a replica of a Renault Fuego on the outside. But sure, you can have worse inspirations. The interior oozes of minimalism, it doesn’t look unfinished and boring, it looks like it should in a car like this.

Somehow it manages to be very prestigeous and yet cheap to buy. But it is not a very fast car, it doesn’t handle or brake all that well. It has very high driveability and comfort, though. Reliability? Haha Framce.

All in all an impressive package considering how much that is squeezed into it at this price point. Not without its flaws, of course…

#10 - Durendal Canberra GT

I somehow like that this car has a soul on its own. Well, I bet other people would call it “A Ford Pinto with a roof chop” but I think that it is much more than that. Maybe not a winner of any beauty contests here either, but lots of attitude.

Not the most inspiring interior in this one, but once again, it is there and it works.

It offers decent performance, it also offers low service costs. But the driveability, sportiness and comfort is a bit so-so, and otherwise it is rather average.

#9 - Lyksell Sleipnir 300GT

The Lyksell looks great on the outside, no question about it. The inside, a bit more average but still good work done there. It also is the best car when it comes to some things, like prestige and comfort, also the performance is good, so is the safety.

But sacrificing sportiness to the level that it gets beaten by the FWD Hammardiin, I am not sure. Most of it probably due to the boaty suspension tuning. Also…63 reliability? Come on. Very high service costs too.

Another car that is too much of a mixed bag of best and worst.

#8 - Aether Renarde @Portalkat42

A clean sweep with the other cars styling wise. I am totally stunned by the beautiful, futuristic exterior. This is what futurism looked like in this era, everyone shoud see and learn. The interior is equally stunning, and Portalkat’s abilities to design classic cars truly shows here.

Fact is, this car is rated a little bit higher than it should be, I guess, since I love it so much and it has soul that won’t shine through in Automation stats. It is also the car I would have bought myself, but that was not what this challenge was about, so it didn’t work all the way to the top. But with that said…

Performance is due to the low weight actually good, despite an engine that is far from a beast. But one has to face the truth - it’s only mid in prestige, lacking a bit behind in sportiness, comfort, driveability, safety - compared to the best cars, there is. It is by no means the worst one.

On the other hand it sells at a decent price, and both fuel economy and service costs are wallet friendly too, but that was not top priorities here.

But man…I wish I could have ranked it higher still, but that would not be realistic.

#7 - Cordelia GTT Du Chef - @Ananas

OK, this car has no interior, so no points there. The exterior? Well, to be honest I don’t like it very much. To me it feels like it lacks imagination, feels like slantnose 911 fixtures slapped onto the Toyota body (that I have spewed enough hate on by now), and not done very well either, so there’s more or less where the car falls short IMO.

But it’s prestige is second only to the Lyksell, performance and comfort decent, sportiness high, but driveability…well, not really that great, neither is reliability, and it is expensive to buy and service. But by being among the better performers in the more heavily weighted stats it still manages to score relatively high, mostly hampered by its styling.

#6 - KMA K650 V12 - @abg7

OK, this car is another one I don’t like the styling of, but maybe not for the reasons one first may think. It actually looks decent. But if you ignore the fact that this is among the largest cars here, it reminds me very much of if someone took a first gen Honda Integra and slapped an Opel Ascona C front end on it. Hence, not only does it look a bit too modern for 1980 (something released in circa 1986 would have been more viable), it also gives off te wrong vibes.

To put it this way, a smaller version of this in a late 80s sports compact challenge could have gotten a higher design score. The red stripe and black wheels does only reinforce that feeling.

What I do like, though, is the interior, I think it’s among the best ones I have seen from you.

It is a prestigeous car, performance is overall good, it has the second highest safety, does not have bloody fuel- or service costs despite being a V12, and is very comfortable, so it is absolutely not a badly engineered car. Sportiness and driveability could maybe have been a bit higher, though.

Coming up next - the top 5:
@pen15 and @Texaslav
@Kyorg and @vero94773
@Danicoptero
@Taffin_Blur and @Tsundere-kun
@donutsnail

(Order randomly chosen, so nothing to read into from that regarding the results)

17 Likes

I second that the Aether is really a beautiful car.
Also, that the Cavaliere Nobile was maybe too much built for realism, since I know how a Maserati Biturbo was and how it behaved. And thats not always what you would see as a good car, although I made it too reliable there. Lets say Cavaliere Nobile has a good quality control compared to usual Italian prejudges.

And well, if abg hits, he hits. His cars are boring, but almost never bad-looking, and rarely have any flaw in engineering and he also reads the briefs profoundly. Still I am surprised that car managed to become the best of the rest.

2 Likes

That is exactly what it is, so that’s fair. My concept was “what if they made a Porsche Taycan in 1980”. And since I think most non 911 Porsche models look like various bodies with 911 fixtures slapped onto them that’s what I did. Perhaps not the best idea to carry out in hindsight. But I felt pretty good about the engineering so I’m glad to have been right about that.

2 Likes

Trolling complete, back to HQ.

…wait, no.

2 Likes

PART 3.2 - FINALS!

Some days later than planned, here comes the top 5. Interesting IMO is that we here have 5 cars that actually even stands out when it comes to being “better” than the rest, we can really feel quality climbing upwards here, even if it may mostly a coincidence. All of them have nice styling, none of them has any disastrous flaws, all of them manages to catch the vibe even if they all do it differently… So, here is the results…

#5 - TURBÓL CENTURION 200 @donutsnail

A solid budget entry, with modern and contemporary, believable styling. Generally good looks, but the taillights is what stands out, nice and interesting attempt, maybe not to my taste. No interior. Adequate performance in general, short stopping distances. Driveability a bit so-so, decent safety, reliability good but not class leading. Thirsty on fuel, very cheap to service. All this for one of the lower purchase prices.

#4 - VALENS 816 COUPÉ 3800P - @Texaslav and @pen15

This is the car all of you that got criticism for using too modern bodies should look at. Much to my surprise, it is using the unlocking in 1984 Holden Commodore/Opel Omega looking body, but the work that went into backdating it is impressive, it looks realistic for its era. Not only that, it has very elegant looks too, but well, this isn’t pulled off in five minutes, it requires skill and time. However, no interior is present.

Performance wise is where this car falls behind, seen realistically it is not slow for its era, it’s only that most entries managed to cram out more. The automatic transmission probably hampers both that, and the sportiness rating that is among the lowest. That’s more or less the only areas where this car stands out in a negative way. However, comfort is very good, as well as safety, it is cheap both to fill up and to service, and sells for a reasonable price, and without having any major flaws other than what already has been brought up.

#3 - ELITAS RC3 - @Kyorg and @vero94773

Very good exterior design IMO, manages to transform the Opel Manta body into something different, and it is futurism as it should look in the era, I see some Porsche 928 and some RX7 in it, the key when doing a design futuristic for its era is not to think “what did cars look like 10 years after this”, but rather “what did they think that cars would look like 10 years after this”, and here you have succeeded very well. The interior is conservative in compariaion but at least it is there.

Performance is overall at a high level, and it especially deserves some credit for short stopping distances. Sportiness among the highest, but mediocre comfort, driveability and safety. Reliability among the better, but still beaten by some cars. Fuel economy a bit so-so, but cheap to service and still leaves some room in the budget.

#2 - TARSKE SW612 GTS @Danicoptero

IMO, this car looks a bit modern for its supposed release year, but that’s not what being judged and it could work for this era. A design with some quirks, some good and some maybe not as much, but generally a nice design and the proportions does not scream rear engine. Interior a bit more bland, but at least it is there. Very prestigeous, fastest accelerating car, fastest on the quartermile, brakes very good, among the sportiest cars, decent comfort for its size, good fuel economy, competitive price. Not as good when it comes to driveability or safety, where it places closer to the bottom, and servicing is expensive.

#1: CAVINI ZOLFO - @Tsundere-kun and @Taffin_Blur

The oddball styling may be a love or hate affair, but I get the impression that the client would not have anything against it, but rather the opposite, and it is very well pulled off, the body hides its Firebird roots well, it looks realistic for a quirky 70s/80s coupé. I am not as big of a fan of the interior that looks a bit too much like an ocean of fudge to me and has some flaws, but that was low in priority so…

Very prestigeous, not the best performer in any area but good overall, sportiness and comfort decent, but driveability a bit so-so. The best safety rating of all the cars, second most reliable. Leaves some room in the budget, cheap to service, but a bit on the thirsty side.

Overall, though, this car was good at catching the vibe, very well made when it comes to styling. It wasn’t perfect in any way except for maybe the mid priority safety and reliability ratings, but on the other hand, it didn’t have any flaws that made it a major setback.

So, I think this is the overall package that worked the best, and it shows why you should think twice before thinking minmaxing is the way to success. And, I am not going too wild with backstories since this was never intended to be a CSR style challenge, still I feel that you did a car that the client (invented to just give a brief feeling of it all) would have appreciated.

Congratulations to Taff and Tsundere-kun for winning.

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Even if I have hosted challenges in the past I have learned a thing or two on this one, and sorry for having kind of a long turnaround time, but it is what it is sometimes. Maybe I’ll host more one-offs in the future if there is interest for them. (Yes, I know that one of the main priorities should be to get better at CSS to improve readability).

23 Likes

Will the performance and visuals of the bins be judged/overviewed too? Or is the reason for binning enough for those?

1 Like

Even I would never have guessed that it was based on the '67 Cockatrice mod body set - the amount of body molding and 3D fixture shaping makes the basic shape virtually unrecognizable. Combined with it being a complete package stat-wise, it definitely earned its win.

3 Likes