Favourite car from your birth year?

Way to give an answer without actually revealing your age. Is Hilbert 66 years old? Or are they only 9? Nobody knows! :rofl:

8 Likes

Good news! The Dacia Sandero Logan! Introduced in 2004 just like me

4 Likes

All three of the cars you picked were also featured together in many other Need for Speed games, but their franchise debut in Most Wanted remains their most memorable appearance. In particular, the Carrera GT is considered to be the best car in the game overall, with the Gallardo a close second, although the SLR’s heavier frame makes it more useful in pursuits.

1 Like

This may be hard to guess since it’s not like it’s in my username or something, but I was born in 1997.

The 90s was the golden age of economy cars here in the US, and I’m going to restrict myself to cars available in the US. I have a great love for small, light, and simple cars, and I’ve owned a good variety of them. A 1998 Dodge Neon R/T, a 1999 Chevy Metro, a 2001 Chevy Prizm (Toyota Corolla), a 1997 Toyota Tercel, a 2009 Pontiac G3 (Chevy Aveo5), and a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 to name a few, but the one I’ve owned more than any other was the Honda Civic (I’ve owned a 1993 EX coupe, a 1994 EX coupe, a 1997 DX coupe, a 1998 EX coupe, and a 2003 EX sedan). It’s easily the king of the compact segment in the states IMO, not even the Toyota Corolla comes close to matching it in terms of simplicity, serviceability, and certainly not in fun factor or moddability.

My current daily, my 2015 Honda Fit, is more or less the spiritual successor to the Civics of old (2001 kinda nerfed the Civic’s handling with the new suspension design and when it recovered in 2006, it got bigger and heavier. My Fit weighs roughly the same as an EJ8 while making about the same power (the D16Y8 makes ~128 and the L15B1 makes 130).

6 Likes

The MK2 Focus ST, released in 2005 (just like me :sunglasses:) and produced until 2008, when it got replaced by its worse looking facelifted version, the MK2.5.
This wasn’t a particularly difficult choice, 2005 was a surprisingly lame year for cars unfortunately. Many new generations of many models out there were released in 05, but the cool sports versions only came out a couple of years later.

There is nothing I don’t like about the MK2 ST, I love the smooth and clean lines which are very typical from the mid 2000s, which is also one of the reasons I love designing 2000s cars in Automation. You don’t need to go over the top to have something exciting and cool looking. Then theres the legendary Volvo 5-cylinder under the hood that makes an amazing sound. My parents own a fully spec’ed MK2 wagon with the 1.6 diesel which might or might not have influenced my decision (it did).

4 Likes

I agree that the ST is absolutely one of the coolest hot hatches of the 00s! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll be honest, I like that Focus. I don’t generally like the “sporty” versions of most hatchbacks, they’re usually over-styled, but that… That is nice.

2 Likes

2000s ones usually were still tasteful (when stock that is). Something like the 10th gen Civic though? It’s like it was made to appeal to those who watched F&F Tokyo Drift as kids when it came out.

3 Likes

I HELLA forgot about a car. I still want an example of this FINE piece of machinery…

1979 Mercedes Benz 560SEC

4 Likes

I won’t deny that it is a masterpiece indeed, but…

1. While the sedans were introduced for 1979, the SEC was not introduced until 1981.

2. The car you’re showing is a facelifted model, which appeared for 1986 and…

3. That facelift also was what introduced the 560 (only 380 and 500 before that).

So you’re forgiven. :wink:

5 Likes

Ahhhhh…I stand corrected!!

I have seen the example that once belonged to Bruno Sacco, the chief designer himself, in person. Standing outside our house… :rofl: …if I am allowed to brag. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Just out of curiosity… do you have any window in your house, from which you can’t see at least 5 cars? :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, that particular SEC was not ours, though…we just heard that there was going to be some driving to Nordkap (I think) to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the SEC…so we put up some signs to lead them to our place, and succeeded. :rofl: And among them was the one that Sacco himself owned once.

But to answer your question…ehm…not too many I guess. :flushed:

4 Likes

I feel like the year 2000 did not have that much exciting too offer. Some really cool cars were just a couple of years out of production and others weren’t introduced until a few years later.

My dad had a 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo and 1972 Chrysler Imperial Lebaron when I was younger and took me to car shows from the moment I was born. Unfortunately my dad was forced to sell the cars when I was about the age of 6. Given the fact that I live in the Netherlands, these cars were quite a rare sight, which made the classic american cars (and the culture behind it here) even more special to me. And, still to this day, they have a special place in my heart.

Although the 03/04 Terminator Cobra is cooler in my opinion, the Ford Mustang Cobra R would be an absolute dream to own. Its agressive styling and barebones interior makes it feel very raw. It also featured an independant rear suspension, so no crowd chasing with this one.

6 Likes