1 Like

round 2 when :eyes:

Round 2 is coming when diesels are introduced

jk round 2 is coming this weekend most likely
I am a “busy” boi I don’t have time or motivation for this during the week

4 Likes

Welcome to the preliminaries

Round 2

Henry comes back from work with the Mercedes his dad bought him, sighing as the day was awful like usual, as his job envivronment is far from the best.

Like usually, no-one is at home, since both of his parents are busy running the business, which they would want to pass on to Henry as well, but he is honestly not very interested about the idea, but he doesn’t let them know about it, since they would most likely get very upset about it.

So, to relax, Henry decides to go to his room, locking the door while walking inside, plops on his bed and takes out some magazines he had hidden under his mattress so his parents wouldn’t find them… The tekniikan maailma magazines, with his lovely, lovely cheap cars in them. He starts going through the pages, trying to find some cars he could afford, and soon he sees a review of what it seems like a “Grand tourer for a very low budget”

Quezon Cordova 1.6 Dual-Cam 4MT by @variationofvariables

The now 2-year old Quezon Cordova finally got its first update for the 1981 model year, with some rather minor changes mostly made to the interior and engine.
Like 2 years ago, we still find the car extremely good for it’s price, with its Twin-cam engine running the front wheels, and the sporty, but distinguished shape of the car pleasing the eye.

The Cordova is a very stable and also fun car handling-wise thanks to the front-wheel drive, and moderately light weight. The car also performs extremely well in asphalt, and we found the steering to be very responsive, and there was very little understeer with this car.

The car also performs well with the comfort-area, with bucket seats that are quite supportive, and the interior space is very decent.
Only complaints we have is the rather fuel-hungry engine, which averages around 24mpg, and we see that the engineers have tried their best to make the engine more economical with economy-oriented carburetors. Also, we found that the brakes tend to fade some, even though the car has disc-brakes all around.

“I really love how the car looks, but I’m not so sure how problem-free that Twincam engine will be… and the fuel consumption isn’t that great either.” Henry thinks, looking at the reviews. He notices at the bottom of the page that the average service costs for this car tend to be quite high as well, and the car is almost touching his budget… I think I should be focusing on the more economical cars"
The Quezon Cordova will not be included in the finals.

Henry flips the page, seeing a page full of smaller (cheaper) car ads, and he sees a black and white picture of a rather… interesting-looking car in the corner.

Darrah Styrus 1190L by @Stryder237

The ad is rather small, and honestly pretty hard to read as the text isn’t really big either. He sees that the car has quite decent- actually really good, but Henry can’t get over how tiny the wheels are, and the shape of the car is also really odd.

The specifications are also really close to the AHB Alberto he looked at a few days earlier, but the car is only 1000$ more expensive, and the model is also a year older.

“I think that i’ll pass this one, I’d rather take the AHB over this” Henry thinks, not being able to stop staring at those tiny wheels under the car, putting the magazine away, taking out another one under his mattress.

He opens the magazine, seeing the picture of an infamous sedan…

Zephorus Pita 1.3 B by @Sky-High

Henry doesn’t even bother looking at the article, as he knows very well what a heap of junk this car is, as this thing is only known for 2 things: Because it is so cheap, and why it is so cheap. These cars are so horribly made that pretty much everything falls apart on the car during the first year.

He has also seen one after a crash; the A-pillar had bent so much forwards that it was almost touching the hood of the car… the driver was obviously dead too.

The Zephorus Pita 1.3 B will not be included in the finals

(Riley, did you honestly think you would get away with a fuck ton of negative quality points on everything except the fuel system and top end?)

Henry flips the page, seeing a rather sporty-looking car…

Navis SDV1 1800S by @saddiseased

Henry instantly likes how this car looks, but a quick glance at the specifications turns his slight smile to a frown real quick…

“17.2 mpg”

“Oh no, there is no way I can afford the run this… what a shame” Henry thinks, a bit sad that there is now way he could realistically own one of these spaceships.

Navis SDV1 1800S will not be included in the finals

Henry flips the page, rather disappointed about the Navis.
Next thing he sees is a rather small thing, called the…

Moravia Veverky DE by @Maverick74

The already rather old Moravia Veverky finally got an update for 1982, and we can see that the engineers have really tried their best to bring this little car to the 1980s. The car is also just as impressive as it has been for the past decade.

The Veverky has proved itself an extremely reliable car during the 1970s, and since the engine is mostly the same now, we expect the same kind of durability from it now on.
The driving experience has been improved some since the release, but the car still handles quickly and effortlessly, thanks to its low weight.

The low weight and small size also helps with the decent fuel usage rating of 33mpg average, but even with the lightweight body the car is still rather slow, as the engine only makes around 32 horsepower.

“Hmm, it looks kinda grumpy, but I also kinda like it… even though it is really small… and not that cheap even compared to the Alberto, which is bigger and as economical… and faster, and safer too… And I am really not a fan of how small this is, I think I’ll pass this one as well.”

The Moravia Veverky DE will not be included in the finals

Henry flips the page, and now is presented with a larger car…

Autodelta Elaphus 1600 GL by @Marv666

It’s a car ad, one of those with a huge wall of text and a lot of details… Which makes Henry happy.

The specifications of this car are moderately good, all-around rather average, surprising for a car with looks that radiate quirky french or italian energy.

The car seems to be overall rather decent, and this thing seems to be a bit of an exotic car too… which is appealing in an unique way.

“I think I should try this out” Henry thinks, ripping the page out of the magazine and puts it back under the mattress so he’ll remember it.

Autodelta Elaphus 1600 GL will be included in the finals

Henry hears the front door opening downstairs, so he quickly hides the magazines under his mattress again, so his parents wouldn’t know that he is looking at some filth like the poor people’s cars the magazines have.

Well here it is then, round 2, I’m still not sure if I should just make a bigger round 3 with cars, or split them into round 3 and 4, making it 2 rounds with 4 cars, before actually getting to the finals, but you’ll see it eventually™ yourself!

16 Likes

Wait… this is still about cars right?

5 Likes

That might or might have not been intentional lmao

4 Likes

I kinda figured the Moravia would be considered underpowered. Part of the problem was I misread the rules and thought cats were required. So it lost a several horses, and a bit of mpg, due to that.

I don’t think cats were realistic in an era where most cars still had carbs. Maybe I personally went a bit too much with what would be realistic for the time and not what would be best for the challenge. On the other hand I am through to the next round, so I am not complaining XD

1 Like

I think most of Europe didn’t require them back then.

1 Like

Ah, that would explain it then. Here in the US cats have been required since 1975, or about a decade before efi became fairly commonplace.

1 Like

Indeed, here in Europe most early 80s cars were still using carbs.

Carbs were definitely still the norm in the US through the early 80s. Carbs and cats aren’t mutually exclusive by any means. Cats weren’t mandated in the US either, but were necessary for the vast majority of engines to pass emissions; Honda’s CVCC engine being a notable exception able to pass emissions without a cat.

3 Likes

In Europe, the era when cats became mandatory was when we went from leaded to unleaded as well as the first Euro anti-pollution rules so the balance point is 1992 as far as France is concerned.

Most carburated cars were converted to SPFI (Clio,Saxo,106) or electronic carbs (Civic 1.3 for example) and got for the first time a cat. So in European mind carbs-> no cat, EFI-> cat

So It can be a bit confusing :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Update: Round 3 is coming 𝒯𝑜𝒹𝒶𝓎

3 Likes

Welcome to the preliminaries

Round 3

Henry comes home after a taxing workday once again, sighing as he plops on the sofa, exhausted. No-one would be home for the next few hours again, so he decides to use his precious alone-time to look at cars again. Instead of pulling out the magazine again, he opens the TV, because a popular car show is on at this time, called Tuulilasi.

The audible eeeeeee noise from the fake-wood covered CRT TV fills the room immediately, as it starts delivering the washed-out analog color video from the TV channel. The show hasn’t started already, but there is a car ad going on, featuring a…

Henry looks at the grainy video of the car being driven, and an over-exited voice in the background praising the car to heaven and back. The screen before the end of the ad shows a quick overview of the speficications that the car has, and the 25.5mpg rating with only 63.3hp isn’t very convincing, after all the car is really small, and not on the absolutey cheapest side either.

“Ehh, that’s not for me” Henry thinks, being generally unimpressed about the tiny car.

The Kadett club by @CorsicaUnknown will not be included in the finals

The show starts pretty soon after the cheesy 80s ad, featuring an older, well dressed gentleman walking slowly, close to the 3 cars being compared.

Anhultz Mimas VII B by @Elizipeazie, Aanholt Avenger 160GL by @Fletchyboy100, and PZS Mistral II 1.4 GL by @Hshan

Today we are featuring these 3 cars of the same size, all of them are a few years old at this point, but not by much. The cheapest car of the bunch is the Aanholt at little over 11200$, coming after that is the PSZ at 12000$, and the most expensive car being the Anhultz at 13000$, which we find rather odd, as the Anhultz is the slowest and the blandest car of the bunch, but we do get a feeling that the car is more “function over looks”

When driving the cars, we immediately noticed that the Anhultz was clearly more gutless than the other cars, only having 51 horsepower, and the steering was noticeably heavier as well, because of the lack of power steering. The PSZ is the quickest car of the bunch, having 70 horsepower, but we disliked the car’s tendency to understeer more than the Anhultz.
The most disappointing car was the Aanholt, since it suffers from serious understeering, and the suspension is noticeably rougher as well.

Fuel-economy wise all of the cars are rather mediocre, the Anhultz scoring the best with 28.8mpg, the worst being the Aanholt only getting a bit over 21mpg average, which we found disappointing, since it was less powerful than the PSZ, but still is 4mpg behind it.

Practicality-wise, the PSZ wins with its 5-door configuration, and decently roomy hatch. We also liked the Anhultz’s trunk, which could fit easily a stroller inside. The Aanholt was the least practical, only offering 3 doors and no boot, but the configuration does give the car a sporty look

Henry looks at the show, being slouched deep inside the overly soft couch that he hates with passion, not really pleased of any of the cars, the Anhultz is expensive and slow, the PSZ is uneconomical and the brakes also seem to be… mediocre, and the Aanholt is cheap, but understeers a lot and is extremely uneconomical.

“Not for me, pass”

None of these cars will be included in the finals

Henry turns off the TV, being displeased about the cars he has seen so far, and decides to go to his room to look at the magazines. He accidentally opens the magazine upside down, opening the last page instead. On the last page he sees an ad for a little car… which seems a bit odd.

Birch Luistin Pekka Pouta : ) by @Detsikeulii

Henry blinks as he sees the odd car, and the even more odd name.
“Pekka Pouta? And a smiley face? In a car name? This has to be some kind of a joke” He thinks, looking at the silly car, well the tiny photograph of it, which seems to be taken with an awful Black&white camera.

Birch Luistin Pekka Pouta : ) will not be included in the finals.

Henry turns the magazine to the first pages instead now and is greeted by a car with rather bold and curvy shapes, the car being…

Legion Sparrow 1400 (mk1 rev3) by @donutsnail

Henry Smiles as he sees the car, being impressed by the design, which is somewhat outdated but absolutely gorgeous in all ways despite that. He remembers seeing a lot of the older revisions of this car rolling around, and people like them a lot because of their reliability.

The new revision of the Sparrow is looking extremely promising just like it has been for almost 20 years. The car has clearly been built to last like always, with the very strong body work, galvanized chassis, and the bulletproof overhead-valve engine that has proven itself to be dependable for decades now.

Even though the styling of the Sparrow is maybe outdated, the designers have worked hard to make this car even attractive than before, and the car works really well with modern design elements, and plastic.

But the Sparrow is still a 60s car, and it shows. The handling is rather heavy, and the car likes to oversteer on gravel roads, but it is still very much manageable. The solid rear axle is also becoming a relic of the past, but it still delivers acceptable comfort, and allows for heavier loads to be carried with the car.

The Legion Sparrow isn’t very fast either, and with the 4th gear being overdrive, the car is far from fast, but with the fuel economy being quite good for a engine this old we can look past it.
Like always, the Sparrow is very practical, having 4 doors and an adequate boot space, making this a good cheap family car, challenging the eastern cars being in the similar price range, without giving you a status of an eastern car owner.

Henry is very pleased about this car, ripping the page out and putting it in a safe place so he remembers it.

The Legion Sparrow will be included in the finals

Henry takes out an another magazine, it’s from a year ago, but it has both of the two cars he has thinking about in them. There seems to be a comparison between two cars, titled “What can 13000$ get you?”

Kaizen TR I90 by @66mazda, and Hōgai Sendai LB by @bilobilo

What can 13000$ give you? Well, you can either choose a more modern, smaller, faster and more economical car from Kaizen, or you can choose a Hōgai that offers flat paint, bigger size, 2 more doors, and a small boot.
The first impressions are mixed. The Kaizen gives out a refined, sporty feeling, and feeling of being in a car of tomorrow, with an economical but powerful engine that has fuel injection, 5-speed gearbox and metallic paint.
The Hōgai is… rougher, the design is boxy and more old-fashioned, and we can see inside the car that the safety was an afterthough, unlike the Kaizen which has state-of-the arc safety. The paint is this odd semi-matte, flat-looking paint, and it doesn’t look as refined as the Kaizen.
The Hōgai also has a bigger engine, but it delivers less power and worse fuel economy.

Driving the cars was also a very different experience. The Hōgai has power steering, but the skinnier tires and the rough McPherson and solid axle suspension combination delivers a worse driving experience than the Kaizen, that has 4-wheel independent suspension, that is more comfortable, and delivers miles better handling, and even though it does not have power steering, the steering is relatively light and very responsive.

Speaking of practicality, you might think that the Hōgai is better with a boot and more doors, but the rear doors are so small that getting inside the car through them is a hard task, while the Kaizen offers a relatively easy experience with its long doors, but there are only 2 rear seats, unlike the Hōgai that has a bench seat. We think that practicality is a tie.

Fuel economy is the biggest difference here, the Hōgai ony gets 26mpg, while the Kaizen gets 28.6mpg. It might not seem like a big difference, but you have to keep in mind that the Kaizen delivers much more power, even though it has a smaller engine.

Henry is convinced about the Kaizen, seeing how excellent it performs, even though it is on the more expensive side of his list. He rips the page out again, putting it in the same place where the Legion Sparrow page is. He puts the magazines away under his mattress again, pleased about the fact that he has a good list of potential cars he can choose from now.

Kaizen TR I90 will be included in the finals

The prelims are finally done, I hope you are happy now.
I’ll probably manage to get the finals done next week, so be hyped about that or smth.

Finalists are:

@Taffin_Blur
@chichicoofisial
@MGR_99 and @Ryan93
@Marv666
@donutsnail
@66mazda

13 Likes

After waiting patiently for three rounds, I finally realized that I forgot to DM my submission and thus I wasn’t mentioned at all… Feels bad man :,)

3 Likes

i guess my Hōgai should stay in the 70’s, where it belongs! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh well, carbs not good enough. A shame the outsourced injection wasn’t offered until a year later :wink:

3 Likes