Generations II: The Full Line Challenge [LORE][FINAL SCORES]

Once again I can’t compete, been busy recently…sorry

2 Likes

My Entrants for Round 4!

Bogliq by Design is proud to present my three entrants for round 4 of Generations II…

Intermediate and Muscle

The Sachem 141F and 170AE fly the flag for Bogliq Automotive USA in 1972!

Sachem 141F

My Intermediate entry, aimed squarely at middle America, boasting a 4.1L V6 and premium interior. The car is made of all steel construction, has a ladder chassis and is rear wheel drive. Suspension consists of a double wishbone front end, with a solid coil sprung axle in the rear. Both efficiency and performance has improved over its predecessor, plus it runs 91RON lead free fuel (but can run anything since it has no catalyst).

Sachem 170AE

This model is the car in the image. All the data from the 141F applies to the 170AE but it now sports a 7L V8. This model also runs on 91RON, plus it’s more frugal, so the ownership burden of this car is lower than you might expect…

Luxury

A design department thought bubble ends up becoming a reality; for better or worse!

After deciding to retcon the IRS on my luxury car, I felt I needed to do something different for my luxury entrant, something edgy… So this beauty was birthed! There’s a coupe version as well, but it doesn’t photograph well because I get fixture spikes coming from the taillights, which also turned out well.

Steel on a galvanised steel ladder; The Primarius runs a 7L V8, is quick and comfy and runs on 91RON. Now no-one will think about the old car when they see this beauty motor by!

Conclusion

I will have lore pages up soon (there will be more surprises too!) and I'll update this post with links once they're done.

:nerd_face::wink::tada:

2 Likes

For some reason I thought I’d have until Sunday to do this, therefore most of the day Saturday…

Welp, my luxury entry is going to have to be my personal luxury coupe instead of a ground up sedan build. Goodbye practicality!

EDIT: @VicVictory if you see this, you can safely delete Steed from the initial post. Until such a time that the Jeep bodies don’t look quite so derpy I won’t be making any, and there will always be Earl equivalents anyway.

4 Likes

WE'RE BACK!

Very front:
Anhultz Superkroon IV D

Luxury entrant

2nd row; red:
Anhultz Mimas V S

Muscle entrant (more a pony, but eh…)

2nd row; orange:
Anhultz Mimas V D

Intermediate entrant (shoved the Dione into full-size)

3rd row; single headlight pair:
Anhultz Puck II D

3rd row; two headlight pairs:
Anhultz Dione VI D

@VicVictory due to engines being re-used between models, some of them not entered and/or of previous rounds but valid lore cars, there MAY be discrepancies regarding engine family name.
They should all load in fine, but i’d rather warn you in advance.
If yyou want me to clone the famiies out for proper naming, tell me, but they will have a [CLONE] added to them to not mess up the internal structure.

As for the VEHICLE trim names, the MC entry and IM entry will very likely load in as a single family with the IM naming convention.

Letter to [insert current Bogliq Automotive USA CEO] @HighOctaneLove

Dear [Name of CEO],
This letter is being sent as a formal appreciation towards you and your manufacturer for being willing to provide chassis blueprints in the wake of the R&D disaster.
Those blueprints saved Anhultz from having to permanently retreat from the north american market and were a great, even if indirect financial boost to the company, aiding the rebuilding process.
Though you formally did not demand any compensation for the supply of chassis blueprints, we do consider ourselves to be owing you and Bogliq Automotive USA a return of favor.
Since we do have fairly little knowledge of the inner workings at Bogliq Automotive USA, we can not shoehorn an offer down your throats. As such we will formally declare Anhultz being open for cooperation in the near and not-so-near future.
Best regards,
Willem Anhultz
CEO of Anhultz Automobile Manufacturing

EDIT:
the Superkroon probably will get fucked by morph reset…
for a quick-fix, please move the firewall (lower windshield) morph all the way to the front

5 Likes

The new Style for Deer And Hunt

4 Likes

1972 Dominions

Newly updated for 1972 is the Atlantic model range, including the Stag muscle car.

Also available is an all-new generation of the Elgin luxury car.

6 Likes

For 1972, the Earl Motor Company offers more choices than ever for each and every discerning customer to find just what they are looking for!

The Earl Jupiter Estate - Intermediate Entry
The thorough redesign of Earl & Silverhare’s midsize entries carried through to 1972, and the Jupiter remained a top choice for family vehicles. This basic Jupiter Estate is a safe and efficient wagon for modern families, representing a great value proposition. This model features the standard 150 gross (118 net) horsepower six, AM radio, cross ply tires, and front and rear bench seats.

The Earl Executioner - Muscle Car Entry
While the muscle car market started to die out partly due to insurance premiums, the already “refined” muscle cars, the Silverhare Spear GTA and Earl Rio Grande gradually began to soften into personal luxury, but the purposefully obnoxious Earl Executioner remained a dedicated performance machine. Clad in black on black, with a subtle, unique graphic, this engine uses a Manchester 4 barrel carb allowing the 444 cubic inch Langhorne V8 to produce 400 gross (300 net) horsepower, accelerating the car to 60 in under 7 seconds and providing surprisingly good gas mileage and handling when optioned with the Radial Tire & Suspension Package, as shown here.

The Hirondelle Shambala - Luxury Entry
The Hirondelle Shambala, a nameplate long denoting the high trim convertible of the luxury line, became a high style personal luxury coupe with a monocoque chassis and design entirely unique from the other Hirondelles. Nearly every imaginable convenience was offered as standard, such as heated front 8 way power leather bucket seats, FM/AM/8-Track four speaker stereo, power front disc brakes, radial tires, power sunroof, power trunk lid, automatic triggering and dimming headlights, automatic climate control, and much more. But the largest highlight was an engine designed specifically for the Shambala: the Opus Twelve, a torquey eight liter V12 engine offering paramount smoothness and quietness.

4 Likes

Sorry that i could not make it yet. i did not go on the forum today.

1972 Rocha Motor Company

1972 Rocha Dallas Imperial II 650

The second generation of the brand’s most luxurious car has arrived, bringing more safety and technology. The Dallas Imperial II is built on a modern monoblock chassis that adds to the well-known 6-cylinder, 5-liter boxer engine and the 3-speed automatic transmission. As standard items, the luxury sedan features front disc brakes, air conditioning, hydraulic steering, noble leather interior, AM / FM radio with cartridge reader, and much more.

1972 Rocha Madison II 630

The 1972 Madison arrives with changes in the front and a new rear. The mechanical base remains the same, now with new suspension adjustments and a general improvement in the car, in addition to bringing the new mandatory safety items.

1972 Rocha Madison RGT 670

The Madison RGT 670 arrives in 1972 with major changes, now with a much more sporty look! New front, new rear, new hood, rear spoiler, new magnesium wheels and new suspension adjustment are some of the novelties. The mechanics remain the same, with the brutal Rocket 670 engine and the 4-speed manual gearbox.

2 Likes

Best of Intermediate Class - 1972

Bogliq Sachem 141F

The mainstay of suburban families, traveling salesmen, and the like, plying the interstates and boulevards, Intermediates are the unsung heores of the road. Once again, Bogliq has us singing a sweet tune.

Powered by a tried-and-true, albeit rather gruff, 250 cubic inch six-cylinder motor. The Sachem 141F has more than adequate power to move it around. Shifting is done through a 3-speed automatic transmission. Road noise is low thanks to extra sound deadening material

Interior design is rather lush by class standards, with full-cover woven cloth seats, full width carpeting, and soft padding throughout. A high quality stereo-radio with four speakers is standard, also a high-class touch for this segment. The front split-bench seat is narrow, and the shifter for the transmission is mounted on the floor instead of the steering column. This allows only allows two to sit across the front. Real estate for three full sized adults is available in the second row.

Between its solid road feel and thoughtful interior, the Bogliq is good enough. But having all this and being just middle of the road in price puts that extra icing on the cake.

Earl Jupiter Estate

“…handsome wagon with a great track record. It hits the wallet lightly down the road, as well. The seats are unfortunately hard…”

Pros: Best in class practicality, low maintenance cost, high reliability
Cons: Poor comfort, rather high purchase cost

Anhultz Mimas V D

“…exceptional comfort goes hand in hand with good road manners. There is a cost to all of this, however…”

Pros: Best in class comfort, good drivability
Cons: High purchase cost

Hakumai Crest GL
Fixture violation: Missing parking lights. (1st offense, no penalty)

“…inexpensive small hatchback could be a low-buck substitute for an intermediate. Don’t look to do long trips, however…”

Pros: Lowest in class purchase price, best in class drivability, low maintenance cost
Cons: Worst in class practicality, worst in round comfort

Deer and Hunt Goonie Base

“…the ability to haul passengers in comfort, along with their luggage, makes a great weekender car too. Just be prepared to pay the dealership, and your mechanic…”

Pros: Excellent comfort, excellent practicality
Cons: Highest in class purchase price, high maintenance cost, worst in class reliability

Hampton Valiant II 3.5 Prime

“…a good, solid, all around car. Maintenance bills can be a bit egregious, however…”

Pros: Good practicality, good drivability
Cons: Highest in class maintenance cost, somewhat high purchase cost

Ardent Chesapeake L

“…stand-out choice for reliability and thrift. Drivers must be vigilant behind the wheel…”

Pros: Great reliability, low purchase cost, good practicality
Cons: Worst in class drivability, subpar comfort

Katsuro Princess

“…for an inexpensive model, this will pamper your body. Pack light, and keep a sharp eye out, however…”

Pros: Best in class reliability, good comfort, low maintenance cost, relatively low purchase cost
Cons: Poor drivability, relatively low practicality

Rocha Madison II 630

“…a marked improvement in reliability to its predecessors. Otherwise, a rather forgettable option…”

Pros: Good reliability
Cons: Subpar in all other categories

Dominion Atlantic

“…one of the lower cost options, solid from a reliability standpoint. The trunk is rather cramped, and maneuverablility isn’t great…”

Pros: Low purchase cost, good reliability
Cons: Poor drivability, poor practicality, poor comfort

Best of Luxury Class - 1972

Katsuro King

The Katsuro King long ago was one of our favorites. And it is now back to reclaim its throne.

As can be expected, the King is not the car for a Junior Executive looking to make an impression on his boss. No, this is far too rich for his blood. This isn’t even his boss’s car. It’s for the CEO, the rock star, or the superstar athlete.

It is also the car for someone who wants to make a certain bold statement with style. Not that style is moving forward, but that retro is in. The Katsuro King pulls no punches in that its shape looks to the past.

It’s also, as expected for the King, the most decadent, plush ride on the market. That Katsuro has overhauled the engineering and the suspension work to make it the most reliable, and one of the best driving luxury cars, is a testament to their commitment to utter domination. Even if in a limited production capacity.

Hirondelle Shambala

“…the very definition of a high-brow sedan. The Shambala is no slouch on comfort either. Its length and lines make for some rather hairy lane changes though…”

Pros: Best in prestige, good comfort, good reliability, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor drivability

Anhultz Superkroon IV D

“…a great, comfortable cruiser. Recent issues at Anhultz has tarnished the brand’s image as a whole, however…”

Pros: Good drivability, good comfort
Cons: Subpar prestige, mediocre otherwise

Dominion Elgin Crown Coupe

“…space-age engine makes this quite the conversation piece. The seats are not quite up to par with the rest of the class…”

Pros: Engine of the Year, good prestige, good reliability
Cons: Subpar comfort, somewhat high maintenance cost

Hampton Vanguard II 5.0

“…an entry-level luxury car that is easy to handle and own. Just don’t expect any blue bloods to be impressed…”

Pros: Best in class drivability, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor prestige

Bogliq Primarius 270L (TIE)

“…fair overall contender. It works well, it just isn’t anything special…”

Pros: Good prestige
Cons: Poor comfort

Rocha Dallas Imperial II 650 (TIE)*

“…the most memorable Rocha model we’ve encountered to date. It will be frowned upon at the country club, however…”

Pros: Great comfort, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor prestige, poor reliability

Deer and Hunt Tines Standard

“…unfortunately costly to own. This model isn’t a standout…”

Pros: None
Cons: High maintenance cost, mediocre otherwise.

Townsend Toulouse

“…a fantastic engine put into a curiously shoddy vehicle. How far the storied Townsend brand has fallen…”

Pros: Engine of the Year, good reliability
Cons: Otherwise very poor

Best of Muscle Car Class - 1972

Anhultz Mimas V S

Over a half decade of muscle car escalation has made for an interesting long-term war. This year’s winner in the Muscle category comes from Europe. And while it holds fast off the line, it is not purely the fastest. It is, overall, the best thrill. Meet the Anhultz Mimas V S.

Anhultz doesn’t use a traditional big pushrod motor formula. Rather it uses a smaller V8 with overhead cams, and relies on a smaller body and tuning the suspension for better handling to achieve its goals. So if your idea of fast is strictly a straight line, this won’t be your car. If you live in the real world like the rest of us, pay attention. Your answer is here.

Its 0-60 time of 7.7 seconds is a full second off the fastest pace for the class, but its suspension is also set up to carve corners, and all the competition at the same time. All of this, and easy parking and great road manners to boot!

Hampton Valiant

“…one of our “Fast Trio” this year, with a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds. Handling characteristics are great as well…”

Pros: High sportiness, fastest 0-60 (3-way tie)
Cons: Poor comfort

Earl Executioner

“…at a 6.9 second 0-60, it will beat a Mimas, but not the Fast Trio. It will do everything you ask, and for less than any other competitor…”

Pros: High sportiness, fast 0-60, lowest in class purchase price
Cons: None

Bogliq Sachem 170AE

“…the second of the “Fast Trio”. It’s a relatively cushy ride, as well, but is uncharacteristically expensive for a Bogliq…”

Pros: Fastest 0-60 (3-way tie), good comfort, good sportiness
Cons: High purchase cost, high maintenance cost

Dominion Atlantic Stag

“…a high cost model that will get you basically all that you want…”

Pros: Relatively fast 0-60, good comfort, good drivability
Cons: High purchase cost

Katsuro A-R15

“…a pony car wandering straight into muscle car price territory…”

Pros: Good comfort, low maintenance cost
Cons: Poor 0-60, poor drivability

Deer and Hunt SuperCoupe

“…faster than a regular sedan, but the slowest of all “muscle” cars. Still, a quick ride for such comfort at a decent price…”

Pros: Low purchase price, great drivability, best in class comfort
Cons: Worst in class 0-60, worst in class sportiness

Ardent Chesapeake 444 Super SS

“…the third of our “Fast Trio”. The Ardent is unfortunately cramped and unruly…”

Pros: Fastest 0-60 (3-way tie)
Cons: Poor drivability, poor comfort, high maintenance cost

Rocha Madison RGT 670

“…can be driven with relative ease, but for the price tag, you don’t get that much…”

Pros: Good drivability, relatively low purchase price
Cons: Otherwise very subpar

Best Engine - 1972 - TIE

Ardent Ursa 444 MechJect and Dominion Chinook V8 444 Injection
+5 Point Relative Rating bonus for Dominion

This year we have a pair of contenders vying for the crown in the luxury car arena. Both the Ardent and Dominion engines selected this year power their respective luxury cars, the Dominion Elgin Crown Coupe and the Townsend Toulouse (with availability on the sister Ardent Manhattan starting next year). Both displace 444 cubic inches, though are unrelated, with different bores and strokes.

Both manufacturers seem to be taking steps toward the future, eschewing the ubiquitous carburetor. Instead, fuel delivery is performed by new mechanical fuel injection systems. These engines spin up with incredibly precise response from their respective throttle pedals, with the Ardent having an ever so slight advantage in this aspect, as well as being a slightly smoother operating engine overall.

Though the Dominion Chinook gets better fuel mileage for its application thanks to taller gearing, it also requires more costly super-grade fuel to run. The Ardent MechJect system is already rated to run on base-grade unleaded fuel, making it a future-proof choice for the proposed Federal requirement to switch new vehicles to unleaded.

Power output is nearly identical: 297 horsepower for the Dominion, 290 for the Ardent. Ardent tops the torque curve ever so slightly, 410 to 409.

Our testing staff could not come up with a clear winner after much debate. Honestly there probably isn’t one. Either motor is incredible, and worthy of considering models with them under the hood.

GENERAL ENGINE ADVISORY

Hakumai 1500cc

Newcomer Hakumai is unfortunately getting a bit of a rough welcome from our staff. Their sole model that has reached our shores has a 1500cc (91 cubic inch) 4-cylinder engine that, after much testing, receives our general engine advisory label.

This motor, found in their Crest GL models, is a buzzy and coarse overhead cam mill. Although its low power numbers are deemed acceptable for what it powers, its lack of reliability and sharp power fall-off at high RPMs is not.

Buyers of lower-end cars would do well to seek out a Katsuro with a six cylinder instead.

Visual Design Honorable Mentions

Dominion Atlantic and Elgin Crown Coupe
Hirondelle Shambala
The entire Deer and Hunt range

1972 Reliability Rankings

Dominion - 59.87
Katsuro - 59.83
Earl - 59.77
Ardent - 59.63
Anhultz - 57.57
Hakumai - 56.1 (limited sample data)
Hampton - 55.93
Deer and Hunt - 55.63
Bogliq - 54.8
Rocha - 54.7

1972 Relative Ratings

Earl/Hirondelle - 100.00
Anhultz - 99.00
Hampton - 95.00
Katsuro - 92.00
Bogliq - 87.00
Dominion - 82.00 (after engine bonus)
Deer and Hunt - 74.00
Ardent - 69.00
Rocha - 69.00
Hakumai - 66.00 (limited data available)
Watson - 40.00 (Static assignment due to missing 2 consecutive rounds)
Silver-York - 40.00 (Static assignment due to missing 2 consecutive rounds)
Platinum - 40.00 (Static assignment due to missing 2 consecutive rounds)
Valence - (Resigned, score will be frozen)

6 Likes

@VicVictory May I first compliment you on your sheer speed of providing a thorough response: it’s been a week since my challenge closed, and I’ve only finished half of the results! It’s impresive.

As for the results, while reading an in depth analysis is always fun, I simply cannot complain about such a magnanimous 2nd/3rd place sweep. To put some comments out there: I suspect the low comfort and high practicality of the Jupiter are both due to the front bench seat, I assume the low drivability of the Shambala is due to the high horsepower (and thus wheel spin), and I am merely surprised that 6.9 seconds to 62 was middle of the pack acceleration for the Executioner. I was debating the merits of a small block vs. a big block on that, and glad I went with the 444. Funny that 3 different engines went with that displacement.

Anyway, cheers, and looking forward to the next round.

4 Likes

The press really has it with misprinting engine info for Anhultz…

the Jupiter V8 (the one entered) in OHV, not OHC

2 Likes

Well, that round went better than expected, I was anticipating being hosed in every category I entered, hahaha!

Congrats to Katsuro for their lovely King, Anhultz for taking the Muscle with a Mimas, and everyone for entering and competing!

Now comes the nightmare, as I attempt to not meta-game my entire line-up for the coming fuel crisis, but keep Bogliq USA competitive against ever stiffer competition, lol.

1 Like

God, I need new glasses…

3 Likes

Hampton Motor Group - Round 4 Aftermath/Round 5 Prologue

1972 was another great year for the Hampton Motor Group. The Valiant line in general was still selling well, on account of it being a good all-rounder despite being more expensive to maintain than its rivals. The larger Vanguard also earned plaudits for being incredibly easy to drive, although it lagged behind somewhat in the prestige stakes. However, the Valiant SuperSprint, which had been refreshed for 1972 with even more power, was the real standout in the range, with performance and handling to make drivers of other muscle and pony cars very nervous indeed.

The following year, the oil crisis forced Hampton to make the most drastic changes to its model range up to that point - increasing oil prices meant that high-performance cars, including the Valiant SuperSprint, suddenly fell out of favor after years of popularity. As such, from 1975, all of their US-spec engines would be detuned for 91 RON regular unleaded and fitted with catalytic converters, and every Hampton sold in the United States would receive new headlights and bumpers in accordance with the stricter new Federal regulations. Most tragically of all, both of its sports cars - the Peregrine and Shrike - would be axed, without an immediate replacement in sight (or at least one which was as fast in a straight line), but Chairman Toby deemed it a necessary evil on account of their advancing age and a lack of demand.

In the midst of all this, there were other changes afoot at the Hampton Motor Group. Their new entry-level economy car, the front-drive Fennec, was in development, and plans were being made to adapt the existing engine range to mechanical fuel injection. Moreover, some upmarket models would soon receive ventilated disc brakes for the first time, either at the front or on all four wheels, and their automatic transmission would now be a four-speed unit. All this resulted in a new generation of models promised as being better to drive than their immediate predecessors.

Meanwhile, Chairman Toby also green-lit replacements for their aging Vanguard and Valiant ranges. Given how competitive the American motoring marketplace had now become, he considered such measures a necessity if he wanted his company to stay afloat into the 80s and beyond. And so, after a quarter of a century, the Hampton Motor Group underwent another shift in priorities: instead of outright performance, which was no longer in demand as much as it once was, comfort, safety and economy would now be more heavily emphasized than before, especially in the company’s advertising campaigns.

2 Likes

HAKUMAI Autos Inc- Round 4 aftermath/Round 5 prologue
Their first car made it off the shelves because it was fuel efficent and underpowered. Even though it was a rough time trying to get the car to sell because it lacked reliabillity, a sharp power fall-off at high RPM, The car did not last, Consumers said it lacked reliabillity unlike other competitors and uncomfortable seats Worst in class practicality, The car has low maintenance costs, it was a cheap and rather miserable hatchback. People wanted a new car from them, A new car is coming soon to your nearest hakumai dealership. The ceo, Tim has motivation into making more cars for the company. and with better engines.

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t expect the results so soon… Bro your dedication to this challenge is superb! :fist:t3:

KATSURO HQ, Nagoya, Japan 1972

Tanashi uses his office phone to summon his secretary Nasuki. Nasuki arrives moments later and saw Tanashi looking quite disturbed…

N- Are you ok sir? She asked worryingly…
T- No, I’m not. Have you seen our latest market survey data?
N- Not yet sir, I’ve been organizing those reports you wanted all morning. What’s wrong?
T- It would appear we have an identity crisis. Since the launch of the King we have dominated the ultra high end luxury market, which was ultimately against our core philosophy. The range of cars in our current line up are all targeted at low-income individuals, and it’s hurting the image of our intermediate cars. Get Akio in here.

Akio was called and later arrived.

T- Akio, what can we do to fix our image? We don’t want to appear as a cheap carmaker, but we cannot sacrifice our core values of value for money.
A- Sir, the King is well received as the most prestigious car on the market right now, so why don’t we start targeting middle-income executives with our intermediate cars instead of low-income earners. We could still offer value for money by offering more features to compete with our European and American Rivals.
T- Akio, that’s not a bad idea. We could invest more in our intermediate cars to take on Boliq. They seem to be dominating the market at the moment. Nasuki, get Nakata in here.

Nakata later arrives.

T- Tanashi N- Nakata

T- Nakata, we need a refresh on our intermediate cars. They need to appear more to middle-income buyers. The princess is a flop. Make it happen.
N- Sir who are we competing against?
T- Boliq. They dominate the intermediate class. They have cars that middle-income buyers want, we don’t. we already have enough low-income class cars, so we need to refresh our image for the premium segment.
N- Any plans for the King Sir?
T- Not right now. We move forward as planned. But there is a huge gap between the Princess and the King. So we need to fill that.
N- I understand Sir. I’ll get the team started right away.

1972 Aftermath

Katsuro Princess struggles to find footing in the premium market 2nd generation in a row. Model to be repositioned due to subpar premium class sales. Despite the dirt cheap price, it’s still losing out to Boliq and Earl. Replacement Planned.

Katsuro King continues to dominate the Luxury Market for Company CEOs and Upper Echelon Officials.

A-R15 sees improved ratings, but not much improvement in terms of sales. Model to be discontinued.

Round 4 - 1977

The past few years have been extremely tumultuous. Nixon resigned after the Watergate scandal. The Oil Crisis hit in late 1973, sending fuel prices skyrocketing, and changing many consumers’ perceptions regarding personal transportation. The US economy has been stagnant, with unprecedented inflation making life difficult for the average person. The Vietnam War ends for the US, American Graffiti is released, and the Betamax and VHS are both introduced. Meanwhile, relations between the US and Soviet Union finally start to soften as their respective space agencies launch an Apollo and Soyuz to dock with each other in space. Microsoft Corporation forms in 1975, and Apple Computer Company forms in 1976, the same year that Jimmy Carter defeats Gerald Ford in the Presidential election. The prototype Space Shuttle, named Enterprise, is unveiled as well. Suburban sprawl has come to nearly a standstill as the economy has recently tanked, and the Interstate highway system is now more than 95% completed. Only a few rural bypass stretches remain to be completed.

Economy
Unemployment: Moderate
Inflation: Moderate
Economy: Slow expansion
Short-term economic forecast: Potential recession

Notable Social and Political Happenings

Watergate. Oil Crisis. US involvement in Vietnam War ends. Secretariat wins Triple Crown. Nixon Resigns. Stephen King’s first novel (Carrie). 55 MPH speed limit. Worldwide recession. Betamax vs VHS. Jaws released. Franco dies. Microsoft founded. Apple Computer founded. Concorde enters service. Jimmy Carter elected. First Space Shuttle built. Nadia Comaneci wins 3 golds and 5 medals in Montreal Olympics. Viking I lands on Mars. Howard Hughes dies. US Bicentennial. Fidel Castro rises to power.

Regulations

Fuel: Regular Unleaded (universal). Catalytic converters REQUIRED for all passenger vehicles. Pickup trucks and cargo vans will remain exempt until 1978.

Bumpers: 5 MPH bumpers required. Most bodies with integrated bumpers qualify. If it does not have a discernable integrated bumper, bumper(s) must be added

Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights required. Only sealed-beam (including pop-up) are allowed in this era. If the headlights are round, there may be one or two pair. If headlights are square, TWO PAIR are REQUIRED. At least one pair of turn indicators required. Exactly ONE pair of parking lights is required. Turn signals and headlights may NOT be placed in bumpers, but parking lights MAY. There must be some form of visual separation between turn and park lights, either by physical separation (separate fixtures) or color separation (Different color bulbs in the same fixture)

Front light colors: No red may face forward. Turn signals MUST be amber. Headlights MUST be clear or white.

Rear lights: At least TWO pairs of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. NO lights may be placed bumpers (however, optional red reflectors may be). If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture and of the same color, there must be a minimum of THREE bulbs in the fixture.

Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.

Side marker/signal lights: Front and rear side markers are required

Side light colors: Front side markers must be amber. Rear side markers must be red.

Mirrors: Driver’s side required.

Aerials: Long mast or retractable antenna required if car has a radio.

Fuel fillers: Fillers MUST be on the side of the vehicle (either side). Fuel fillers must be on the opposite end of the vehicle from the engine. Pickups may have the filler either behind the door(s) on the cab, or on the bed side.

Tires: No semi-slicks.

File Naming Convention:
Model: G2R5-(category)-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)

Engine: G2R5-(category)-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want)

Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if not already there), and post an ad in this thread BEFORE the round deadline.

Vehicle Categories This Round:

Economy Car (File naming convention: EC) - An inexpensive car, typically of a compact or subcompact body size. Usually powered by a 4-cylinder or smaller, though some cars of this era had a small 6-cylinder.

Utility (File naming convetion: UT) - Pickups, vans, and their ilk.

Intermediate (File naming convention: IM) - Larger than a compact, but smaller than a full-size. Cars of this era run the gamut from basic family cars to near-luxury, as many full-size models downsize in the shadow of the oil crisis.

Remember, vehicle categories are based on your company’s lore for the US market, there is not a specific body size requirement or type for any category…

NO NEW COMPANY REGISTRATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED

Round 5 deadline: Saturday August 29, 4:00 PM PST (UTC-8)

Companies now eligible in this competition:
ALL COMPANIES NOW ELIGIBLE (Except those withdrawn)

The following companies will be auto-dropped from the competition if they fail to submit this round:

Watson Motors
Silver-York
Platinum Motors

The following companies will incur a Relative Rating penalty if they fail to submit this round:

Courageux
Charge

3 Likes

Please read the vehicle regulations carefully! The 70’s were a time of many changes both to exterior requirements as well as under the hood.

3 Likes

@VicVictory when did each of these changes happen?

I ask because I would be conducting a facelift on my cars in 1974, then in 1976, and I’d like to introduce these required changes in the correct marketing year (I’ll restructure my facelifts if my planned dates don’t land on the correct dates for the fixture introductions)

For my supercar (I know right, Bogliq has a supercar!?!? Hahaha) the filler is on the top of the front fender, on both sides, so would that have to be moved onto the flank, or would a low slung supercar get a pass?

If it does need to be moved, what date did this requirement get introduced?

Also…

@FitRS

Don’t discontinue!!! Just re-issue it with optimised machinework on the driveshaft, cleaner burning fuel so it doesn’t get fouled so easily and put a complimentary engine cleaning kit in the trunk so that buyers have no excuse for not maintaining their A-R15 properly! :wink:

2 Likes