Good Cars Gone Bad - ROUND 1 (JUDGING IN PROGRESS)

Sorry for the radio silence! I’m in the engineering program at my university (it’s pain) so things got a bit rough, but I’m pretty much home free now.

With that out of the way, I am proud to announce: The post will be updated soon, and we go live TODAY!

That’s means,

April 28th start

And since I think this is plenty of time,

May 19th fin

Any thoughts are appreciated. Going once, twice…

Well,

WE OPEN THEN

what is the techpool for the challenge?

I knew I forgot something. Damn.

For now assume default +5, but I’ll give a higher cap if enough people ask for it. Updating main post.

Due to some personal matters, and the alarming lack of current entries, I may extend the deadline. Any takers, or should I just let this sit on the shelf for a while?

Oh, I didn’t realize the deadline was so soon.

In my case I can’t make the deadline, but would participate if it were extended

Then it shall be so! I might as well give it another couple weeks. June 2 will work fine, I presume

2 Likes

Let me help with an Entry. Is an Ad required/allowed?

2007 Apoapsis Triton

Cruise in bliss. Arrive in style

Not gonna have the chance to do as much styling as I wanted, really hoping the engineering carries this-

5 Likes

I see the vision, i like it.

2 Likes

AROUND 24 HOURS LEFT… is what I would say if I wasn’t probably gonna extend the deadline (again) because of irl stuff getting in the way. Not to mention I think I’ve done a mediocre job of promoting this (or maybe explaining it to begin with) so some extra effort and time is probably needed there.

Excited to see more good cars, though, hopefully!

VOLITOR METROPOLITAN

A CAR, YOU WANT TO ENJOY TOMORROW

…AND TOMORROW

6 Likes

Two entries just before the deadline? I’m not sure if it’s enough to justify a continuation of this challenge (where the cars get run down and end up worse for wear)… Unless the deadline were extended further.

A week or two ought to be enough. A little overtime never hurt anybody, probably.

One more week!

Edit: better yet, two! So I can get in the weekly challenge ad.

2 Likes

I hope I’m not alone in this, but the rules seem hard to… find (to me)

I have currently got an 80% complete car, but I’m struggling to understand whether it complies with rules or not. There doesn’t seem to be one post with all the rules in it, and that doesn’t inspire much confidence in whatever is written in them. I would very much recommend making sure everything a participant needs to know to enter is in the original post.

Yes ik I’m lazy but I think making the whole thing more compact could encourage more people to enter too.

1 Like

Of course! I can make it quite brief. Here goes:

MODEL YEAR: 2008
MARKET RANGE:

• Premium - Luxury
  • Midsize - Fullsize
  • Any body type; 4 seats minimum, full-size seats only

TECHPOOL: DEFAULT (+5 ALL)

NOTE: There are no hard limits on budget, but the vehicle should be reasonably mass-production capable, or semi-limited production if it’s a higher echelon car (i.e. luxury vs premium) with higher margins to offset the costs, etc.

TOP PRIORITIES - YOU WANT THESE

• Comfort
  • Drivability
  • Safety
  • “Stand-Out Style”

MID-RANGE PRIORITIES - THESE ARE GOOD TOO

• Prestige
  • Reliability
  • Sportiness
  • Practicality (will also be judged with a bit of ol’ fashioned logic since the stat # is weird)
  • Value (compared to what it would likely compete with in the market)

LESSER PRIORITIES - THESE COULD BE TIEBREAKERS

• Fuel economy
  • Service costs
  • All-weather performance (and/or all-terrain, based on target market)
  • Environmental resistance (see above)

NAME FORMAT: GCGB1 - [YOUR NAME HERE]

Perhaps I should’ve made the rule post separate from the challenge idea part, but oh well, lesson learned. I wanted to leave things open to entrants to decide what they think would best fit the market - mid-range premium car that sells all around or high-luxury barge with more profit margin-percentages than units produced total? Up to you!

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Yeah, this block should’ve been consolidated that way in the original post. I don’t see anything about seat count in the original for example, and I already see that I did the wrong year (which was in the flavor text paragraph tbf, but still somewhat easy to confuse with the challenge being set in 2007 but requiring 2008 cars).

I think part of the problem as well is that there are so few rules, which isn’t a problem by itself, but can be worrying for people used to longer rulesets; making it extra important to clearly display the rules there are in one place, and clarify that they are the only rules. (Edit: And I mean “rules” separate from the “priorities,” as well. The difference between what mistakes will get you disqualified, and what’ll just get a bad score, is kinda important.)

4 Likes

It’s my first time trying something like this, so all this feedback is greatly appreciated. I probably should’ve written it out twice instead of just once before posting. I’m open to answering any additional questions on things.

BTW - as far as the model year thing goes, you can resubmit if you want to, but you won’t get instabinned for that or something - I realized afterward that such a thing could be very confusing. I don’t know if it even makes much of a difference, making it '07 vs '08 - but either way, a resubmission is allowed to change that if desired.

4 Likes

woah hjuugoo submitting more than 3 seconds before the deadline

2008 Korrodiert OS-A45

Show who you are to the middle class
They are only there for you to harass
Express the wealth you’re able to amass
By just being part of the top brass

Look down upon them through the tinted glass
Of this useless box of exorbitant mass
You know they think your behavior is crass
But in reality you’re just that much of a badass:

Be a productive member of society my ass!

(laugh now)

Specs

Engine:

It has a 4.5L N/A all aluminium 90° V8

368 hp, 483 Nm, 6600 rpm redline

General:

Viscous AWD, 7-speed advanced auto, front double wishbones, rear multilink

0-100 km/h in 6.2 s, 286 km/h top speed, 2047 kg, 12.9 L/100 km (wow) , 48900 Moneys

idk, if you're that interested in my most probably bad decisions, you can like look at the file or something:

GCGB1_-hjuugoo-_Korrodiert_OS-A45.car|attachment (172.6 KB)

More pictures
excuse their shoddiness, my computer and willingness to withstand 2 fps are what they are

Also I made this image with an AI background changer, thought it could look cool:

idk whining textwall
Gosh I spent so much time on the design and it still just looks like a cayenne, I don't like this body and the fact there aren't really any alternatives that I am aware of. Yea I'm not very happy with the design, doesn't look very athletic or imposing, which is what I like the designs of similar SUVs (BMW X5, cayenne, range rover, vw touareg, audi Q7) for. It instead looks just cute and happy to be there, which is the opposite of what I wanted lol

This also shows the ppppppp (prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance) principle - I should have planned what I was gonna do before I made changes to the proportions using fixtures, meaning I couldn’t morph the body anymore when I found out how shit it looks

Also, 3D lights are a pain in the ass (mainly making the housings, I would love a mod that just makes vertical (with respect to the surface) 0-width walls of various shapes that begin slightly below the body, idk if that’s understandable at all). And interiors are for nerds

And all this to probably just end up as a realism bin lol

TL;DR: skill issue

also, also - how do I get a funky font in a forum post? Is there some list of fonts that discourse supports? I was just very confused by everything I managed to find online, and probably because I don’t know what the right thing to search for is

7 Likes

Excuse the typos, its Uber late and my toddlers are running rampant :smiley:

4 Likes