Grilles now work

Implemented in a very similar fashion technically to headlights, although was a little more painful to implement. (Due to an interesting bug I found eventually in the Kee engine, but there was plenty of swearing until that was found).

There is also the issue that you only ever affect half a car, (which come to think of it, will affect some asymmetrical features). This is due to performance concerns, you effectively edit the right hand side of a car and it gets mirrored.

As the grill is right on the edge of the mirroring, I had concerns that the grill would fail to intersect correctly with the body, as it might run off the edge down the centre line of the car, but I have revised the loading code to cope with this.

Anyway, enough yabber, here is a picture:

oh yeah, the Grille is untextured, blame daffy for that :stuck_out_tongue:

wow thats cool,looks kinda like ford focus :laughing:

You should see it in action (we will show a video soon) - its really dynamic and you can make a lot of different looking cars with it :slight_smile:

Keeps looking better and better :smiley:

Keep up the good work guys :wink:

Wow! :open_mouth: That looks great! Even untextures it looks really impressive. I’m getting more and more excited about this game :smiley:

That’s really cool :slight_smile: nice work guys! Also it is much more pleasing to get it to work after lots of frustration :wink:
Cheers!

what about wing mirrors? will we be able to shape them or will they be set and a handful to choose from?

sorry i know these are off topic but also can we add decals to the cars? like subaru do for example

Decals are theoretically possible, but large ones would encounter odd seams (because of the way the UVW mapping is done, google UVW mapping :stuck_out_tongue:), and really, are there that many cars with decals?

Might happen but probably not.

Wing mirrors you’ll be able to choose from a big range of, but probably not shape

thanks for the reply. I see what your saying about the decals - just wondered.

What about car colours? just solid or metallic, peal etc.

it’s looking good btw. Up there with F1 2011 and COD for my top games this year

This gets better every day :smiley:

[size=85](i realise that’s the point of development :wink: )[/size]

[quote=“haaallloooom”]This gets better every day :smiley:

[size=85](i realise that’s the point of development :wink: )[/size][/quote]

Oh… thats where we’ve been going wrong then, we’ve been trying to make it WORSE everyday :mrgreen:

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]Decals are theoretically possible, but large ones would encounter odd seams (because of the way the UVW mapping is done, google UVW mapping :stuck_out_tongue:), and really, are there that many cars with decals?
[/quote]

c’mon now… you’ve seen all those hatches etc from the 80’s & early 90’s… they loved their decals! It was almost compulsory to have some tacky fluoro orange and blue stripe or swirl on the side of the car! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“machalel”]
c’mon now… you’ve seen all those hatches etc from the 80’s & early 90’s… they loved their decals! It was almost compulsory to have some tacky fluoro orange and blue stripe or swirl on the side of the car! :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

Yeah, how will people know my 1980’s car is fast unless it has a big giant turbo sticker on it? :wink:

I’ll make some decals as mods, treated as door handles, or vents.